Van Buren Michigan Obits
Page 2

  Death of Mrs. W.N. White.

  The remains of Mrs. W.N. White formerly Miss Kate Hull, were brought to Bangor last Tuesday evening, she having died at her home in Elkhart, In.,
on Monday, Jan. 4th.
  She was married to Mr. White, Nov. 23, 1887 and accompanied her husband to Flushing, where they lived until last spring when they moved to Elkhart. Mrs. White was 23 years, 5 months. and 25 days old at the time of her demise, and leaves two little boys, one of them three years old, and the other but three days old, besides a loving husband to mourn her loss.

  The funeral was conducted from the northside church on Wednesday. Eld. Moffatt preaching an appropriate sermon, the church being crowded to its fullest capacity, and the remains were taken to Flushing for interment, leaving Bangor on the evening train. (Page 171)

Bangor Advance, 1892

submitted by - gregoryhull@earthlink.net

Death of John Brown
Died at the residence of J.B. Wilcox in Arlington on Saturday, February 6, 1892, Mr. John S. Brown, aged 77 years, 11 months and 8 days.  The funeral was conducted under the direction of Coffinbury Lodge, No. 204, F.& A.M., from the M.E. church in Bangor on Monday last and a long funeral train followed the remains to the Taylor cemetery, where they were laid to rest.

John S. Brown was born at Amenia, Dutchess county, New York, Feb. 28, 1814.  His father was a man of some prominence having been a member of the state senate of New York and one of the first Associate Judges of Cass county, Mich., under the territorial laws.  Mr. Brown came with his father to Michigan and settled at Edwardsburg in Cass county in 1835.  He was married to Julia A. Sage in 1838.  Eight children was the result of this union, of whom five are now living.  He removed with his family to Bangor in 1868 and cleared and settled on a farm in Arlington township.  After the death of his wife in 1875, he made his home with his daughters, Mrs. J.S. Cross and Mrs. J.B. Wilcox.  For nearly forty years he has been a worthy member of the Fraternity of Free and Accepted Masons.  At the age of 24 he united with the Baptist church and was during the remainder of his life a consistent Christian.

Submitted by Marilyn Lane

One of Hamilton Townships Well Known Residents Passed away Sunday Morning.

Mrs. Mary E. Poor passed away at her home in Hamilton township Sunday morning, November 14, at the age of 75 years.  Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday afternoon at two-thirty o’clock conducted by Mrs. Marion Carpenter, Spiritualist, of Detroit.  Burial was in Hamilton cemetery.

Mary E. Higgins was the daughter of William and Nancy Higgins and was born in DeKalb, Indiana, June 18, 1840.  She was but six years of age when her parents moved into Cass county locating between Cassopolis and Dowagiac.  She attended school in the old log school house and had many interesting pioneer experiences which she could tell to the great interest of the younger generations.

She was united in marriage with Simon B. Poor, June 30, 1861, and they began life together on a little farm near Dowagiac where they lived several years before selling out and moving o the city.  Mr. Poor worked for P. D. Beckwith four or five years when the big Round Oak Stove Works was in its infancy and then came to Van Buren county and purchased 100 acres of land in South Hamilton.  This they soon sold and retuned to Cass county where they purchased 120 acres in Volinia.  Five years later they sold this farm and Mr. Poor followed his trade of blacksmith two years in Volinia Center.  They next bought 120 acres in Penn township and lived there eighteen years.

They located on the farm where she passed away in 1893.  Mr. and Mrs. Poor celebrated their Golden Wedding aniversary at the Hamilton Grange hall, June 30, 1911, and the following March Mr. Poor passed away.

Mrs. Poor was an active woman until she was afflicted with paralysis thirteen years ago.  She was held in highest esteem by all who knew her.  She lived a useful life which will leave its impress on her home community for many years to come.

Mr. and Mrs. Poor were parents of three sons and one daughter of whom Byron W. of San Antonio, Texas, and George Harold, who lives on the home farm are living.

Unknown Newspaper
Submitted by  Pamela Keene -  pkeene2002@yahoo.com

George Harold Poor

George Harold Poor, son of Simon and Mary Elizabeth Poor, was born in Cass county September 19, 1879, and died at his home in Hamilton township December 26, 1918, at the age of thiray-nine (thirty-nine) years three months and seven days.

When Harold was thirteen years of age he came with his parents to Decatur where he finished his schooling, after which they moved to his present home, which was also the home of his aged parents, until the death of the father in 1912 and mother in 1915.

George Harold Poor and Miss Ada McAllister were united in marriage March 28, 1905, and have continued nearly fourteen years of happy wedlock.

The bereaved widow and their only son, Melvin, will miss the gentle hand of husband and father.

With the parents one sister, Mrs. Cora May Judd, has also preceded the deceased to higher life.

There is one brother, Byron W. Poor, in San Antonio, Texas , and two nieces, Mrs. Harry Mosher, and Miss Gladys Judd of Dowagiac, who with the widow and little son will share each other’s burden of sorrow in the seemingly untimely death of their loved one.

A host of friends and neighbors unite in sympathy, who will greatly miss a valued citizen and friend.

A poem follows.

Thursday, January 9, 1919
Newspaper unknown
Submitted by  Pamela Keene -  pkeene2002@yahoo.com

Death of Mrs. Ada Poor

Ada McAllister, daughter of Laura and Eli McAllister, was born in Lawrence township, Van Buren County, Michigan, March 4, 1881, and died in Decatur, Michigan, March 10, 1927, aged 46 years and 8 days.

In March, 1905, she was united in marriage to Harold Poor of Decatur.  To this union one child was born, who survives her.  Mr. Poor died eight years ago.

There are left to mourn their loss, one son, Melvin, of Decatur;  two brothers, Herbert of Bangor, and Duane and son Donald of Crary, North Dakota, three nieces, Mrs. Mark Grosse of Kalamazoo and Gertrude and Frances McAllister of Otsego and many other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held at the home Sunday afternoon at two o’clock, Rev. Thomas Rice officiating.  Burial was in Hamilton cemetery.

Poem follows.

Unknown Newspaper
March 19, 1927
Submitted by  Pamela Keene -  pkeene2002@yahoo.com

Woman Dies at Funeral For Friend

Hartford, April 29 – The excitement of attending funeral services for a friend at the Calvin funeral chapel here Friday afternoon proved too much for Mrs. Minnie McAllister, 75, wife of Herbert McAllister, 401 Linden street, Hartford.

Mrs. McAllister collapsed and died of a heart attack at the chapel as funeral services were about to begin for Mrs. Minnie Robinson, 84, who had died on Tuesday.

Mrs. McAllister was observed to have been breathing heavily as she entered the funeral chapel and took her seat.  Minutes later she slumped in her seat.

Funeral home attendants rushed to her assistance, placed her on an ambulance cot, and summoned Dr. Clayton Palmer.  Dr. Palmer pronounced Mrs. McAllister dead.

Not until after the services for Mrs. Robinson had been completed, was it announced to the assembled group that Mrs. McAllister had expired.

Mrs. McAllister was born on March 10, 1875, in Bangor, daughter of Chapin and Ruth Reynolds.  She was a member of the Baptist church.

Besides her husband, she is survived by two sons, Chapin of Holland and Milan of River Forest, Ill.;  a daughter, Mrs. Harriett Lightener of Hartford; seven grandchildren, one great-grandchild; and one sister, Mrs. Martha Beale of Allegan.

Funeral services for Mrs. McAllister will be conducted at 2 o’clock Monday afternoon at the Calvin chapel, with the Rev. Alvin P. Jingst, pastor of the Harford Federated church, officiating.  Burial will be in the Hill cemetery at Lawrence.

Unknown Newspaper - 1950
Submitted by  Pamela Keene -  pkeene2002@yahoo.com

"Rites Held Today for H. McAllister"
     Herbert McAllister,  82, died Tuesday at his home northeast of Hartford.  He was born south of Lawrence and
had been a resident of the Hawley community since 1916.  Funeral services were held at 2 p.m. today at the Calvin
chapel.  The Reb. Alvin Jingst officiated and burial was at  Lawrence.
     His wife, Minnie, died in April 1951.  Survivors include C. E. McAlliter of Holland; Mrs. Robert Lighntner of
Hartford, and M. E. McAllister of Hawley community."

Submitted by  Pamela Keene -  pkeene2002@yahoo.com

Lawton Leader - Issue Date, 17 March, 1899.......

Josiah Wilson was born in Preble Co. Ohio, September 19 1825 and died at the home of his son [Garret L. Wilson] in Glenwood, Mich. March 10 1899, aged 74 years, 5 months, and 19 days. He came to Lawton in 1870 where he resided until about six years ago.  After coming to Lawton, he worked in the furnace until it was closed, and later was a section foreman on the M. C. R. R. [Michigan Central Railroad] for several years.  He leaves a widow [Adeline Fuller-Wilson,] three children, and three grandchildren.

The children are G. L. [Garret Levi] Wilson of Glenwood, Mrs. W. W. McLain [Myra E. Wilson-McLain] of Lawton, and Mrs. Willis Clark [Ella Wilson-Clark] of Kalamazoo. The funeral was held at Glenwood last Saturday, and the body was brought to this place for burial.

[ Note that Josiah L. Wilson, and his wife, Adeline Fuller-Wilson, are intered in Oak Grove Cemetery in Lawton.]

Submitted by Gary A. Beam, gg-grandson of the deceased.

BANGOR -- Patricia M. Schaefer, 73, of Kalamazoo passed away Monday, July 5, 2004, at Borgess Medical Center,

The family will meet with friends from 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the Bangor Chapel, D. L. Miller Funeral Home.
Funeral services will be 11 a.m. Friday at the Simpson United Methodist Church, Bangor, with the Rev. Sandra B. McNary
officiating. Interment will follow in Arlington Hill Cemetery, Bangor. The family suggests memorials to the Kalamazoo Cancer
Center, West Michigan Flute Association, Patricia M. and John A. Schaefer Flute Scholarship at WMU or Simpson United
Methodist Church.
Pat was born Nov. 1, 1931, in Bangor, the daughter of Loren and Marney (Cuber) Fausnaugh and lived most of her life in the
Kalamazoo area. She graduated from Bangor High School in 1949 and then received her bachelor's degree from Western
Michigan University. She was a music teacher at Grosse Pointe Public Schools before returning to Kalamazoo, where she
earned her master's degree and taught music in the Kalamazoo Public Schools.

Pat was a former member of the Kalamazoo Symphony for many years; and a current member of the Kalamazoo Concert Band, the West Michigan Flute Association, and the Kalamazoo Flute Quartet.

Surviving are her husband, Jack, whom she married Dec. 17, 1955, in Bangor; cousins, Marnie Owen, Joy (Marty) Keller,
John (Fran) Cherrstrom, Margaret Ann (Bill) Thompson, and Lorraine (Lou) Wilbur.

Submitted by Kim Kester - Kims715@aol.com


  Veteran Paw Paw Magistrate Died Following Mental Lapse, at age 83.
        Was elected County Clerk soon after Civil War and had been Continuously in Clerk's Office.

After fifty-five years of active service in various official capacities at the Van Buren county courthouse, Oran W. Rowland died at his home at Paw Paw last Friday at the age of 83 years.
  Judge Rowland had been in failing health for a year, but continued active in his offices of circuit commissioner, justice of the peace and deputy county clerk until a few weeks ago when he suffered almost a complete lapse of his mental faculties.  His death soon followed.
  He is survived by one daughter, Mrs. Henry SHAFER who is at present a clerk in the probate court at Paw Paw, and one son, Marion O. ROWLAND, of Detroit, president of  the Detroit National Fire Insurance Company.  He also leaves one sister, Mr. J. H. ANDERSON, of Hartford, and one brother, E. E. ROWLAND, of Paw Paw Lake.
  Funeral services for him were held at Paw Paw Monday afternoon and were largely attended. Burial was at Paw Paw cemetery, beside his wife who died several years ago.
                      Was Pioneer Official
  Judge Rowland was not only one of the best known and most highly esteemed of Van Buren's citizen's, but he was also the dean of the county court house force, having served as county clerk and deputy clerk since 1868, as well as holding for many years the offices of circuit commissioner and justice of the peace, as well as serving for twenty-five years as a member of the Paw Paw board of education.
  Mr. Rowland was born in Savannah, Ohio, on March 25, 1839.  He gained his early education in the pioneer log school house, and as a youth came to Calhoun county, in this state to reside with his grandparents.  Later his parents came to Michigan and the family settled at Springport, Jackson county, where he learned the trade of miller.
  When he was eighteen years of age he came with his father and mother to Lawrence, and he had since resided continuously in this county, with the exception of the years he served in the Civil war.  He entered military service on September 17, 1861 in Company C of the Third Michigan Cavalry, and was discharged in June, 1865.  He won promotion successively as a sergeant, orderly sergeant, second lieutenant, first lieutenant and was mustered out as captain of the company in which he first enlisted.
                                  Became Editor and Teacher.
  Returning to Lawrence after the war he became the teacher of the Lawrence village schools and was also engaged in mercantile business in a modest way until 1868, when he was elected county clerk.  He had served as deputy county clerk under each of his successors until the present time.  While filling the office of county clerk he studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1872.  Later he served as prosecuting attorney of the county.  He was also on duty as federal agent of the census of 1890, and was at one time ex-officio judge of the juvenile court until the supreme court declared the statute creating that office unconstitutional.
  In the "70's" Mr. Rowland was part owner and editor of the Paw Paw True Northerner for six years, and later was the editor for several years of the Decatur Republican.
  In politics Mr. Rowland was a republican and cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln.  He was also an active member of the
Christian church of Paw Paw for forty years.
  Mr. Rowland had served in official capacities longer and held more offices than any other man in the county's history.  He was also the author of a recent county history, in which much of the early history of the county is preserved, and has long been one of Van Buren's best known and most highly esteemed citizens.


   Judge Rowland Had Been Identified With the Court House Longer
      Than Any Other Person

  Oran W. Rowland, for over fifty years a resident of Paw Paw and widely known for his splendid activities, died Friday evening at his home in Paw Paw at the age of 84 years.  His death came after several weeks of rapidly declining health, although he had clung tenaciously to his duties at the court house, where he was serving as circuit court commissioner and justice of the peace until only a short time ago.
  Mr. Rowland was a foremost figure in the history of Paw Paw and his interests in civic, educational, fraternal, religious, state and county activities has identified him with his community so long that he has left an indelible impression upon the institutions and people whom he love and served so well.  Always a devoutly religious man, he had taken an active and leading interest in the Christian church, where he was wont to go on each Sunday morning. Deterred by being unable to hear all that was said during his last years, he, nevertheless continued his attendance to this and the meetings of the I. O. O. F. lodge up until the last.
  Mr. Rowland was born at Savannah, Ohio, March 25, 1839.  When a young man he came with his parents to Michigan, settling in Lawrence.  He was married at that place on Sept. 22, 1861, to Mary Ann BENJAMIN.  Only a few days after his marriage he joined his regiment, the Third Michigan Cavalry, and served his country with distinction during the four years of the Civil War.  At the conclusion of the war he was honorably discharged with the rank of captain.  Returning after the war to Lawrence he was elected county clerk of this county and assumed office on Jan. 1, 1869, coming to Paw Paw, where he has since resided.  At the expiration of his term of office the took up the practice of law and afterwards engaged in the newspaper business, being at one time the owner of the True Northerner and acting as its editor. Later he was editor of the Decatur Republican for several years.
 He was prosecuting attorney for two terms and held various other offices, having been justice of the peace, circuit court
commissioner and deputy county clerk for many years.  He was an ardent and enthusiastic worker and exhibited a sacred regard for duty.  His identification with the court house and court activities were so pronounced that he had come to be almost a part of the institution.
  Mr. Rowland's greatest give was has clear, discriminating mind and his readiness to carry foreward in any cause which he
considered worthy.  He was progressive in every sense of the word, adjusting himself readily to the ever increasing changes through which the country and community passed during his life span.
  He served on the local board of education for a number of years and until the last few years when his advancing age made it
tiresome for him to climb the flights of stairs, spoke often before the people of the high school, to whom he always carried a
message of worthy of thoughtful and through consideration. Children, young men and young women, as well as adults, were
numbered among his acquaintances and to all he was a friend, ever ready with counsel. They loved him for his approachableness and his ever genial and gentle manner. He was endowed with a quick wit, a fund of humor and a rapidness of repartee.
  He was a student and authority on Van Buren county history and was the author of a very complete work on this subject.
  At the time of his death Mr. Rowland was one of the oldest, if not the oldest, Odd Fellows in this state. He had been a member of this organization over fifty years and its symbols were emblematic of his ideals.  He had also participated actively in the G.A.R. and Daughters of Rebekah.
  Mrs. Rowland preceded her husband to the other shore over seven years ago and since that time he had made his home with his eldest daughter, Mrs. Henry SHAEFER, and his granddaughter, Mrs. Harry MATHER.  Mr. and Mrs. Rowland were parents of three children: Mrs. Mamie L. SHAEFER, of Paw Paw, Marion O. Rowland of Detroit, and Mina Belle, who died in 1887 at the age of 12 years.  He leaves eight grandchildren and eight great grandchildren, also one sister, Mrs. Esther ANDERSON, and one brother, Elvin E. ROWLAND, now of Brooklyn, Wis.  Neither of the latter were able to be present at the funeral.
  The number of friends and their wide distribution was evidenced at his funeral, which was held Monday afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Christian church.  The G. A. R., Odd Fellows, Daughters of Rebakah, county officers and members of the bar attended the service in a body.  The sermon was delivered by Rev. H. H. ANDERSON of Alma, a former pastor of this church, and Miss Lettie TUBBS sang a beautiful solo.  He was laid to rest in the Prospect Hill cemetery, the Odd Fellows performing the burial ceremony at the grave.


Hartford Day Spring   Wed. July 11, 1923


  To have continuously served in official position in one county for 55 years and still have retained the universal good will and
admiration of the people of the entire county is a distinction that comes to few men.  Yet that is the achievement of Judge O. W.
Rowland who died at his home at Paw Paw last Friday at the ripe old age of 83 years.
  Judge Rowland was known as "the grand old man of the Van Buren county courthouse" and richly deserved that title.  Elected to the office of county clerk in 1868, he had served continuously as deputy to each of his successors throughout a period of fifty-five years.  He also held the office of circuit court commissioner for years, as well as other minor positions of trust.
  He came to be called "the encyclopedia of county affairs" because of his familiarity with the county's legal machinery and his
comprehensive knowledge of all county matters.  Judges, lawyers, county officers and individuals went to him with their queries and invariably from his storehouse of knowledge came the information they were seeking.  "Ask O. W." has been a common expression about Van Buren' courthouse when less experienced officials encountered knotty problems, and it is an expression that has echoed for half a century.
  He once served the county as prosecuting attorney, and for many terms had been a justice of the peace at Paw Paw, handling
much of the petty civil and criminal business of the county.  As a magistrate he imposed laws penalties upon hundreds of violators, but it was always done with a kindness and of equity that left an impression only of justice in the victims mind.
  He also came to be known as the "marrying magistrate" having during his life united more than eight hundred couples in the bonds of wedlock.  He always concluded the ceremonies with a friendly but good advice that made him a lifelong friend of the couple .
"Good husbands make good wives, and good wives make good husbands" he repeated in his kindly way, and it was his proud boast that few of his bride and grooms came trampling back to seek the divorce court.
  Judge Rowland was a product of the pioneer days, in whose life was reflected the sturdy qualities of the early settlers who blazed civilizations path in western Michigan.  After laying the foundation of his education in a log school house, Judge Rowland came to Van Buren county at the age of 18 years and became successively teacher, lawyer, editor and county official.
  In the dark days of rebellion he served his country for nearly four years, winning distinction in war as he later did in civil life, having emerged from the service with the rank of captain of the company in which he first enlisted.
  As editor of Paw Paw and Decatur newspapers in earlier years he was a potent force for civic and social good, and later as a
county historian he left a valuable information for guidance of future generations who seek to know something of the struggle and
achievements of the people who wrested Van Buren county from the wilderness.   Actuated by a keen conception of the duties of citizenship, inspired by the highest ideals, and possessed of fine courtesy and that kindliness of character that renders a man esteemed by his fellows, Judge Rowland became one of the county's leading citizens and left an impress upon the county's history that time will not efface.
  His friends were legion, his enemies few.  There are scores of young men who count as valuable the inspiration they have received from friendship and association with O. W. Rowland, and among them is the editor of the Day Spring.  His good deeds, his exceptional ability and his exemplary character will live long in the memories of Van Buren county people.

The above three Obituaries were submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com  - in memory of her Great-great-great Grandfather, Judge Oran W. Rowland

Unknown paper or date-  she died 7 Dec. 1914

  Mary Ann (BENJAMIN) Rowland, daughter of Daniel and Eunice (HAZARD) BENJAMIN, was born at Marshal, in the state of New York, on the 7th day of January, 1843, and departed this life December 7th 1914, aged 71 years and 11 months.  She was the eldest of a family of four children, only one of whom, a sister residing at the town of Big Rock, Illinois, survives her.  With her parents she came to Michigan in 1856, and became a resident of the village of Lawrence, where on 22nd day of September, 1861, at the age of 18 years she married to Oran W. Rowland.  The newly married couple saw little of each other for nearly four years after, as the husband was already a soldier when they were married.  On one occasion, during the last year of the war, she spent several weeks in camp with her husband a the city of St. Louis, Mo., and so saw something of the manner of a soldier's life.
  At the close of the war they made their home in Lawrence, until they removed to Paw Paw, where they have resided for the past 46 years.  Three children were born to them, two of whom, a son and daughter survive her, M. O. Rowland of Detroit and Mrs. H. E. SHAEFER of Paw Paw.
  Mrs. Rowland was a noble, christian woman, for many years a faithful member of the Paw Paw Christian church.  She was also a member of the Rebekahs and, at the time of her decease, was president of the local W. R. C.
   She was the best of mothers and was a true, faithful and loving wife.  Her married life of upwards of 53 years was a more than ordinarily happy one, husband and wife being devotedly attached to each other.  She had a wide acquaintance and her friends and acquaintances were of equal number, for none knew her but to love her.
  Funeral services will be held this afternoon at 1:30 in the Christian church, Rev. Ice officiating.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com

Unknown Van Buren Paper,   1927

Funeral Services for Marion O. ROWLAND, 58, of Detroit, Held Saturday.

  Funeral services for the late Marion O. ROWLAND of Detroit, former Paw Paw resident and editor of the True Northerner, were held at the home of his niece, Mrs. Harry MATHER, last Saturday afternoon and were largely attended.
  Mr. Rowland died in his Detroit home Sept. 21, after an illness of several months, during which time he received the best medical attention possible.  His remains were brought here Saturday morning accompanied by his wife and four children and several Detroit friends.
  The service was simple in character and was conducted by Dr. T. W. BELLINGHAM, pastor of the Paw Paw Christian church, of which Mr. Rowland has been a member for more than forty years.
  Interment was made in Prospect Hill cemetery, the burial plat being banked with a profusion of floral offerings testifying to the
esteem in which the deceased was held by his friends and associates.
  Marion O. Rowland, son of the late Orin W. and Mary ROWLAND, was born in Paw Paw April 8, 1869, and spent his early manhood here, having been a member of the class of '86 of the Paw Paw high school. After graduation he entered the office of the Paw Paw True Northerner and learned the printing trade, later going to Decatur, where he edited the Decatur Republican.  Following this, he held positions in the printing business in Saginaw and Eton Rapids.
  Thirty six years ago he was united in marriage to Miss Rose SMITH of Paw Paw and a short time later returned to Paw Paw and became editor of the True Northerner, continuing until 1904, when he sold his interest in the paper and went to Lansing to take  a position with the state insurance department.
  He later became commissioner of insurance and in 1912 moved to Detroit, becoming associated with the Detroit National Fire
Insurance as one of its officers and a few years later was made secretary of the American Life Insurance Company of Detroit, which position he held at the time of his death and to which company he rendered service during the past fifteen years.
  Mr. Rowland was prominently connected with the social, civic and political life of Van Buren county during his residence here and held the confidence and esteem of a large circle of friends over the state.
  During his residence in Detroit he made frequent visits to Paw Paw to see his parents and friends and in June, 1926, came to Paw Paw to be present at the annual reunion and banquet of the high school Alumni Association to extend a welcome to the class of '26 and this was the last time he appeared in public here.
  Mr. Rowland was a man who made friends and kept them.  He was always of a happy disposition, generous to a fault, honest and upright in his dealing with his fellow man and these characteristics are what endeared him to his friends.  He had been a member of the Paw Paw Masonic lodge for many years.
  To Mr. and Mrs. Rowland were born four children, two daughters, Mrs. Margaret FLEMING and Miss Dorothy ROWLAND, of Detroit, and two sons, Mr. Ralph ROWLAND of Chicago and Mr. Orin W. ROWLAND of Little Rock, Ark., all of whom, with the widow, a sister, Mrs. H. E. SHAEFER of Paw Paw, five grandchildren and other relatives and hosts of friends survive.
  Messrs. E. F. PARKS, B. F. WARNER, H.L. MCNEIL, M.H. YOUNG, A.L. FREE and C.C. CHAPPELL were pallbearers at the funeral service.
  Among those present for the interment from out of town were: Clarence L. AYRES, president of the American Life Insurance Co.; George E. LEONARD, Detroit, auditor of the same company, and Mr. Claud SYKES of Benton Harbor, director in the company; C. A. BLACKWOOD and many relatives and friends from Lawrence, Decatur and other nearby towns and cities

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com.


The True Northerner,  May 6, 1904.

Eber Rowland departed this life at the residence of his son, Henry E. Rowland, in the village of Lawrence, May 3, 1904, aged 87 years, 6 months and 26 days.
He was married to Jerusha FOWLER June 10, 1838, and they lived happily together for almost 61 years until her death in 1899. Eight children were born to them, 5 living, and they were present to pay last tribute of affection to loving father.
  He came to Michigan in 1854 and was a resident of Van Buren County for 48 years. Early in life he was united with the Baptist Church and always lived a conscientious Christian life.  All who knew him can testify to his integrity. A good man and an upright citizen, loving husband and affectionate father had gone to his reward at the close of a long and honorable life.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com

The Decatur Republican
Wed. March 5, 1890

  The funeral of Elijah G. Hazzard was held at the Methodist church in Lawton last Saturday. Comrade Rev. Younglove, the former pastor of the church, officiating.  The deceased had been a cripple for fourteen years, caused by disease contracted in the army and which finally brought him to his death bed.  He was a loving husband, a kind father, a loyal citizen, a good man.  The large concourse of comrade and citizen assembled to assist in the last sad rites amply attested the respect and esteem in which he was held throughout the community.
  Comrade Elijah C. Hazzard was born in the town of Marshall, Oneida county, N. Y., on the seventh day of April, 1829.  Removed to Van Buren county, Mich., in the month of November, 1852.  Enlisted in the service of his country on the 28th day of August, 1862, in Co. "C", 4th Michigan Calvary, and was discharged from the service on the 24th day of June, 1865.  He was a charter member of Wadsworth post, No. 29 G.A.R at Lawrence.  He departed this life, February 17, 1890, aged sixty-one years. He leaves a wife and two children to mourn his loss, also three brothers and four sisters.

We desire to extend our thanks to the members of G.A.R., W. R. C, and other friends who so kindly assisted us in our bereavement.
Mrs. Mary J. Hazard
Miss Ina Hazard
Alanson Hazard
     Bangor Newspaper    Friday, March 7, 1890
Another Veteran Mustered Out
  Elijah C. Hazzard was born in Marshall, Oneida county, N.Y., April 7, 1829 and died of rheumatism of the heart, at his home in Lawrence, Feb. 27, 1890, being nearly 61 years old. He moved to Van Buren county in 1852, living in the county nearly 38 years.
  Mr. Hazzard answered the call to arms in August, 1862, enlisting in Co. C, 4th Mich. Cav., serving with that company until June 24 1865, nearly three years.  He was as loyal to his army associates as he was to his country and ever held most dear the ties and friendship of his comrades of the war.  Was one of the first to assist in organizing Wadsworth post at Lawrence, , and as far health would permit, was always an active member.  He leaves a wife, son and daughter, besides a host of warm friends who join with the family in their bereavement.
  The funeral was held Saturday, Rev. I. P. Bates, who was also a soldier, delivering the discourse.  Several members of his old
company were present and many army comrades joined with others in the last sad rites, Wadsworth post taking charge of the services. Sadly they bore the old hero to the cemetery and silently laid him to rest. He has answered the last call and across his final discharge is written in letters of gold the word  "honorable.
  The family, with grateful hearts, return their most sincere thanks for the many acts of kindness they have received during the
sickness and  of Mr. Hazzard.  Especially do they feel most grateful for the tender regards of his late army comrades.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com

Mary Wisehaupt Russell Parker
The True Northerner  September 2, 1904

  Mary Wysop was born in the Tuscarora Valley, Pennsylvania, September 22, 1808.
She moved with her parents to Ohio when yet a young girl, where she was later married to Chauncey RUSSELL.  Four children, of whom only the eldest, Mrs.Harriet RICE, is living, were born to them. After the death of her husband, she cared for her children alone until her marriage several years later to Hiram PARKER.  The family moved to Michigan about 50 years ago, making their home on the bank of Reynold's lake in Lawrence township, where they lived until the husband's death and where the widow remained until a few years ago, when she came to make her home with her daughter in this village.  She died of old age Tuesday morning, August 30, 1904, being nearly 96 years of age and probably the oldest person in Paw Paw township.  She had always been an active woman until old age impaired her vitality.  She had been a member of the Christian church for about a half century.  The funeral was held Thursday morning at the home of Mr. and Mrs. O. A. RICE, Rev. G. P. LINDERMAN, officiating. The burial was in Prospect Lake cemetery, beside her husband.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com

Harriet Russell Wilson Smith Rice
The True Northerner     21 Oct 1904

  Mrs. O. A. Rice died at her home in this village Saturday forenoon, October 15, from a congestive chill.  She had been ill only a week, and was not considered in a serious condition until a few hours before her death.  Harriet Russell was born October 10, 1827, in Monroeville, Huron county, Ohio.  When 18 years old she was married to Wm. Russell, and they soon moved to Cass county, Michigan.  Six children were born to them, of whom only two are living: John W. WILSON of Oklahoma, who was present at the funeral, and Mrs. Anna POST.  She was married a second time in 1864, to Nathan SMITH, and they lived in Niles until his death in 1882.  Four children blessed this union; two died in infancy, and the youngest, Mrs. Rose ROWLAND, was with her in her last sickness.  She married again in August 1885, to O. A. RICE, and they lived happily together until her death.  Mrs. Rice was a quiet, home-loving woman, and is mourned by many friends as well as relatives.  The funeral was held at the home Tuesday at 10 o'clock, conducted by Rev. G. P. Linderman. The burial was at Prospect Hill cemetery.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com

The Decatur Republican   Wed. March 5, 1890

James Comley was born in Lexington, May 14, 1831.  He came to
Van Buren county, Michigan with his father in 1836.  In the fall of 1883 he went west  and located in Miner county, S. D. five miles from Howard.  Last fall he returned to this place to visit relatives and old friends, and died here on Saturday, Feb. 22, from apoplexy.
The funeral will be held on Wednesday.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com - No Relation

The   Bangor  Reflector     Bangor, MI  Friday March 7, 1890

Helen S. PERRY

Died, at Bangor, Wednesday, March 5, 1890, of consumption, Helen S., wife of Orville P. Perry, aged 39 years and five months. She was born in Pennsylvania and had been married 20 years. Besides her husband, she leaves seven children ranging from four to nineteen years of age. She was a earnest Christian woman and although grieved to part with her family, was resigned to the call which she was aware could not be longer delayed.  The funeral is being held this morning a the north side church, Rev. SMITH officiating, the interment being at Arlington Hill Cem.

Submitted by Barbara Eberhart - BEberh5501@aol.com

Nettie M. Yeider

Nettie May Yeider was born on the Watkins farm, west of Bangor, September 22, 1862 and passed away Monday, November 20th, passing her entire life a resident of Bangor Township.  On Decber 24, 1882, she united in marriage to
John Yeider, and they set up their new home on the farm where they have since resided continuously.  Last year, they celebrated their golden wedding anniversary and one of the incidents of that affair was the statement that
Throught half the half-century of wedded life. Mr. and Mrs. Yeider had never been separated for one whole day.

Mrs. Yeider is survived by her husband, a son, Levi of Bangor; two daughters, Mrs. Laura Mitchell of Kalamazoo, and Mrs Gladys Nash of Grand Rapids; two brothers, Henry and Frank Watkins, of Bangor, and a sister, Mrs. Clara Hastings of Hartford.

The funeral service will be held this Thursday afternoon in Sherrod Chappel, at 2 o'clock, Rev. Andrew Lemke Officiating.  Burial will be made in Arlington Hill cemetery.

Bangor Advance, 1933
Submitted by Kim Kester - Kims715@aol.com


Bangor, Nov 21-- Death Monday claimed two pioneerresidents of this community, Mrs. Nettie May (Watkins) Yeider.  71, who succmed following a brief illness at the farm home west of town, and Marshall R. Reams, 83, whose death occurred at the home of his son Fred W. Reams of this village.

Mrs. Yeider was born in Bangor township and spent her entire life here, having moved to her late residence shortly after her marriage to John Yeider Dec. 25, 1882.

Survivors include the husband John Yeider, and as son Levi Yeider, both of Bangor; two daughters, Mrs. Laura Mitchell of Kalamazoo and Mrs. Gladys Nash of Grand Rapids; two brothers and a sister, Frank and Henry Watkins and Mrs.
Clara Hastings, all of Bangor, and six grandchildren.

Mr. Reams, a native of Chilicothe, Ohio, had resided in Bangor since 1900.  He conducted a grocery store and meat business here for a number of years, later identifying himself as a fruit broker.

Surviving Mr. Reams are the son Fred W. Reams of Bangor; a daughter, Mrs Grace Daudert of South Haven; five Grandchildren, and two Great-Grandchildren.  Funeral rites will be conducted at Sherrods chapel at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

Services for Mrs. Yeider will be held at the  chapel at the same hour on Thursday.

Burial in both instances will be at Arlington Hill.

Bangor Advance, 1933
Submitted by Kim Kester - Kims715@aol.com



Hartford Man Had Been Dead Four Days Before He Was Missed From  Isolated Cabin Home On Bank of River.

As  the sequel to attempt to "ferry" across the thin ice of Paw Paw River to reach the isolated shack where he had lived alone for 11 years, the body of Richard (Dick) Wilson.  Hartford's mystery recluse, was fished from the river Friday afternoon.

Dragging of the river was begun by sheriff's officers Friday morning, after the discovery late Thursday that the recluse had been missing from his accustomed haunts since Sunday afternoon when he left the home of Mr. and Mrs. H.R. Courtney, just east of town on US-12 where he had been a dinner guest.

The recluse told the Courtney's that he had crossed the river in the morning by standing on a sled and propelling it with two sharp sticks.  Four hours later during which the ice was weakened by thawing temperature, he is believed to have attempted the return trip by the same method.

 Sled Found First

Deputy Sheriffs W.C. Leonard of Lawton and Charles Palmer of Hartford directed the river search.  Matt Thar, owner of the farm across the river just northeast of this village where the recluse was a shack dweller, discovered the first clue, when he pulled the sled to the surface of the stream.

Three hours later Durwood Smith, son of Fire Chief Wm. N. Smith, recovered the body from about eight feet of water.  The young man "hooked it" with a rake to which a 12-foot handle had been attached.

The body was found near the bank and only 20 feet from the point where he is believed to have started the perilous trip, indicating that the ice had gone out of the stream when he was found to be missing.

Coroner Frank Thompson, of Paw Paw, was called to the scene but decided that no inquest was necessary.

Was Unusual Character.

The last chapter in a strange life was written Saturday afternoon when funeral rites for the recluse were held at Zuver & Calvin
chapel.  Rev E. A. Murphy of the Federated Church officiated.  Six friends served as casket bearers and a single spray of flowers covered the casket.  Burial was at Maple Hill.

Wilson had been a resident of Hartford for thirteen years coming here from "somewhere" as an itinerant berry picker.  Eleven years ago he built the shack in a secluded spot at the Thar farm, on the river bank, where he fished in the summer and trapped furs in the winter.  When not employed on nearby farms or at odd jobs about town he chose the seclusion of his river rendezvous.

During the 13 years "Dick," as everyone knew him, established a reputation for honesty and trustworthiness, always paid his debts, and was absorbed in his own secluded life.  Farmers and others who employed him say he was a most reliable and capable worker.

On occasional departures from the path of sobriety he invariably remained at his shack  The one clue to the age of the recluse was afforded by the trapping license issued to him this fall by Harold Walker.  It gave his age as 78.  Friends guessed him to be in his early sixties.

Kept Life a Secret.

Wilson was well read, intelligent man and a fluent conversationist with his cronies.  But efforts to learn the history of his invariably met with rebuffs of silence. No family ties were ever revealed by him.  Another shack dweller at the river, known as "Jack," told officers that Wilson had a sister in Pennsylvania, but efforts to locate her failed.

Another friend says that Wilson once revealed he had quarreled with relatives over property rights and "walked away."  No other information was divulged.  Several acquaintances believed that the name "Wilson" was an alias he had assumed.  Whatever the story of his life, he carried it to his death in the river beside which he led his lonely existence with five sleek, fat cats as his only companions.  Searchers found the cats locked in the shack upon investigating the report that the recluse had not been seen from Sunday, when he left the Courtney place, to Thursday afternoon.

During his 13 years residence here Wilson is  said to never been involved in trouble save on a wintry (unreadable line) Indian was shot during an alleged drinking party at the river shack.  The recluse was questioned but not prosecuted in that affair.  The victim of the shooting recovered.

Only afew friends attended the simple funeral rites Saturday, but there was evidence that they regretted the passing of a man whose strange qualities commanded their regard  It is stated that they not only mourned their friend, but contributed him a Christian burial.

The friends who saw to it that "Old Dick," as they called him, had a Christian burial in his home town were J.L. Calvin, Levi Yeider, Matt Thar,Jr., Fred Welcher, Jay Parker, Will Shepard, Ed Beatty, W.H. Shaul, Charles Palmer, Harold Walker, Ed Stickney, Ray McCotter, George Markille, Gleaner Store, Oliver Salnave, L. Dade, Frank Drullinger, Harry Meachum,
W.L. Root, Howard Curry, W.N. Smith, Dale Wolcott, Harry Allen, Jay Williams and Wm. Muelleder.

Bangor Advance, January, 1934
Submitted by Kim Kester - Kims715@aol.com

The Decatur Republican
Wed. Feb 18, 1909

George W Styles
George W Styles was born May 12, 1851 in Brooklyn, New York. At the age of fourteen he accompanied his parents to Michigan, locating on a farm west of Paw Paw.

April 23, 1874 he and Adelphia Flanders were united in marriage. To this union were born five children. Two died in early childhood, the other three, Delton, Stanley, and Ethel, with their mother are left to mourn a devoted father and faithful husband.

Since coming to Michigan in early life he has been a continual resident of Van Buren county with the exception of a year spent in New York.

For years he had not been very stout, but he was always a hard worker. About two years ago he was compelled to abandon all work and since then his life has been a continuous suffering which terminated with his death Feb 10, 1909 at the age of 57 years, 8 months, and 28 days.

He was a sincere Christian in whom there was no guile, a member of the Church of Christ of Paw Paw. The funeral was conducted by Elder JH Hammond at his request at his late home in Gobleville, Michigan.

Interment took place in Cuddeback cemetery near his old home.

(Also ran in Gobleville News Friday Feb 19, 1909)

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

Gobles News
Thursday, Dec 21, 1944

Edwin J Merrifield
an aggressive merchant of Bloomingdale more than 56 years passed away at his home last Wednesday at the ripe old age of 86 years.

Born in Brooklyn New York he came with his parents to Michigan at the age of 10.

Born in an age of opportunity he took advantage of it and with a gift for trade, thrift, and hard work he soon developed a profitable business which cared well for his family of six children.

While Bloomingdale continued to have his greatest attention, at one time he had hardware stores in Middleville, South Haven, Lawton, and Gobles.

He was active in community welfare and his investment and interest helped in bringing the Michigan Gas and Electric Company to his home town.

We are concerned lest future generations will fail in developing men who will work and build as Mr. Merrifield did.

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

Gobles News
Thurs. Nov. 7, 1935

The funeral of Chester Merrifield was held from the house of his brother, E. J. Merrifield, in Bloomingdale, Sunday. In his many years of residence here, Chet, as all know him, made a host of friends who will regret his death.

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

True Northerner
Jan 30, 1889

Ann Styles departed this life Jan 20, 1889 at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Ira Flanders, at Paw Paw, aged 84 years, 6 months, 8 days. Deceased was the mother of 12 children 9 of whom are living. She has gone to her Savior, whom she loved.

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

Hartford Day-Spring
Hartford, MI
Wednesday, June 22, 1910



  The death of Ansel E Reynolds, which occurred at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Roy Hinkley, on Maple Street last Sunday
morning, removes one of the best known pioneers of this section and one of the first merchants of Hartford village.
  Mr. Reynolds was born in Canada, August 6, 1826, and came to Michigan with his parents when twelve years of age, the family settling near Ypsilanti.  When a young man he came to Hartford and took up a piece of land southwest of the village from which he cleared the virgin forest and developed a fertile farm, and which is still known as the Reynold's Place.
  In 1853 [should read 1855] he was married to Julia Olds, a daughter of Ferdino Olds, who was the first white settler in Hartford Township.  Mrs. Reynolds died fifteen years ago.  Mr. Reynolds passed nearly his entire life in Hartford, assuming a prominent part in the early affairs of the community and contributing in no small degree to the development of the village during it's early days. Erecting a small frame building just east of the present town hall, he established the first dry goods store and was one of the first merchants of Hartford.
  Later he erected the brick block now known as the Hartford town hall and continued in the mercantile trade, conducting one of the largest stores of which Hartford boasted during those years.   During his whole career Mr. Reynolds took an active interest in all public affairs and  matters of political movement, which coupled with his extensive commercial operations gained for him an extensive acquaintance all through this section of the county.
  Mr. Reynolds was active until about 10 years ago, when he suffered a stroke of paralysis and has since been in enfeebled health.  But despite his 84 years, he retained good possession of his mental faculties, maintaining his interest in current events and being conversant with all the early history of this section of the state.
  He leaves two sons, Otto Reynolds of Chicago, and Will Reynolds, of whom no word has been received for more than a year, but is suppose to be in the west, and three daughters, Mrs. E. Hubbard of Chicago, Mrs. Kittie Nichols of Chattanooga, Tenn., and Mrs. Nina Hinkley of this village.  He also leaves one brother, Maylon Reynolds of Remus, Mich., and three sisters, one residing at Detroit, one at Duluth, and one in New York city.
  Funeral services for him were attended at the home of his daughter, Tuesday afternoon, Rev James A Brown officiating, and
interment took place at Maple Hill.

Submitted by Mary Sorensen - Raymar7538@aol.com
3rd gr granddaughter of  Ansel E Reynolds

Ica D Coulson 918 Smith Age 90, died Friday at a local hospital, Born Nov. 9, 1875, in Lima, Ind. Mrs Coulson had been a resident of Lansing for 50 years coming here from Decatur. Former employe of Motor Wheel. Surviving are: 3 daughters, Mrs Eva S. Collar, Mrs Ruth M. Spratt, both of Lansing, Mrs. Flossie M. Smith, Portland; one son, Rolland Jay Coulson, Tucson, Ariz. 11 grandchildren; 40 great-grandchildren; 12 great-great-grandchildren. Funeral services will be held Monday at
10a,m. at the Gorsline-Runciman Funeral Home Graveside services will be held at 2 p.m. Monday at Harrison Cemetery, Decatur, Mich. Died Friday July 15, 1966.

From Sharon Woods Cornell  - jr2002@ACD.NET

Eliza Clarke McKeel

Eliza Susan Clarke was born in Clarkson, Monroe County, New York November 28th 1843 and her passed into eternal life from her home in Gobleville October 12th 1908.

She was one of a family of eleven children, two of whom are left.  Her parents came from England in 1830 and from Clarkson to Michigan in 1857 where she attended school afterward teaching for some time.

She was married to H. W. McKeel, January 1, 1867 at Oshtemo living at Geneva until 1873, when they moved to Gobleville where they remained until 1883, then going to South Dakota and in 1902 they again returned to Gobleville.

Her husband, two sons and four grand children are left to mourn her loss, a daughter having gone before.

She was converted very young and always lived a devoted Christian life.  A beloved wife, a kind true and affectionate mother.  A friend and sister to all who knew her.  No sacrifice was too great for her to make for those who needed her help.

Funeral services were held at the home at two o'clock Thursday October 15th conducted by Pastor F. A. Brass assisted by Rev. Emmons

          Card of Thanks

We desire to express our thank to the many friends who so kindly assisted us through the sickness and death of our beloved wife and mother

   W. H. McKeel
   A. B. McKeel and Family

Friday, October 23, 1908 Newspaper

Submitted by Jerry Clark - spicebush40@yahoo.com

From the South Haven Daily Tribune
South Haven, Michigan

HOAG - Mrs. Philip Hoag (Rosetta Ellis) was born in the Catskills, N. Y. July 6.1822. Moving sometime later to Syracuse, again when 12 years of age to Fredonia. Chautauqua county, in the same state, in 1856 the family moved to Michigan, founding a home in Geneva, Van Buren county. She was married to her first husband, Joel R. Bliss, In 1841. Six children blessed this union. Another marriage in 1860 with Philip Hoag, who survives her, gave an additional child. She was a devoted wife and mother, a true neighbor and a firm friend, and her strong religious character is as “ointment poured forth,” leaving a sacred influence with the community. She was converted in childhood, was received into the Baptist communion, but on the consummation of her second marriage she like her husband became a member of the M. E. church. They were the pioneers of the society in this locality and helped organize the first class and Sunday school. During her long connection with the church she proved ever loyal to its interests, and gave largely and systematically to its support and to the benevolences. She was proverbial for her hospitality, cheery, social, helpful, and her ministry was characterized by its unassuming piety and thoughtfulness. Stricken with paralysis, bravely and sweetly she lived those last few days, rendering an unmistakable testimony that holy living ensures a triumphant death. Died June 1896 L.B.

Submitted by Jerry Clark - spicebush40@yahoo.com

DECATUR, ILL. -- Doyle Erkenbeck, 79, of Decatur died at 10:22 p.m. Saturday
(August 18, 2001) in St. Mary's Hospital.

Graveside services and interment will be 11 a.m. Wednesday in Macon County Memorial Park, Harristown, with military rites by Macon County Honor Guard. Visitation will be 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday in Dawson & Wikoff West Wood Street
Funeral Home. Memorials: American Diabetes Foundation. Mr. Erkenbeck was born Dec. 10, 1921, in Janesville, Wis., the son of Clinton  and Valda Era Clark Erkenbeck. He was raised by the Rev. Francis and Ina  Reames of Lacota, Mich. He retired in October 2000 from Brown & Bigelow Advertising after 35 years as a salesman with the company. He was a member
of  Grace United Methodist Church, a former member of the Lions Club and a  graduate of Worsham College of Mortuary Science. He was a Marine Corps  veteran of World War II, stationed in the Caribbean. He married Marjorie R. Henns
June 7, 1957. He later married Rowena Gilbert July 30, 1976.
Surviving are his daughter, Jo Anne Trueblood and husband Daniel E. of  Harristown; son, David A. Erkenbeck and wife Denise of Pittsboro, Ind.;  sister, Betty Jane Smith of Durand, Mich.; sister-in-law, Betty Erkenbeck of
Chicago; granddaughter, Trisha Lee Trueblood; and several nieces and nephews.
He was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Lyman Erkenbeck; and  sister, Joan Rhodes.

Submitted by Jerry Clark - spicebush40@yahoo.com

Minnie R. BLACK
Box 34
Lacota, MI

Passed away Tuesday evening, November 11, 1980 at Restwood Inn Nursing Home. Miss Black was born April 12, 1888 in Lacota and has been a resident of the Lacota and South Haven area all of her life. She was a
grade school teacher at South Haven Central School for 47 years. She was a member of the Lacota Methodist Church and the Retired Teacher's Club.  She is survived by three nephews. The family will receive  friends Thursday evening from 7-9 p.m. at the Calvin Funeral Home, South Haven where private family services will be held Friday at 11 a.m., Rev.
Joseph Pratt officiating. Interment in Lacota Cemetery

Submitted by Jerry Clark - spicebush40@yahoo.com


Our community was saddened on Tuesday morning last week when it was learned that Frank Clark, one of our best known and highly respected citizens, had passed away at the South Haven Hospital after a long illness, at the age of 76 years. He was born June 12, 1860, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin R, Clark of Geneva township and had spent his whole life in this section of Michigan. Mr. Clark owned a general store and had been an undertaker for 50 years in Lacota, but for the last few months had lived in Pullman.
Mr. Clark was married to Miss Ada Combs of Lacota, and five children were born to this union. Mrs. Clark passed away in 1904, and one daughter, Valda, died in 1926. In 1912 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Thomas, and one daughter, Miss Wi1darene, was born to them, who with his wife did everything to make his last days as easy and pleasant as possible.
Besides the widow and five children he leaves one brother of Kalamazoo, and thirteen grandchildren.
The funeral was held at Lacota on Thursday afternoon at 3:00 o’clock, Rev. Oldt of South Haven and Rev. Stormes of Casco officiating. Interment was made in the Lacota cemetery.
The many flowers paid silent tribute to the man who for so long had been a staunch and loyal friend to every man, woman and child who came in contact with him.

Card of Thanks
We wish to express our sincere appreciation to all those who so kindly assisted us during the illness and death
of our dear husband and father. We also greatly appreciate the many beautiful floral offering.
Mrs. F. J. Clark,
Mrs. Lela Culver,
Mr. Arlie Clark
Mr. and Mrs. Ben Clark,
Mr. and Mrs. Glee Clark,
Miss Wildarene Clark.

Submitted by Jerry Clark - spicebush40@yahoo.com


Levi Ettinger Lacked But A Few Months of Ninety years old.
     Levi Jestine Ettinger, Son of George and Jerusha Ettinger, was born at Akron, Ohio, November 18,1828, and died in Decatur, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George Coulson, February 15th, 1917, aged 89 years, 3 months and 17 days.
    He spent several of his young years teaching school and finally moved to Indiana, near LaGrange.
    Mr. Ettinger's first marriage was to Miss. Julia Green, and to this union there were born six children, only one. Marion Ettinger of Lansing surviving.
    Again Mr. Ettinger was married to Miss. Malinda Gerren and six children came to bless this home.  Five of this group are still
    The children are Mrs. Geo. Coulson, in whose home Mr. Ettinger spent his last years, Mrs. Sylvia Paddock of Buchanan, Mrs. Mary Hart of Lansing, and two sons, Mr. Jestine Ettinger and Dennis Ettinger, whose last known residence was St. Louis, Mo.
    Two brothers also remain, Mr. Orlando and Mr. Nathaniel Ettinger of Mendon.
    There are also seventeen grand children and five great grandchildren left to mourn his departure.
    His burial was in Harison Cemetery, unmarked grave, next to the George and Isa Coulson graves.

From Sharon Woods Cornell  - jr2002@ACD.NET


Went Out In The Country To His Work Sunday Evening
And Was Found Dead In Bed In The Morning.

    George Coulson, one of Decatur's most industrious and respected citizens, was found dead in his bed on the Ray Morris farm in East Valley early Monday morning.  This farm is now owned by Menzo Crippen and Mr. Coulson was working some of his land   During the week he slept in the granary.  He spent Sunday with his family and went out to the farm in the evening.
    Funeral services were held in the Christian Church Wednesday afternoon at two o'clock, Frank Flagg officiating, and burial was in Harison cemetery.
    George Coulson, son of Ira and Emily Coulson, was born January 11,1868, at Comstock, Michigan.  He died June 18th, 1917, aged 69 years, 5 months and 7 days.
    When about a year and a half of age his parents moved to Waverly township and here Mr. Coulson grew to manhood among the pioneer surroundings of that date.  While here he was married to Isa Ettinger of PawPaw November 9,1891.
    Five children were born to this union of whom four still remain to comfort the wife and mother in her time of sorrow.  Mrs. Eva Coulson Wood of Decatur, Mrs. Ruth Coulson Spratt of Lansing, Miss. Flossie Coulson and Jay Coulson at home with their mother.  One son passed away in infancy.
    Of Mr. Coulson's near relatives there remains his mother and sister Minnie Coulson of Waverly, Frank Coulson of Gobleville, Irvin Coulson of Canton, Mississippi, Mrs. Nettie Lockman and Mrs. Ora Davis of Waverly, brothers and sisters of the deceased.
    About fourteen years ago Mr. Coulson moved with his family to the Morris farm and later to Decatur where he has since resided.  He worked for various farmers until a few years ago when he arranged to farm for himself, and was making good at the ventur
   During the years that he has been among us he has established himself in the hearts of his fellowmen with highest esteem.  He
was an honest steady going man and has given to the community a worthy useful life.

From Sharon Woods Cornell   - jr2002@ACD.NET

Mrs. Dennis M. Baldwin
     Mrs. Carrie Virginia Baldwin, 68, who had lived 26 years on the Union City road, north of Stanley Corners in Newton
Township, died at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday in a local hospital, where she had been a patient for five weeks.  Mrs. Baldwin
was born in Silvercreek, Cass  County, May 2, 1889, the daughter of John and Helen (Vanderhoof) Woods.  She was married
at Decatur in 1909 to Dennis M. Baldwin who died in August, 1947.  She is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Duane (Myrtle)
Wilbur and Mrs Earl (Lodema) Hunter and a son, Ford R. Baldwin, all of Newton Township; four stepsons, Jesse Bald-
win of Hanover; Roy J. Baldwin, 12529 E. Michigan Ave.; Floyd Baldwin of Marshall and Selah Baldwin of Burlington; two step-daughters, Mrs Kit Kalbetzer of Decatur and Mrs. Mabel Smith, Ceresco; a brother, Clarence Woods of Kalamazoo; 14
grandchildren and 10 great grandchildren.  Mrs. Baldwin was a member of the Maccabees.

From Sharon Woods Cornell - jr2002@ACD.NET


    Dennis M. Baldwin was a son of the late Jonathan and Jane Baldwin and was born in Porter township October 11,
1863.  He departed this life August 4,1947, at the age of 83 years, at his home in Newton township, south of Battle
     Mr. Baldwin as a young man spent his time in and around Decatur doing baling work and farming.  Early in
life he was married to Miss Emma Branigan of Benton Harbor, formerly of Decatur.  She passed away two years after they were married, leaving a young daughter, who is now Mrs. Kittie Calbetzor of Decatur.
     Later he was married to Phoebe Thompson, also of Decatur.  She also departed this life, leaving six children.  They are Jesse of Hanover, Mich., Roy of Battle Creek, Selah of Coldwater, Mrs. Mabel Smith of Ceresco, Mrs. Ona Shepard of Battle Creek.
     In 1910, January 29, he was married to Miss. Carrie Woods, daughter of the late John and Helen Woods of Decatur.  Three children were born to this union who survive with the widow and other children.  They are Ford at home, Myrtle Wilbur and Lodema Hunter, both of Battle Creek.
     Mr. Baldwin was a kind and loving father, and besides raising his large family of boys and girls, he took in his home his little
granddaughter when she was but a year old and kept her and provided a home for her.  She is Virginia Hunter and still resides with his wife Carrie.
     Besides the children and wife, he leaves 32 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. Clara Bennett of Benton Harbor, one brother George of Kalamazoo.  He leaves a host of nieces and nephews in and around Decatur.
     Funeral services were held August 7 at the Court Funeral home in Marshall and interment followed in Newton Cemetery.
     Casketbearers were Dosrey and Eugene Calbetzor, Lee and Ward Baldwin, Frank and Leon Smith, all grandsons.

From Sharon Woods Cornell - jr2002@ACD.NET



John Woods was born on the 24th of March, 1856, in Silver Creek township, county of Cass, and died September 17,1930, at the home of his son in Kalamazoo.  He was the son of Burel and Artie Hinchman Woods. In 1878 he was united
 in marriage to Helen Van-derhoof of Hamilton township. To  this union were born eight children of whom three survive. They are Clarence B Woods of Kalamazoo, John W Woods of Lansing, and Carrie Baldwin of Battle Creek.
Ten grandchildren also survive, besides other relatives, and many friends.
Funeral services were held in the Methodist Church, Decatur, last Sunday. Rev. E.C. Finkbeiner officiating. Burial followed in Hamilton Cemetery.
John Woods was a resident of Decatur for many years. He was a quiet man, always pleasant, industrious and a good citizen. He met the problems of life to the best of his ability, and seldom if ever complained.

From Sharon Woods Cornell - sc2000@myexcel.com


Helen M Vanderhoof, daughter of William and Lodema Vanderhoof, was born in the town of Keene, Ionia County, Michigan, March 25,1859, and died May 27,1897.  At the age of 5 she moved to Hamilton with her parents. In the year of 1877 she united with the Methodist Church in Decatur. In 1878 she was married to John B. Woods. She was the mother of
eight children, six sons and two daughters, two sons proceeded her to the other world. In 1880 she moved to
Madison, Dakota. After living there eight years, they moved to Dowagiac, then returning to Hamilton, where she
lived until her death.
Mrs Woods was a quiet, lovable women. a kind wife and an affectionate mother. Durning her long illness she was ever
cheerful, hopeful and patient, bearing her suffering with great fortitude. Besides her parent and family, she leaves
a large circle of friends and neighbors to mourn her loss.
The funeral took place at Hamilton hall Sunday, May 30th, at 11 o'clock a.m., conducted by Elder-J.H. Hammond of
Decatur. The respect and sympathy of friends and neighbors was manifested by the large attendance and floral offerings
that decorated the casket. Notwithstanding the cold disagreeable day, fifty teams formed the long procession that followed the loved form to the beautiful Hamilton Cemetery, where her sleeping dust was laid to wait the resurrection morn.

"Brief death and darkness endless life and light,
Brief divining, endless abining in yon sphere
Where all is incorruptible and pure,
The joy without the pain, the smile without the tear."

From Sharon Woods Cornell - sc2000@myexcel.com


Harold Woods age 14 years and a son of John B Woods of this village, was shot and killed by his playmate, Beryl Adams, also age 14 years, at the Woods farm in Hamilton twp. last Thursday shortly after noon.
The boys had accompanied John B Woods to the farm and had assisted him in doing some farm work during the forenoon. They ate their dinner in the old house upon the farm. After dinner John B Woods went out of the house, but before going out told the boys not to touch a shotgun that was standing in the corner, as it was loaded. The boys then began talking
about the gun and each asserted that he was not afraid of it. The Adams boy reached a- round from a milkcan he was sitting
to show Harold he was not afraid of it, hit it. Harold punched it with a old buggy spoke when he moved his hands. The gun exploded, the charge striking Harold in the left cheek,passing upward and lodged in his brain at the top of the head.
John B Woods hearing the explosion, looked in the door just in time to see his son fall. The Adams boy cannot tell whether the gun slipped from his hands and he caused the explosion or whether Harold caused by  striking it with the buggy spoke.
No blame is attached to the Adams boy, except that of his disobedience to the order of John B Woods not to touch the gun and of extreme carelessness, and the same blame would attach to the to the dead boy.
Harold Woods lived with his father in Decatur Village. Buryl Adams is a son of Charles Adams of Dowagiac, but has been in the charge of his guardian S,P. Ball of Wayne twp. for sometime past, his mother having died some three years ago. Mr Ball had secured him a home in the family of E.F. Baxter of Hamilton twp., where he resided at the time of the accident.
The day before the accident young Adams came to visit Harold with Mr. and Mrs. Baxter.  When they were ready to go home they could not find him and returned without him. He stayed all night with the Woods boy and the next day went to the farm with Harold and his father.
No coronor's inquest was held; It was not deemed necessary.
The funeral services of the dead boy were held at the Methodist Church in Decatur Sunday at 2:30 o"clock. His burial was in Hamilton Cemetery.

Harold G Woods was born Jan.31,1895, in Hamilton twp. He died June 17,1909. Aged 14 years, 4 months and
7 days. When he was two years old his darling mother died. He then went to live with his Mrs. Pound until he was six years old. In 1899 his father was again married, making a home for his children, and Harold came home to live, where he has been for the
greater part of the intervening time. Harold was a happy bright faced boy, with a smile for everybody. His neighbors all loved him for his sweet disposition.
On Wed. night a companion stayed with Harold at his home and in company with the father and brother they went to the farm on Thursday. At noon playing in the yard with his friend, Harold  was accidentally shot through the head and fell  at his companions feet dead.
He leaves to mourn his father, one sister and  two brothers, and a host of friends in the neighborhood of his Aunt where he spent six years of his life. His funeral was held in the Methodist Church on Sunday at 2:30. Rev. J.W. Davids officiating. We laid his body away in Hamilton Cemetery.


We desire to express our sincere thanks
to our many friends who assisted in our
sad bereavement and showed us so much
John B Woods and Family.

From Sharon Woods Cornell -sc2000@myexcel.com



John W. Woods, 48 of 818 Johnson Avenue, Lansing, died at a local hospital Tuesday  evening, January 28, following a lingering illness. He had been a resident of Lansing for the past ten years, having gone there from Decatur. He is survived by the widow, Eva; two daughters, Mrs Ica Fowler, of Gleason, Tenn., Mrs Madeline Pittman of Lansing, one son, George Woods of Lansing; one brother,  Clarence Woods of Kalamazoo, and one sister Mrs Carrie Baldwin of Battle Creek.
The body lay in state at the Goraline-Runcimen funeral home until Thursday morning at 10 o'clock, and funeral services
were held from the M.E. church at Decatur at 1:30 o'clock. Interment was in the Harrison cemetery at Decatur.
Older residents of Decatur will remember the Woods family and also the George Coulson family of which Mrs. Woods was a member. They were known here as good substantial Christian people.
Among the relatives who accompanied the body of John Woods to Decatur and attended the funeral services were the widow, Mrs Eva Coulson Woods, and three children, Mrs George Coulson, Jay Coulson and family, Mrs Ernest  Spratt and family, Mrs May Longley and daughter, Mrs. Carrie Hall and son Lewis Hall of Waverly,  Mrs. Flossie Smith of Portland, and Mrs. Lilia Moore of Benton Harbor.
John Woods was born in Madison, S. Dak., April 16,1887, and died in Lansing January 28,1936.

From Sharon Woods Cornell - sc2000@myexcel.com

4521 Wilcox Road
Holt, MI.
Died Friday. She is survived by 2 daughters, Madeline Foote of Holt, Ica Fowler of Holt, one son George Woods of Olivet, Mi., one sister, Mrs Ruth Spratt of Lansing, 10 grandchildren, 18 great grand-children. Funeral services to be held at 10 o'clock a.m. Monday morning at the Jewett Funeral Home.  Burial in Harrison Cemetery, Decatur, Michigan.

From Sharon Woods Cornell - sc2000@myexcel.com

Dowagiac Mich. Friday Evening May 25,1906

James Woods Seriously Injured This Afternoon

James Woods fell from the new barn under erection at the David Welsh farm in Silver Creek this noon and was seriously injured. Only meagre details were obtainable up to this hour. Mr. Woods, who is proprietor of the Marguerite
Flouring Mills, was assisting on the barn when the accident happened. The fall occurred about 1 o'clock, and a messenger was sent at once to this city for medical assistance.
At the late hour this afternoon the information was received that Mr. Wood was knocked from  the building by being struck with a falling timber. He fell twelve feet.  Dr. W.W. Easton was called and found two ribs broken. He is also suffering with concussion of the brain and may be hurt internally. It is too early to determine if his injuries will prove fatal.



James Woods of Silver Creek expired Sunday May 27,1906.


He suffered internal injuries from his fall from the Welsh barn.

James Woods, the Silver Creek Miller,  died Sunday morning at 11 o'clock of his injuries received Friday while at work on
the new barn at the David Welsh farm.  Internal injured caused death. Mr. Woods head cleared up and he was conscious up
to 10 minutes before death.  The accident happened at 1 o'clock Friday. Mr Woods was assisting in raising a plate
into position from a scaffolding when the  timber got away from them and fell, one end  of it striking Mr Woods a glancing blow on the collar bone, breaking two ribs as it fell. The blow knocked him to the ground several feet below. It was the internal injuries received in the fall that caused death. The barn where the accident happened is only a short distance from Marguerite Mills, of which Mr Woods was proprietor.
The deceased was nearly 48 years of age and he leaves a wife and two children.

From Sharon Woods Cornell - sc2000@myexcel.com

In our Breedsville items will be found a brief account of the sudden death of Thomas S. Willis, of this township.  Mr. Willis was about 55 years of age.  He moved here from Indiana 19 years ago, was an earnest christian man and a good citizen.  He leaves a family of nine children, several of them married, the youngest being 19 years of age.

The Bangor Reflector - March 16, 1883
submitted by Joan Jaco - joanjaco@cybersol.com

The True Northerner, Paw Paw, Michigan
April 10, 1884

Ethel Foot of Keeler, a child three years old, drank carbolic acid, and on the 28th ult, died in convulsions.

submitted by Joan Jaco - joanjaco@cybersol.com

The Bangor Advance 27 July 1944

Mrs. Mary Merrifield Passes With Heart Attack

Mrs. Mary Merrifield, 76, passed away at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Miner Thomas, where she had been visiting for several weeks, early Thursday morning. Death came as she slept and was caused by a heart ailment.

Mrs. Merrifield was born in Martin, MI, June 17, 1868, daughter of Isaac and Lucy Catt. She was the widow of C. H. Merrifield.

She had made her home for the past 28 years with her sister, the late Miss Harriet Catt, at the Catt home. Last winter she went to Grand Rapids to be with her daughters and returned to Bangor some weeks ago to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Thomas. She was a faithful member of the Christian Church and took part in its activities as long as her health permitted.

She leaves three daughters, Mrs. Dawn Wilkinson, Mrs. Marjorie Woods, and Mrs. Katherine Buike, all of Grand Rapids, and 11 grandchildren. Also one brother, Myron Catt, South Haven, and one sister, Mrs. Verne McDowell, Albany, OR.

Rev. Vernon J. Murray…Burial in Arlington Hills Cemetery

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

Bangor Advance 2 Dec. 1943

Harriet Catt Taken by Death
Taught local school for 47 years

The entire community was saddened Saturday night when new of the the death of Harriet T. Catt reached here.

Mrs. Catt passed away that afternoon at the home of her niece, Mrs. Otto Buike, in Grand Rapids, after an illness of several months.

…Miss Catt was the daughter of Isaac and Lucy Emerson Catt. Her birthplace was McMinvilleTN. She came to southern Michigan with her parents in her childhood and received her education in South Haven High School, State Teachers College of Education and National College of Education in Evanston IL. All her teaching experience had been local with the exception of one year, which was spent in Nebraska.

…Her surviving family consists of a brother and two sisters, Myron Catt of South Haven, Mrs. C. H. Merrifield of Bangor and Mrs. I. A. McDowell of Albany OR and several nieces and nephews.

Burial in Arlington Hill Cemetery

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

The Bangor Advance 21 April 1916

Death of Mrs. Isaac Catt

Lucy A. Emerson was born August 6, 1842 in Chautauqua NY and died at her home in Bangor April 14, 1916.

The deceased came to Kalamazoo with her parents when she was five years of age and she was married to Isaac Catt September 25, 1858. Mr. Catt died June 14, 1898. To this union five children were born, all living and were present at her funeral which was held at her home on the 18th. Mrs. Catt became a Christian early in life and has always been a faithful member of the Christian church, a leader in its missionary activities and social life. She had resided in Bangor for the past 23 years and was for several years president of the local C. T. U.

Mrs. Catt was one of the choice Christian characters of the community and will be greatly missed. She was one whom all liked to meet and greet and until her declining days was always active in doing some kindness unto others. There are left to hold her in loving memory her five children-Myron B. of South Haven; Charles R. of Niles; Mrs. Mary A. Merrifield of Gobleville; Harriet T. Catt of Bangor and Mrs. Verne McDowell of Albany OR.

Burial Arlington Hill

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

The Bangor Advance 17 June 1898

Over the Silent River

While all was merriment and hustle in our quiet village Tuesday morning with the preparation for the exercises attending the last day of school, not so at the home of Mrs. Isaac Catt, where her beloved husband was dying, and at 7:00, this companion with whom she has braved the stormy voyage of life for nearly 40 years, passed over the silent river of death, leaving a happy home desolate and a happy family broken-hearted.

Mr. Catt was a man highly respected by all and since his residence in Bangor had made many warm friends. He was a quiet gentleman, reserved in manners, exemplar in his habits, frugal and industrious.

The deceased was born in Essex County England, September 1828 and in 1849 at the age of 21 came to America to make his home under the starry folds of t he red, white, and blue and till the time of his demise was a loyal citizen of the U. S. he settled in martin, Allegan  County, and in September 1858 was married to Lucy Ann Emerson with whom he passed nearly 40 years. This union was blessed with five children. Two daughters remain at home, one is married and resides in Bloomingdale; one son, C. R. Catt is a respected citizen of Bangor. The other M. B. Catt lives at their former home in Martin. He also has a brother in England.

The family came to Bangor about 6 years ago. He was a member of the Advent Church.

Burial Arlington Hills.

Submitted by Roxann Wilkinson - david.s.wilkinson@worldnet.att.net

From the files at Decatur Library -


      Frederick William Kreger, R2, Grand Junction, passed away Friday, May 23, unexpectedly in his car, about one and one half mile north of the Akerly school.
      He was born on June 17, 1886, in Chicago, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kreger.  He married Margaret Dumpke in Chicago on September 25, 1907.  They moved to the Grand Junction area about 43 years ago.
      Mr. Kreger was a street car conductor in Chicago and then was a farmer.
      He is survived by his wife, Margaret, a son, Earl of Grand Junction, four daughters, Mrs. Bernice
Putman, R5, South Haven, Mrs. Mildred Nicholson, Climax, and Mrs. Evelyn Rigan and Mrs. Helen
Lewis, both of Kalamazoo, 11 grandchildren and four great grandchildren.
      Funeral services were held Monday, May 26, at 2 p.m. at the Stafford funeral home, with the Rev. Harold Filbrandt of the Lacota Methodist church officiating.  Burial was in Chambers cemetery.


In the files at Decatur Library - May 21, 1964

      Mrs. Margaret Elnora Kreger passed away Saturday evening, May 16, at the South Haven
Community Hospital where she had been a patient for the past three weeks.
      Mrs. Kreger was born September 18, 1889 in Chicago, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charles
Dumpke.  She was married September 25, 1907 in Chicago to Fred W, Kreger, and they came to this community 49 years ago.  Mr. Kreger preceded her in death in 1958.
      Mrs. Kreger is survived by five children: Earl C. Kreger of Huntington, W. Va.; Mrs. Bernice Putman, R5, South Haven; Mrs. Mildred Nicholson, of Scotts; Mrs. Evelyn Rigan and Mrs. Helen Lewis of Kalamazoo; 13 grandchildren and 15 great grandchildren.
      Funeral service was held Wednesday afternoon at 2:00 p.m. in the Stafford Funeral Home with the Rev. John Willis of the First Congregational Church officiating and burial in Chambers Cemetery.


In the Kalamazoo Gazette - Monday, May 18, 1964

Mrs. Margaret Elnora,
Route 2, Grand Junction -

Passed away Saturday evening, May 16.  Mrs. Kreger was born Sept. 18, 1889, in Chicago and had made her home at Route 2, Grand Junction for the past 49 years.  Her husband, Fred William Kreger, passed away in 1958.  Mrs. Kreger is survived by 5 children, Earl C. of Huntington, W. Va., Mrs. Bernice Putman of South Haven, Mrs. Mildred Nicholson of Scotts, Mrs. Evelyn Rigan and Mrs. Helen Lewis of Kalamazoo; 13 grandchildren; 15 great grandchildren.  Funeral services will be held Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Stafford Funeral Home, Bangor.  Burial in Chambers Cemetery.


Hartford Day Spring, Friday, March 15, 1901
Another Pioneer is Gone
Hezekiah K. Nooney died at his residence in this village on Tuesday morning the twelfth from paralysis  and the infirmities of age.

He was born at Chester, Hampshire Co., Mass, March 21, 1813 and passed his youthful days in that vicinity.  March 1,  1842, he was married to Miss Martha S. Whitney, at Old Suffield, Connecticut.  The fruits of this union are three daughters and one son: Mrs. Esther W. Mather and Mrs. Maria M. Bridges of Watervliet, Mrs. Mary A. Austin of Kalamazoo, and James K. Nooney of this village, who with the widow, are left to mourn his death.

Mr. Nooney was one of those thorough, energetic men who was not only a benefit to himself, but to all around him, was ever ready to engage in any laudable enterprise and lend a helpping hand when and wherever needed.  On the discovery of gold in California, he was among the first to take the trip, going from New York to Panama by steamer and crossing the Isthmus on foot.

Soon after his return in 1855, he came to this township and purchased a farm about three miles west
from this village, the only improvements being log buildings and a few acres of cleared land.  Being a
blacksmith by trade, he united the two industries, making a specialty of shoeing oxen in the days of
lumbering, the frame for holding them standing in front of his shop, being an advertisement that drew
custon from miles away.

By his energy and industry, he soon changed the features of a wild home to that of a well cultivated farm with fine buildings and pleasant and comfortable surroundings.

About twelve yers ago, when his strength began to fail, he purchased a home in this village, where he
lived until he passed on to the land of spirits.  About three years ago he was stricken with paralysis,
which deprived him of the power of speech, since which time he has been a mute listener to what was passing, yet ever cheerful, patiently bearing his affliction until relieved by death after traveling life's pathway 87 years, 11 months and 21 days.

Although he is gone he will long be remembered.  Rememberred by his family as a kind husband and
father, by his neighbors as one with whom they have passed many pleasant hours and the community
as one who has devoted a life's labor inthe improvement of the town.

The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 10:30 at the M.E. church, and burial will take place at the old cemetery.

Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com

Watervliet Record, Friday, November 4, 1910

Mrs. Martha Nooney

Mrs. Nooney died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. ElP. Mather, in this village early Monday morning, aged 86 years past.

Martha S. Whitney was born July 3, 1824 in Agawam, Connecticut.  In her early childhood she was
taken to Canada with her parents, where she lived a number of years, later moving to Chester Village, Massachusetts, where she was united in Marriage to Hezekiah K. Nooney, November 1, 1842.  In the early pioneer days of 1851, they came to Michigan, settling on a farm near Hartford. She was left a widow in 1900.  She was buried at Hartford November 1, 1910, on the 65th anniversary of her marriage, leaving four children, Mrs. Ella W. Mathers and Mrs. J.W. Bridges of Watervliet, James K. Nooney of Hartford and Mrs. G.W. Austin of Kalamazoo.  For the last two years she has suffered terribly, but was patient and uncomplaining until the merciful relief came.

 Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com

Hartford Day Spring, Friday, December 11, 1914

Funeral of James Nooney

Funeral services for James Nooney, who was found dead at his home in the northeast part of the village last Wednesday afternoon, were held at his home Friday.  Rev. J.S. Hamilton officiating, and interment took place at the old cemetery on west Main Street.  Mr. Nooney was 69 years o age and a widower.  He had been a resident of Hartford for many years.  For several years he had lived alone, and of late had been in poor health.

He leaves two sisters, Mrs. George Austin of Kalamazoo, and Mrs. E.P. Mather of Watervliet.

Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com

Hartford Day Spring, Friday June 1, 1888

Mr. Lyman Bridges, father of Hosea and Lyman Bridges, Jr., died of paralysis on Tuesday at the home of his son, Lyman, west of town.  The funeral services were conducted at the home by Elder Dewey.  Mr. Bridges was 83 years old

Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com

Hartford Day Spring, May 11, 1910

Hosea Bridges

Hosea Bridges, a resident of Hartford for over 40 years, died at his home in the West part of the Village last Sunday, May 8, 1910, from the infirmities of age.

Mr. Bridges was born in Peru, New York, January 7, 1834, and came to Michigan when 30 years of age, settling at Watervliet.  A few years later, he came to Hartford and has since resided here.

He was married to Miss Jane Pierce in 1854, and she died in 1864.  In 1865, he was married to Mrs. Martha Beeney, who died September last. He leaves three children, Mrs. Ruth Beckwith and J.H. Bridges of Battle Creek, and Mrs. Jennie B. Thompson of Hartford.

Funeral services for him were at his late home Tuesday afternoon, and interment took place at

Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com

The Hartford Day Spring, Wednesday, December 15, 1920

Lyman Bridges Dies At Mishawaka, Ind.

Body of Hartford Pioneer is Brought Here Today For Burial

Lyman Bridges, aged about 75, a pioneer resident of Hartford and a veteran of the Civil War, died
yesterday at the home of his son, William Bridges, in Mishawaka, Indiana, where he had gone to spend the winter.  His death was due to heart trouble and followed an illness of about four weeks.

His body will be brought to Hartford this afternoon and funeral services will be held Thursday, although the hour has not yet been announced.  Interment will be in the family lot at Maple Hill.

Mr. Bridges was among the best known of Hartford's pioneers.  He had resided here for over half a
century, and in the earlier days he took an active part in local business and political affairs. He was a
member of the Masonic fraternity and one of the oldest memgers of Florida Lodge of this Village.

Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com

The Hartford Day Spring, Wednesday, March 6, 1918

The body of Mrs. Sarah M. Bridges, who died at the home of her son, William Bridges, at Mishawaka, Ind., on February 27, was brought to Hartford Thursday and funeral services were held at the E.M. Johns home on Maple Street on Friday, with interment at Maple Hill.  Rev. T. Porter Bennett officiated at the services.  Her death was sudden, following an illness of only a few hours of unraemic poisoning.  Mrs.Bridges, whose maiden name was Sarah M. Thomas, had been a lifelong resident of Hartford, having been born here on July 3, 1850.  She was a daughter of William and Mary Thomas, pioneers of this township.  She was united in marriage to Lyman Bridges on February 15, 1868 and to this union four children were born, William of Mishawaka, Ind., Guy, now deceased, Ollie of Mishawaka, and Mrs. Hazel Manzer of Coldwater, Michigan.  She is also survived by one brother, Miner Thomas of Bangor, and three sisters, Mrs. T.J. Johns, Mrs. E.M. Johns, and Mrs. Charles Leach, all of Hartford.

Submitted by Barbara Probst - bkprobst@racc2000.com


23 Mar 1939
Kalamazoo Gazette
Southwestern Michigan Deaths

Gobles-Frank Gorton, 82, retired farmer, died Wednesday at the home of his daughter, Mrs John Rice in Battle Creek where he was taken a few weeks ago.  He was born in Waverly township, Van Buren County and has spent most of his life in and near Gobles.  Mrs Gorton died in 1931. He is survived by the daughter and one son, Lynn Gorton of Wolf Point, Mont and several grandchildren.  Services will be held a 2:30pm from the Andre funeral home in Gobles with burial in the Robinson cemetery.

Submited by Stephanie Briggs - sbriggs@surfmk.com

 If you have an obit that you'd like on this page, send it to me and I'll post it.
 Joan Jaco - joanjaco@cybersol.com

Return to Main Page