This township is one of the center subdivisions of Freeborn county, being separated by one tier from the north, and an equal distance from east and west county lines. Its contiguous neighbors are, Bath township on the north: Riceland on the east; Albert Lea on the south, and Manchester on the west, embracing the territory of town 103, range 21, containing thirty-six sections, or 23,040 acres, of which there are very few unsuitable for agricultural purposes, and the greater part is already under a high state of cultivation.
The town has no lakes, and no streams of importance. Bancroft Creek is the principal one; rising in the northwestern part of the town it takes a southerly course, and finally enters Fountain Lake. A small body of water, dignified with the appellation of Itaska Lake, covers a few acres of land in the southwestern portion of section thirty-one.
The general make-up of the locality would be called prairie and oak openings. The early settlers say that originally, at least three-fourths of the area of the town was covered with a growth of burr and jack oak and other timber of the smaller varieties, interspersed with natural meadows and prairie. The greater part of the former growth of timber has been removed, and the rich country transformed into beautiful and productive farms. There are, however, a number of groves left, one upon section nineteen, another in section five, and in a number of other localities small groves mark the remains of former miniature forests. A strip of valuable prairie, known as the Paradise Prairie, enters the town in the southwestern corner and extends northeasterly almost across
the entire town, gradually disappearing towards Clark's Grove, in the northeast corner.
The locality known as Oak Hill is the most elevated tract of land in the township, taking its name from the variety of timber with which it was formerly covered. It makes itself visible on the surface in the northwestern extremity of the town, and extends easterly across the entire township, embracing the northern tier of sections.
The farmers here, as a rule, are in comfortable circumstances, and the average appearance of the farm buildings indicate their thrift and energy, the town having the reputation of being one of the most valuable farming localities in the county. The willow hedge is used to a considerable extent for fencing purposes, and is an excellent medium for giving the prairie a picturesque and pleasant appearance. J. C. Frost has four miles of this hedge, and has also cultivated fruit with success, having at this writing an orchard of 400 bearing and thrifty apple trees, of nearly twenty years growth. His brother. M. L. Frost, also has about three miles of this beautiful and useful hedge.
The soil on the prairie is mostly a rich dark loam, underlain with a rich sub-soil of clay: while in the timber, or oak opening, it is of a lighter nature, with a marked tendency, in places, to clayeyness and a sub-soil of sand and gravel.
The township has no railroad through it, and therefore has not been the scene of the usual railroad assistance bond issue. It has had two villages, or hamlets, the rise and decline of each of which will be treated under proper heads.
EARLY SETTLEMENT.
Early in the spring of 1855, a party of Eastern people left Wisconsin, where they had stopped for some time, and headed toward the prairie and timber land of Southern Minnesota. They con�sisted of Mr. Bethuel Lilly and wife, and the Colby family, John and his wife Hannah and six children. They arrived at Caledonia, Houston county, on the 18th of May, 1855, and here part of the little colony decided to remain, while the balance should push on toward the West in search of future homes. The lota fell upon Charles C. and Sarah Jane Colby, a son and daughter of John, mentioned above, and Bethuel Lilly and wife. They took the ox teams, and in July pushed on toward the setting sun. They made their way direct to Bancroft, and selected farms in the southwestern part of the town, about the future site of Itasca village. C. C. Colby took the place on which the village was afterwards platted, and also selected a farm for his father, John Colby, who was yet in Caledonia. He remained until after the war, and finally found his way to New York City, where he is agent for the Musical Art Journal. Mr. Lilly remained upon his place for about one year; finally went to Kansas, enlisted and sacrificed his life for his country during the rebellion.
The following spring, in March, of 1856, the balance of the party made their appearance, and settled upon the place which the son had selected, just over the line in Albert Lea township, now occupied by Daniel Gibson. The party consisted of John Colby, his wife, and several children. The old gentleman lived upon his place until June, 1876, when he peacefully yielded up the burdens of life to enter upon eternity, and his widow still lives with her son-in-law, Mr. Leander J. Thomas, of Albert Lea.
Guttorm Bottelson, a native of Norway, who had remained for a time in Wisconsin, arrived a few weeks after John Colby, in 1856, and commenced a sojourn which he still contiiiues, upon a place near Itasca. He came with ox teams, bringing his family and considerable stock.
The Frost family were also among the most prominent and active pioneers, and still remain in the town; but they are treated at length under the head of "Biographical."
Others who were also early pioneers in this part of the town, were Andrew Bottelson, who is yet living upon his place in the southwestern part of the town; John and Andrew Hermanson, Dr. Burnham, and others whose names have been forgotten.
In the meantime the northern part of the town began to receive the attention of the early
comers; but ere this claims were getting to be scarce, except second hand, and in the same ratio that they were scarce, so they became valuable. The settlement north of the center of the town is more universally known as the �Oak Hill neighborhood.�
A. C. Hall, a native of Maine, was the first to make his appearance, and he selected his domain in sections five and eight, in the middle of September, 1856, where he put up a shanty and made some improvements; but was not really an actual settler, as he soon sold out and removed to Iowa.
Andrew Barlow was the next to arrive, mak�ing his appearance in September. He "footed it" all the way from McGregor, leaving his family, and after taking a claim, left for Iowa in search of work. While gone, the weather seemed to be antagonistic to his best interests, as the snow was very deep, and he was consequently unable to return to his proposed home, so his place was jumped; and when he finally returned in the spring of 1859, he purchased the farm back for $20. He still lives upon the place in comfortable circumstances.
H. E. Loomis, from Erie county, Pennsylvania, came by stage from Dubuque to near Merry's Ford, on the Cedar River, Iowa, which is near the southeastern corner of the county, and from there walked to Bancroft, arriving and selecting his place on the first day of November, 1856. He erected a small shanty and made some improvements, and, as it was a lonely sojourn, bought a yoke of oxen, as he says, "to talk to."
At one time during the winter he went four miles for a load of hay, a job which engaged him from early morn till late at night, and upon his return could take the object and fruits of his entire day's labor in his arms and feed it ere another day should dawn. On the 26th of December, he started with his oxen to Delaware county, Iowa, and remained there until February, 1857. when he returned, bringing with him his sister, Louisa Loomis, and Oscar and Fannie Ward, the latter is now Mrs. George H. Prescott. The last two named were aged twenty and fifteen years, respectively. The entire party came in a sleigh, camping out on the way, finally arriving at Benjamin Frost's house, in the southeastern part of the town, where the manager of the party, Mr. Loomis, left them and proceeded to his selected home in section eight; prepared a fire and set matters in shape for his guests. The balance of the party, whom he had left at Frost's, followed on foot, on the top of the snow, there being a heavy crust.
They arrived and got settled in safety, and William Oscar Ward selected a farm for his father. Louisa Loomis is now Mrs. Caswell, living in Iowa. H. E. Loomis still lives upon the farm he first selected, a most prominent and popular man.
Early in the fall of 1857. Jeremiah Ward, a native of New York, father of Oscar and Fannie, arrived and located upon the place selected for him. and lived upon it until 1879. when he was called upon to cross the dark river from earthly to eternal existence, and his loss was severely felt by the many friends who honored him. His widow still lives in the town.
Early in the spring of 1857. Albert Loomis, from Erie county. Pennsylvania, came to the Hole-in-the-ground of H. E. Loomis, and immediately took a claim adjoining, in section nine, where he made his home for about ten years, when he went back to Pennsylvania.
About a week later, Cyrus Prescott, a native of Maine, who had made his home from childhood in Ohio, made his appearance in the town, coming byway of Hastings; and making a claim in section five took up his abode with H. E. Loomis' people, while he made improvements sufficient to live upon his place. He resided here until 1876, when he moved to Albert Lea. and now lives in Dakota Territory.
Later in the season Cyrus' father, Daniel, joined his son, and made him a habitation and a home in section four, where he remained until a few years ago, and now, at the ripe old age of eighty, lives upon the farm of H. E. Loomis.
In June, 1857, the next pioneer drifted in. in the person of William H. Long, a native of Newark, New Jersey, and commenced a sojourn upon a farm in sections five and eight, which he still owns; but in the spring of 1882, he removed to city of Albert Lea.
In the spring of 1858. Charles Dills, a native of the Empire State, came and purchased a place in section nine, of Charles E. Teueycke, who had previously secured it. Mr. Dills still lives there.
Ere this time nearly two-thirds of the land in this locality was taken up by actual settlers, and already a stride in the advance of civilization was perceptible. Among those who had arrived.
whose names and actions have not been dotted upon the pages of memory, a few more will be chronicled. George H. Prescott. who still lives in section four. G. Thompson, who took land in section eight and is now in the West. Andrew Knudson took land in section nine, and is also in the West. Messrs. Wells and Clark took land, but soon left.
Jeremiah Ward is mentioned elsewhere. He was a carpenter and stone mason by trade: but could do a good job at almost anything, and his famous old -'turn keys' are yet remembered as ferocious instruments in his hands, with a shudder, by many of the old pioneers: as they were the means of extracting all the poor teeth in the neighborhood. It is said in the winter of 1857-58, he pulled a tooth for David Blakely. and after the turnkeys were set, either head or tooth had to come, and for a time it was doubtful which.
VARIOUS MATTERS OF INTEREST
The first marriage of parties from this place, occurred on the 13th of January. 1857. and united the destinies of two couples, at the residence of John Colby, just over the line in Albert Lea. An account of this is found in the article on the town of Albert Lea, to which we refer the reader.
The first marriage within the boundaries of Bancroft took place the spring of 1858, the high contracting parties being Mr. John Kaiser and Miss Margaret Baker. The event took place in the �old-time" village of Bancroft, where the Poor Farm now is, the ceremony being performed by Rev. S. G. Lowry, a Presbyterian minister. The parties now reside in Austin.
The first death in the township occurred in the spring of 1857, and was a one day old child of Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Mickleson.
The first death of a matured person was the demise of Margaret Horning, in April, 1859. Her remains were deposited in the graveyard at Al�bert Lea.
ITASCA CEMETERY.�This burial ground is located in the southwestern part of section thirty-one
on the farm of A. M. Burnham. In 1861, Samuel Henderson, a resident of Pickerel Lake, died, and was the first person buried here. Others' remains were also deposited here, and about the year 1870, the grounds were regularly arranged, platted, and set aside for the purpose. This location was selected by Mrs. Burnham, and the site does justice to her taste, as it is a beautiful spot. She also selected the last resting place that her remains now occupy.
OFFICIAL RECORD.
The first meeting in the township for the purpose of effecting the organization of Bancroft, was held on the 11th of May, 1858, at the house of Ole Olson. The meeting came to order by the appointment of N. H. Ellickson, Chairman; W. N. Oliver. Moderator, and J. M. Clark, Clerk. E. D. Porter and Gardner Frost were elected overseers of roads, and a resolution was then adopted declaring that all cattle, mules, and horses, except stallions over two years of age, could run at large.
The election of officers was next taken up, and the following gentlemen for the various positions of trust, were declared elected: Supervisors, D. Blakely, Chairman, J. M. Clark, and C. C. Colby; Clerk, G. M. Frost; Assessor, Daniel Prescott; Treasurer, Ole Ellingson; Overseer of Poor, Henry Loomis; Justices of the Peace, S. Hanson and S. S. Watson; Constables, H. Bedells and E. G. Franklin.
For several years the annual meetings were held at the store in Bancroft (now the county Poor Farm); at present they are held in the residence of Ole Gulbrandson, in section sixteen.
The present officers of the township are as follows: Supervisors, M. E. Hewett, Chairman, Ole Narveson, and Andrew Barlow; Clerk, Erick Johnsrud; Treasurer, N. Sandburg; Assessor, A. O. Moen; Justices of the Peace, E. K. Pickett and C. Nelsen; Constables, C. H. Dills and T. B.
English.
EMBRYOTIC VILLAGES.
BANCROFT VILLAGE.�In the fall of 1856, a village was platted under this name in sections twenty-eight and twenty-nine, which figured high in the contest for the county seat, as narrated elsewhere.
Thomas Edgar erected the first store, in the spring of 1857, and put in a stock of goods. This building was removed to Austin in 1859.
The first building put up on the village site was a shanty erected just previous to the store, in 1857, by W. N. Oleson. He had first lived in a "dug-out," to which he brought his wife, but finally gave up this mode of life and became civilized. Oleson brought his wife from Shell Rock on a hand sled, as the snow was so deep.
A steam saw mill was moved to the village from Hastings by the Town Site Company, which was set up and operated by B. F. Ross and Addison Caswell. The cost of the mill was about 82,500, it occupying a building 20x40, and for two years the mill kept piling up the sawdust of hard wood: but, alas! the entire concern was finally, in 1859, sold for taxes.
The Town Site Company commenced, soon after, the erection of a hotel, by digging a cellar: but this was a failure and was given up.
A saloon was started by a Swede named Peterson, which had a brief existence.
A newspaper was next started by David Blakely, under the flaming banner of the "Bancroft Pioneer," which, for a few short months, distributed its newsy wares among its limited number of subscribers. Mr. Blakely is a native of Vermont, and is now the Minneapolis editor of the "Pioneer Press."
A Post-office was also established, which has since been removed to Itasca, although it still bears the name of Bancroft.
When the county seat matter was settled, all hopes of the village amounting to anything vanished, and the lots which were purchased were afterward sold for taxes, and in 1870, Freeborn county bought the entire property, and it is now used as the County Poor Farm.
ITASCA VILLAGE.�The land where this village had its rise and decline was taken under the government laws, in 1855, by C. C. Colby and Samuel Batchelder. In the winter following the idea of a village was conceived and carried out by the platting and recording of Itasca, C. C. Colby being the surveyor. The scene was laid in section thirty-one of Bancroft, about the little body of water called by the same name as the village.
A newspaper was started here by Dr. Burnham, with a finely equipped office, and the doctor en�gaged a man to run it for him.
Soon after the preliminary steps were taken, a man named Dunbar, started a store by putting in a very limited stock of goods. A Post-office was established with C. C. Corby as Postmaster, and mail was received regularly. The name of this office was "Freeborn Springs" and prior to its establishment the citizens were obliged to go as far as Osage, Iowa, for mail matter. After a time the office was changed to Bancroft, and Mr. Josh.
Dunbar was made Postmaster. The store was continued for many years.
In 1857 Pres. Hall and James Longworth started a store which they ran for a few years, making a profit, such as buying calico for 11 cents and selling it for 60 cents per yard.
Dr. Burnham arrived at an early day, got a large farm and erected thereon a $7,500 house, hauling the lumber by water from Shell Rock: coming up the Shell Rock river and thence by way of the lake. The energetic doctor had a little brig, called "Itasca," built, which continued to ply up and down the water for a number of years. Through him a number of buildings were erected, and his energy enbued life into the whole locality; but all was of no avail.
As soon as the county seat was settled the interest in the village began to wane, the stores pulled out one by one, for pastures green, and the village now lives only in the memories of those who were connected with it in its brief career.