Cottonwood County MN Biographies--George LeTourneau
The present efficient and popular postmaster at Windom, Cottonwood county, is George Le Tourneau, a man who has proved to be a valuable citizen in the locality of which this history treats.
Mr. Le Tourneau was born at Fayette, Kennebec county, Maine, November 8, 1851, and is a son of Jacques and Mary E. (Keating) Le Tourneau, natives of Canada and Maine, respectively. The father spent his earlier years in Canada, then came to Maine, where he married and established his home, and there his wife died when the subject of this sketch was three years old.
George Le Tourneau grew to manhood in his native community in the Pine Tree state and received a common-school education. When nineteen years old he went to Boston, Massachusetts, where he clerked in a grocery store for a year, then engaged in that grocery business for himself
for a period of eight years. In 1878 he came to Windom, Minnesota, arriving here in July. He worked at various things in this locality until 1882, when he launched out in the feed and grain business in partnership with C. W. Gillam, which line they continued two years. In 1884 Mr. Le Tourneau opened up a meat market which he conducted alone until 1894, in which year he was appointed postmaster, during Cleveland's second administration. Soon thereafter he erected the substantial building in which the postoffice is now maintained. He served as postmaster for four years. In 1886 he was elected a member of the school board, on which he served continuously until 1915. He has been a member of the village council for some time, and back in the eighties was village recorder.
When he was operating the meat market, he started an ice business,
which he did not take personal charge of until 1904, and continued to give it his close attention until 1911. He has also been interested in farming in this vicinity since he first came here, owning a valuable place of eighty acres. On July 1, 1915, he was again appointed postmaster, which office he is still in charge of.
Mr. Le Tourneau was married in 1880 to Mrs. Mary B. Smith of Windom, a daughter of J. W. Highleyman. She came to Windom in 1871 with her former husband, Doctor Smith, a pioneer physician in Cottonwood county. To Mr. and Mrs. Le Tourneau two children have been born, namely: Daisy Lenore, born July 22, 1884, and Louis I., July 15, 1888.
Mr. Le Tourneau has long been prominent in fraternal circles in this section of the state. He is a member of the Modern Woodmen of America, the Woodmen of the World, the Ancient Order of United Workmen, and has been a member of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons since 1879; he was master of the blue lodge three different years. He has been a member of the chapter since 1886, and was high priest for fifteen years. He has been a member of the commandery since 1891 and of the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine since 1892. Politically, he is a Democrat.