Fort Thomas Fire Department
In 1906 a volunteer fire department was started in the district of the Highlands. 1914 saw the start of Ft. Thomas as a city. At that time Louis Cook had been police chief and he had also picked up the duties of fire chief. In the early days of the fire service and the city, this was a working system by necessity. Eventually both departments grew and the duties of each made public safety a two fold effort into the late twenties.
The late twenties had seen the improvements in manufacturing of equipment. Where the first fire fighters used a hose wagon pulled by horses, in 1929 Ft. Thomas purchased a 1929 Ahrens Fox piston pumper. It was the department's first motorized equipment.
The compressed air supply for all departments
in the county is housed and maintained by the Ft. Thomas Department. Fire
Return to Ft. Thomas Index