First Church of the Nazarene

830 York Street-Newport

Information comes from the church files at the Campbell County Historical & Genealogical Society in Alexandria



In 1904 the First Holiness work in Newport met in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Blott and organized into the Apostolic Holiness Church and met at 210 W Seventh St. This group joined the Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene with 18 charter members and became The First Church of the Nazarene of Newport 31 Mar 1909 with Rev R D Biven as the first minister.

A tabernacle was erected at 327 W 6th on 2 Mar 1910 and was dedicated by Gen Supt H F Reynolds. On 11 Sep 1911 the church ws incorporated in the state of Kentucky.  From 1913 to 1923 the church resided at 210 W 7 St. In 1925 the tabernacle was enlarged and during construction the congregation worshiped in the auditorium above the public library at 4t and Monmouth.

In 1926 Rev W E Albea came to pastor and a brick structure replaced frame at 7 & Putnam. Sunday school teachers were Ola (Foster) Tucker, Elizabeth Tolson, and Rebecca Tolson. J M Wilson was supt.  Rev R L Ihrig pastured for 20 years beginning in 1934. The present property at 830 York St was purchased and a church constructed during his ministry. This was dedicated 28 May 1950.

1954-1959-Rev Asa Sparks
1959-1961 Rev Jack Lee

1867-1968 Rev John W May
1968-1971 Rev Jack Stone
1971-1973 Rev Jay Bybee
1973-1975 Dr. John W May
1975-1978 Rev Carl Pratt
1978-1892 Rev Dan Kunselman
1982-1984 Dr. Donald V Peal

1984-1990 Rev Dan Jackson

1990- Rev David Maxwell


Return to Churches Index