First 12 Mile Baptist Church
3288 Oneonta Road in Carthage
The First 12 Mile Baptist Church was founded 17 Dec 1799 in Carthage. The church was built on an island surrounded by the 12 Mile Creek. After several floods, it washed most of the church and the cemetery away. Many headstones were washed into the creek beds. This second First 12 Mile Baptist Church was built in 1836 on a higher hill close to the old site.
Photo of remaining foundation of the original First 12 Mile Baptist Church
Picture taken 24 Oct 2011
Return to Churches Index