Cottonwood County MN Biographies--Walter Fuller
Walter A. Fuller, a well-known, well-to-do and progressive farmer of lakeside township, Cottonwood county, owner of a fine farm of six hundred and forty acres in the vicinity of Bingham Lake, is a native of Iowa, born on a farm in College township, Linn county, that state, August 31, 1862, son of Ambrose and Alice J. (Woodward) Fuller, both of whom were born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, members of old families in that community.
Ambrose Fuller, who is now living at Elmira, Illinois, is a son of Ambrose and Hannah (Munson) Fuller, both natives of Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, the former of whom was seventh in descent from the Fuller who came to this country in the good ship "Mayflower" in 1620. Grandfather Fuller and his family left their home in Pennsylvania in the early
days of the settlement of the country southwest of Chicago and home-steaded a tract of land in Stark county, Illinois, where he established his home and where he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives. Their son, Ambrose, grew up on that homestead farm and as a young man moved over into the neighboring state of Iowa and settled in Linn county, where, in 1853, he homesteaded a tract of land and began farming. In 1885 he sold his farm there and moved to Marshall county, same state, where his wife died the next year, 1886. Four years later, in 1890, he returned to his old home in Stark county, Illinois, and is now conducting a general store in the village of Elmira, that county. He is a Republican and a member of the Presbyterian church. He and his wife were the parents of seven children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth, the others being James M., Ambrose C, George A., Harriet J., Myrtle O. and Ralph W.
Walter A. Fuller received his schooling in the schools of College township, Linn county, Iowa, not far from Cedar Rapids, and grew to manhood a valuable assistant to his father in the work on the farm. He was about twenty-three years of age when the family moved to Marshall county and there he began farming on his own account. In 1890, when his father moved back to Illinois, Walter A. Fuller moved up into O'Brien county, Iowa, where he was engaged in farming until he came to Minnesota in 1913. He had done well in his farming operations in Iowa and upon locating in Cottonwood county bought the whole of section 15, in Lakeside township, and there established his home. Though the place was partially improved when Mr. Fuller took possession, he has made material improvements to the same, particularly in the way of tiling and otherwise draining, and now has one of the best-kept and most profitably cultivated farms in that neighborhood. In addition to his extensive general farming he has given considerable attention to the raising of high-grade cattle and has a fine herd of Shorthorns. Mr. Fuller is a Republican and gives a good citizen's attention to local political affairs.
Mr. Fuller has been married twice. By his first wife, who was Lillian R. Macy, he has five children, Mary L., Joseph A., Ambrose, Rachel and Orlando. Upon the death of the mother of these children he married, secondly, in 1903, Catherine A. Davis, daughter of L. L. Davis, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and to this union two sons have been born, Theodore and Walter A. Mr. and Mrs. Fuller are members of the Methodist church and take a proper part in all local good works.