Patrick Noud


Portrait And Biographical Record Of Northern Michigan
Containing Portraits And Biographical Sketches Of Prominent
And Representative Citizens
Record Publishing Co., 1895

In the life of this successful business man of Manistee are illustrated the results of perseverance and energy, coupled with judicious management and strict integrity. He is a citizen of whom any community might well be proud, and the people of this locality, fully appreciating his ability, accord him a place in the foremost rank of representative business men. His life shows what may be accomplished by energy and determination, even if the outlook is discouraging at first. Few have had so many obstacles to overcome as had he in starting out for himself. For years he struggled against adverse circumstances, at times unable to secure work, and at other times unable to secure the pay for the work he had done; but at last prosperity rewarded his efforts, and he is now President of the State Lumber Company, and one of the most influential business men in Manistee.

Both the paternal and maternal ancestors of Mr. Noud were of Irish lineage. He was born in Anprior, Ontario, Canada, January 19, 1845, and was the eldest of four children comprising the family of Thomas and Mary (Ryan) Noud, natives of Ireland. His mother died when he was nine, and his father three years later, after which his sister was taken into the home of an aunt in Montreal, and the other children were reared by their grandfather Ryan. In his home Patrick remained until twenty years of age, after which he came to the States, his objective point being Traverse City, Mich., where he had an acquaintance. On reaching Detroit, Mr. Noud had but $7.00, and with this bought a ticket to Northport, in order to be sure of reaching the northern portion of the state. He arrived in Traverse City penniless. His first work was for five hours at the rate of twenty cents per day. He then walked to Elk Rapids, hoping to secure a position with Dexter & Noble, but found them discharging instead of hiring men. Accordingly he returned to Elk Rapids, where he left his trunk for his board bill. A long walk to Traverse city proved fruitless, and, getting no work, he with two other men walked to a camp on Manistee River, thirty miles from the city of that name. It seemed as if fortune had at last smiled upon him, for he secured work and continued there all winter. However, when he endeavored to secure his wages June 1, he was unable to get a cent, the firm having gone away and left him in the lurch. The only compensation he ever received for his work was his board and a plug of tobacco. When spring came, and his efforts to secure his money proved unavailing, he once more started out in search of work.

In a mill at the head of the Manistee River, Mr. Noud finally secured a position, but after a week he hired out to a contractor as a log driver. His employer did not tell him what his wages were to be, but after working for three months he received $2 per day, or $156 for the summer, this being the highest wages paid. In log rolling he became an expert, and in fact became familiar with every detail connected with the lumber business.

In company with three gentlemen (all of whom are now deceased), Mr. Noud took a contract for getting out squared timber. This work consumed four months, the profits being $4 per day. He then entered the employ of William Magoon, who paid him $30 a month for cutting sawlogs. After one winter thus spent, he was promoted to the position of foreman of the camp, receiving $45 per month, and having twenty men under him. In the fall of the same year Mr. Magoon formed a partnership with R.G. Peters, and Mr. Noud became their foreman at $52 per month, having control of sixty men. In this capacity he was employed for two years.

Two years later Mr. Peters offered our subject a contract in the North, and while going tither, riding a mustang pony, he was run over by a load of logs in a ravine. His limb was badly crushed, and from the result of his injuries he was incapacitated for active work for three months. The accident occurred twenty-five miles from Manistee and he was brought to this city, where he remained until his recovery. As soon as able to work, he accepted a position as foreman for S.D. Clarke, of Chicago, on Portage Lake, where he was at the head of thirty men for three months. According to the contract, he was to receive $100 per month, but Clarke assigned and the men were refused payment. A lawyer was consulted, who stated that if the timber could be prevented from being stamped, in the spring it could be attached. On receiving this counsel, Mr. Noud returned to the camp and secured the stamp of the scaler. This he threw into Portage Lake, thereby preventing the stamping of the timber. The following spring, when the company refused payment, they were informed of the condition of the matter, and soon settled in full with Mr. Noud and his men.

Returning to the employ of R.G. Peters, our subject was engaged as foreman for six months. In 1873 he took a contract to put in thirty million feet of timber, which required his attention until 1877, and brought him $16,000 clear. His next position was that of Superintendent for Mr. Peters, which gave him the control of about one hundred and sixty men and the supervision of all the logging work. During the five years he held the position, he received $5 per day and expenses. In 1879 he formed a partnership with Thomas Kenny, which continued for five years. In 1881 he also became connected with the firm of Davis, Blacker & Co.,and built the sawmill now owned by the State Lumber Company, the latter having been organized by Messrs. Blacker, Noud & Dempsey each with one-third interest in the concern. Since the expiration of the contract with Mr. Peters, much of the time of Mr. Noud has been given to the affairs of the State Lumber Company, and to the towing and sorting of logs in connection with Mr. Kenny, and recently he has succeeded to the former lumbering business of John C. Pomeroy. He is also President of the Manistee Liquor Company, a wholesale concern.

The State Lumber Company furnishes employment to about three hundred men in the mill, and one hundred and fifty men in their camps in the woods. The plant has a capacity of twenty millions during the navigation season of about eight months, and there is a salt block with a daily capacity of one thousand barrels. The products are shipped largely by lake, though the railroads are used to some extent. To this concern, of which he is president, Mr. Noud gives his entire time, and the enterprise has proved quite renumerative.

September 5, 1870, Mr. Noud was united in marriage with Miss Susan Agnes McCurdy, a native of Canada. They are the parents of the following named children: Mary Georgiana, Thomas James, John Francis, Bernard Daniel, Arthur Joseph (who died at five years of age), Maud Alice, Walter A. and Reuben Patrick. The family is connected with the Guardian Angels Catholic Church. They are building a pleasant residence on the corner of Second and Maple Streets, where they will entertain their friends with gracious hospitality. Politically a Democrat, Mr. Noud has served several terms as Alderman, and was Mayor in 1891-92. During his incumbency of the latter position the electric street railroad was built, and the new Smith Street Bridge projected. About that time some opposition arose in the Council, and the Mayor found it necessary to remove certain officials, including the City Attorney and the Chief of the Fire Department. His ability as a manager was here abundantly proved, for he succeeded in carrying his point and in securing the appointment of his candidates. In many ways he has contributed to the material growth of Manistee, and may justly be numbered among the most efficient business men and progressive citizens of the place.

Return to
1895 Portrait And Biographical Record
Of Northern Michigan

Return to Manistee County