Cottonwood County MN Biographies-Mark Charles Ware
"History of Cottonwood and Watonwan Counties of Minnesota, 1916"
Mark Charles Ware, one of the best-known and most progressive young farmers of Lakeside township, Cottonwood county, whose home at "Clover Leaf Stock Farm" is one of the pleasantest in the Bingham Lake neighborhood, is a native son of Minnesota and has lived in this part of the state all his life. He was born at Mapleton, in the neighboring county of Blue Earth, January 25, 1880, son of C. E. and Eliza Jane (Moore) Ware, the former a native of the state of New York and the latter of Wisconsin, who are now living retired in the pleasant village of Bingham Lake.
C. E. Ware was born in the city of Buffalo, New York, March 15, 1849, son of George M. and Anna (Kelly) Ware, both natives of that same state, the former of whom is still living, a prominent resident of Faribault county, this state. George M. Ware was a buggy-maker in Buffalo. About 1858 he moved to Medina county, Ohio, where he lived until 1862, in which year he and his family joined the tide of emigration that then was setting in so strongly towards the Northwest and came to Minnesota, settling in Blue Earth county. The next year, in 1863, he moved down into Faribault county, where he had taken a homestead the year before, and there he established his home, becoming one of the most substantial and influential pioneers of that section. George M. Ware, who is still living on his old homestead in Faribault county, has been married twice. To his union with Anna Kelly two children were born, C. E. and Catherine. Upon the death of the other of these children, Mr. Ware married Lydia Mattingly and to this second union three children were born, Eva, Francis and William Vincent.
C. E. Ware was about nine years old when his parents moved from Buffalo to Ohio and was about thirteen when they came to Minnesota in 1862. He completed his schooling in this state and early learned the carpenter's trade, becoming a building contractor, which business he followed until 1900, his last contract having been the completion of an eighteen-thousand-dollar residence. It was in 1900 that C. E. Ware bought a quarter of a section of partly-improved land in Lakeside township, Cottonwood county, and there established his home, becoming one of the most progressive farmers and stockmen thereabout. He erected practically all the buildings on the place with the exception of the dwelling; including a fine bam and a silo, and brought the farm up to a high state of productivity. In addition to his general farming, Mr. Ware went in somewhat extensively for stock raising, with particular attention to the raising of pure-bred Shorthorn cattle and did very well. He named his farm "Clover Leaf Stock Farm," and there he made his home until 1915, in which year he rented the place to his son, Mark C. Ware, the subject of this sketch, and he and his wife retired to the village of Bingham Lake, where they are now living. The elder Mr. Ware is independent in his political views and has for years given close attention to local political affairs. During his long residence at Mapleton he served for some time as a member of the village council and for six years was village justice. He also served for seven years as chairman of the township board and in other ways did his part in the public service. His wife is a member of the Methodist church and he has ever been a contributor to the beneficences of the same. It was on December 6, 1874, that C. E. Ware was united in marriage to Eliza Jane Moore, who was born in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, December 20, 1851, daughter of Henry and Sallie (Clark) Moore, and to this union five children have been born, George H., Grace, Mark C,, Florence M. and May L.
Mark C. Ware, who is now occupying "Clover Leaf Stock Farm" and who is developing the same in accordance with modern methods of agriculture, has given his best thought to the subject of farming and is making a success of his operations. Upon completing his schooling at Mapleton, he took his place on his father's farm and became a thoroughgoing farmer. Upon his father's retirement in 1915 lie took over the active management of the home place and he and his wife have since then made their home there, Mrs. Ware, who, before her marriage, was Jennie Olena Larson, taking an equal interest with him in the progress of their agricultural operations. In addition to his general farming, Mr. Ware keeps up an active interest in stock raising and has a fine herd of Shorthorn cattle. He is a Republican and gives his earnest attention to local political affairs. In 1911 he was elected township clerk and served until 1916. Mrs. Ware is a member of the Norwegian Lutheran church and both she and her husband take an earnest interest in the general good works of their home community. Mr. Ware is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, and in the affairs of that organization takes a warm interest.