John and Susan
History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 7th ed., 1887,
John Todd was born in Delaware, June 21, 1835, and when but two years of age settled with his parents, Solomon and Mary Ann (Holden) Todd, in Campbell County, Ky. Solomon Todd and his wife emigrated from England to Delaware in 1829; the former was a cotton manufacturer.
When twelve years of age John Todd went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he attended school five years. He then learned the machinist's trade, at which he worked about three years, after which he engaged as engineer on the Mississippi River, in which occupation he was employed about ten years. In 1862 he returned to Alexandria, Campbell County, where he opened a general store, and has since been engaged. He owns a farm of 100 acres which he conducts in connection with his store.
August 7, 1860, he married Maria Shaw, daughter of David Shaw, of Campbell County, and five children blessed their union, only three of whom are living: Clara, who married J. J. Youtsey, of Alexandria, and has one child, Claude; Solomon and John.
Mr. Todd and his wife
are members of the Baptist Church. He is a member of the Masonic
fraternity, and is a Democrat in politics. In June 1886, Mr. Todd was
appointed postmaster of Alexandria, which office he still holds.
Additional information comes from the Campbell County Historical & Genealogical Society in Alexandria
Records show that Solomon Todd (b-1809 in England) married Mary Ann Holden 22 Feb 1830 in Bolton Le Moors, Lancashire, England. The above information concerning the immigration date must not be correct. Mary Ann Todd died before 1860 but not known at this time whether in Campbell Co or Hamilton Co Oh. He married second Henrietta (b-1823 in Ohio) in Hamilton Co. Solomon died in Alexandria between 1860 and 1870.
Children of Solomon Todd and Mary Ann Holden
1. Jane Todd b-1830 in
Rhode Island; d-26 June 1914 in Alexandria; br-Alexandria; m-Burns
2. John Todd b-21 June 1835 in Delaware; d-29 May 1923 in Alexandria; m-Susan Maria Shaw 7 Aug 1860 in Alexandria
3. Margaret Todd b-1838 in Alexandria
4. Mary Ann Todd b-1840 in Alexandria
5. Addie Viola Todd b-25 Oct 1855 in Cincinnati; d-23 Nov 1944 in Dayton; br-Spring Grove; m-Thomas H Smith
Child of Solomon Todd and Henrietta
1. William Todd b-1858
Susan Maria Shaw was born 26 Aug 1839 in Alexandria, the daughter of David Shaw and Sarah White. She died 12 June 1925 in Newport and was buried the Alexandria Cemetery. John Todd died 29 May 1923 and was also buried in the Alexandria Cemetery.
Children of John Todd and Susan Maria Shaw
1. Clara Todd b-26 May 1861 in Alexandria; d-13 Apr 1929 in
Newport; br-Alexandria; m-Dr. James John Youtsey (1855-1921) 24 Dec 1880 in
2. Solomon Todd b-20 Aug 1864 in Alexandria; d-2 Dec 1900; br-Alexandria
3. John Todd b-27 Apr 1877 in Alexandria; d-21 Oct 1941 in Newport; br-Evergreen; m-Jessie Ware
Anniversary 1920 Kentucky Times Star Article
Children of Clara Todd and James John Youtsey
1. Claude Youtsey b-28 Sep 1881 in Alexandria; d-5 Mar 1943 in
Newport; br-Evergreen; m-Lillian Rawlins
2. Carl F Youtsey b-1884 in Alexandria; d-1886 in Alexandria; br-Alexandria
3. Solomon Youtsey b-11 Feb 1889 in Alexandria; 5 Apr 1963; m-Edith
2. Walter C Youtsey b-1 July 1895 in Newport; d-1 July 1902 in Newport; br-Alexandria
Return to Families T Index