wagonbridge

Old Wagon Bridge


Information comes from material and newspaper articles at the Campbell County Historical & Genealogical Society in Alexandria.  Also, The Kentucky Post, October 21, 2001, page 2K

 

The original Old Wagon Bridge was built in 1919 over four sets of railroad tracks and connected South Newport with West Newport.  It connected 13th Street and Grandview to 12th Street and Patterson.  It was closed in 1984 after the state determined it to be unsafe.  It was demolished in 1987 and rebuilt as the Berning-Jordan Bridge.

The bridge was named in honor of Lt. Cpl. Thomas J Berning and PFC Gary Stephen Jordan.  Both young men were U.S. Marines killed in action in Vietnam and both had attended Newport Catholic High School.

 

Return to Bridges Index