(Source: Nason, Elias, 1811-1887. A gazetteer of the state of Massachusetts : with numerous illustrations on wood and steel / by Elias Nason. -- Boston : B.B. Russell, 1874. -- p. 198-199)
is a farming-town, of a long and irregular shape, lying at the confluence of Miller's and Connecticut Rivers, in the easterly part of Franklin County, 92 miles north-west of Boston; and bounded on the north by Northfield, east by Warwick and Orange, south by Wendell and Montague (from which it is separated by Miller's River), and west by the last-named town and Gill. It was formerly called "Erving's Grant," and was incorporated as a town April 17, 1838. A part of Northfield, known as "Hack's Grant," was annexed to it Feb. 10, 1860. The number of inhabitants is 579; of dwelling-houses, 145; of farms, 42; and of acres in woodland, 2,983. The valuation of the town is $300,420; the rate of taxation, $1.93 per $100. It is finely watered by the beautiful river named above, together with Keyup Brook, a mill-stream which flows from a pond of 16 acres on the Northfield line, through fertile valleys, southerly into Miller's River; and Scott's Brook, an affluent of the same river, in the westerly part of the town. Miller's River is here a rapid stream, running circuitously through a narrow valley, flanked by rocky and wooded eminences on either side. Much of its motive-power is wasted. The otter still frequents its waters; and, in the wild eminences above, the wild-cat and the porcupine are still found. In a secluded ledge which rises almost perpendicularly, far up on the right bank of the river, there now lives a hermit, bearing the name of "John Smith," who calls his rocky habitation "The Erving Castle." He is a man of some intelligence, wears a long beard and Scotch cap, and receives his visitors with a kindly spirit. He spends his time in knitting stockings, picking berries, cutting wood, reading and writing and entertaining company. His age may be fifty years, three of which he has spent in "Erving Castle."
The land is excellent for the growth of timber and for grazing. Large numbers of railroad-ties and telegraph-poles are cut here, 1,495,000 having in one year been prepared for market. The town has seven saw-mills, two chair manufactories, one pail, one children's carriage, and one bit-brace manufactory. It has one post-office, a hotel called "The Erving House," a town-hall, a Post of the G. A. R., four school-districts, and one Congregational church, organized Sept. 19, 1832, of which the Rev. A. Stowell is pastor. Erving sent 58 soldiers to the late war, of whom 30 were lost. This town is reached by the Vermont and Massachusetts and the Vermont Central Railroads; and with its water-power, productive soil, beautiful scenery, healthful climate, and railroad facilities, seems well situated for future increase and prosperity.
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (in paper and on microfilm, LDS FHL microfilm number 0854301)|
|Part titles, etc.||Dates||LDS FHL|
|Births, marriages, and deaths||1844-1900||1888258|
|Holdings: LDS Family History Library (for LDS FHL microfilm numbers, see the table above)|