Ft

Ft. Thomas Schools
 

Information comes from the Campbell County Historical Society
 

Ft. Thomas Public Schools began in a log building near Inverness in the northern section of the city.  At the time this school began, the entire area was known as the Highlands District and the school was called Mount Pleasant School.

Later Mount Vernon School was started on Highland Avenue near Newman Avenue.  Another school was Union School constructed near St. Stephens Cemetery.  By 1867-1872 a district of Highlands common or free schools came into being.  Schools closed and combined into larger schools to better serve the district.  In 1884, the state allowed the trustees to issue bonds "not to exceed $8000".  The bonds were sold and the first large school building was constructed.  Central School was completed in 1885.  The smaller schools were closed and a grade and high school program began.  By 1894 two additional schools were built, one on Grant Street and the near Inverness.  By 1907 Central School was enlarged.

Central School 1896 Students and 1885-1920 Principals

In 1911 Grant Street School was closed and a building was constructed on the site where Woodfill School now stands.  In 1915 South Wing High School opened.  In 1937 a north wing was added.  The school burned down in 1962.  In 1916 Mt. Pleasant School combined with the Central School.  Johnson Elementary School opened in 1923; Woodfill Elementary on Alexandria Pike; Ruth Moyer Elementary was built in 1931.

In 1866 land was purchased by the Sisters of Good Shepherd for a school to be known as Our Lady of Highlands. First a frame building was constructed, later a large stone building that operated for nearly 100 years, only to be closed and torn down in the 1990s.

In 1903 St. Thomas Church Elementary School opened in a church building on Grand Avenue.  Later it moved to Ft. Thomas Avenue.  A school was built in 1920 with additions in 1925 and 1961.  Father McCrystal of the St. Catherine of Siena Church started a school in 1948 and built a building in 1950.
 

Return to Ft. Thomas Index