This town is situated upon the west bank of the Kennebec River, and is the southern town in the Bingham Purchase. The town is hilly, but contains much good grazing land and some excellent farms. There are several large elevations in this town. Old Bluff reaches two-thirds across the town; Johnson Mountain rears its peak in the northern part of the town. South of Bluff is the largest interval in the Kennebec valley. It was upon this lot that the -first settler in the town located. Upon the early records of the town we find the following:
"The first settler in this town was Major Ephraim Heald, from Temple, New Hampshire, who came to this county soon after the Revolutionary War, for the privilege of hunt- ing the various kinds of game, which was then plenty in this town, such as moose, bear, beaver, otter, sable, muskrat, etc.
He settled on lots eight and nine, and carried on a considerable trade with the Indians, supplying them with necessary articles for hunting, such as powder, shot, blankets, cloth, traps, etc. He resided in this town a number of years, and then returned to Temple again, where he lived to a great age and was universally re- spected. He was a man of sound judg- ment, a noble mind, humane and just in all his dealings, and friendly to the poor; graceful in countenance, manly in personage, free in conversation and easy in communication."
There is a tradition that says three brothers by the name of Hale left England and came to Concord, Massachusetts. They agreed that each should spell his name differently, and thus see which branch would become most numerous and distinguished. The names were spelled Hale, Heald and Haile. We are un- able to say which has gained the victory.
Thomas Ball settled in the town in 1798. He married a daughter of Stephen Chamber- lain. Their children were Samuel, John, Ephraim, Thomas, Isaac, Daniel and Rachel.
Roger Chase was among the first to settle in this town; he was born in the town of Winslow, about 1755. Chase accompanied Arnold through to the Chaudiere, in the fall of 1775. The following fall he and John Noble were hunting together, when they were surprised by a party of Indians and taken prisoners by them. It was Sunday morning. Chase and Noble were eating their breakfast in their camp, which was upon the bank of Seven-mile Brook, near the site of the village of Anson. They were taken to Canada and delivered to the British. Chase made his escape and re- turned to his home.
Jothan Grant settled in the town about the beginning of the present century. Cornelius Jackson came about the same time. He married Betsy Warren of Vassalboro.
Cornelius Jackson made and used the first pair of wheels that were in town. Richard Warren moved to this town in 1832. He was in the battle of Bunker Hill. Stephen Chase married Polly Moore; their children were Stephen, Thomas, Tamara, Eleanor, Rachel, Lydia and Sarah. Joseph Moore, Jr., was born in this town. In 1823 be married Louisa Longley. The town of Concord was incorporated in 1821. Population at the present time is about five hundred.
Back to Bingham