Jug Bridge, Frederick Co, Maryland

Jug Bridge Monument

Frederick, Maryland
Jug Bridge Monument

In 1804, to assist the farmers in transporting their goods to market, a turnpike was begun from Baltimore to Frederick. A resident of Frederick County named Leonard HARBAUGH was considered one of the best stone masons around and was commissioned to build a 65 foot stone arch bridge across the Monocacy River, east of Frederick. Upon completion, he also built this large demijohn, more popularly called a jug. Because of this, even though the bridge was called the Monocacy Bridge, as time went by, it became known as Jug Bridge as did the area around it.

The dwelling, used as a toll house and tavern, still exists and is now a private residence.

Jug Bridge Inscription

The bridge collapsed in 1942 and a higher bridge was built, followed later by an additional bridge when the road became a dual highway, part of Route 40. In the late 1900's, a bus crashed into the second bridge and now only the later and highest bridge is in use.

The Jug was almost forgotten as it couldn't be seen after the higher bridges were built, so it was moved to its present location at East Patrick Street (extended) and Bowman Road.

Return to

© Copyright 1995-2008