Kentucky African American Griots

Main |  Kentucky Data  |  Family Records   |  Photos   |  Slave Records  Tombstone Project  Vital Records   |  Surname Registry 

Look Ups!  | Acknowledgements  Queries  | Discussion Forum   |  Submissions  |  Publications  |  Site Search Contact Us



County Collections

Adair  Allen Anderson  Ballard  Barren  Bath  Bell  Boone  Bourbon  Boyd  Boyle  Bracken  Breathitt Breckinridge  Bullitt  Butler Caldwell  Calloway   Campbell Carlisle Carroll Carter  Casey  Christian   Clark  Clay  Clinton Crittenden Cumberland Daviess  Edmonson Elliott   Estill  Fayette Fleming  Floyd  Franklin  Fulton  Gallatin   Garrard  Grant  Graves  Grayson  Green  Greenup  Hancock  Hardin  Harlan  Harrison  Hart  Henderson  Henry  Hickman  Hopkins  Jackson  Jefferson  Jessamine  Johnson  Kenton  Knott  Knox

LaRue  Laurel Lawrence  Lee  Leslie  Letcher  Lewis  Lincoln  Livingston  Logan  Lyon  Madison Magoffin  Marion  Marshall  Martin  Mason  McCracken McCreary  Mclean Meade Menifee Mercer  Metcalfe  Monroe  Montgomery  Morgan  Muhlenberg  Nelson  Nicholas  Ohio  Oldham  Owen  Owsley  Pendleton  Perry  Pike   Powell  Pulaski  Robertson Rockcastle  Rowan  Russell  Scott  Shelby Simpson  Spencer  Taylor  Todd  Trigg  Trimble  Union  Warren  Washington  Wayne  Webster  Whitley  Wolfe Woodford



Monroe County African American Schools


Courtesy Barren’s Black Roots, Volume 3, Michelle Gorin Burris, Gorin Genealogical Publishing (c) May 1993.


Although the quality of these pictures are poor we felt that even a glimpse of these schools was better than none at all.


 Tooley’s Ridge School



Discontinued in the year 1936. This school was located on the ridge between Meshack Creek and the Tompkinsville-Centerpoint highway,  No homes are now located in this area.


 Forkton School




School was discontinued about 1940. It was located in the Forkton community, building later torn down by the County School Board and moved to a section of the county northwest of Rock Birdge, later known as the Bowman School.


Fountain Run School



Erected in 1913 at the edge of Fountain Run, enrollment in its last year was 23. Mrs. C. H. Crawford was the teacher.


Bethlehem School




Bethlehem: Erected in 1928, discontinued in 1940.






Copyright © 2004 - 2010 C. Harvey