Cottonwood County MN History--Storden Twp. and the Village of Storden
Storden Twp. and the Village of Storden
Cottonwood County, Minnesota
Storden is situated in the northwestern part of Cottonwood county, it
being the second from the north and the second from the western line of the county, with Highwater at the north, Amboy at the east, Amo at the south and Westbrook township at the west. It comprises all of congressional township 107, range 37, west. The Scandinavian, people are the largest landowners in this part of the county. The village of Storden is within this township.
Like many parts of the county, Storden originally had many low tracts of land, and small lakes abounded, but they were really little more than prairie swamps or sloughs, which, with the advent of the settlers, soon vanished by draining, until today the waste land in this township is quite small. The soil is of a rich quality and the grains and grasses grow in great luxuriance.
The population of the township in 1895 Was 439; in 1900 it was 548 but by the taking of the Federal census in 1910 it was placed at 659.
This township was set apart as a separate civil township at the meeting of the county commissioners in March, 1875, and was first named Norsk, but subsequently changed to Storden. It comprises township 107, range 37, west, and was detached from Westbrook township. The first election was held at the house of Martin Hallan, March 30, 1875.
VILLAGE OF STORDEN
Storden was platted by the Interstate Land Company, July 8, 1903, and is situated in the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 29, township 107, range 37, west. It is on the Curry branch of the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha railroad. Among the first historic events of this village were the following:
The auction sale of lots in what is now the village of Storden took place on July 9, 1903. The village is located in the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 29. The village, although quite young, shows great signs of growth and prosperity, new and modern buildings being erected as fast as workmen can put them up.
The first man on the ground to do business was Mr. C. H. Shaner, who conducted a general store, where the confectionery store now stands. Nelson & Redding came next and occupied the store room now used by Mr. A. H. Anderson.
The first school teacher to teach in the village was Laura Iverson, who taught in the school building moved in from the Kahoi Anderson farm, about three-fourths of a mile north of the town.
John Sorenson built the first residence in the village, the one now occupied by the postmaster, James Morris. The house now occupied by Andrew Skoby was built about the same time.
The first brick building was erected by the Farmers' State Bank in. the summer of 1916.
The first concrete building in the village was constructed in the spring of 1916 and is now occupied by Nelson & Christopherson as a garage, the first of its kind.
Among the very first business men and mechanics of the village were: C. H. Shaner, grocer; A. P. Frederickson, hotel; Roy Egger, blacksmith; John Skovley & Son, livery; A. M. Clark & Son, hardware; Henry Peterson, drayman; L. Dolliff, lumber company; St. John, elevator.
The depot at Storden was erected in 1904. The first business was that of C. H. Shaaer; the first residence was erected by John N. Sorenson.
John Sorenson formerly owned the land now occupied by the village. The town was platted by the Interstate Land Company, of Minneapolis, to whom Mr. Sorenson gave a one-half interest in the lots.
The plat of Storden is high, dry and sightly and not a finer and more natural business site exists on the Curry branch. The village is surrounded by hardy and industrious farmers, whose land is under a high state of cultivation. The main products of the farms are corn and oats, although an abundance of wheat, rye and barley are marketed each year. Five years ago, land could be procured in the community at sixty dollars per acre, while most of the land is now worth around one hundred and twenty-five dollars per acre.
The Storden postoffice was established in 1903, with John Sorenson as the first postmaster. He served until December 1, 1905, when James Morris, the present postmaster, was appointed. The large postal receipts, which are larger than towns several times its size, bespeak credit for the postmaster and the community. For the past year they amounted to four thousand five hundred and eighty-seven dollars and twenty-six cents. One rural route seerves the community.
In 1916 the business interests of Storden were in the hands of the following:
Auto garage—Nelson & Christopherson.
Bank—First State, Farmers' State.
Blacksmith—Andrew Jorgenson, Edward Smestad.
Creamery—Storden Creamery Association.
Dray line—Adolph Olson.
Elevator—Farmers' Elevator, Olaf Lande.
Grocer—Farmers' Cooperative Store.
General dealers—A. H. Andersen, Storden Co-operative Company.
Hardware dealer—Storden Hardware Company.
Harness dealer—A. H. Nacarinus.
Implement dealer—Saleen & Jenson Company.
Lumber dealer—L. P. Doliiff & Company.
Meat market—John Spiecker.
Produce dealer—C. H. Shaner.