"Among the earliest churches organized in Butler County were the Baptist and Methodist groups. The old Shiloh Methodist Chuch was organized and came into existence at the head waters of Cane Creek in 1842. The Poplar Bluff Methodist Church was organized at an early day... The first Methodist church was erected in 1866 on the corner of Main and Cedar Streets.
"The First Baptist Church organized in Poplar Bluff assembled in the Methodist Church May 25, 1867. In 1883 a ...church building was erected in the western part of town on Vine Street. The membership and interests increased until it was necessary to erect a second curch edifice on Pine Street. The is the Second Baptist Church,
"The Pleasant Hill Baptist Churc (Negro) was organized in the early '80's. The Negro Methodists also in the early '80's organized a chuch in Poplar Bluff.
"The Christian Church very early had an organization in Poplar Bluff and Butler County. In 1885 Isaac M. Davidson donated a fine lot on the corner of Main and Oak Streets, and in that year a comfortable frame building was erected.
"The Rev. A.W. Wright arrived (from St. Louis) and held the first Presbyterian service on the evening of March 8, 1880." (There is a list of charter memebers if you need a lookup).
|This page created
and placed here by
Mary A. Hudson
This Page sponsored by Rootsweb
Butler County Web Site