- Jacob M. HUFFER to Miss Sarah E. DELAUDER, eldest d/o Samuel DELAUDER, all of Middletown Valley, on the 7th last at the residence of the bride's parents by Rev. H. L. COMFORT. - Cornelius C. DOUB to Miss Florence E. ROUTZAHN, second d/o Hezekiah ROUTZAHN, all of Middletown Valley, on the 12th last at the residence of the bride's parents near Middletown by Rev. G. W. STATTON. - Charles V. C. SANNER of Middletown to Miss Anzonetta TOMS, eldest d/o Ezra TOMS, all of Middletown Valley, on the 14th last at the residence of the bride's parents near Myersville by Rev. G. W. STATTON. - William B. DOWNEY, Esquire and Editor of the Leesburg, VA Republican, to Mrs. Kate MOODY, at the residence of the bride's father, Samuel CULBERTSON, Esquire, in Williamsport on Wednesday morning last by Rev. George G. SMITH. - Jacob L. KEAFAUVER of Middletown area to Miss Mary M. MORRISON, eldest d/o Talbot MORRISON, late of Middletown, on the 7th last at the residence of the bride's parents near Montrose, Montgomery county, Maryland by Rev. COMPEON. - Henry SIGLER to Miss Lydia E. ZECHER, d/o John ZECHER, all of Middletown Valley, on the 7th last at the residence of the bride's parents in Middletown Valley by Rev. D. STECK. - John JAMISON to Mrs. Sarah WILLHIDE, both of the Furnace, on the 14th last at Catoctin Furnace by Rev. John K. NELSON.
- Seibert Luther TOMS, eldest s/o John H. and S. C. TOMS, on the 9th last near Middletown of hemorrhage; age 12y.2m.22d - Mrs. Nancy G. LAMBRIGHT, w/o late Jacob LAMBRIGHT, of this city, on the 11th last in baltimore; age 66y.3m - Miss Barbara WELLER, a native of Pennsylvania but for many years a resident of Mechanicstown and Frederick County, on the 8th last in Baltimore; age 89?y.2m.30d - Mrs. Mary Magdalena LONG, on the 9th last in Lewistown; age 42 years - Edgar SHOEMAKER, s/o John M. and Amy SHOEMAKER, on the 6th last in Franklinville; age 18m - Edith Ann WOOLORD?, d/o Mary Ann and the late William WOOLORD?, on the 12th last near Mechanicstown; age 8y.5m.10d - Mrs. Catharine SHUFF, relict of the late James SHUFF, on the 13th last at Catoctin Furnace; age about 80 years - Daniel ROOT of R., on the 12th last near Ladiesburg; age 66y.2m.10d - Miss Mary Elizabeth KRUGE, d/o Daniel KRUGE, on the 15th last on the Rocky Ridge Road, four miles south of Emmittsburg; age 23 years - Mrs. Mary STANSBURY, w/o Nicholas Croon? STANSBURY and d/o Jacob MUNSHOUR, (no date given) on Tom's Creek near MAXELL's Mill; age 29y.3m.22d; leaving three small children too young to know their loss. - John Thomas ALBAUGH, s/o Jacob and Susan ALBAUGH, (no date given) near Oak Hill; age 1y.5m.23d
- Paul? HERSH to Mary F. GITT, d/o A. F. GITT, on the 14th last, at New Oxford, PA by the Rev. D. J. HAUER, D. D. - Hon. William P. MAULSY? of this city, to Mrs. Anna E. M. FISHER of Westminster, on the 20th last, by the Rev. Julian E. INGLE. - Samuel K. MOORE to Miss Susannah E. MILLER of Sabillasville, on the 19th last in Mechanicstown by the Rev. John K. NELSON. - Daniel H. WACHTER to Miss El___ A. CASTOLL?, all of Frederick County, on the 19th last at the Lutheran Parsonage in Mechanicstown by Rev. SUMMERS. - Thomas M. WACHTER to Miss Cynthia A. C. MEASEL, all of Frederick County, on the 21st last at the same place by the same. (meaning the same as referenced in the listing just before?) - Lewis S. RAMSBURG to Miss Caroline S. HEDGE, both of Bethel in this county, on the 19th last by Rev. A. R. KREMER - John W. SULLIVAN of Chambersburg, PA to Ms Annie E. FARQUHAR of New Market on the 21st last at the Lutheran Parsonage by the Rev. Dr. DIEHL
- Mrs. Margaret WALKER, beloved w/o George B. WALKER of Montgomery Co, MD, died on the 17th last, at the residence of her sons near this city; age 66y.11m. - Samuel M. BRAGONIER, s/o Cpt. A. C. and Elizabeth BRAGONIER, died on the 14th last, in Middletown; age 1y.8m (days are smudged). - John TURNER died on the 12th last, at his residence in Urbana District, this county; age 45 years. - Edwin Albert STOCKSDALE, s/o George and Amanda Virginia STOCKSDALE, died on the 16th last, in Mechanicstown; age 1y.5m.18d. - Amanda Virginia STOCKSDALE, w/o George W. STOCKSDALE, died on the 20th last, in Mechanicstown; age 38? years (years and months smudged), 5 days. - Lizzie BOBLITZ, d/o Ephraim L. and Emma J. BOBLITZ, died on the 21st last, in Mechanicstown; age about 3 years. - Minerva DAVIS, d/o Edward and Catharine DAVIS, died on the 16th last, near Mechanicstown; age 1y.9d. - Mrs. Ann Sophia BOONE, w/o Dennis BOONE, formerly of this county, died on the 11th last, in Shepherdstown, WV; age 50y.20d. - Joseph WATKINS died on the 20th last, in Cumberland, after great suffering, which he bore with Christian fortitude; age 63y.25d.
- Daniel GAVER of Burkittsville, died suddenly last Sunday. It seems he went over with David ARNOLD to Joshua AHALT's to look at some cattle, but while there, was taken sick. He was immediately taken to Ahalt's house, but before medical assistance could be procured, he expired, caused by heart disease.
- Jacob PUTNAM of Woodsboro District, who was arrested a few weeks ago on the charge of poisoning his wife and confined to jail, was discharged on Tuesday last, the testimony before the Grand Jury being insufficient. The analysis of the stomach of the deceased, made at the College of Pharmacy in Baltimore, disclosed no evidence of poison.
Petition to sell Real Estate Peter BUTCHER died in May 1869, intestate, leaving widow, Mary and children ..Harriet w/o Henry FOLEY ..Mary Jane w/o Meredith BABER ..Charles BUTCHER ..Sarah w/o Thomas DREW ..Susan w/o William MATHAS ..William Henry BUTCHER Widow has dower's interest; all heirs are residents of Maryland except William Henry BUTCHER.
- Elizabeth PHEBUS estate; Benjamin F. PHEBUS, Admin - William M. EYLER estate; Daniel V. HARP, Admin
- O. Augustus SHANK to Elizabeth _. SMITH, both of this County, on the 20th last at the Lutheran Parsonage in Woodsboro by Rev. M. W. FAIR. - Thomas H. WEBB to Miss Martha ZIMMERMAN, both of this county on the 26th last in this city by Rev. J. A. PRICE. - Lewis H. BURRIER of this city, to Miss Sarah V. BEARD of Middletown Valley, on the 26th last by Rev. D. STECK. - James H. DAVIS to Miss Annie B. PAXTON, both of Fauquier Co, VA, on the 21st last in this city by Rev. J. C. HUMMER. - William H. KREPS to Miss Margaret Ann STIMMEL, all of this county, in Mechanicstown on the 25th last by Rev. J. SUMMERS. - Nathan ANGEL to Miss Lizzie SHEETS, both of Taneytown District, on Thursday, the 21st last, at Emmitsburg by Rev. E. H. JOHNSON. - John O'HARRA to Miss Mollie L. BAER, both of Bartonsville in this county, on the 28th last at Bartonsville by Rev. Dr. DIEHL.
- John J. VEIT on the 22nd last in this city; age 71y.2m.6d - Jacob HELLER on the 23rd last at his residence in Middletown Valley; age 85y.7m - Daniel GAVER of Burkittsville on the 23rd last, very suddenly of Cramp Colic; age 61y.8m - John J. IRVIN, formerly of Jefferson in this county, on the 15th last in Waynesboro, PA of cancer in the stomach; age 51y.10d - John B. COVER, s/o William and Virginia COVER, on Saturday, the 23rd last, in Mechanicstown; age 1y.9m.5d - Rosalba H. MARTIN, d/o John W. and Ellen MARTIN, on Saturday, the 23rd last, in Mechanicstown; age 2y.8m.10d - Mrs. Mary Catharine BURNS, w/o John BURNS, on Monday, the 25th last, in Mechanicstown; age abt 22 years - Mrs. Eliza J. PORTER, on the 16th last in Philadelphia; age 77 years - Jacob MILLER on the 26th last in Eyler's Valley; age 87y.3m.13d - Mrs. Margaret HOSPELHORN, widow of Henry HOSPELHORN, on the 25th last near Franklinville; age 77y.12d - Georgie Virginia STOCKSDALE, d/o Stephen B. and Annie R. STOCKSDALE, on the 12th last in Finksburg, Carroll County; age 9m.12d - Laura Kate KOLB, oldest d/o Jacob M. KOLB, on the 11th last in Springfield, Ohio; age 16y.2m - Nannie E. CASH, d/o Lewis and Margie CASH, on the 14th last at Double Pipe Creek of Measels; age 8y.4m.12d - Mary Susan SAYLER, d/o Rev. D. R. and Sarah SAYLER, on the 18th last at Double Pipe Creek of Measels; age 5y.28d - Sarah Catharine RENNER, d/o William H. and Lizzie RENNER, on the 21st last at Double Pipe Creek of Measels; age 3y.8m.26d - Ella May EMMERT, d/o J. S. and Annie E. EMMERT and grand-daughter of Elder D. P. and Sarah SAYLER, on the 22nd last at Double Pipe Creek of Measels with Whooping Cough; age 1y.4m.2d - Arthur Leon LAMBERT, s/o Jesse F. and Mary A. LAMBERT, on the 24th last at Double Pipe Creek of Spinal Disease; age 4y.11m.8d - Mrs. Elizabeth HALLER, consort of the late Jacob B. HALLER, on the 29th last of Apoplexy after seven hours illness; age 67y.2m.21d
- Daniel ROOT of R., deceased - Daniel P. SAYLER, adm
- Adam NUSBAUM vs Samuel E. JAMES and wife Catharine, et al To settle mortgage (for 141+ acres) owed to Joseph RUNKLES on 23 Jul 1868 for $4,000 in 4 notes. Runkles assigned two of the notes to William O. SELLMAN and Rachel A. SPARGO; only Sellman's note was paid. The James' have since moved out of Maryland.
- Mrs. Susan ALBAUGH, Frederick County, one of the heirs of the late Abraham SNYDER, purchased a farm belonging to the estate of the deceased, situated near Duffields, Jefferson Co, WV, containing 200 acres at $60/acre. [Valley Register]
- Daniel ROOT of R., deceased - Daniel P. SAYLER, Adm
- Philip HITESHEW, deceased - Matilda J. HITESHEW, Exec
- Last Saturday, a white man by the name of Walter OSBORN, aged 68 years, was found dead in Fishing Creek, near STINE's Saw Mill, in this District, with marks of violence about his head, which has given rise to the suspicion that he was murdered. A week or so previous to his being found, his coat was found with blood on it, which led to the belief that he had been foully dealt with. Some time ago he was an inmate of the Almshouse, but since that was in the employ of Mr. J. B. KUNKLE, and the last time he was seen was a few weeks ago in company with a man who is suspected of murdering him, and what gives strength to the suspicion is the fact that the suspected party has left, but we understand that the officers of the law are in prusuit of him, who will probably capture him. A jury of inquest was held and the verdict rendered was that the deceased came to his death by blows inflicted upon his head.
- Mr. Jacob HELLER, an aged and respected citizen of this Valley, died at his residence about two miles south of this place, on Saturday night last, in the 86th year of his age. Mr. Heller emigrated to this country from Germany many years ago, and took up his residence in this Valley, where he has lived ever since. He served seven years in the French Army under Napoleon First, and with that army passed through the campaign in Russia. - [Valley Register]
- A little son of William ENGLE, living near MYERS' Mill, on Big Hunting Creek, was severely burned on Thursday, the 21st instant. The mother was engaged washing outside the house, and hearing the screams of the child, who had but a moment before been near the fire where she was washing - succeeded in extinguishing the flames. One of the child's legs was almost literally roasted. Dr. Michael J. ZIMMERMAN of Creagerstown rendered aid, and the child is doing well. Be careful of fire. - [Catoctin Clarion]
- On Saturday night last, the chicken houses of George W. RICE on West Third Street, and B. F. M. HURLEY on West Second Street, were robbed of some very valuable game and other select chickens. The thieves have a peculiar way of capturing game, viz: they strike a match and hold it under the bill of the chicken, which causes it to fall without making a noise, thus enabling them to get away without being detected. If these petty thieves continue their operations, we may expect to hear the report of a gun in our neighborhood shortly, as our neighbors are on the lookout. We understand that Mr. Francis BRENGLE lost all his poultry within the last three weeks. There are others reported to us who have lost their poultry.
- Mrs. Mary Magdaline FOX died in Hagerstown on the 12th last; age 102 years, 6 mohths. She was born and married in Frederick County and had 14 children, 56 grand children and 67 great grand children.
Mortgage Settlement - Owed to Joseph RUNKLES from 23 Jul 1868, four notes, each for $1,000, for 141 acre property. Runkles assigned two of the notes, one to William O. SELLMAN and one to Rachel A. SPARGO; only Sellman's note has been paid. The JAMESes have moved out of the state.
- Thomas J. RUPERT to Miss Flora C. PFLIEGER on the 13th last, at the residence of the bride's parents in York, PA by Rev. Mr. LILLY. - Josiah S. MARTIN of Mechanicstown to Miss Loulia STUMPF of Reisterstown on the 27th last, at the M. E. Church, South, in Reisterstown, Baltimore County, by the Rev. Mr. FLAHERTY. - William BLADES to Miss Mary E. FOGLE, both of this county, on the 4th last, at the residence of the bride's parents by Elder D. P. SAYLER.
- Clinton Stewart DEGRANGE, s/o G. W. and S.E. DEGRANGE, in Martinsburg of Cholera Infantum; age 6 months. - Mary Catharine KEAFAUVER, youngest child of Charles M. and Lizzie KEAFAUVER, on the 30th last in Baltimore of Cholera Infantum; age 1 year, 28 days. - John L. STONE, on the 24th last, in this county; age 83y.6m.7d. - George W. DAVIS, suddenly at the Maryland Hospital in Baltimore on Monday morning, July 1st; age 38. - Mary R. SAPPINGTON, d/o Dr. Thomas and Teresa SAPPINGTON, on the 1st last in Baltimore; age 27. - Leonidas MOSER, on the 1st last, at the residence of his son; age 88. He was one of the oldest residents of Mechanicstown District.
- T.J. RIZELY, late of Cambridge, Dorchester County, MD, has determined to go west and, with a two-horse team containing his wife, two children and household effects, is on his way to Merrick Co, Nebraska. He hopes to average twenty miles a day and reach his destination May next.
website by Dorinda Davis Shepley