Kansas History and Heritage Project-Morris County Obituaries

Morris County Obituaries

"CGR"=Council Grove Republican

William Acre of East Council Grove died Sunday morning of Bright�s disease. Funeral services were held Monday in the Christian church. (CGR Nov. 15, 1895)

Denis Bradford Aiken was born July 23, 1837, in Wentworth, Grafton county, N. H.; removed with his parents in 1856 to Oneida, Knox county, Ill.; served three years and three months in the war of the Rebellion, enlisting in the 124th Illinois Temperance regiment (composed mostly of Good Templars). He was married in 1806 to Marietta Sumner in Marion, N. Y. Settled in Illinois, spent two years in Iowa, and finally, in the fall of �78, removed with his family to Council Grove, Kansas, where he resided till the time of his death, which occurred May 11, 1893. He was as truly a patriot as any who lost their lives on the field of battle, having never known what it was to be well since the war. The direct cause of his death was pneumonia, and after a short, severe attack, he quietly and peacefully passed away from earth. A wife and two daughters, Mamie and Katie, mourn his death. He was a member of the Congregational church and the funeral services were held at the residence, conducted by his pastor, Rev. L. Armsby. The A. O. U. W. lodge to which he belonged had charge of the ceremonies and tenderly carried the deceased brother to the grave. (CGR May 19, 1893)

James R. Allen, son of James H. and Emily Allen, was born in Bath county, Kentucky, on the 16th day of September, 1865, and died on the 25th day of February, 1894, aged 28 years, 5 months and 9 days. He moved with his parents in 1872 to Morris county, Kansas and settled near Council Grove, and has resided in and near here ever since. In the year 1878 his father died and his mother was left with four boys and two girls to provide for as best she could, which was no easy task in a wild and newly settled country. Although James was deprived at an early age of the care and training of a father, he grew to be an industrious young man and worthy citizen. He never united with any church but he told his mother a short time before he died, in answer to some questions, that he had made his peace with God. He was married in September, 1892, to Miss Minnie Fenner. He leaves a wife and babe, mother, three brothers and two sisters to mourn for him, but they do not mourn as those who have no hope.�(CGR March 2, 1894)

W. S. Aulder, of east Council Grove, died last Saturday of old age. He was the father of Bass Aulder and was 82 years old. �(CGR April 8, 1898)

Died July 5, 1895-At his home near Emporia, Frankie, only son of Mr, and Mrs. Edward Bascom. Funeral services were conducted July 6 by Rev. W. M. Woodward, pastor of M. P. church and the remains were buried in Dunlap cemetery. (CGR July 12, 1895)

The funeral of Abram Beesley was preached by the Rev. S. V. Irvin last Friday at 11 A. M. The remains were laid to rest in the Dunlap cemetery. �(CGR April 7, 1893)

The remains of William Blanton were laid to rest in the Dunlap cemetery Friday. Mr. Blanton was one of Morris county's old pioneers and his many friends here mourn his departure and regret the loss of one so tried and true. (CGR Feb. 19, 1897)

Charles Blue, an old colored soldier, died Thursday and was laid to rest in the colored cemetery, Saturday. (CGR March 20, 1903)

Mrs. Chas. Blue was found dead in her home Tuesday morning. She had apparently been dead for several days, as the body was in a very bad condition. The coroner�s jury reported the case heart failure. (CGR May 22, 1903)

Richard Bonner (colored) died at his home in this city, Tuesday morning, Nov. 27 of stomach troubles. Funeral services took place from the African M. E. church Wednesday nt 2:30 o�clock, Rev. Watson officiating. Mr. Bonner was an exemplary citizen and was liked by all with whom he came in contact. Quite often he would fill the pulpit in the absence of the pastor. (CGR Nov. 30, 1900)

Reuben Bosley (colored) died very suddenly at his home in this city Tuesday. He was found dead setting in a chair. The deceased leaves a wife and son. Mrs. Bosley was in Denver, Colorado, at the time of his death. She arrived home Wednesday. Funeral services will be held Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. (CGR March 30, 1905)

Mr. L. H. Bottie died October 6th, 1897. Was born in Germany, September 10th, 1852, came to West Virginia in 1860. He was married to Miss Mary E. Baockelman in 1875 and came to Kansas in 1878. He leaves a wife and four children to mourn their loss, three sons and one daughter. The funeral services were conducted at his residence by the writer and was buried at the Kinkle cemetnry north of Wilsey. --B. G. Hopkins. (CGR Oct. 15, 1897)

The little six month daughter of Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Brigham of this city died last Wednesday evening of pneumonia. The little one had been quite low for several days but made a gallant fight against fate. She was a more than usually bright and promising child and the heart of every parents in the city will go out to Mr. and Mrs. Brigham in the loss of their little sunbeam. (CGR April 8, 1898)

Mrs. Mary Burtnett, mother-in-law of Charles Lewis, died Friday. She has been a long sufferer. Her remains were laid to rest in the Dunlap cemetery Sunday. (CGR Oct. 20, 1899)

America Bell Ray was born in Vermillian County, Illinois, January 9, 1859, died in Peabody, Kansas, December 2, 1899. She was baptised in infancy by Rev. Peter Wallace, was converted and joined the M. E. church when twelve years of age and ever remained a faithful member. She was united in marriage to Prof. A. H. Bushey September 6, 1882. To them were born four children, three are living, one proceeded her to the glory land. From early childhood she enjoyed christian training. She was a dutiful child, a loving sister, a devoted companion and an aflectionate mother. Her life has been one of untiring devotion and unselfish love for her family and friends. She was deeply interested and earnest in the work of the Master. Her faith was clear and unwavering, her life pure and consistent. Her kind and gentle disposition won her warm friends everywhere she lived. She was a great sufferer for years with that dread disease consumption, but in the midst of all her sufferings she has been patient, and when her body was racked with pain her thoughts were for others than herself. She leaves to mourn their loss, besides her husband and children, a father, mother, three brothers and one sister. and many more friends. Today the family and friends stand at her open grave. They have the desolation, the empty void and the silence of death, but she has gained heaven�s completeness. All the joys of eternal love are her�s forever. Faith speaks tenderly today and says �No tie is broken, love is eternal.� As the links of the family chain are being broken one by one we are drawn to an everlasting home where the redeemed dwell. Her remains were brought to Delavan, the home of her parents. The funeral services were held in the M. E. church. �A very large congregation of friends and those who had known her for years were present. Her body was buried in Delavan cemetery to await the resurrection. (CGR Dec. 15, 1899)

Fred Byrnes died of dropsy at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J. B. Byrnes, in Dunlap, April 5, 1895, age 19 years. The remains were buried in the Dunlap cemetery Friday afternoon. (CGR April 12, 1895)

Albert E. Claybaugh was born at Findlay, Hancock county, Ohio, December 3, 1855, removed with his parents to Morris county, Kansas, in 1865, was married to Hattie E. Marshall of Jacksonville, Illinois, at Emporia, Kansas, May 26th, 1885. Died at his home near Kelso February 1st, 1897; came to his death by the accidental discharge of a gun. He leaves a loving wife but no children. Albert Clabaugh was apparently a young man, was loved respected by all who knew him. The accident cast a gloom over the entire neighborhood. Funeral services were conducted by Revs. Chandler and McBee after which the remains were followed to the Kelso cemetery by a large procession of relatives and friends. The wife and relatives of the deceased have the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community. (CGR Feb. 12, 1897)

Charles Clyborne, of Chimgo, died of consumption Saturday, August 4, 1894, It the home of his grandfather, W. L. Clyborne, on Cahola creek. Funeral services were held Monday by Rev. Baitr, assisted by Rev. Irwin, and the remains were buried In the Dunlap cemetery. Mr. Clyborne been here a few weeks. He was a brother of Harry Clyborne and cousin of Mrs. Fred F. Chase of this county. (CGR Aug. 10, 1894)

Ruth Tompson Clyborne was born in Preble county, Ohio, March 11th, 1818 and died near Dunlap, Morris county, Kansas, October 11th, 1895. Age 77 years and 7 months. Deceased was married to W. L. Clyborne January 18th, 1838 at Pokagon, Michigan, where she had moved with her father in 1823, when they were numbered among the first settlers of Cass county, Michigan. Her father died in California in 1850. There were six children as a result of this marriage; three living, Archibald of Chicago, Thomas M. of Michigan, and Addie R. of Galesburg, Illinois; three dead, Jane, William L. and Franklin. Her son of Michigan and daughter from Galesburg were present at the funeral which took place on Monday, October 14th, the funeral sermon being preached by Rev. W. R. Bair, pastor of the Congregational church in Dunlap. Mrs. Ciyborne became a consistent christian and united with the first Baptist church of Summerville, Michigan, in 1850. Her father and mother were members of the Dunkard church. Mr. and Mrs. Clyborne moved from Pokagon, Michigan, to Galesburg Illinois, in 1861 and from Galesburg to Dunlap in 1884 where they have since resided until God called this dear christian mother to her reward. A large number of people were present to pay the last sad rites and follow her remains to their last resting place. (CGR Oct. 25, 1895)

Merwin Eugene Cole, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. L. S. Cole of east Council Grove, was born March 10, 1897, and died June 8, 1898. He had unusual difficulty in teething and two weeks ago was taken down very sick, but under skillful medical treatment and nursing he rallied, but a few hours before his death he relapsed and about 3 a.m. was released from entering and taken to the �home over there.� The funeral services were held in the M. E. church Friday morning at ten o'clock. conducted by Rev. Mayor. The songs by the choir and remarks of the minister were full of comfort and inspiration to all. The floral contributions and kindly expressions of deep sympathy of friends, made Mr. and Mrs. Cole feel that they do not have to carry life's burdens and sorrows alone. The remains were peacefully laid to rest in the cemetery. (CGR June 10, 1898)

The remains of W. T. Cooney, father of Mrs. Charlie Craig of Council Grove, were laid to rest in the cemetery at Dunlap last Sunday. (CGR July 21, 1893)

William Downing was born in Pike County, Ohio, May 12th 1821. He was married Sept. 5th 1844 to Miss Eliza J. Green. With his family he came to Kansas in 1858, and located on the farm where he made his home till the day of his death which occured May 20th 1898, the time of his earthly pilgrimage being seventy-seven years and eight days. A widow, one son, five daughters, two brothers and three sisters survive to mourn his departure. A large assembly of neighbors, many of them friends of long years gathered at his late residence to the funeral services held May 21 and followed his remains to their last resting place at the old Downing burying ground near Kelso. William Downing was no ordinary man, a man of wide reading and careful thought. He had very decided convictions and was ready on all proper occasions to express them, but he was tolerant of the views of others, never dealing in language of harsh denunciations. In his home he was a thoughtful, kind and afiectionate husband and father, an accommodating neighbor, a good citizen and thoroughly honest man. He will be greatly missed from the community where he lived so long and so highly esteemed.� (CGR May 27, 1898)

Mrs. J. W. Dwiggins died at her home west of town at 10 o�clock Tuesday morning, Sept. 19, 1893. Mrs. Dwiggins was a native of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and was born June 6, 1856. Her maiden name was Van Vleet and she had been a resident of Morris county about twenty years. Mrs. Dwiggins was twice married, the first time to Henry Meacham, of this county, and after his death she was united in marriage to J. W. Dwiggins, whose death occurred about two years ago. The deceased had been in bad health for several years and her demise was not entirely unexpected. Her mother was at her bedside. Two brothers reside at Denver. Two sons survive the mother, one 18 and the other 16 years of age. The funeral services were held at the home at 12 o�clock on Wednesday by Rev. Whiting, pastor of the Baptist church, of which society she was a member. The interment took place at Greenwood cemetery this city, where the body was laid between those of the two husbands. (CGR Sept. 22, 1893)

Died, September 26, at her home on Bluff Creek, Sarah E. Eads, age 24 years. She is survived by her husband, W. E. Eads, and one child. Her remains were laid to rest in the Agnes City cemetery. (CGR Oct. 16, 1885)

Quite a number of people from this place [Olive Branch] attended the funeral of Miss Annie Edwards, youngest daughter of John Edwards of Six Mile, which was held at Delavan Sunday. The remains were interred in the Delavan cemetery and were followed to their last resting place by one of the largest processions ever seen in this vicinity on a similar occasion. Mr. Edwards and family have the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends in their sad bereavement. (CGR July 22, 1898)

The infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Eldred died last week and was buried in the Toledo, Kansas, cemetery. (CGR Feb. 8, 1895)

W. S. Ewing, who died last Wednesdny at his home five miles west of Council Grove, was born in Pike county, Missouri. He was 66 years of age last August. He had been a resident of Kansas for eighteen years, sixteen of them having been spent in Morris county. A wife and six children survive him. The funeral services were conducted at the home by Elder B. G. Hopkins. The body was laid to rest in Greenwood cemetery. (CGR Jan 18, 1895)

Mrs. Soloman Falls, colored, died Friday morning at her home in south Council Grove. The funeral was held this afternoon at 2:30 from the colored Baptist church. (CGR July 4, 1907)

Died, in Council Grove, Kansas, May 15th, 1893, John C. Feigley, aged 55 years. John Colborn Feigley, son of Samuel and Libbie Feigley, was born at Lexington, Perry county, Ohio, April 27, 1838. His childhood and youth were spent in the town where he was born. There he received a good common school education and learned the printer's trade. On the 18th of May, 1882, he was married to Miss Eliza Hampton; to them have been born ten children, seven of whom with their mother mourn his death. In March 1862 he enlisted in the military service of his country in the 31st Ohio Volunteers, in which he served three years. participating in a number of hard taught battles, notably Stone River and Chicamauga besides many small skirmishes; and was honorably discharged in 1865. The loss of his arm in his country's service prevented his return to his calling as a printer. After his removal to Illinois In 1868 he engaged in teaching in the public schools and made a creditable record as a teacher. After a residence of twelve years in Blandinville, Illinois, he removed to Kansas and located on a farm three miles from Council Grove, where he had since resided till last January. Since coming to Kansas he taught three terms with his usual success, but confinement to the school room seriously impaired his health, never very firm since his discharge from the army. He devoted himself wholly to the cultivation of his farm, doing about as much hard work as most men having two hands. Last November he was elected Clerk of the District Court of Morris county but had never been able to take possession of his allies. There is little doubt that the loss of his arm was the primary cause inducing the fatal disease or which he died as he has from that time suflered more or less daily pain in the left lung, and care- ful examination by his physician disclosed the fact that for a long time it had been wholly decayed. Brother Feigley was a christian. Soon after his discharge from the army he made a public profession of religion and united with the Baptist church. In it he lived a faithful and eonsistant member till Monday morning when his membership was transferred to the church triumphant which is without fault before the throne of God. He lived the life of an exemplary christian and died in the faith of the gospel. While we mourn at his coffin he rejoices with saints and angels in heaven.� The funeral services were held at the family residence on Tuesday. A large concourse of friends and a detachment of G. A. R. followed the remains to their last resting place in Greenwood cemetery. (CGR May 19, 1893)

Raymond O. Feigley, youngest son of Mrs. J. C. Feigley, died of peritonitis, Saturday morning, May 25th, 1895, aged 16 years end 5 months. His illness lasted two weeks. The funeral services were held at the house Saturday afternoon conducted by Rev. A. S. Merrifield. A long procession accompanied the remains to their last resting place in Greenwood cemetery. Ray was born In Blandensville, Illinois. He was a quiet boy, highly esteemed by those who knew him and especially kind and affectionate toward his mother. To the sorrowing mother, the brothers and sisters many friends extend heartfelt sympathy. (CGR May 31, 1895)

Died, at the residence of H. W. Fisher, in this city, on Wednesday morning, his youngest daughter, Carrie Murdoch, aged 1 year, 4 months and 8 days, of whooping cough, complicated with other diseases. She was buried in the Greenwood cemetery that afternoon, after appropriate funeral services at the home. (CGR Oct. 16, 1885)

Died, on Wednesday at the home of Theodore Frontin on Gilmore creek, his daughter, aged six years. (CGR Aug. 24, 1883)

Sallie E. Reel was born at Reelsville, Putnam county, Indiana, on June 29th, 1860. She was married to Henry Furney at St. Louis on October 25th, 1883. They settled near Alta Vista, and in 1893 she became a member of the Christian church and remained a consistent�christian ever since. Mrs. Sallie Furney departed this life at her home in Council Grove, September 15th.�She was the mother of two children and leaves a daughter and husband to mourn her loss. (CGR Sept. 22, 1899)

Mrs. Matilda Gassett died at the home of her son, V. A. Gassett, of this city, Sunday evening, June 18, 1899, after u painful illness of five weeks, aged 79 years, 1 month and 18 days. She was born in Mendon, Mass., May 1, 1820. and was married to Nelson Gassett in 1839. They made their home in Massachusetts until 1861 when they moved to Rhode Island and from there in 1868 to Dayton, Ohio, where her husband died in 1878. She leaves to mourn for her two sons, three daughters and several grandchildren. One son and daughter still� reside in Ohio; Mrs. Kirk is in Kansas City and V. A. Gassett snd Mrs. Vose live in this city. Possessed of rare qualities of heart and mind, she made a wide circle of warm friends wherever she went and �None knew her but to love her.� She was brought up among the Friends and retained their faith until death released�her from her weary sufferings. (CGR June 23, 1899)

John Gault of Washington Co., Iowa died last night at the residence of Mr. J. B. Gangwer, for whom he had been working this summer. His disease was of the throat. The circumstances of his death were peculiarly sad, having no relatives here but one family, Mr. Ira Powers being his uncle. While he no doubt had the best of treatment at his temporary home, yet it was not like being at home and among his kindred. He longed for a mother's touch upon his revered brow, and the imprint of a mother�s kiss upon his dying lips, but his mother could not get here in time for him to receive those blessings, but came to the funeral which occurs today at the Delavan cemetery. Two of his brothers are also here. He was a promising young men of good habits and died with the Christian's hope. (CGR Nov. 17, 1899)

Arnold Gayden, who has been sick with lung fever and the grippe, died Monday. He will be buried Wednesday In the colored cemetery. (CGR April 12, 1901)

A. J. Gillette, an old and respected citizen of Council Grove, died last Sunday night at his home on Union street, of a complication of diseases. He was a great sufferer having been confined to his bed since last February, and death came as a sweet release. He was born in West Virginia, January 24, 1824, and moved to Ohio with his parents when he was fourteen months old where he lived until he was fifteen years of age. He then removed to Galesburg, Illinois, where he resided until 1878 when he came to Morris county and remained here until his death. He was twice married and was the father of thirteen children. He was first married to Miss Rebecka Mount who died in 1872. On July 16, 1874, he was married to Miss Caroline Fisher, who still survives him. The funeral services were held at the Christian church Mnndny afternoon at. four o'clock, conducted by Rev. W. E. Mack and Palmer after which the remains were laid to rent in Greenwood cemetery. (CGR June 23, 1899)

The two-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Gray, living north of Dunlap on Rock creek, died of measles last Monday and the remains were buried in the Dunlap cemetery today. (CGR Feb. 2, 1894)

Mrs. Mary Sturdevant Green died at the home of her step-daughter, Mrs. Effie Corey in Council Grove on the evening of June 18th, 1898. Mrs. Green was the daughter of Josiah and Hannah Sturdevant, natives of New England. She was born at Rushville, New York, on March 28th, 1854, and came to Kansas about twenty-eight years ago. On September 19th, 1872, she was married to Governor N. Green of Manhattan. Mrs. Green was a member of the Congregational church until her marriage when she united with the Methodist Episcopal church. She was an earnest Christian worker and her death is widely mourned by a host of friends and co-workers. She leaves two step daughters Mrs. Alice Edgerton and Mrs. Effie Corey of Council Grove, and two sons Bert and Ned. Her remains were brought to Manhattan last Saturday morning and the funeral took place from the Methodist church at three o�clock in the afternoon. (CGR June 26, 1896)

The infant child of John Guthrie was buried Tuesday afternoon in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR June 14, 1895)

Died, July 27th, Jessie, daughter of John Guthrie and wife. Funeral was preached by Rev. Bair Monday in the grove by the Guthrie residence where a large and sympathetic audience had gathered. Little Jessie had been badly burned some weeks ago while kindling a fire in the cook stove and after lingering so long with such terrible suffering death ended her misery. Jessie was an exceptionally sweet girl, and so bright and very kind in disposition. She would have been ten years old next February. The entire community sympathize with the Guthrie family in this sad affliction. and now two little ones will be waiting at the beautiful gate. (CGR July 31, 1896)

Died, at his home in Parkerville, on Thursday, December 13, 1888, Dr. D. W. Hall, aged 40 years and 28 days. Dr. Hall had been a resident of Morris county for a number of years past, during which time he practiced medicine at Parkerville. He was born in the state of Ohio; was a christian gentlemen and had been a member with the M. E. church. He was held in high esteem by all who knew him, and his widow and a brother who resides in Parkerville have the sincere sympathy of the entire community in their and bereavement. Dr. Hall had been sick for several months with a disease of the liver, which produced dropsy, of which he died. As a physician he was held in high esteem. The funeral took place in Parkerville on Sunday, �at 11 o�clock A. M. (CGR Dec. 21, 1888)

Death of Philllip J. Hammer--The subject of this sketch was born in Germany, Jan. 5th, 1827. He came with his parents to this country in his early boyhood and lived some time in Rochester, N. Y. He was married in Rochester in 1854, and moved to Leavenworth county this state in 1868, and in 1873 removed to his farm about 8 miles west of Council Grove, where he died Sept. 2, 1893. He was a member of the Lutheran church from early youth. He received an injury some 19 years ago, from which he never fully recovered, and 4 years ago had a stroke of paralysis. The funeral was preached at the home on Monday, Sept. 4th, by Rev. L. Armsby and the body laid to rest in Greenwood cemetery, this city. Mr. Hammer was a good and well-known citizen and his family and large circle of friends will severely feel their loss. (CGR Sept. 8, 1893)

Died at her home in Dunlap, Kansas, February 15, 1895, Mrs. Lillie Parrish Harris. She was the oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Parrish of this place and wife of L. Harris. She leaves a husband and two small children to mourn their loss. Funeral was held Sunday at the Congregational church, and remains were buried in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR Feb. 22, 1895)

Mr. Harris died April 4, at the home of his daughter-in-law, Mrs. Pearl Harris, in Lyon county, and was buried April 5 in the Americus cemetery. He was the father of L. Harris of Dunlap. (CGR April 12, 1895)

Died, James Hatfield, at his residence in the eastern portion of Morris county, on the 22d day of July, 1891, after a protracted illness. He was buried in Greenwood cemetery on the 23rd inst., Rev. Dice officiating at the funeral. James Hatfield was born in New Brunswick, April 10, 1837. He immigrated to the United States and came to Solomon City, Kans. in 1878 and to Morris county in 1879, where he continued to reside up to the time of his decease. He leaves a widow and four children, all grown. Mr. Hatfield was an original character, but a better hearted, more genial gentleman never lived. His friendship was warm and his friends many. His word was good for any promise he would make. Though long a sufferer, Mr. Hatfield was to the last patient and resigned. He will be greatly missed by his family and friends. (CGR July 31, 1891)

Thomas Hawthorn/Hathorn, colored, died last Sunday morning. (CGR July 8, 1898)

John Hill was born in Yorkshire, England, October 24, 1825. At the age of 7 years he with his parents emigrated to Montreal, Canada West. At the age of 22 he was married to Miss Martha Miller of Montreal. After a married life of 15 years his wife died leaving him with two sons. He lived a widower two years and then married Miss Mary C. McPeak of Rochester, Minnesota, who still survives. To this union were born two children, a son and a daughter. At the age of 18 he was converted and united with the M. E. church, of which he remained a faithful member until his death. which occurred on Thursday evening, February 14, 1895, at his residence near Dunlap, Kansas. Mr. Hill shortly after his first marriage came to the United States and lived some time in each of the following states: Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, and came to Kansas 26 years ago taking up the privations and trials of pioneer life. The community has lost a good neighbor and citizen and the church of his choice a faithful member and class leader. The funeral services were conducted at the M. E. church at Dunlap by Rev. William Conrad, the pastor of Bushong charge. The remains were followed to their earthly resting place by a very large concourse of friends and neighbors. (CGR Feb. 22, 1895)

Mrs. Ida M. Hobbs of Dunlap, died last Monday night and was buried Wednesday afternoon at 3 o'clock. The funeral services were held in the M. E. church at Dunlap, conducted by Rev. E. A. Durham. (CGR June 16, 1899)

Earl Hooker, the 4-month: old son of Michael Hooker (colored) died Sunday of cholera lnfantum. The funeral was held Monday afternoon. (CGR Sept. 8, 1893)

Jacob Hooker (colored) died at the home of his parents on the east side Monday at 11 o'clock a.m. of fever. He had not been sick but a few days and his death was a great surprise to all. Jake was one of the beat colored boys in the city and was intelligent and industrious. He was buried Wednesday. (CGR Nov. 16, 1900)

Mrs. Mike Hooker, one of the Grove's oldest colored inhabitants, died last Monday evening, after a lingering illness of some two years. The Hookers are well and favorably known In this community, Mike and his wife being among the towns best colored people, and the loss of Mrs. Hooker will be mourned among her friends. �She was buried Tuesday. (CGR Aug. 8, 1902)

Peter Howard was buried in the colored cemetery, near Dunlap, last Friday. (CGR April 27, 1894)

From the Stillwater (Okla.) Messenger of January 25, 1895, we take the following: �Mrs. Julina Hueston, beloved wife of Merton Hueston, died Monday at her home in this city after an illness of about one week. Mrs. Hueston was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. T. Lester, who have made Stillwater their home from the tlme of the opening of the country. The deceased leaves a husband and one child and a host of friends who join in sympathising with the bereaved husband The funeral was held from their residence on Lewis street Tuesday, and the remains were laid to rest in Fair Lawn cemetery, followed by a large concourse of friends and relatives.� Mrs. Hueston before going to Oklahoma lived in Dunlap and was a cousin of Mrs. Minnie Ryman of that place. (CGR Feb. 8, 1895)

Mrs. Edward Jackson died at her home, Tuesday. She has been an invaIid for several years. The remains were laid to rest in the colored cemetery. (CGR May 22, 1903)

Once more our hearts have been saddened by the death of one of our most energetic and most honorable colored citizens. Mr. Johnson was suddenly taken very ill on Friday, the 12th, with congestion of the bladder. During his short illness he suffered intense pain. He died Wednesday, October 17, 1894, and was buried Thursday, the 18th, in the cemetery at Dunlap. Columbus M. Johnson was born on the eastern shore of Maryland December 15, 1824, and at 8 years of age he was stolen by a band of outlaws and sold into slavery in Tennessee. He came to Kansas about eighteen years ago, settling in Morris county. He took an active interest in the great exodus of colored people from Tennessee and Mississippi to Kansas and was instrumental in locating the large colony in the southern part of this county. He was a natural leader among his race. He always took delight in canvassing during the campaign in the interest of the republican party. He always stood firm and never wavered. His anticipation for the success of his party in the coming election was very great. The deceased leaves a wife some fifty years of age and three children grown, the youngest being about 18 years old. He was a prominent member of the A. M. E. church. The county has lost one of its shrewdest politicians, the home misses a good husband and father, and the colored race loses one of its best friends. (CGR Oct. 26, 1894)

The oldest son of Walter Johnson (colored) died last Saturday. The boy received injuries last fall by being thrown from a buggy, which was the cause of his death. He was about 14 years of age. (CGR April 13, 1905)

Archibald M. Kennedy was born in Greensburg, Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, June 16, 1824. He came west and settled in Peru, Illinois, in 1848. He married Ann McCarthy April 7, 1843. To this union was born four children, Mrs. Albert Pearson, of Delavan; Mr. E. G. Kennedy, of Herington; Mrs. Geo. W. Perrine and T. P. Kennedy of Delavan. Mr. Kennedy and family moved to this state in 1878, living at White City for a short time but soon moving to his farm near Delavan in the Western part of this county. He was a member of the M. E. church for over fifty years. Mr. Kennedy �had been sick a long while, his sickness turning into paralysis and terminating Sunday evening in death. He was past 71 years of age and had raised a respected family in the vicinity of Delavan where he was an old resident. He was known for his industry, for his positive convictions and expressions on all subjects�coming before him. The widow has lost a good husband, the children a kind father and the community a good citizen. The funeral was preached at the farm home at 2 p.m. July 1, by Rev. E. O. Raymond and the remains followed to and placed in the Delavan cemetery by a large procession of friends and neighbors.� (CGR July 5, 1895)

Miss Barbara Kennedy died at the horne of her sister, Mrs. John Harkness last Saturday morning at 9 o'clock and was buried in Delavan cemetery on Sunday afternoon at 4 o'clock. Funeral service was held at the residence of John Harkness. Sermon was preached by Rev. T. P. Henry. A large funeral procession accompanied the remains to its resting place. Aunt Barbara as she was familiarly called was a good Christian woman respected by all who knew her. She leaves two sisters and three brothers and a large circle of relatives to mourn her loss. Her age was 74. (CGR July 7, 1899)

Died in Skiddy, March 23, Mrs. Eliza J. Key, aged 70 years. Her first husband, William J. Morton, was killed at the battle of Pittsburg Landing and her eldest son was killed at Petersburg, Va. Funeral services held in the M. E. church conducted by Rev. Moore, of White City. (CGR April 7, 1893)

Mrs. Anna Louise Krause died at her home eleven miles south west of Council Grove, June 13th, 1899. She was of German descent, forty-four years old and a member of the Lutheran church. During the past eight months there has been manifestly a gradual decline in the health of Mrs. Krause. Her constitution seemed to have lost its vital force and recuperative energy. She never complained however, of any failing health, but always addressed herself to the duties of a wife and mother with patience and composure. She was ambitions to excel in all those commendable virtues which adorn and beautify the character of a faithful wife and mother. She was kind, good, and a beautiful example of fidelity and love to her husband and children. She looked well to the ways of her household and and not the bread of idleness. Her children will rise up and call her blessed, her husband praiseth her. A few weeks before her death she was taken with a severe attack of dropsy. During these sad weeks her sufferings were almost incessant and at times exceedingly intense and excruciating, but the grace of God was sufficient for every pain she bore, and she ultimately came of more than conqueror through Him that loved us. Notwithstanding the burning fever from which she suffered, her mind remand conscious to the last. No cloud of delirium darkened her mental vision. She had all the care that tender loving hands could give, and yet it pleased the Almighty to call her home. Her dying words were, �I can't stay here long. I'm going home." We know that our loss is her eternal gain. She leaves a kind and loving husband and five children. But she has committed her loved ones to the care of her�loving Savior. Upon these bereaved ones may the blessing of God ever rest. Funeral services were held in the M. E. church at Wilsey and the remains were laid to rest in the Wilsey cemetery. (CGR June 23, 1899)

Young Ed. Larmer died this parents� home in east Council Grove last Thursday, April 14. He had passed the age of eighteen years but had never enjoyed good health. He came to the Grove some time last summer with his parents and lived with them until his death. His parents almost idolized him as he was a boy with many excellent traits of character. His burial took place in Greenwood cemetery after the funeral sermon in the Baptist church by the pastor, H. G. Moore. Ed. leaves seven brothers, father and mother who will miss him from their number where he added much cheerfulness to their lives, but they have hope in the resurrection and know that he will be raised again. (CGR April 22, 1898)

Joseph Leatherwood was born in Adams county, Ohio, Dec. 23, 1831, and died at his home near Dunlap, Morris county, Kansas, on Thursday, June 2, 1892. He was married to Emily P. Nichols, October 9, 1856, who bore him eight children, two of whom are dead and who proceeded him to the grave nearly ten years. He served in Co. L., 2d Ohio cavalry during the civil war and there contracted diseases which shortened his days. He moved with his family to this county January 1, 1877, and settled on the farm which was his continuous home until death. At the time of his death he was justice of the peace of Valley township. and has always been a sober, industrious, upright citizen and consistent christian. He leaves a married son in Washington, four sons at home, and a daughter, the wife of Rev. F. W. Fenn. Funeral services were conducted at the house at 2 p.m., June 8, by his pastor, Rev. D. S. Morrison of the M. E. church, after which the body was interred in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR June 10, 1892)

Mrs. Harry Lee died in Emporla Saturday night and was brought home Sunday and her remains laid to rest in the Dunlap cemetery Monday afternoon. Funeral services were held in the M. E. church and a host of friends were present at the last sad rites. Mrs. Lee has been a resident here for several years and it is with sorrow and regret the community will mourn her loss. (CGR June 11, 1897)

Hiram Lee was born in Wayne county, Indiana the year 1846. About June 15, 1864 he enlisted in Company C, 46th regiment, Iowa volunteers. Feb. 15, 1872 he was married to Sarah M. Reed at Thayer, Nebraska. Came to Council Grove in May, 1896. Died August 8. 1899. Aged 53 years. (CGR Aug. 11, 1899)

John Loren, infant son of D. A. Lee died Friday and was buried Saturday In the Dunlap Cemetery. (CGR July 28, 1899)

Milda Pearl, daughter of Harvey and Laura Lee, living on Rock creek seven miles southeast of Council Grove, was born at their present home April 22nd, 1896, departed this life November 2nd, 1897, age one year, six months, twelve days. Little Milda came to their home like the rising sun of the morning with all its glory and beauty, bringing sunlight and joy with her, the first born of the family. The tender little plant in the great flower garden of God was earnestly cared for, to grow and develop and became the joy and pride of her parents. In the bud of its earthly existence the wind passed over the little plant leaving its blight and destructive power to which it succumbed after along struggle, bringing a pang to the hearts of those who st. tenderly cared for her. All that human care and attention could do being rendered but of no avail and on the day mentioned above the spirit took to the great lover of children who said: �Suffer little children to come unto me and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of God.� The funeral services took place Wednesday, November 4th at the home of the. parents on Rock creek, Rev. R. Maloney, pastor of the M. E. church of Bushong officiating. The remains were conveyed to Dunlap cemetery. The long procession was an expression of the heartfelt sympathy of the many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Lee in this their hour of sad bereavement. (CGR Nov. 19, 1897)

The death of Willie Lee, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Lee, Saturday evening, was a surprise to all. He had so far recovered from the disease with which he was first taken ill as to be able to sit up in bed, and it had been several days since the physician�s services were no longer needed, and when on Friday he was attacked with inflamatory rheumatism, and being yet very weak, he could not survive its ravages. Under such circumstances, all remedies failed to revive or sustain him, and he passed away as stated. His remains were buried in the Dunlap cemetery on Sunday at 4 p. m., and the funeral services were preached in the M.E. church by Rev. Royal on Monday. Deceased was about fourteen years of age. (CGR April 10, 1885)

Mrs. James Long of Rock Creek died Wednesday of pneumonia and was buried in Greenwood cemetery this city yesterday. The deceased was a sister of Mrs. Fred Montgomery and Mrs. Collins of Council Grove. (CGR March 8, 1895)

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas McGeorge died at their home in Kansas City the 6th inst, and was brought to this city by the parents and buried in Greenwood cemetery on Wednesday. (CGR July 10, 1891)

Death of Patrick McGoldrick--This well known old soldier, who has been fighting death for years, surrendered last Thursday, November 16, 1893, and passed over the river. Deceased was a native of Ireland and was a brickmaker by trade. He enlisted in the U. S. army August 6, 1862, in the 32d Missouri Infantry. He was discharged at the close of the war in 1865 as corporal of Company H, 82d Missouri Infantry, For years prior to his death he was a severe sufferer from acomplication of diseases no doubt induced by exposure in the army. His wife died but a few months ago and they leave several children with no means of support. The family have for many years resided in Council Grove and their afflictions and poverty are well known to all. The government should do a good turn for the orphans. At the time of his death Mr. McGouldrick was drawing a pension of $6 per month and it was the only visible means of support for a large family. The neighbors are doing what they can for the relief of the little ones. The funeral services were held on Saturday and the remains placed in Greenwood cemetery. (CGR Nov. 24, 1893)

Died, June 30th about nine o'clock a.m., Rev. S. McCullough. His remains were followed to the Delavan cemetery by a large procession of neighbors and friends. The funeral sermon was preached by the Rev. H. Ritchie of Council Grove. The Herington lodge of A. F. & A. M. helped in the burial service. Rev. Ritchie preached a splendid sermon such as the occasion demanded. The family have the sympathy of the entire community in their sad affliction. A more extended account of the life and death of Mr. McCullough will no doubt be written by someone chosen by the family. (CGR July 9, 1897)

The little six-months old child of Mr. and Mrs. McVail of Four Mile died Tuesday of this week, thus making two little ones plucked from their midst within three weeks. Remains were taken to Four Mile cemetery for interment. Funeral services were conducted by J. W. Watkins of Council Grove. (CGR Aug. 27, 1897)

Died, at the home of his parents,� Mr. and Mrs. M. Metzger, on Big John, Eugene Metzger, on Sunday, February 16th, 1896, of typhoid pneumonia, aged 20 years, 8 months and 28 days. Eugene Edwin Metzger was born May 23rd, 1875, on the farm where he died. Being a young man of excellent character and a kind and dutiful son and brother, beloved by all who came in contact with him, his death in a sad blow to the family who have the sympathy of all in their bereavement. He leaves a father, mother, two brothers and two sisters to mourn his loss. The funeral service were held at the family residence on Tuesday, after which the remains were followed by a large concourse of friends to their last resting place in Greenwood cemetery. (CGR Feb. 21, 1896)

A young man, Gus Monson, workman the farm of Ben Linn, died very suddenly Iast Wednesday. He was plowing corn, was taken with an epileptic fit, brought on by the excessive heat. �He was taken to town but never came to consciousness again. �The funeral was preached at the M.E. church by Rev. F. C. Fenn, after which his remains were deposited in the Dunlap cemetery. �He was a cousin of Mr. Linn and but recently from Sweden, where he leaves a mother to mourn her loss. (CGR July 4, 1890)

Charles Owen was born June 9th, 1838, at Leominster, England, and died at his home near Burdick July 11th, 1898. He was married to Miss Mary Tedstone in the year 1864. He leaves a widow and five children, and live grandchildren to mourn his loss. He had been a resident of Morris county 32 years, coming here when the wild Indian was roaming at will over the country, having lost all of his property at one time by them. When he first came to Kansas he commenced to work at his trade, brick mason, working for the government on the forts here and afterwards building several brick buildings in Council Grove. In the death of Mr. Owen Morris county has lost one of its best citizens, his neighborhood a good neighbor and his family a kind husband and father. Like all men Mr. Owen had his faults, but when compared with his virtues they were insignificant. He was intensely loyal to his friends, his home, his state, and his country. He was never so happy as when dispensing comfort and happiness to his own home and that of others. His funeral sermon was preached by a former pastor, Rev. T. P. Henry, who was also an esteemed friend, from the text: �If a man die, shall he live again!" The services were held in the M. E. church in Delavan and were very impressive throughout. A very large congregation by their presence and attention gave evidence of their respect, love and sympathy for the deceased and his family. During his five months painful illness he bore all with wonderful resignation often exhibiting that tender� regard for others which was characteristic of his life. His remains lie in a beautiful lot in Delavan cemetery where loving hands will place beautiful flowers and other adornments, and from whence we. trust he will come forth at the resurection a glorified body to meet and greet his friends in the land of life.�(CGR July 22, 1898)

Mr. Comer Phillips, who lived a couple of miles north of Dunlap, died on Monday afternoon. Deceased was about 36 years of age, and leaves a wife and three children. His parents and a number of sisters and brothers also live in the neighborhood. Mr. Phillips had been a sufferer for some fifteen years from the complaint which finally ended his life, which, we understand, Dr. Wright says was a tumerous or callous growth inside of or near the terminal point of the large intestines, yet beyond the reach of successful surgical operation. It grew to such proportions as to obstruct the channel, causing the death of the patient. Funeral services were held from the M.E. church at Dunlap on Tuesday, with burial in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR April 10, 1885)

M. G. Phillips died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Carrie Zies, Thursday, May 24, and was buried Saturday afternoon at Dunlap cemetery, Rev. Armsby of Council Grove preaching the funeral sermon in the Congregational church. Mr. Phillips has been confined to his bed most of the time for the past two years. He lenves a wife and five children: Mrs. 0. J. McCabe, Mrs. John K. Cook, Gord. Phillips, Mrs. Charlie Zies, all of Dunlap, and M. G. Phillips, of Emporia. (CGR June 1, 1894)

On last Thursday while Mr. Sylvester Plummer, living about eight miles south of town was plowing, his children were engaged in burning weeds and stalks on the land. One of the children, a little girl about eight years old, got too close to the fire and her dress was soon in flames. By the time her father could reach her, who at the time was some distance away, the clothes were almost burned off her. Dr. Crawford of this city was immediately sent for, but upon his arrival he found her burns so great that he could do nothing but ease her suffering, and the little one died at 3 o'clock Friday morning. (CGR March 11, 1892)

Mrs. Maggie Prichard died of consumption at her home on the Neosho river last Wednesday and was buried Thursday in the Cottonwood cemetery. Her husband died last summer. She leaves five small children to mourn the loss of a mother. Mrs. Prichard was the first to die out of a family of thirteen children. (CGR April 27, 1894)

Died, at the home of his father, Thomas Reese, in this city Saturday, February 15, 1896, of tonsilitis, Isaac Reese, aged 28 years and 5 months. Isaac Reese was born in Washington Co. Ohio, September 15, 1867. He came to Morris county with his parents in March 1884, and resided here ever since. He was a young man of exemplary habits, a kind and dutiful son, and an earnest christian. His death is a sad blow to his parents and members of the family, who have the sympathy of the entire community. He leaves a father, mother, five brothers and three sisters to mourn his loss. Funeral services were held at the family residence Monday at 1:30 o'clock, after which the remains were laid to rest in Greenwood cemetery, Rev. Geo.� Camp conducting the services. A few moments before his death he requested his sister to sing to him his favorite hymn, �Rock of Ages," from which he seemed to derive so much spiritual comfort. (CGR Feb. 21, 1896)

We are deeply pained this week to he called upon to chronicle the sad death of Miss Susie Riegel, the beautiful and accomplished daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. W. Riegel, of Wilsey, who after an illness of about five weeks succumbed to that fell destroyer typho-pneumonia on last Sunday night in the twentieth year of her age. Her death has cast a gloom over the entire village of Wilsey, as she was a general favorite with all who knew her. The funeral servicee were preached in the congregational church Monday afternoon, after which the remains were interred in the Wilsey cemetery. (CGR May 9, 1890)

The infant child of Mr. and Mrs. S. Scott was buried in the Dunlap cemetery last Sunday morning. (CGR July 21, 1893)

Mrs. R. A. Sessler/Sesler died Wednesday night, at her home just west of the city, of typhoid fever. She has been a resident of this county for a great many years and was well and favorably known. The funeral services will be from the M. E. church, Friday afternoon, Rev. J. T. Mayor officiating. (CGR Sept. 15, 1899)

Died, at his home in Valley township, on Saturday, Dec. 8, 1888, George W. Sexton, aged 24 years, five months and 21 days. He had been afflicted for months, with a malady that only death could cure, and although it was painful to see one so young, in the heyday of youth, stricken down, death had no terrors for him. He died in the full assurance of a blessed immortality. The funeral took place on Sunday, Dec. 8, and the remains were followed to their last resting place in Dunlap cemetery by a large concourse of mourning friends. (CGR Dec. 21, 1888)

Died, February 27, 1895, at her home on Wrights creek, Mrs. Elizabeth Sowers. wife of Samuel P. Sowers, age 76 years, 8 months and 21 days. She leaves an aged husband and three children, Mrs. L. Sargent, P. E. Sowers and Mrs. Brown Grant, and many friends, who mourn her loss. The funeral was held Thursday in M.P. church by Rev. Pierceall of the Dunkard church and remains buried in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR March 8, 1895)

Mrs. Spence (colored) died at her home Tuesday morning of dropsy. Mrs. Spence has lived here a long while and she leaves many relatives and friends to mourn her death. (CGR Sept. 14, 1905)

Mrs. H. W. Gildemeister was called to Yukon, Oklahoma, last Monday by a telegram announcing the death of her mother, Mrs. Mary A. Spencer. Mrs. Spencer died quite suddenly Monday morning. She was 82 years of age. (CGR Nov. 15, 1895)

Henry Steward, colored, died at his home in Dunlap last Saturday and was buried Sunday. (CGR May 11, 1894)

Word reached here today of the death of Mrs. Stilwell, nee Lurancy Steel, at Eureka, Kansas. She died this morning and her remains will be brought here for burial. Funeral services will take place from the Christian church tomorrow (Friday) at 2 o'clock p.m., Rev. W. J. Bryant officiating. The deceased is well known to Council Grove people having been raised here. She is a sister of Mrs. G. W. See. (CGR Nov. 30, 1900)

Death of W. R. Sutton--It was not a surprise to those who were familiar with the complicated ailments of the deceased to learn of his death, which occurred on Saturday night, March 2, at the German hospital in Kansas City, where he had been placed for care and treatment by Council Grove Lodge No. 48, l. O. O. F., assisted by the King�s Daughters of Kansas City. He had been in failing health for the past five or six years. Mr. Sutton came to Council Grove from near Kansas City in 1878. He was a painter by trade and lived here until about four years ago when he moved to the state of Washington on account of the poor health of himself and wife. His wife died in August, 1892. In the spring of 1894 Mr. Sutton returned to Kansas City very much broken in health. He had become a member of the order of Odd Fellows early in life in Missouri and in 1875 joined Council Grove Lodge, of which he was a member at the time of his death. He died within a short distance of where the family lived when he was a boy. His remains were brought here by E. J. Dill of this city and buried on Monday in Greenwood cemetery by the side of his former wife, who was a daughter of our late well known citizen, Dr. Dill. The burial ceremony was under the auspices of Council Grove Lodge No. 48 I. O. O. F. (CGR March 8, 1895)

Died, at Choteau, Indian Territory, Aug. 16th, of cholera infantum, Fleta, aged 16 months and 12 days, only daughter of J. W. and Jean Tedstone. The remains of little Fleta, followed by the young parents and other relatives, were brought here by express and placed in the silent tomb at Greenwood cemetery. Funeral services were held at the residence of Mr. W. R. Terwilliger, conducted by Rev. Comer. (CGR Aug. 24, 1883)

Died, July 4, 1894, Stanley Vickers, youngest child of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Vickers, age 4 years, 7 months and 29 days. The remains were buried Thursday in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR July 13, 1894)

Mrs. Kate Williams (colored) died Monday morning of billious lever. She had been sick but a short time and was laid to rest in the colored cemetery. (CGR July 26, 1901)

Mrs. Winn�s little Coe died at her home in north Dunlap Tuesday. Will be buried In the colored cemetery Wednesday. (CGR Sept. 21, 1900)

Died, Monday, Nov. 16, 1885, at home, one half mile west of Dunlap, Kansas, Mrs. Ann Henderson Wodke, aged 39 years and 3 months. She had lingered in great suffering for several months with a female disease, and under such circumstances her death can only be regarded as a blessing to her. Deceased leaves a family consisting of a husband and five children, who have the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement. Services were from the M.E. church on Tuesday afternoon, and the remains laid to rest in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR Nov. 27, 1885)

Penelope N. Stalnaker was born February 5th, 1818 in Randolph county, West Virginia, and was married to Wm. E. Wood October 12th, 1837; died January 14th, 1896 at her home five miles from Council Grove. In 1856 Wm. E. Wood and wife moved to Polk county, Iowa. After two years residence in Iowa and one in Missouri, they came to Morris county and settled on the farm in Neosho township where the remainder of their lives was spent. To them were born thirteen children, all of whom died in infancy except one, that one died at the age of ten years. Mother Wood gave her heart to God in her early youth and spent her long life in his service. Having lived a consistent, faithful christian life her end was peace. After funeral services held in the M. E. church January 15th. her body was laid to rest in Greenwood cemetery beside her husband who had preceeded her only ten months.�(CGR Jan. 24, 1896)

Roy, the two year old son of Mr. end Mrs. Henry Weaver, of this city, died Sunday morning after several weeks illness of pneumonia. Funeral services were held Monday after which interment took place in Four Mile cemetery, Rev. Gray officiating. (CGR Feb. 18, 1898)

M. B. Wright of Dunlap died July 25th at six a.m. of heart failure. Mr. Wright had not been well for some weeks but he had regained some strength and was doing some work in the shop every day. He had worked all day the day before his death and the people of this community were startled on Saturday morning to learn of his death. No man in this community could be missed more than our dear old Father Wright. He was always interested in church work, was a consistent member and a worthy deacon, and was beloved by all. His place will not be easily filled. The Lord has been very good to him and blessed him with a good long life. M. B. Wright was born in Canada August 11th, 1821, and had he lived until the 11th of next month would have been seventy-five years of age. His wife survives him, with whom he had lived almost fifty-two years. He leaves three children to mourn his loss: Wm. who lives on the Collins farm, Mrs. Moore of Kansas City and Mrs. Gramaline living in Florida. Also two brothers and one sister survive him. Robert of Council Grove, an older brother, a methodist preacher and a sister who is seventy-three years of age living in Can- ada. The funeral was held at the Congregational church Sunday morning. A great multitude turned out to partake in the last sad rites in honor of this grand and good man. Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord. Rev. W. R. Bair preached the funeral sermon and went to Council Grove and performed the burial rites. (CGR July 31, 1896)

John Yetman died September 23, 1894, at the home of his son, A. J. Yetman, and was buried Monday in the Dunlap cemetery. (CGR Sept. 28, 1894)

Return to Morris Co. KHHP

This website created July 10, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
� 2015 Kansas History and Heritage Project