In 1623 Thomas Ford and his family lived in Dorchester, England and were members of Holy Trinity Church, whose rector was Reverend John White, who has been called the "Founder of Massachusetts". He was part of the original colony of Dorchester, Massachusetts. He became a freeman on October 19, 1630. This gave him the right to vote. Only church members could become freemen.
In 1637, Thomas was one of four men who purchased a large tract of land from Sachem Tehano, which now includes Windsor Locks, the northern third of Windsor and the southern part of Suffield, Connecticut. In this same year he was granted fifty acres in Simsbury, Connecticut.
In 1639/40, the court of Windsor agreed to give Thomas Ford more time to fence in his hog-park which was hindering the building of a bridge.
In 1644, Thomas removed to Hartford, Connecticut and ran an "Ordinary" (Tavern). It was located in the Scott house located on the southwest corner of State and Front Streets. He helped settle the estates of Elizabeth Denslow, Nicholas Denslow, and Reverend John Warham.Thomas removed to Northampton, Massachusetts before 1672, where he died on November 28, 1672.