Social, Fraternal and Professional Organizations
In compiling the lists below, I tried to only include articles that listed charter members, or at least officers.
INDEPENDENT ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS.
The Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Blue Rapids, was organized
October l0, 1893, with the following charter members: William H. Hill,
noble grand; J. B. Miller, vice-grand; D. O. Munger, secretary, and H. R.
Aleyer, Z. T. Trumbo, J. E. Mcintosh, D. F. Casey, W. L. Griffith, M. F.
Davis, J. H. Siebert, G. M. West. G. H. Heathman, H. G. Fowler, W. H.
Hewitt and J. H. McRae.
Pawnee Lodge No. 108, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Waterville,
was instituted October 15, 1873, with the following members: S. M. Wilhite, George Bancroft,
F. Damour, J. W. Sharrard, R. Smith, A. H. Snyder.
First officers: A. L. Johnson, noble grand; George Bancroft, vice-grand; J.
W. Sharrard, secretary, and F. F. Damour, treasurer.
Vermillion Lodge, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, was organized
in 1897, with the following charter members: W. P. Mesmer, Matt. McAtee,
Ernest Hill, Herbert Williams, W. S. Domer, David Bislan and the Stevenson brothers. Dr. John Clifton
located in Vermillion in 1899 gave much
time and effort to strengthen the lodge, but finally, for lack of funds the
charter was surrendered in 1906.
Odd Fellows Lodge No. ?, Frankfort, was organized on October 14,
1874. The charter members and officers were: F. B. Taylor, Sr., George
F. Poor, Henry Sleigh, T. H. Gibson, Granville Sleigh, J. L. Davis and
J. R. Voorhees.
Oketo Lodge No. 344, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was organized on July 6, 1888.
The charter members were: Samuel Bentley, noble
grand; F. W. Bartlett, secretary; Dell Stowell, vice-grand; D. B. Knight,
treasurer, and R. B. Brewer, N. Brooks, H. P. Benson and R. T. Baldwin.
Otoe Lodge No. 85, Independent Order of Odd Fellows was instituted
at Marysville under dispensation on February 14, 1872. A charter was
granted on October 8, 1872, with the following members: J. Doniphan,
noble grand; W. H. Richardson, vice-grand; J. A. Broughton; P. H. Peters,
financial secretary; G. D. Swearengen, treasurer; F. F. Thompson, J. S.
Magill, J. Donahue.
Blue Rapids Rebekah Lodge No. 337, was instituted on December 29,
1897, with thirty-two charter members.
The first officers were: Noble grand, Laura B. Fouler; vice-grand,
Adell G. Plehn ; secretary, Ella L Heathman; treasurer, Lottie Brown; conductor, Nellie Thompson;
warden, Minnie Hill; inside guardian, Allie Allerdice; outside guardian,
J. H. McRae; chaplain, Nettie Coulter; right supporter to noble grand,
Florence Ulsh; left supporter to noble grand,
Rachel Siebert; organist, Mildred Edinborough; right supporter to vice-grand, Jessie Allerdice;
left supporter to vice-grand, Nellie Boling.
The Rebekahs at Frankfort were organized December 27, 1897. The
officers were: Ophelia Bliss, noble grand; Emma Poor, vice-grand; Jennie
Piatt, secretary; Allie McMinimy, treasurer; Minnie Parks, conductress;
Belle Lefler, warden.
KNIGHTS OF PYTHIAS.
Blue Valley Lodge No. 182, Knights of Pythias, at Marysville, was
instituted March 4, 1889, on the evening of the day that Benjamin Harrison
was inaugurated President of the United States. Sam Kimble, deputy grand
chancellor, of Manhattan, Kansas, was the instituting officer and he was ably
assisted by members of Knights of Pythias lodges from his own and other
towns in this vicinity.
The membership of the new lodge comprised William Barks, past
chancellor; E. L. Miller, chancellor commander; E. D. White, vice-chancellor;
Robert Campbell, prelate; A. M. Billingsley, keeper of records and seal;
John B. Logan, master of finance; E. G. Draheim, master of exchequer;
Frank A. Arand, master at arms; G. Philip Schmidt, inner guard; Nickolas
Grauer, outer guard; L. W. Libby, Andrew Fluhrer and Dr. J. K. Julian,
trustees. The others were Herman Selz, Clark M. Stewart, Samuel Porter,
John Lonergan. Henry E. Wiedemeyer, Max Schreiber, John Luedders, A.
J. Becht, E. B. Gatchell, Ed. E. Tracy, G. Messall, E. J.
J. Jordan, W. T. Ecks and Charles D. Schmidt.
Sapphire Lodge No. 158, Knights of Pythias, was instituted in Irving
in November, 1891, with the following charter members: A. J. Carlson,
Theo. Gaylord, G. H. Giles. J. M. McCoy, Ira Sabins, S. J. Skoch, P. L.
Preston, R. S. Weeks, H. C. Lathrop, J. S. Waterson, C. L. Meyers, R. H.
Swanson, R. A. Harvey, J. J. Kropacek, C. S. Otis, A. H. Reed, W. M.
McCoy, Hugh Thompson, Edwin Reddington. Harry Baird, J. W. Johnson, L. C. Trustan and
In February, 1913, Mrs. C. M. Palmer built and gave to Sapphire lodge
the beautiful Castle Hall, which is the pride of the members and the town
of Irving. The hall is a two-story building, with the reading room, auditorium, kitchen and dining room on the first floor; the second floor has the
large and handsome lodge room, bedrooms and property room. Adjoining
the building is a beautiful park, also the gift of Mrs. Palmer. The building
has its own light plant, from which the park and building are lighted. Mrs.
Palmer was personally acquainted with J. H. Rathbone, the founder of the
order of Knights of Pythias.
ANCIENT ORDER UNITED WORKMEN.
This lodge was organized on September 15, 1880, at Marysville, with
sixteen charter members. The first officers were: A. E. Parks, past master
workman; J. B. Logan, master workman ; J. Brown, financier; C. W.
Thompson, outer watchman: W. S. Glass, overseer; W. B. Scamman, recorder: C.
H. Goelitzer, receiver. Members: H. E. Wiedemeyer, M. S. Shepard, J. F.
Renoe and E. G. Draheim.
Lodge No. 33, Frankfort, was organized on April 12, 1880. The
charter members were: W. H. Clutter, P. C. Garvin, H. H. Lourey, J. L.
Davis, T. W. Waddick, G. C. Brownell, W. H. Auld, J. R. Voorhees,
George O. Coffin, W. T. Dwinnell.
Waterville Lodge No. 57, Ancient Order of United Workmen, was
chartered on September 6, 1880, with the following members and first officers:
G. S. Hall, past master workman; H. E. Parmenter, master workman; H.
Humfreville, financier; C. F. Scouten, overseer; A. Kunz, recorder; F.
Gaver, foreman; F. H. Bancroft, receiver; W. R. Wilson, guide; T. Dockerty,
inner watchman ; F. Pieral, outer watchman.
MODERN WOODMEN OF AMERICA.
Blue Rapids Camp No. 944, Modern Woodmen of America, was organized in the spring of 1889,
although the official charter was not issued until
October 1, 1889. The first officers were: William Allerdice, venerable consul;
W. J. McNab, worthy advisor; J. O. Buell, banker; George M. Garrison,
clerk ; Horace Beardsley, escort; W. Y. Brown, watchman; S. Y. Richey,
sentry; Doctors Fillmore and Hunter, local physicians; J. B. Vincent, A.
D. Hoag and C. D. Richard, managers.
The charter members and officers of the Modern Woodmen lodge of
Frankfort were: J. L. Waterson, consul; Glen A. Smith, worthy advisor;
George F. Poor, banker; J. A. Weston, clerk; D. H. Wood, escort; M. W.
Taylor, watchman; M. A. Brawley, physician.
ROYAL NEIGHBORS OF AMERICA.
Nightingale Camp No. 498, Royal Neighbors of America, at Marysville,
was chartered January 19, 1897, with twenty members. The following officers
were elected: Oracle, Mrs. Kate Hatfield; vice-oracle, Mrs. Mary Funck;
recorder, Mamie Libby; receiver, Minerva Seely; chancellor, Hattie E. Lynde ;
marshal, Mrs. Mary Stewart; physician, Dr. W. R. Breeding; inner sentinel,
Mrs. Carrie Fleischman; managers, Mrs. Martha Simmons, May Hartman
and Helena Samter; past oracle, Martha Simmons.
Oketo Lodge of the Royal Neighbors was organized on December 9,
1896, in the Moore Hall, with twenty members. The first officers were:
Oracle, Mrs. Fanny B. Stein; vice oracle, Mrs. Laura Balderson; chancellor,
Mrs. Triplett; marshal, Mrs. Alice Chambers; recorder, Mrs. Belle Long;
receiver, Mrs. Lizzie Hedge; inner sentinel, Mrs. Mary Bach; outer sentinel,
Mrs. Etta Chambers; managers, Mrs. Allen, Miss Mae Esterbrook, Ira B.
Fern Camp No. 540, Royal Neighbors, Blue Rapids, was instituted on
February 17, 1895, with thirty-five charter members.
The first officers were: Oracle, Elnora Gilson; vice-oracle, Nettie
Coulter; recorder, Ella I. Heathman ; receiver, Emma Benedict; chancellor,
Jeannie W. Yarrick; marshal, Annie Watkins; assistant marshal Julia C.
Hewitt; physicians, Drs. Elnora Gilson and R. S. Fillmore; inner sentinel,
Ada L. Fillmore; outer sentinel, Martha McRae; past oracle, Nettie W.
Winifred Royal Neighbor Camp was organized November 1, 1912.
Charter members : Margaret Adams, Inez Barrett, Anna M. Carver, Margaret A. Twidwell,
Cora L. Dierking, Margaret Feldhausen, Josephine
Griffee, Ella Alartin, Cora L. Mathews, Sarah Patzka, Maud Rakestraw,
Bertha Rakestraw, Maud Smith, Minnie Carver, Bertha Flinn, Lois G. Tilley,
Ada Tilley, Emma Tilley, Sarah Snow, Annette Walker, Jennie Williams,
First Officers: Oracle, Miss Cora Mathews; vice-oracle, Mrs. Anna
Twidwell; past oracle, Mrs. Margaret Feldhausen; chancellor, Mrs. Emma
Tilley; recorder. Bertha Rakestraw; marshal, Inez Barrett; assistant marshal,
Lois Tilley; inner sentinel, Maud Rakestraw; outside sentinel, Cora
Concord Camp No. 1088, Royal Neighbors of America, was instituted
on August 2, 1898, by Mrs. McDavis. The charter was granted on August
The first officers were: Oracle, Leona Kern ; vice-oracle, Emma
McMichaels; recorder, Effie Arnold ; receiver, Ida Duffy; chancellor, Maggie
Bullard; marshal, Edith Leonard; inner sentinel, Celia Bailey; outer sentinel,
Mary Card; manager, Hattie Thompkins; physician, H. L. Bullard.
KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF SECURITY.
Blue Rapids Council No. 66, Knights and Ladies of Security, was
organized on February 20, 1894, at Blue Rapids.
The charter officers were: President, James Allerdice; vice-president,
Mrs. Jennie Yarick; second vice-president, Mrs. Belle Hamilton; prelate,
William R. Lewis; secretary, Mrs. Ella Hunt; financier, C. A. Axtel; treasurer.
I. D. Yarick; guard, John L. Hamiltnn; sentinel, Horace S. Beardsley;
trustees, A. W. Arnott, George Gallup and M. Patterson.
KNIGHTS OF HONOR.
The Knights of Honor was organized at Vermillion on September 13,
1892, with J. L. Mathers, commander; G. W. Kelley. recorder and W. S.
Domer, treasurer. There were fifteen members in the organization, which
later disbanded and took membership elsewhere.
DEGREE OF HONOR.
Garden Lodge No. 21, Degree of Honor, was organized on March 5,
1886, with the following officers: Miss Belle Throm, lady of honor; Mrs.
R. D. Gerow, chief of honor; Mrs. M. S. Shepard, chief of ceremonies; J.
B. Logan, recorder; G. H. Goelitzer, financier; E. G. Draheim, receiver; Mrs.
Gus Luhrs, usher ; George Reber, inside watch ; William Henry, outside watch.
KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS.
Marysville Council 1777, Knights of Columbus, is an organization of
Catholic men whose object is to promote Catholic education and charity, to
furnish aid to families of deceased members through its insurance department;
to promote patriotism by proper observation of national patriotic days
and anniversaries, and to support and encourage every movement which tends
to better citizenship.
Marysville council was organized on February 7, 1914, by James Barlow with
fifty charter members. The first officers were: Grand knight,
James Barlow; deputy grand knight, Joseph Dwerlkottee; financial secretary,
J. H. Cavanaugh; treasurer, M. J. Treinen, Jr.; recording secretary, Joseph
Schulte; warden, Ferdinand Wassenberg; chancellor, John Tracy; advocate,
P. G. Wadham; inner guard, J. F. Martin; outer guard, August Wassenberg;
trustees, D. J. Donahy, M. Barlow, Jr., and A. J. Travelute.
FRATERNAL AID UNION.
The Fraternal Aid Union at Frankfort was organized in September, 1896.
The members were: George H. Ferguson, Robert S. McGhie, Annette
Taylor, W. W. Taylor, Rodenna WilHams, James M. Lane, T. Brodt, Frank
D. Bhss, Thomas C. Horr, Clemens T. Hessell, Matt McKeon, Adelia C.
Taylor, William J. Granger, Cora E. Granger, Fred A. Garvin, Edward
The Triple Tie Benefit Association, of Blue Rapids (now known as
Fraternal Aid Union No. 759) was instituted on April 11, 1897, with forty-one charter members.
The first officers were: President, Fred A. Stocks; vice-president, Mrs.
Frances Strong; past president, Z. T. Trumbo; secretary, George Coulter;
conductor, Julia M. Cheney; treasurer, E. A. Garrison; chaplain, Horace
Beardsley; inner sentinel, Ira Jewell ; guard, A. B. Wagor; physician. Doctor Plehn.
MASONRY AND EASTERN STAR
FRANKFORT LODGE No. 67
The most worshipful grand master
of the Masons granted dispensation for several lodges in Kansas before it
was a state, and the grand lodge of Kansas was organized by representatives
from three of those lodges in Leavenworth on March 17, 1856. Twelve
years later the grand master granted a dispensation on March 28, 1868, and
a lodge was organized in the farmhouse of A. G. Barrett in the southeast
part of Marshall county, near where Barrett station is now located. The
members continued to meet in the little farmhouse all summer.
On account of unmasonic conduct, committed by a few of the members,
this, Marshall county's first Masonic lodge, was deserted by the better element and the charter was forfeited.
In 1877 a new lodge was organized under a new charter with the same
old name and number and Frankfort Lodge No. 67 became, and has ever
since remained, one of the prosperous and honored lodges of the county.
The first master of the old lodge was A. G. Barrett and the first master
of the present lodge was S. B. Todd, with F. J. Snodgrass, senior warden;
E. Brady, junior warden; S. J. McKee, treasurer; W. L. Sanders, secretary;
P. C. Carver, senior deacon; Joseph Whitley, junior deacon; H. B. Massie,
SUTTON LODGE NO. 85, WATERVILLE.
The historical statement that gives November 3, 1869, is the date of the
dispensation for Sutton lodge with E. A. Berry. H. C. Whistler and J. D.
Wilson, makes no mention of any meeting, under dispensation. The record
states that the lodge was instituted June 1, 1870, with the following officers:
E. A. Berry, worthy master; W. C. Johnson, senior warden; W. P. Mudgett,
junior warden; F. Spaulding, treasurer; G. B. VrooM, secretary; F. Leach,
senior deacon; J. D. Farwell. junior deacon.
MARYSVILLE LODGE NO. 91 (aka HARMONY LODGE)
Under date of March 22, 1870, nine a. m., there is a statement that
a dispensation had been received and a call for the brethren to assemble,
and on the next page under date of March 22, 1870, are the secretary's
minutes of the first meeting and organization of the lodge under the name
of Harmony Lodge U. D. with nine members. The officers were: Peter
H. Peters, worthy master; Perry Hutchinson, senior warden; Absalom Jester,
junior warden; James S. Magill, secretary; Thomas McCoy, treasurer;
Elijah Bentley, senior deacon; David Wolf, junior deacon; J. M. Carter,
tyler, and Brother Joseph Samuels as the only member not an officer.
The lodge continued to work under a dispensation until the fall meeting of the grand lodge. October 20, 1870, when a charter was granted and
on November 3, 1870, at a stated communication, Deputy Grand Master
E. D. Hillyer informed the lodge that a charter had been granted and the
name changed to Marysville Lodge No. 91. The following officers were
elected under the charter, and were installed by the deputy grand master:
P. H. Peters, worshipful master; P. Hutchinson, senior warden; Joseph
Samuels, junior warden; A. J. Edwards, treasurer; J. S. Magill, secretary;
E. Bentley, senior deacon; D. Wolf, junior deacon; G. Borgman, senior
steward; R. Y. Shibley, junior steward; I. B. Davis, tyler.
The new lodge under the charter started with the original nine members and seven new master Masons, who had been raised by the lodge under
dispensation: A. G. Edwards. J. Borgman, F. Garrety, E. Hanka, J. Lockwood, I. B. Davis, R. Y. Shibley. Besides these sixteen master Masons,
the lodge had several entered apprentices and fellowcraft members. The
lodge continued to grow in membership and proficiency, rejecting many
applications for membership and expelling others, because they were believed to be defective timber, or not properly prepared for the temple.
ROSTER OF OFFICERS OF MARYSVILLE LODGE NO. 91.
In the following list the name of the worshipful master appears first;
next, that of senior warden, junior warden, treasurer and secretary, in order
given throughout, from 1870 to 1910:
1870 — P. H. Peters, P. Hutchinson, Absalom Jester, Thomas McCoy,
J. S. Magill.
1870 — P. H. Peters, P. Hutchinson, J. Samuels, A. G. Edwards, J. S.
1871 — P. H. Peters, P. Hutchinson, E. Bentley, A. G. Edwards, J. S.
1872 — P. H. Peters, A. G. Edwards, I. B. Davis, James Smith, C. F.
1873 — P. H. Peters, A. G. Edwards, F. F. Thompson, C. F. Koester,
1874 — F. F. Thompson, C. F. Koester, I. B. Davis, H. S. Clark, E.
1875 — P. H. Peters, A. G. Edwards, J. R. Voorhees, H. S. Clark, E.
1876 — F. F. Thompson, A. G. Edwards, I. B. Davis, H. S. Clark, M.
1877 — A. G. Edwards, E. Hutchinson, M. Balgue. H. S. Clark, J. S.
1878 — E. Hutchinson, C. F. Koester, A. Hohn, H. S. Clark, J. B.
1879 — E. Hutchinson, F. F. Thompson, A. Hohn, H. S. Clark, J. B.
1880— E. Hutchinson. A. Hohn, D. Wolf, H. S. Clark, J. B. Winkler.
1881— I. B. Davis, G. B. Bullock, F. J. Pierce, H. S. Clark. J. Merklinghaus.
1882— C. F. Koester, F. F. Thompson, C. T. Mann, H S. Clark, J. M.
1883 — F. F. Thompson, W. B. Scamon, C. B. Wilson, H. S. Clark, C.
1884 — F. F. Thompson, J. McCoy, J. Lonergan, H. S. Clark, J. m.
1885 — F. F. Thompson, A. Hohn, J. Lonergan, H. S. Clark, E. R. Fulton.
1886 — F. F. Thompson, J. Lonergan, J. A. Davis, H. S. Clark, E. R.
1887— C. B. Wilson, C. Brown, E. R. Fulton, H. S. Clark, H. Selz.
1888— C. Brown, E. R. Fulton, C. D. Schmidt, M. Barlow, George
1889— E. R. Fulton, C. D. Schmidt, C. H. Shafer, M. Barlow, C. A.
1890— E. R. Fulton, C. D. Schmidt. C. H. Shafer, M. Barlow, C. A.
1891— C. D. Schmidt, C. H. Shafer, F. Powell, M. Barlow, Alex.
1892— C. D. Schmidt. C. H. Shafer, F. Powell, M. Barlow, Alex.
1893 — P. Powell, J. Lonergan, Alex. Schmidt, M. Barlow, George
1894— C. D. Schmidt, E. A. Bittel, John Otto, M. Barlow, F. V. Shaw.
1895 — E. R. Fulton, J. Montgomery, C. A. Hammett, M. Barlow, F.
1896 — J. Montgomery, C. A. Hammett, J. I. Schloss, M. Barlow, F.
1897— C. B. Wilson, J. L Schloss, W. Lonergan, M. Barlow. F. V.
1898 — J. L Schloss, W. Lonergan, C. H. Davis, M. Barlow, F. V.
1899 — ]. L Schloss, W. Lonergan, C. H. Davis, AL Barlow, F. V.
1900. H. Davis, F. G. Powell, Alex. Schmidt. M. Barlow. F. V.
1901 — F. G. Powell, Alex. Schmidt, Arthur Hohn, M. Barlow, F. V.
1902 — C. A. Hammett, Arthur Hohn, R. W. Hemphill, M. Barlow, F.
1903 — Arthur Hohn, I. B. Davis, S. C. Schmidt, M. Barlow, J. Montgomery.
1904 — L. E. Davis, S. C. Schmidt, E. A. Hohn, A. G. Shepard, F. V.
1905 — S. C. Schmidt, AI. C. Peters, L. H. Hammett, A. G. Shepard,
F. V. Shaw.
1906 — M. C. Peters, R. Hawkins, E. L. Miller, A. G. Shepard, F. V.
1907 — R. Hawkins. J. M. Ross, H. F. Whitten, A. G. Shepard, F. V.
1908— J. M. Ross, H. F. Whitten, L. H. Eddy, A. G. Shepard, M. W.
1909— H. F. Whitten, L. H. Eddy, H. W. Hoyer, A. G. Shepard, C. H.
1910 — H. W. Hoyer, W. E. Cottrell, J. E. Andrews, A. G. Shepard,
L. E. Davis.
AXTELL LODGE NO. 234.
Axtell lodge was chartered on February 19, 1885, with D. W. Acker,
worshipful master: C. B. Thummel, senior warden; C. D. Russell, junior warden; P. S. Wheeler, secretary; C. Anderson, treasurer.
VERMILLION LODGE NO. 32O.
Vermillion lodge was organized and worked for about a year under a
dispensation, and was chartered on February 20, 1889. First officers:
George W. Kelley, worthy master; B. F. Johnson, senior warden; R. L.
McBride, junior warden; N. B. Hall, secretary; H. E. Turner, treasurer;
W. S. Domer, senior deacon ; G. W. Warren, junior deacon; S. A. Hall,
tyler, and John L. Mathers, W. S. Stowell, A. V. Thomas, Daniel Fuget,
R. V. Coulter, J. F. Bensley, J. S. Dodson, Leonard Coulter, John Van Vliet,
members. The first regular communication was held in the old school house.
SUMMERFIELD LODGE NO. 354.
Upon petition of twenty-seven master Masons a dispensation was granted
on June 5, 1895, and on June 21, Summerfield lodge was organized U. D.
with the following officers and members : William F. Rittershouse, worthy
master; John E. Mann, senior warden; Frank Thomann, junior warden;
Henry D. Maitland. secretary; James H. Bonon, treasurer; Robert W. Hemphill,
senior deacon; Jacob Hoffman, junior deacon; Fred R. Joseph, senior
steward; James McCaughey, junior steward; Charles S. Evans, tyler, and
John A. Gallant, WilHam Johnston, William A. Fleming, Alonzo O. Gerhart,
Benjamin W. Smith, Frank P. Glick, George S. Smith, Peter Appleby,
John L. Magaw, James Hemphill, members.
A charter was issued on February 19, 1896, and the lodge was organized
on March 4, 1896, at which time D. Walker, deputy grand master,
installed the following officers: Frederick Rittershouse, worshipful master;
John E. Mann, senior warden; Frank Thomann, junior warden ; James Bonon,
treasurer; Henry Maitland, secretary; R. W. Hemphill, senior deacon; Jacob
Hoffman, junior deacon; Fred R. Joseph, senior steward; J. G. McCaughey,
junior steward; E. V. Allen, chaplain; C. S. Evans, tyler.
BLUE RAPIDS LODGE NO. 169.
Blue Rapids lodge was instituted on October i8, 1876, with the following
charter members and officers : A. J. Brown, worshipful master ; C. W.
Farrington, senior warden; S. Hill, junior warden; W. Burr, treasurer;
D. W. Hinman, secretary; members, N. Halstead, C. Holman, L A.
Chandler, A. N. Taylor, D. Minium, J. P. Peck and R. S. Craft.
MARYSVILLE CHAPTER NO. 29.
The first meeting of the chapter was held under dispensation July 6, 1875.
The officers appointed at the first meeting were: William P. Mudgett, high
priest; N. P. Hotchkiss, king; Fillmore L. Dow, scribe; Robert Campbell,
captain of the host; R. L. Weeks, principal sojourner; F. L. Dow, Sr.,
treasurer; T. C. Powell, secretary ; W. : A. Thurston, royal arch captain ; Francis
Baird, master of third veil; George R. Kelly, master of second veil; F. J.
Faulkner, master first veil; B. W. Curtis, guard.
A charter was granted on October 20, 1875, and the first meeting under
the charter was held on November 16, 1875. The following officers were
installed : W. P. Mudgett, high priest; W. P. Hotchkiss, king; F. L. Dow,
scribe ; F. F. Dow, treasurer ; Charles F. Koester, secretary; J. F. Voorhees,
captain of the host; Cal. T. Mann, principal sojourner; L C. Legere, royal
arch captain; George E. Kelly, master of third veil; F. J. Faulkner, master of
second veil; W. F. Boyakin, master of first veil; John Lockwood, guard.
Members present, P. H. Peters, John Means.
CORINTHIAN COMMANDERY NO. 40.
Letters of dispensation were granted on July 17, 1893, to the following;
Edward Hutchinson, Fred Powell, August Hohn, Frank G. Powell, Charles
B. Wilson, Edgar Ross Fulton, Charles F. Koester, Charles D. Schmidt,
Amos W. Kirkwood, Simeon J. Gillis, John B. Simminger, Omar Powell,
Edward B. Fox, Harry J. Diffenbaugh, Thomas B. Fredendall, William
Jacobs, Marion Hawk, William E. Haur, G. A. Seaman, A. J. Brunswig, Cal.
T. Mann and Daniel Spence.
A charter was granted on May 8, 1894, and at the first meeting held
under the charter the following knights were installed: Edward Hutchinson,
eminent commander; August Hohn, generalissimo; Charles D. Schmidt, captain general;
Fred Powell, prelate; Edgar Ross Fulton, senior warden; Charles
B. Wilson, jnnior warden: Charles F. Koester, treasurer; Frank G. Powell,
recorder; Andrew M. Fluhrer, standard bearer: John Lonergan, sword bearer;
Elijah Rentley, sentinel. Members: Isaac B. Davis, Chauncy S. Chapman,
Stewart Clarke, T. L Hatfield, R. B. Moore, Robert Campbell; Emmett A.
Bittell, J. Norton Abbott, F. J. Faulkner, G. A. Seaman, Lewis E. Helvern,
Perry Hutchinson, Arthur J. Whitmore, August Jaedicke, Jr., Frederick
Ehrke, August Soller, Herman O. Jaenicke, Joseph G. Lowe, Theo. H.
Parrish, Henry M. Mueller, James Madison Howell and William James Burr.
HILDA CHAPTER #164, ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR
In the first book of the secretary's record of Hilda Chapter No. 164,
Marysville, under date of July 17, 1894, is a statement that Mrs. P. W.
Hutchinson, Mrs. M. S. Goodwin, Mrs. Mary Kirkwood, Mrs. Haddie Davis,
Mrs. Viola Shaw, Mrs. Mary Campbell, Mrs. Kate Hatfield, Mrs. Delia Bittell,
Miss Lillian Edwards, Edward Hutchinson. G. Goodwin. A. W. Kirkwood,
F. V. Shaw, T. I. Hatfield. Jacob Schloss, I. B. Davis, Robert Campbell,
E. A. Bittell. Charles H. Schmidt, and Edgar Ross Fulton signed and sent a
petition to John E. Postlethwaite, grand patron of the order of Eastern Star
of Kansas, asking for a dispensation.
It is further stated that a favorable reply had been received with blanks
and instructions, and that on motion, Robert Campbell was elected chairman,
F. V. Shaw, secretary; Mrs. P. W. Hutchinson, worthy matron, and R.
Campbell, worthy patron; Mrs. Haddie Davis, associate matron. The blanks
were filled out as instructed and with a check for ten dollars, returned to
the grand patron and the meeting adjourned after resolving that Miss Hilda
Marquardt, of Hanover chapter, be requested to come and organize the new
chapter, and that she be commissioned by the grand chapter for that purpose,
and also that the chapter be named Hilda, in her honor.
The dispensation was under date of July 28, 1894, and the records show
that Hilda Chapter No. 164 was duly organized and the following officers
installed under the grand chapter of the Order of Eastern Star of Kansas:
Mrs. P. W. Hutchinson, worthy matron; R. Campbell, worthy patron; Haddie
Davis, associate matron; E. R. Fulton, secretary; F. V. Shaw, treasurer;
Mary Campbell, conductress ; Delia Bittell, associate conductress; Mrs. G.
Goodwin, chaplain; Miss Lillian Edwards, Adah; Mary Kirkwood, Ruth;
Viola A. Shaw, Esther; M. S. Goodwin, Martha; Kate Hatfield, Electa;
J. J. Schloss, warder; T. L Hatfield, sentinel. Four petitions for degrees
were received at this meeting. The date of the charter is May 16, 1895.
ELNORA CHAPTER, O.E.S., BLUE RAPIDS
Elnora Chapter, Order of the Eastern Star, was instituted at Blue
Rapids, February 6, 1896, by Elnora Gilson, with the following charter
members: Elnora F. L. Gilson, A. E. Winter, Ella B. Wilcox, Kittie E. Winter,
Jessie A. Cheney, Julia C. Hewitt, Cora Hall, Ella Heathman. Julia M.
Cheney, Phoebe Hawk, Wash Hawk, Ida McNab, W. A. Gilson, E. Russell
Cheney, Sadie L. Wanamaker, Jennie E. Stearns, Luella M. Trumbo, J. T.
Trumbo, J. Grace Morgan and Edith Nevins.
The first officers were: Elnora Gilson, worthy matron; A. E. Winter,
worthy patron; Ella B. Wilcox, associate matron; Sadie L. Wanamaker,
secretary; Jessie Cheney, conductress; Kittie Winter, treasurer; Julia C.
Hewitt, associate conductress ; Jack T. Trumbo, chaplain; Cora Hall, Adah;
Ella L. Heathman, Ruth; Jennie Stearns, Esther; Ella Trumbo, Martha;
Julia Cheney, Electa; Wash Hawk, sentinel; Grace Morgan, marshal; Ida
McNab, organist; Phoebe Hawk, warder.
PALACE CHAPTER NO. 174, O.E.S., FRANKFORT
Palace Chapter No. 174, Eastern Star, was organized in the Masonic
hall, Frankfort, June 19, 1895. The first officers were: Winifred Holtam,
worthy matron; Walter H. Lewis, worthy patron; Ella Lane, assistant
matron; Marion Whittaker, conductress; Addie M. Brandenburg, associate
conductress; Emma Lewis, treasurer; R. E. Trosper, secretary; Nettie Taylar, chaplain;
Amanda Horr, Adah; Hattie Busby, Ruth; A. C. Brawley,
Esther; K. E. Trosper, Martha; Annie E. Souders, Electa; Mary E. Bliss,
warder; Albert Busby, sentinel.
CORDELIA CHAPTER NO. 247, O.E.S., VERMILLION
Cordelia Chapter No. 247, Order of the Eastern Star, at Vermillion, was
instituted in April, 1901. by Grand Worthy Matron Cordelia Bittell, with
eighteen charter members. The first officers were: Lucy Woodman,
worthy matron; G. W. Warren, worthy patron; Elizabeth Hall, associate
matron; Anna De Walt, secretary; Carrie Arnold, treasurer; Clarissa Weeks,
conductress; Maggie Warren, conductress.
Return to Marshall Co. KHHP
This website created July 4, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© 2011 Kansas History and Heritage Project