Bruton Pension  Abstract

contributed by Brian Nilsson

Source:  Burns, Annie Walker.   South Carolina Pension Abstracts of the Revolutionary War, War of 1812, and Indian Wars.   Volume #12.  Washington, D.C.:  Annie Walker Burns.  1966.

Page 6:
The amended declaration of Major George Bruton of Wayne County, Kentucky states that he volunteered in the fall or winter of 1780 under Capt. George Roebuck under Col. Benjamin Roebuck, which met at the farm of Capt. George Roebuck.  He marched in the frontiers not far from Spartanburg, South Carolina - they continued ranging and guarding the frontiers from the time they first marched for the term of six months duty against the Indians and British and Tories.  They then returned home with the officers.  They met thinking it was necessary to give their discharges being minute men during the war.  In a few days after their return home, the British and Tories presuming or pressing hard in Georgia, the precise time not recollected when he marched and volunteered with others to go to the American army in Georgia and not far from them about 30 miles of Augusta, Georgia, he with others joined the company commanded by Byes Boykin and shortly afterwards they marched to the seige of Augusta, the British, Indians and Tories there in possession; they fought under General Clark, almost a continued skirmish and fighting for 4 weeks and at that time they entrenched up near the walls and British, Indians and Tories, commanded by Col. Brown, surrendered   and were guarded by them for sometime and the prisoners were sent to Savannah as he was informed.  He was then discharged by his captain Lyar Boykin at Augusta, having served in this tour seven months and had a written discharge from Capt. Boykin but has lost it.  The tour of Ninety-Six, South Carolina, being besieged at this time, by the Americans, another company was formed under Capt. John Antery at Augusta, and he immediate - Ninety-Six, but before they got there, the British received large reinforcements from Charleston and the Americans had to retreat and they marched to the frontiers in the upper part of Georgia, ranging after the Tories and Indians having served 4 weeks in the tour of Capt. Autery, no great danger pressing in this ÷? quarter, they were discharged by their Capt. Antery, having actually served 4 weeks.  He then marched or went back to South Carolina and joined his former captain George Roebuck and he thinks in the fall of the year 1781 killing many, stealing and destroying property in the frontiers.  He again volunteered and marched under Col. Henry Wood with about 200 under him with their horses and provisions, he, the said Wood commanded as Colonel and captain and they marched to the Cherokee towns on the Saluda mountains and Eastern river, and had several engagements with the Indians and took about 60 prisoners and they were kept more than of them until the close of the war, having successfully performed their services in this expedition.  He returned to his former company commanded by Capt. George Roebuck, having actually served in the expedition a tour of one month there until the termination of the war.  He served under Capt. Roebuck as a ranger and keeping Blockhouse on the frontiers of South CarState of Kentucky; Wayne County 1832 Sept. 25th, personally appeared the above named soldier age 70 on the 5th June 1832 and states that he entered service, that he volunteered in Spartinsburg, South Carolina 1780, just after the battle of Kings Mountain, and states that he was born in Spartinsburg South Carolina, where he lived until he was about age 30, he then moved to Madison County Kentucky, where he lived about 6 years, then moved to Wayne County, KY, where he now lives for over 30 years.