Kansas History and Heritage Project--Osborne County History

Osborne County History
"A New Centennial History of Kansas," Charles Tuttle, 1876


Osborne County was organized in 1871, and named for a private in the Second Kansas cavalry, who lost a leg on the Arkansas river, in January, 1865. The area of the county is 900 square miles, and the population in 1875 was 3,467, in which males preponderate to the extent of 300. Iowa has supplied nearly a third of the population of Osborne county. Eighty-three per cent, of the settlers are engaged in farming and 11 per cent, in mines and manufactures. Twenty per cent, of the area is bottom land, but only two per cent, forest. The streams are the north and south forks of the Solomon, with their tributary creeks, Twin, Covert and Kill. There are some springs, and good wells range from seven to thirty-eight feet in depth. Coal has been found, but is not plentiful; good limestone abounds. There are no railroads yet in the county. The county seat is at Osborne City, 163 miles northwest from Topeka. There are good water powers on the two forks of the Solomon and four mills are already in operation, but the powers are not nearly developed. The main manufactures are a grist mill, a saw mill, a grist and saw mill, and a furniture factory, at Penn township; a grist mill at Sumner, and two others at Bethany and at Liberty townships. There are no banks in the county, but there are two newspapers, weekly, published in Osborne. There 49 districts, but only 16 school houses, valued at $6,666. There are several organizations but no church buildings, and the libraries in four townships showed a total of 8,549 volumes. This county suffered terribly from the locusts, as nearly half of the population was destitute of rations and clothing in consequence of their ravages.





Return to Osborne Co. KHHP



This website created Feb. 1, 2012 by Sheryl McClure.
2011-2012 Kansas History and Heritage Project