Search this site

News & Events


March 2, 2016 Meeting and Computer Lab Sessions

read more


Paypal now accepted

read more


February Newsletter

read more

Urgent Needs

The Western Massachusetts Genealogical Society was founded in Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts in 1972, and officially incorporated on February 6, 1973. We are devoted to the research and documentation of our family ancestry and history. We also assist others in the pursuit of discovering their ancestry. 

Pic 3

We meet year-round on the first Wednesday of each month from 6:00 to 8:00 PM at the Agawam Senior Center, located at 954 Main Street in Agawam, Massachusetts.

We welcome non-members and beginning genealogists. Please join us!

We currently have about 100 active members, approximately 80% living in the Western Massachusetts area. The other 20% are residents of other states but with ancestry from Massachusetts or New England.

We receive numerous inquiries each month via U.S. & e-mail from people looking for information on area families. Our members are happy to volunteer to research these requests.

Springfield being the first town to be settled in May of 1635 in the "Pioneer Valley" as it's referred to gives us access to much data that we have housed in the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum. These are available for look-ups by using the mail-in system. A large number of published Genealogies, Family Histories and microfilms are at our disposal in the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum. We hope to start a on-line query system in the future. Like learning to walk,  you have to take small steps first.

Donations For Us

Pic 2

The Connecticut Valley Historical Society was originally a separate organization which held its meetings and kept its collections of “natural, civil, military, literary, ecclesiastical and genealogical materials” in the City Library building.

The Connecticut Valley Historical Museum is located at 21 Edwards Street. Springfield, MA 01103  |  1.800.625.7738. It is currently closed for reinstallation.

Search billions of records on