Cottonwood County MN History--Carson Twp. and the Village of Delft
Carson Twp. and the Village of Delft
Cottonwood County, Minnesota
Carson is one of the southeastern townships in Cottonwood county, and comprises all of congressional township 106, range 35, west, hence is six miles square. The chapter on geology in this volume treats of the soil, lakes and streams of this township. There were originally numerous ponds and prairie lakes, but for the most part these have been drained and their former beds are cultivated or used as pasture lands, the soil being very rich and deep—almost inexhaustible. Delft is a small hamlet in this township, a station point on the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha Railroad, which runs through the southwestern part of the township, en route from Jeffers to Bingham Lake.
The population of Carson township in 1895 was 655; in 1900 it was 623 and the United States census in 1910 gave it as having 672.
With the passing of years the land within this part of the county has materially improved, and since tiling and ditching have been so successfully carried out, the territory is almost all reclaimed from its former wet state to one of cultivation. The hundreds of prosperous homes observed on every hand are but an index as to what intelligent management and hard toil will do for a country. Lands have risen in value, until today there are few parts of Cottonwood county more sought after by home-seekers than Carson township.
This civil township was organized by the board of county commissioners at their meeting in July, 1871, when township 106, range 35, west was declared to be the civil township of Carson.
VILLAGE OF DELFT
Delft is situated in the northwest quarter of the southwest quarter of section 18, township 106, range 35, west, and was platted by the Inter-State Land Company June 18, 1902.
Town plats of the village of Delft were filed in the office of the register of deeds on June 25, 1902, by the Inter-State Land Company, of which O. O. Whited was vice-president. The plat consisted of eleven block in township of Delton. This was the place where the railroad and warehouse commission ordered the railroad company to put in a sidetrack, in response to the petition of the farmers, in order that they might put in an elevator. Not so very long after the elevator had been built the village had its first fire, which burned the fanners' elevator, the coal sheds and the railroad company's stockyards. All were rebuilt immediately after. At present the business of the village is chiefly in the hands of Jacob Rupp, who conducts a general store; John Rupp, who conducts a hardware store; and the Farmers Elevator Company, who buy and sell grain, have charge of the coal sheds and do a general implement business.