Winthrop Cemeteries

Search billions of records on

Winthrop Cemeteries

1769 Wyman Cemetery

On an elevated spur of ground extending to the "Great Pond," situated nearly opposite the place where recently Thomas H. White lived, once stood a log house supposed to have been the first home of Mr. Wyman. Not far distant, near the shore of the pond and nearly in the rear of the dwelling of Willis H. Mace, was a burial place in the early days. Many years ago the mounds were plainly visible and were marked at head and foot by field-stones. No record, no tradition of the origin of this burial place has come down to the present generation. Hannah Wyman died April 24th, 1769, and here undoubtely her father laid the remains to final rest on his own land to be followed in few years by others of his own family and by the bodies of deceased neighbors. ...

Mr. Benjamin added in a footnote that he visited this spot April 1897 and found that the graves were from four to six rods from the pond. "The ground is pasture, has never been ploughed annd place of six graves can be seen faintly". Stackpole's History of Winthrop 1925.

1770 Metcalf Cemetery

The second death recorded is that of Abigail, only child of Stephen Pullen, who died 22 February 1770. She was buried on the land of her father, and this was the first interment in what is now the Metcalf Cemetery.

The lot offered by Mr. Pullen in 1771 and accepted by the town, it will be remembered, was bounded on the south by the County Road. Several years prior to 1796 Mr. Pullen had sold from it two house lots adjoining the County Road and they were now occupied by dwellings. To secure the desired acre the boundry lines were moved towards the north and established as found at the present day. A considerable part of this lot is not available for burial purposes on account of ledge. The lot is known as the "Metcalf Cemetery", taking its name from Dea. Joseph Metcalf whose house lot adjoined. Stackpole's History of Winthrop 1925.

1771 Village Cemetery (Maple Cemetery)

The third person to die in Winthrop was Susannah, daughter of John Chandler, who departed 7 Jan. 1771. Her body was buried on the land of her father in what is now known as the "Village Cemetery".

The "Village Cemetery," sometimes called "Maple Cemetery," was all a part of Mr. Chandler's lot. It originally contained one acre, but it has been enlarged three times by subsequent purchases. Stackpole's History of Winthrop 1925.

Fairbanks Cemetery (Lake View Cemetery)

The "Fairbanks Cemetery" now sometimes called Lake View Cemetery, was purchased of Benjamin Fairbanks. It contained only half an acre and was the westerly part of the present cemetery.The consideration named in the deed is two dollars. The deed contains this singular reservation, "Reserving, however, the privilege of feeding forever said land with such cattle as will not hurt the same for a burial place." The town engaged to keep the place forever suitably fenced. A considerable part of this ground is useless for burials on account of ledge, and another portion is unfit by reason of excessive moisture. The cemetery has been enlarged twice. Stackpole's History of Winthrop 1925.

1809 Glenside Cemetery (Haskell Cemetery)

At a town meeting held 1 May 1809 it was voted "to accept of a lot of land given to the town by Mr. Josiah Bacon for the purpose of a Burying Ground on the conditons mentioned in hiis Deed." This is known as the Haskell Cemetery, the name now changng to Glenside Cemetery. It has been enlarged twice. Why not call it the Bacon Cemetery and so honor the original donor? Stackpole's History of Winthrop 1925.

1824 East Winthrop Cemetery

The land for the cemetery at East Winthrop was bought of William Richards, and he was the first one to be buried there, in 1824. Stackpole's History of Winthrop 1925.