Kansas History and Heritage Project--Trego County Obituaries

Trego County Obituaries

Obituaries published after 1923 will be abstracted to avoid copyright infringement

Miss Allway, of the Saline, died Tuesday, of consumption, after an illness of twenty years, aged 34 years. She was a member of the Congregational church. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Richard at the Collier church this afternoon, and the remains were interred in the Collyer cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Dec. 22, 1888)

On last Saturday morning the Angel of Death visited the home of T. T. Armstrong and took away happy, singing little Katie. She had been lingering or two weeks with that dread disease diphtheria. Katie was the pet and favorite of the friends and neighbors. Her favorite song "God be with you 'till we meet again" was sang at the funeral services. Rev. Maxson, of Wa-Keeney, preached the funeral sermon at the house on Sabbath morning. The remains were interred at the Collyer cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Aug. 8, 1891)

Died In Wa-Keeney, Kan., Feb. 6, of scarlet fever, Mable Avery, aged 16 years, 2 months, and 18 days. The news of Miss Mable's death was a terrible shock to all who heard of it last Sunday morning. She was taken ill last Thursday afternoon, and by Sunday she had passed away to the other shore, where there is no more parting. Although she had been in our town but a short time, her sweet disposition and winning ways made her an unusual number of friends. Card of Thanks -- We wish to tender or thanks to the kind citizens of Wa-Keeney, and especially to Mr. and Mrs. James Sharp, for their kind assistance in our bereavement and burial of our beloved daughter, Mabel. -- J. H. Avery; S. A. Avery.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, Feb. 12, 1887)

Died. At the family residence, in Quinter, Gove county, at 6 o'clock Saturday evening. May 1, 1886, Lizzie Baby Baker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Baker, aged 2 years, 6 months and 25 days. The child was attacked first by measles. These were followed by a complication of diseases which resulted in the death of a very lovable and beloved child. The remains of the gentle one were brought to Wa-Keeney by Monday morning's fast train, that train, contrary to its custom, halting long enough to be boarded by twenty-five persons who formed the escort. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 8, 1886)

Mrs. Joseph Baker, of this place, died yesterday, at about 2 o'clock p.m., surrounded by loving relatives and friends. It had been hoped for some weeks that her recovery would be realised. Blood poison seems to have been her chief disease of late. The remains will be buried to-morrow (Sunday) in the Wa-Keeney cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Nov. 6, 1886)

The little son of Joseph E. Baker, of this city, died at Quinter last Saturday morning, aged 9 mos. and 17 days. The child had had dysentery, which was followed by brain fever. Funeral services were held at Quinter Saturday evening, and the burial took place in the Wa-Keeney cemetery Sunday forenoon. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Mrs. Bannard, wife of Dr. W. C. Bannard, died last evening, at about 6:35, of consumption, at the residence of Dr. Conger. The funeral will be preached tomorrow (Sabbath) at 2 o'clock p.m., at Dr. Conger's residence. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Apr. 20, 1889)

Mrs. Bollman, wife of C. B. Bollman, died at her home, three miles north of Wa-Keeney, Thursday night. The funeral sermon was preached at the family residence on Friday, at 10 o'clock, and the remains were buried on the same day in the Wa-Keeney cemetery. Mrs. Bollman, we understand, was about sixty years of age. She was the mother of Mr. A. M. Stephenson, of this place. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 30, 1887)

Mr. C. Bollman died Wednesday morning at his home three and a half miles north of this place, in his 71st year. The day before his death he sank into unconsciousness, and seemed to die free from pain. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Mahaffiie at the residence on Thursday, at 10 o'clock. The burial took place on the same day in the Wa-Keeney cemetery.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, Aug. 13, 1887)

The funeral of George Brown, only child of Mrs. W. L. Brown (colored,) occurred last Saturday afternoon at the school house, the body first being laid to rest on the hillside east of the Catholic grounds, with brief, appropriate services. Rev. J. C. Elliott officiated. Mr. Brown was taken sick at some place east of Russell, and reached home on the Tuesday previous to his death. He refused to take medicine, saying it was no use, as he was going to die. He was quite delirious, and on Friday noon his disease, typhoid malaria, proved fatal. The esteem in which Mr. and Mrs. W. L. Brown are held in this community was shown by the number at the funeral, notwithstanding many did not know of their sorrow until they reached town Saturday afternoon. The sorrowing ones have the sympathy of all our people. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Oct. 9, 1886)

Died, Dec. 17, 1888, the 10-year-old daughter of G. W. and Marah Brown, late of Wa-Keeney, Kansas, at the home of her parents, four miles east of Jericho, Cedar county, Mo. Little Mabel was a bright and obedient little girl. Her death falls heavily upon her bereaved parents. She was the only daughter, but tho good Lord called for her, and after four weeks of suffering, which she bore with patience, she passed quietly into the spirit land. Mabel was a sweet girl. One had only to know her to love her. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 5, 1889)

Maria Ann Brown was born April 14, 1853; died April 16, 1887, aged 34 years and 2 days. She embraced religion in the fall of 1876. She died in tbe triumph of faith. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. S. M. Lee, of Nicodemus, Pastor of the second Baptist church of Wa-Keeney. Text: Isaiah 88th chapter 1st verse: "Set thine House in order, for thou shalt die, and not live." She leaves a husband and nine children to morn her loss. May more take warning and set their houses in order! S. M. Lee. The deceased was the wife of our fellow-townsman, Geo. D. Brown. The World extends to him and his family its sincerest sympathy. A home without a mother is lonely unto wretchedness. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, April 23, 1887)

C. Ray Bryant, son of Mr. and Mrs. E. F. Bryant, who live six miles south of of Wa-Keeney, died on Thursday of scarlet fever. Little Ray was four years old the 8 of last October. His death was a great shock to his parents. He did not seem to be out of health until last Monday afternoon, when he gave slight evidences in that direction. He was not prostrated until Tuesday morning. The remains were buried yesterday in the Wa-Keeney cemetery.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, April 9, 1887)

The many friends of Mrs. Buffington, formerly of Ogallah, regret to hear of her death at Hill City Dec. 30th. She died of pneumonia after an illness of twelve days. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 23, 1892)

Died J. W. Burns at 4 o'clock a. m. yesterday, in Wa-Keeney. Mr. Burns was born at London, England, and would have been 45 years old April 10th. He leaves a wife and six children to mourn his death. His remains will be interred in the Collyer cemetery. At time of going to press the hour is not known. Mr. Burns was one of the first to enlist in the service of his country, he being then engaged on public works in Washington, D. C. When the president made his first call he was one of the first to respond. Old army troubles have hung to him, finally culminating in death. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 25, 1890)

Clarence Caddick died at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Caddick, in this city, Tuesday morning last, at 7 o'clock. Clarence was seventeen years old last Saturday. He showed no marked signs of being unwell until last Saturday. From that time he did not get out of the bouse. His malady was scarlet fever. His burial took place in the city cemetery Tuesday afternoon. Mr. and Mrs. Caddick are among the oldest and most respected of our citizens. In the loss of their only son, who was a little boy when the family came here, they have the sympathy of the entire community. The family tender their sincerest thanks to the friends who so kindly ministered to their wants in the sad hours of affliction. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Mar. 12, 1887)

The hour of release from suffering seemed very near when the watchers left the bedside of David G. Carleton yesterday morning, and the Death Angel's visit was momentarily expected. For three years or more Mrs. Carleton has kindly cared for her husband, during day and night, very seldom leaving him alone or to the entire care of others, and then only when duty compelled. Most faithfully has she served her country in performing both the indoor and outdoor labors necessary to continue the home for her veteran husband, and no more truly did he face death on the field of battle than she alone in her prairie home, with a delirious husband, who has frequently threatened her life, and the nearest human being three-fourths of a mile away. Only those who know how disappointed Mrs. C. was when she first looked upon her prairie home, devoid necessarily of the comforts of civilization, can realize the depth of the heroism she has since displayed. Few men could have endured what she has, even for one year, and when we think of the trials of the three which have passed, only a wife's love and a Christian's faith can account for the strength by which she has been upheld. For a month or more Grand Army men of Collyer and Buffalo Park, with other friends, have nightly assisted in watching at Mr. Carleton's bedside, and the fraternal feeling of his comrades has found expression in many ways. Later. Mr. Carleton died Tuesday, at 8 p. m. Funeral services occur to-day, Thursday, at 11 a. m., and the remains will be interred in Collyer cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Aug. 27, 1887)

Miss Zella Carson, only daughter of Captain and Mrs. J. Word Carson, died at the family residence Thursday after noon at 5 o'clock of dysentery. Miss Carson was aged 18 years, 2 months and 14 days. The funeral sermon was preach ed yesterday, at 7 p. m., by Rev. Mr. Mahaffie, at the M. E. church. The remains were buried yesterday at sundown in the city cemetery. Miss Carson was highly esteemed by a large circle of friends. Her parents and brothers have the sympathy of a community who have been agitated profoundly by the carnage which the prevailing epidemic is working. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Sunday morning, at 1 o'clock, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Cobine, of this city, died at the family residence. She was about three years old. A complication of diseases, one of which was dysentery, constituted the fatal agency. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Mahaffie at the M E. church at 4 p. m. on Sunday, and the burial took place at the cemetery the same afternoon. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 30, 1887)

Miss Joanna Cooper died of consumption at the home of her mother, near Ogallah, Wednesday morning, at 7:20. She was, 19 years of age. The remains were buried in the Wa-Keeney cemetery Thursday forenoon.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, Aug. 6, 1887)

Mrs. Sarah Crosby died at about 11 o'clock Thursday forenoon at the residence of her son, Geo. T. Galloway, in the Saline valley. Mrs. Crosby had been ill several days. We are not advised as to the nature of her ailment. She was about 67 years of age. She had made her home with her son for about eight years. Mrs. Crosby had bees a member of the M. R church for about fifty years. Bsr.M. S. McCoy preached the funeral sermon at the Galloway residence yesterday forenoon, at 10 o'clock. A large procession accompanied the remains to the Wa-Keeney cemetery, where the burial took place yesterday, at about 1 o'clock. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Aug. 3, 1889)

We are sorry to hear that since Theo. Cruson and wife reached Mich, they have had the misfortune to lose their infant daughter, a bright child of about eight months old. (Western Kansas World, Mar. 5, 1892)

Mr. Horace Fisher, father of Mrs. A. L. Gleason, died at the Gleason residence last Sunday, aged 80 years, 2 months and 18 days. Mr. Fisher had lived in this city with Mr. Gleason's family for some five or six years, having come with them from Colorado. His illness was the mere decay of old age. The funeral sermon was preached at the family lesidence Monday forenoon by Eev. Mr. Walker, following which the burial took place in the city cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Mrs. Jacob Furbeck died at her residence on the evening of the 19th inst, tbe effect of a third paralytic stroke. The body will be interred in the Ellis cemetery Thursday evening, The procession will start from the house between 11 a. m. and 12 o'clock. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 23, 1892)

Died At her home, in this city, Tuesday morning, November 24, 1885, of tonsilitis, Miss Nora Gleason, in the 16th year of her age. Nora was born in Kiowa, Douglass county, (now Elbert,) Colorado, in March, 1870. She came, with her parents, to Wa-Keeney in November, 1881, and had resided here ever since. This climate was unfavorable to her health during the winter seasons. Her heart had been weak, refusing at times to perform its functions in a healthy manner. Follow ing her attack of tonsilitis, which dated back some two weeks, putrid sore throat played a part in the destruction of her life, this disease moving downward from where it had started. It could be truly said of Nora that she was loved by all who knew her. She was a favorite at school, as well as among her acquaintances everywhere. Not only was she possessed of a cheerful disposition, but her mind was bright and active. Her funeral was preached at the family residence Thursday, at 1 o'clock p. m., by Rev. Mr. Stayt. The funeral was attended by, it almost seemed, everybody in town. Rain was falling when the procession started to the cemetery, but the number who witnessed the burial ceremonies was large. Mr. and Mrs. Gleason wish to thank our people for the kindness which has been so general. In a voice husky with emotion, Mr. Gleason said to the writer: "We feel that people here have done every thing that friends could do. I don't know just the best way to express it." We answered: "Mr. Gleason, there is no better way in which to give expression to your feelings. Your friends and neighbors can not possibly misunderstand language like this." There is not to-day a family in WaKeeney, wherein Nora Gleason was known, who are not the sadder for her loss; and they sympathize deeply with the parents and brothers who are called upon to bear a loss which, at some points of the journey, seems unbearable. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Nov. 28, 1885)

The remains of Mrs. Enos Glick wore laid to rest in the Ellis cemetery last Wednesday. It was intended to bury her at Wa-Keeney, but owing to the condition of the roads its was impossible to get to that place. -- Ellis Review, January 29.
We regret not having received the full particulars of the death of Mrs. Glick. We had not the pleasure of a personal acquaintance with her, but have heard her spoken of only in the highest terms. We believe that the disease which carried her off was cancer of the breast. At all events, she had long been a sufferer from that disease. With her husband, Mr. Enos Glick, we have been acquainted almost seven years. He was county commissioner from in 1879 until in January, 1881, for the district comprising the east one-third of the territory of Trego county. He lives now where he lived then. As an officer and a citizen, his character has been above reproach. He has the sympathy of the World in the dire calamity which has now overtaken him in the loss of his truest companion. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Feb.6, 1886)

Died At the residence of J. B. Hogan, in Wa-Keeney, June 3, 1888, at 2 o'clock p. m., of consumption, Robert F. Graff, aged 20 years, 1 month and 10 days. The funeral sermon was preached on Monday by Bev. W. H. Mahaffie, following which the burial took place in the city cemetery at 2 o'clock p. m. The WaKeeney Cornet Band, with whose members the deceased had been a favorite, attended the funeral and the burial, making "Sweet Bye and Bye" and other airs sound much as though they came from the Vale of Enchantment Mr. Graff had for nearly two years been in the employ of J. B. Hogan in his land office. Before coming here, he was employed in the Chicago office of Close Bros. & Co., and was sent here in the hope of his health being benefited. He was an amiable, courteous, dignified gentlemen; and none who knew him can fail to regret his untimely taking off. Mr. Hogan desires to extend thanks to those of our people who showed in so many ways their kindness upon the occasion of the death of Robert F. Graff. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, June 9, 1888)

Obituary: Frances Catherine Griffith, daughter of Francis and Elizabeth Overstreet Smee, was born in Rooks County, Kansas, February 15, 1888, and passed away March 20, 1968 at the age of 80 years, 1 month and 5 days. Her parents homesteaded in Graham County while she was still in her infancy. They were part of the early history of the Prairie Home Community and of the Prairie Home Methodist Church which she joined in her girlhood. She was united in Marriage to Jason Griffith, November 13, 1907, at Hill City, Kansas, and to this union three children were born. The family had made their home at WaKeeney since September 1923 and she had been a member of the WaKeeney Methodist Church since October, 1933. She was preceded in death by her parents; her two brothers, George and Paul Smee; and by her son, Jason Herbert Griffith, who died in 1961. She is survived by her husband, Jason, of the home; two daughters, Mrs William(Thelma) Keady, and Mrs. Georgia Kenyon, both of Dighton, Kansas; a sister, Mrs. Isabelle Booker of Augusta, Kansas: seven grandchildren; Gene Keady, Wichita; Mrs. Russell(Janeice) Webster, Scott City; Mrs. Ray (Christie) Jones, Palco; and Rebecca, Jason, Mary and Scott Kenyon, all of Dighton. She is also survived by four great grandchildren and many other relatives and friends. Funeral services were held at 2:00 P.M., Friday, March 22, at Hendricks Chapel, with the Rev. Leslie E Andrews, pastor of the WaKeeney and Prairie Home Methodist Churches, officiating. Burial was in the WaKeeney Cemetery. (Submitted by Janeice Crosson)

Obituary: Jason Griffith, son of John and Rosalie Griffith, was born in Linn County, Kansas, November 30, 1883, and passed away June 5, 1973, at the age of 89 years, 8 months and 5 days. He moved to Graham County in 1906 and made his home in the Prairie Home community. He was married to Frances Catherine Smee November 13, 1907. To this union three children were born: Thelma Frances Keady, Jason Herbert and Georgia May Kenyon. Mr Griffith had operated his produce business in WaKeeney for the past 48 years. Mr Griffith is survived by his two daughters: Thelma and Georgia and one daughter-in-law Ruth: three grandsons: Eugene Keady, Jason Kenyon and Scott Kenyon; four granddaughters: Janeice Keady Webster, Christie Griffith Jones, Rebecca Kenyon Longbottom, and Mary Margaret Kenyon; six great grandchildren. Three brothers: Fred, Oran and J.L. of the Prairie Home community, one sister Josie Mort of California, other relatives and friends. He was preceded in death by his parents, one son, Herbert, who died in 1961, and by his wife in 1968. Services were held Friday morning, June 8, at 10:00 A.M. at Hendricks Chapel. Burial was in the WaKeeney Cemetery. (Submitted by Janeice Crosson)

Mrs. Joshua Groft died at her home, in this city, yesterday morning, at 9 o'clock, of typho-malarial fever. She had been prostrated for twenty-six days. A child a girl about sixteen months old is left to the father. The remains of Mrs. Groft will be buried in the city cemetery at 2 o'clock to-day. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Oct. 9, 1886)

The funeral services of Richard Hollister, youngest son of M. D. and Ella Hollister, who died on the first, were held at the Presbyterian church last Sunday afternoon, at 2 o'clock. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. W. B. Brown. A large procession accompanied the remains to the cemetery. Richard was 5 years, 7 months and 12 days old. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Mar. 10, 1888)

Death has entered the family of John Nelson, living 3 miles north of Ogallah. His three children died after an illness of 24 hours. The suddenness of the deaths has cast a gloom over this community, as two of the children had been going to school up to last Wednesday, in apparent good health. There are various opinions as to the cause. The supposi tion is that death was caused by malarial poison getting into the system. The neighbors did all in their power to assist the family, and feel deeply for the parents in their great sorrow. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 12, 1889)

Died, Saturday afternoon, July 9, of dysentery, at the residence of her parents, ten miles southeast of Wa-Keeney, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, aged about 5 years. The remains were buried on the Johnson place on Sunday.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Herbert Jones died March 29, at the age of 19. He was the second son of Captain and Mrs. Lewis Jones, of Banner. He was a good boy and well liked by all.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, Apr. 7, 1894)

Our friend, John Kaudelky, living north of town, has received from a relative in Patterson, N. J., the sad news of the death of his father, Charles Kandelky, in that city on the 6 instant, aged 69 years. He was out here on a visit in the spring of 1884. John has our sympathy in his bereavement. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Dec. 22, 1888)

Died, on the 1st day of August, Maggie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kaudelky, aged one year and six months. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Aug. 11, 1888)

James Kelly, jr., died at the residence of his parents, in this city, Thursday morning at 4:15. Next week, we shall notice the sad event fully, publishing the resolutions of the K. of. L. Order respecting the loss of a valued member. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 29, 1886)

Died On Monday, November 23, 1885, of scarlet fever, Otto Arthur Kerns, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Kerns, aged 4 years, 11 months and 11 days. Little Arthur was sick three weeks; He was a bright child, whose loss has almost crushed the hearts of his loving parents. His funeral sermon was preached at the church on Tuesday, the body being kept at the residence. The remains were interred in the city cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Nov. 28, 1885)

Miss Jennie Kinsey died last Friday, June 3, at the home of Rev. Stocking, at Gove City. Her remains were brought to Ogallah on the 2:30 train last Saturday. A large number of friends and relatives were at the train to meet the remains of the departed. On the next day, Sunday, the funeral services were preached by Rev. Miles Knapp, after Which the body was placed at rest in the cemetery, three quarters of a mile north of Ogallah. Miss Kinsey was sixteen years old, and leaves many friends to mourn her loss.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, June 11, 1887)

Died On December 10, 1885, at the residence of J. W. Wilkin, one mile south of Wa-Keeney, Harry Lemon, son of F. W. Lemon, aged about 10 years. Harry had for some time been suffering with tonsilitis. A short time prior to his death, his condition was supposed to be improving. Finally his heart ceased to do its work. The funeral services were held at the Presbyterian church at 3 o'clock yesterday, the 11th. The remains were then interred in the Wa-Keeney cemetery. To a sorrowing father, we extend our profound sympathy. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Dec. 12, 1885)

Died, on the 7th inst., the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Lofthouse, aged 2 years and 6 months. The remains were buried in the Ogallah cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 14, 1888)

Everyone was surprised and shocked when told of the death of Frank Lord, son of A. C. Lord, which occurred on Sunday morning, at ten o'clock, at his parents' residence, three miles northwest of town. Frank was in town on Friday, but was ill then; dysentery set in, and ere Sunday noon the last hour of his life was numbered, and for him time was no more. The funeral occurred Monday afternoon, the remains being followed to Collyer cemetery by many of the friends of the family. The deceased was nearly ?? of age, and gave promise of a long life To his family and friends is extended deep sympathy from all their acquaintances. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Died. May 11, at the residence of W. A Tichenor, five miles southwest of Wa-Keeney, Miss Louie McDonald, 19 years of age, this being her birthday. The disease which carried her off was scarlet fever. Miss McDonald was attacked by the fever one week ago last Monday. She was the step-daughter of Mr. Tichenor and the daughter of his wife, Mrs. Nancy J. Tichenor. The remains were buried on Thursday in the Wa-Keeney cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Tichenor hereby return thanks to their neighbors who have been so kind to them in their great affliction. Plymouth, Ind., papers please copy. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 14, 1887)

The Monster, Death, has been in our vicinity, and taken from our midst Thomas H., son of Mr. and Mrs. McMichael. He died, after a brief illness, on the morning of the 9th. There were no funeral services held on account of no minister being present. There were singing by the neighbors and prayer by D. F. Douglas. Services will be held some time in the future when convenient. The age of the deseased was 2 years, 9 mos. and 1 day. Thomas H. was a bright child, and much thought of by all who knew him, and especially by his parents, who will deeply morn his loss, for the place which he occupied is vacant. But such is life. To-day it is in full bloom, to-morrow it will be cut down, and is no more; but he shall come forth in the morning of the glorious resurrection in full bloom again. Interment at Wa-Keeney cemetery on the 10th. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

At her home, ten miles southwest of Wa-Keeney, on May 17, 1886, of consumption, L. A., wife of Parry McQuaid, aged 31 years, 9 months and 23 days. Mrs. McQuaid leaves three children, two girls and one boy the latter about 22 months old. With her husband, Mrs. McQuaid had braved, since March, 1879, the hardships of pioneer life, making her taking off on at this time more than ordinarily sad. Her remains were buried on Tuesday in the Olmsted-Mort cemetery, in the southern part of Graham county, in which neighborhood the family lived for several years. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 22, 1886)

At 11 o'clock Saturday night, Oct. 30, Robert J. Michael died at the residence of Chas. Johnson, just north of WaKeeney. His ailment was hemorrhage of the lungs, a disease to which he had been subject for many years. His age was 14 years. The remains were buried in the WaKeeney cemetery last Sunday. Robert was the son of A. J. Michael of ---- county, Nebraska. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Nov. 6, 1886)

The infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. R. Moore died August 28th, 1890, of cholera infantum and was buried Friday afternoon. Little Lou was about one year old and was a very bright child. The parents have the sympathy of the community in their bereavement. (Western Kansas World, Aug. 30, 1890)

E. R. Overstreet died Sunday afternoon when the car in which he was a passenger went into a ditch and he suffered a heart attack. His wife, also a passenger, was hospitalized with an injury to her arm, and the driver, Martin Switzer, Wichita, was unhurt. The accident occurred 4 1/2 miles south of Trego. Mr. Overstreet was a retired Union Pacific engineer, and is survived by his wife and a daughter, Mrs. Cleo Warren of Hays. Services were at the Lutheran Church in Ellis. (abstract, Great Bend Tribune, Dec. 29, 1954)

Charles Henry Raymond, son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Pearson, died in this city last Monday morning, aged 9 mos. and 27 days. Cholera infantum was his ailment. He was a great sufferer. The remains were buried in the city cemetery Tuesday forenoon. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Died March 19, 1887, with the quick consumption, little Jessie, beloved daughter of Sam and Bargilla Pliley (Plyley), aged 4 months and 1 week. She looked as innocent in death as in life. The remains were interred on the claim. The parents have the sympathy of all who knew her in this sad bereavement. Sleep on, dear Jessie; sleep on, loved one; rest in peace. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Mar. 26, 1887)

Lillian Finley Porter, only child of Mr. and Mrs. E. F. Porter, of this city, died on April 27. She was born on May 3, 1887. The funeral sermon was preached by Rev. Mr. Brown, and the burial took place in the Wa-Keeney cemetery last Sabbath, at 2:30 p.m. Lillian's loss fell heavily upon her devoted parents. Mr. Porter's father, J. T. Porter, of Brewerton, Ala, happened to be visiting in the eastern portion of this state. He was telegraphed to, and responded by arriving here last Saturday morning. He started home Monday evening. Mrs. Joseph Loranz, of Brewerton, Ala., arrived Saturday night, intending to remain with Mr. Porter's family about a week. She is a sister of E. F. Porter's. Mrs. W. Berry and her son Charles, of Clarinda, Iowa, mother and brother of Mrs. E. F. Porter, arrived in the city last Sunday morning, to attend the funeral of Lillian. Charles started home on Tuesday. Mrs. Berry intended to stay here a week or so longer. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 5, 1888)

Died. At her residence, in Wa-Keeney, on April 28, 1886, of puerperal fever, Anna M. Reding, wife of Nicholas Reding, aged 22 years, 1 month, 27 days. The furneral sermon was preached Friday afternoon by Rev. J. A Stayt, after which the remains were buried in the WaKeeney cemetery. Mrs. Reding was of the Roman Catholic faith. A fruitless attempt was made to secure the services of a priest from Hays City. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 1, 1886)

A small child of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Reynolds, of Big creek valley, south of Ogallah, died last Sunday, and was buried on the home place on the day following.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

Died of lagrippe, on the morning of January 21, Mattie, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Robertshaw of Glencoe.(Western Kansas World, Jan. 28, 1893)

Died At Goodland, Kansas, Monday, April 2, 1894 Mrs. Anna Shirkley, aged 23 years and 7 months. The deceased was a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. S. Schwanbeck, living northwest of town. The remains were interred in the Collyer cemetery on last Wednesday. Our sympathies are with the bereaved family in their affliction.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, Apr. 7, 1894)

Died, at the residence of his parents, in this city, Saturday, June 18, at 1 o'clock a. m., Liggett DuBois Shuler, aged 5 mos. and 24 days. Mr. and Mrs. Shuler, who are newcomers to Wa-Keeney, were given to feel that our people are kind-hearted. A large number of our citizens attended the burial exercises at the cemetery at 5 p. m. on Saturday. Remarks were made at the cemetery by Ministers Mahaffie and Williams.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, June 25, 1887)

Funeral services for Theodore Stieben, 65, of Wakeeney will be Saturday at the Wakeeney Church of God, with burial in the Wakeeney Cemetery, with Masonic rites. Mr. Stieben died Wednesday afternoon at the Trego County Hospital after suffering a heart attack. He was born Oct. 12, 1901 at Bison, and was married to Lottie Brundage. He was a farmer. Survivors in his wife; three sons, Raymond A., and Charles C., both of Cawker City, and LaVerne, of San Diego, Calif.; two brothers, Paul, of WaKeeney, and Emanuel of Oakley; also one grandchild. (abstract, Great Bend Tribune, Sep. 14, 1967)

Mrs. Mattie A. Sullivan, wife of P. H. Sullivan, died at Richmond, Kentucky, December 16, 1889, of La Grippe. Mrs Sullivan will be remembered by many of Wa-Keeney's citizens as a patient sufferer while here. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 25, 1890)

At 7 o'clock Wednesday evening, Feb. 6, 1889, Mrs. Amelia Sundell died at their residence, in Riverside township, Trego county, Kansas. Her ailment was hysterical fits with brain fever. Mrs. Sundell had been a member of the Lutheran church ever since her childhood, and was a devoted Christian woman. She had won the love of all her neighbors, who sadly mourn her loss. She leaves a husband and six small children, 4 girls and 2 boys, to mourn her death. The bereaved family has the sympathy of their many friends. Her baby is 7 months and six days old. She was born in Sweden, April 18, 1850, and came to America in October, 1875. She was married to Gust Sundell on April 10, 1876, to whom she has been a true and faithful wife. The funeral services were conducted by Squire McKinley, of Ogallah. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Feb. 9, 1889)

Miss Nettie Swanson, of Gove county, died at the Commercial House, in this city, of pneumonia. A short time before, she had the measles and then scarlet fever. She had come here to nurse a sister, who was sick. The sister recovered. The remains of Nettie were buried in the Wa-Keeney cemetery last Saturday evening.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, May 28, 1887)

Died, Nov. 2, 1887, Otto A., son of Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Tichenor, aged 5 years and 9 months. Last spring Mr. and Mrs. Tichenor buried a daughter, aged 19. They came from Indiana about 18 months ago. Strangers, in a strange land, this double bereavement falls heavily upon them. The have the heartfelt sympathy of neighbors and friends. Otto was one of those children whose beaming countenance and lovely face but expressed the beauty and innocence of the soul within. The youngest of the family, very affectionate in disposition and wise beyond his years, he was the darling of the household. His sufferings were great, but amidst them all, he wanted the farewell kisses of his loved ones. evening.(Western Kansas World, Saturday, Nov. 5, 1887)

George Curtis, eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. G. M. Ufford, of this city, died last Monday, aged 5 years 6 mos. and 13 days. Funeral services were held at the family residence Wednesday forenoon, at 10 o'clock. Rev. W. H. Mahaffie preached the funeral sermon, and was assisted by Rev. W. B. Brown. A large procession followed the remains to the cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Mar. 10, 1888)

Patrick Walsh was born in County Cork, Ireland, 73 years ago. He had lived in America about thirty years, residing in Chicago up to 1879 When he became a member of the "Colony" which settled the town known as Collyer in Trego county. On the afternoon of December 6th, 1893, he went to the cellar and, not returning at once, his son went after him when he was found unconscious and died soon afterward. The cause of his death was heart failure. He was buried at Collyer on Saturday, Dec. 9th, and the funeral was the most impressive ever witnessed in that little town. The floral offerings were beautiful and were composed of white and straw-colored roses and smilax. There were three pieces a cross, a crown, and a large center piece on which was the word "Father." Rev. Father Martin, of Hays City, conducted the funeral exercises, which were very impressive. No man stood higher in the community than did Mr. Walsh, and he will be greatly missed by all. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Dec. 16, 1893)

Died, January 16, 1892, Fay, the infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. I. Welch. Services were held at the Presbyterian church on Sunday afternoon, by Rev. G. W. Rich, after which the loved one was laid to rest in the Wa-Keeney cemetery. The parents have the sympathy of all in their bereavement. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Jan. 23, 1892)

Edith May Wheeler, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. D. Wheeler, died of dysentery and fever Thursday morning, aged 16 mos., 8 d's. Hope struggled against fate to save the sweet child. Rev. Walker preached the funeral services at the family residence yesterday, at 2:30 p. m. The remains were then buried in the city cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, July 16, 1887)

The funeral of the daughter of Mr. Zatopek occurred last Thursday, the interment being made at the Catholic cemetery. (Western Kansas World, Saturday, Oct. 9, 1886)

Return to Trego Co. KHHP

This website created March 13, 2012 by Sheryl McClure.
2011-2012 Kansas History and Heritage Project