This town, with a name identical with that of the county, occupies one of the four most prominent places�the northwestern corner. Its immediate surroundings are, Waseca county on the north; Faribault county on the west; Carlston township on the south, and Hartland on the east. It is constituted, as are all the townships in this county,of a full congressional township, containing 23,040 acres, known in legal parlance as Township 104, Range 23.
Freeborn is principally a prairie town, not so much inclined to be rolling as most of the towns, but level, and in places marshy. The lakes are surrounded by a small growth of the shrubby varieties of timber, which is all in the northwestern and southeastern parts of the town. The soil is a dark and sandy loam, with a sub-soil of clay and gravel, and almost the entire area is well adapted to agricultural purposes, and has a large cultivated acreage, yielding good crops of the cereals and other products of the latitude: and in the low lands hay is a most valuable crop. Fruit culture is more or less successful, although, as
yet, but little attention has been paid to this department of agriculture.
The soil and climate is remarkably well adapted to the cultivation of Amber cane, and considerable attention has been paid to this crop, several mills being now in active operation. This industry, being new to most of the settlers, but gradually receives attention, but this very fact ensures its permanency, and with the large and ever increasing demand for "sweetening" this must in time take its place in the front rank of crops raised here.
The township is well watered by numerous lakes and streams, which diversify the scenery and help make the land valuable for agricultural purposes. First in order should be mentioned the lake bearing the name of Freeborn, which extends fron Carlston township, in which a greater part of the lake lies, northward, and covers a few acres of land in section thirty-five, just south of the village of Freeborn. Lake George lies about one mile to the north, in sections twenty-six and twenty-seven. Still further north, in sections eleven and fourteen, is located another small body of water, known as Spicer Lake. Trenton Lake covers quite an area in sections two and three, and extends northward into Waseca county. Another body of water known as Prairie Lake, is located in the extreme southwestern part of the town. Two rivers known as the Big and Little Cobb Rivers, traverse the town from the southeast to the northwest, almost parallel, within about two miles of each other, and enter Faribault county.
The population of the town is mostly American, with a scattering of foreign element, less in number than almost any town in Freeborn county.
EARLY SETTLEMENT.
There is a preponderance of testimony that the first settlers in this township were T. K. Page and William Montgomery, who came from Dodge county, Wisconsin, and in July, 1856, located in section twenty-six and commenced improvements: the former erecting the first house, of logs. They remained several years, when they returned to their former homes.
About the same time, or possibly a little later in 1856, the next settlers, John W. Ayers and E. S. Dunn, made their appearance and secured farms in the northern part of the township, in sections two. three, and four. Mr. Ayers still resides upon his place, in prosperous circumstances, and Mr. Dunn remained upon his until 1857, when he re�moved to the southern part of the town, and in June took 320 acres of land in sections thirty-four and thirty-five, under the provisions of the law allowing it for town site purposes. He lived here until within the last year, when he removed to Missouri.
A little later in 1856, came Charles Giddings, Parker Page, and L. T. Scott, from Dodge county, Wisconsin, who all settled upon sections twenty-five and twenty-six. Mr. Giddings remained about six years, when he removed to Faribault. and from there to Blooming Prairie, Steele county, where he now lives. Mr. Page remained about eight years, when he went to his present home in Saline county, Nebraska. Mr. Scott still lives in the township, and is one of the most successful, as well as most prominent men. This party came with ox teams, bringing also a few cows.
Early in the summer of 1856, H. T. Sims and D. C. Davis had made their way into the town and secured homes. Sims located upon a tract of land in section ten, and lived there for a number of years: finally, in 1881, he quietly passed away, in the city of Albert Lea. Davis located upon a place in section two. which he improved and occupied for a time, and then removed to Waseca county.
October of 1856 witnessed the ingress of John Bostwick and William Purdie, from La Crosse county, Wisconsin, who took claims and settled to pioneer life. But two weeks of it, however, seemed to be sufficient, as they sold their provisions to the other settlers and left in disgust, for Wisconsin.
These are about all the pioneers who arrived and wintered this year. A few others had come, but they were merely transient, who staked a claim, now and then, and moved on to find their ideal spot elsewhere. The winter following. 1856-57, was very severe, and the settlers, not having had sufficient time to prepare for it even had they imagined what they should have to pass through, necessarily fared badly. They were obliged to haul their provisions on hand sleds from Wilton, eighteen miles distant, through the deep snow and piercing cold, many of them not more than half clad, and slim shelter when the trip was over.
The year, or spring and summer following, witnessed many accessions to the meagerly settled township, and the greater part of the government land was claimed and settled by actual residents.
The winter of 1857-58 was not so severe as the preceding one, and the residents fared very well. Mr. L. T. Scott, on one occasion, about this time, made a trip to St. Nicholas, where he purchased a sack of flour for 85, of the hotel keeper. This season there had been no crops raised, and settlers depended mainly upon people coming in for supplies.
MATTERS OF INTEREST.
It is claimed that the first birth in the township occurred on the 12th of February, 1857, and ushered into the light of this world, George, a son of Mr. and Mrs. L. T. Scott.
The first marriage took place in August, 1858, and united the destinies of Mr. John Wood and Miss Emily Allen.
Early in the spring of the same year the grim and sorrow laden messenger of death lowered itself in the midst of sparsely settled Freeborn and carried away its first victim in the person of George C. Snyder.
TRENTON POST-OFFICE.�This office was established as early as 1858 and still continues, supplying quite an area with mail. John W. Ayers was the fist and the present Postmaster, with the office in section three, near Trenton Lake, in the northern part of the township. The mail arrives once each week from Alden, by way of Freeborn. .
RELIGIOUS.
FREEBORN CEMETERY ASSOCIATION�Was originally organized in June, 1872, when the grounds were laid out containing six acres, just north of the village of Freeborn, in section thirty-five, the land being donated to the project by L. G. Pierce; it is well adapted by nature for a "last resting place," and the natural beauty has been enhanced by improvements, fencing, etc. The first buried here was of the remains of Mrs. E. S. Dunn, in 1858, some twelve years prior to the organization of the association.
There is also a cemetery located in the northern part of the town, in section eleven; which was set apart for burial purposes in 1862. The first person buried here was Norman Olin, and since the advent of his remains, a number, who have yielded to the irresistable call of death, have found their last earthly abode by his side, while many gleaming monuments rear their heads in perpetuation of the memory and virtues of the departed ones.
HISTORICAL SKETCH.
As a matter alike interesting to all who are at all concerned in what has, or is to be said of their home, we herewith present a short historical sketch of the township, prepared by D. G. Parker, President of the old settlers' Association, and read by him at their annual reunion in the spring of 1877. It is only proper to state that the matter was obtained by correspondence, and it is not improbable that errors have crept in. The sketch is published in the county papers as follows:
FREEBORN was settled by T. K. Page and William Montgomery, in July 1856. The former built a house of logs and a farm. The same season, being in advance of any other. Clark and West opened a small store in the win�ter of 1857-8, in the village, but left in the follow�ing spring. E. D. Rogers, a blacksmith, was the first mechanic. J. R. Giddings was the first lawyer, and located in 1860. In 1861 J. K. Moore offered his services as the first doctor. The first school was taught at the village in Squire Dunn's log house by Miss Emeline Allen, in the summer of 1857. The first schoolhouse was built by district No. 13, in the fall of 1858. In the same year L. T. Scott opened the ball-room of his hotel to Rev. Isaac Ling for the first religious service. In 1859 the Methodists perfected the first church organiza�tion, and in 1867 the Baptists built the first house of worship. The first title to land, according to the land office abstracts, was acquired by Nelson Everest, on section twenty-two, as early as the 9th of January, 1855, but as this was eighteen months before there was any settlement, it is believed to be an error of record. John Wood and Emeline Alien were the first parties married, and the ceremony was performed by E. S. Dunn. Esq., in 1858. The first child born was George F. Scott. February 14th, 1857. The first death was that of Emily Dunn, in the fall of 1858. L. T. Scott opened the first hotel and was the first Postmaster.
the latter in the winter of 1857-58. C. D. Giddings, J. W. Avers. And E. D. Rogers constituted the first board of Supervisors, and were elected, May 25th, 1858. John Wood, Clerk. The first board of school officers were J. S. Rickard, L. T. Scott, and C. D. Giddings.
GOVERNMENTAL.
The township of Freeborn came into existence as an official subdivision of the county, at a meeting held for the purpose of organization at the house of E. S. Dunn on the 11th of May, 1858. The meeting came to order and Charles D. Giddings was chosen moderator, and John Wood, clerk. After the usual preliminaries the polls were declared open for the election of officers for the ensuing year, which election resulted as follows: Supervisors. Charles D. Giddings, Chairman, E. D. Rogers, and John W. Avers: Clerk, John Wood; Assessor, Thomas W. Purdie: Collec�tor, John B. Purdie: Overseer of the poor. Joseph S. Rickard; Constables, John B. Purdie, and S. B. McGuire; Justices of the Peace, Edward Dunn and Henry Olin.
Public matters have progressed quietly and without interuption, the voters having been sufficiently careful to keep good, honest, and capable officers at the helm of the town affairs, and therefore there has been no useless waste of public money, or extravagance.
In 1865, during the rebellion, a special town meeting was help at which the sum of S1,800 was voted to pay men who should volunteer to enlist in the service and fill the quota assigned the town, the amount to be issued in bonds as directed by a committee for the purpose.
At the twenty-fourth annual town meeting, held in the spring of 1882, the following officers were elected, and are now in charge of the public business: Supervisors, L. T. Scott. Chairman. J. W. Ayers, and H. Stensrud; Clerk, J. Goward; Treasurer, O. S. Gilmore; Justices of the Peace, Geo. Miller and H. S. Olin: Assessor. J. B. Purdie; Constables, A. Andrews and C. Ayers.
It will be observed that some of the present officers were members of the first board elected in the town, at the meeting on the llth of May, 1858.
POPULATION.�The census of 1870 gave Freeborn a population of 362. The last census, taken in 1880, reports 480 for this town; showing an in�crease of 118.
FKEEBORN VILLAGE.
This is the only village in the township, and may be said to be the only one in this portion of the county; and, although as yet not large, it may, at almost any time, get a railroad which will connect it with the outer world, and commence an ex�pansion which will bring it into prominent notice, as it has an excellent location for a village, and is
surrounded by some of the most productive farming lands in the county. It is located in the south-eastern part of the town, in sections thirty-four and thirty-five, on the north bank of Freeborn Lake.
The land upon which the village stands was claimed for town site purposes in June, 1857, by E. S. Dunn, who had arrived in the township the year previous and located in the northern part, and the village was platted the same year.
It is claimed that the first store was started in the winter of 1857-58, by Clark & West, and in the spring following were succeeded by Jason Goward, who may be said to have opened the first substantial store, as he put in a fair stock of gen�eral merchandise, which he continued to manage for about ten years. In 1861. another store was opened, by the Southwick Brothers, which is still in active operation.
FKEEBOEN POST-OFFICE.�This office was originally established in 1857, with L. T. Scott as Postmaster, on the site of the village of Freeborn. In 1858, Mr. J. Goward was commissioned Post�master, and the mail was received once each week, via the Mankato and Otronto, Iowa, mail route, Henry Lacy being the mail carrier. In 1867 J. Goward resigned and David Southwick received the appointment, holding the same for about three years, when A. Munn took the mail pouch keys and continued in the capacity of Postmaster until the year 1876 rolled around, when he relieved the usual monotony of affairs by committing suicide. His principal bondsman, J. Goward, took charge of the office, and removed it to the store of T. A. Southwick, who received the appointment of deputy, and in a few weeks was made Postmaster, which position he still occupies. Mail arrives daily from Alden, and supplies the Trenton Post-office with mail matter.
At the present writing a resume of what the village contains, would read something like this:� two general stores by M. A. Southwick and O. S. Gillmore; a black-smith shop by D. A. Scoville; a wagon repair shop, by J. H. Clarke; broom factory by L. T. Scott; shoemaking shop by A. An�drews. And a population, it is said, of about one hundred.