Marshall County Churches
Memorial Presbyterian, Marysville
Memorial Presbyterian church at Marysville was organized on October
16, 1870, by Rev. Charles Parker, the noted blind preacher of Irving, Kansas.
The original records of this church written by Edward Hutchinson, read
as follows :
"This was in the year rendered memorable in the history of American
Presbyterianism by the union of the old school and new school branches of
the Presbyterian church at the United Assembly meeting at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Meantime,
the old and new school synods of Kansas united and
held their first session at Topeka. July 12, 1870, with Rev. Joseph G. Reaser,
moderator, and Rev. John L. Chapman, stated clerk. Also, the old school
presbytery of Highland and the new school presbytery of Smoky Hill, were
united wholly or in part, occupying substantially the same territory of each
of the old presbyteries, under the name of the presbytery of Highland."
Very fittingly, then, under such historical auspices this church appropriated
to itself the name of the Memorial Presbyterian church of Marysville.
The following were the first members of the church: Mrs. Amanda
Parker, Charles Pritchard, Edward Hutchinson, Mrs. Eliza Morrill, Mrs.
Annie S. Fisher, Mr. and Mrs. Peter A. Reed. Peter A. Reed and Edward
Hutchinson were ordained ruling elders. E. Hutchinson was elected clerk,
which office he held until 1879. First trustees were: P. A. Reed, Edward
Hutchinson, James S. Magill and J. A. Broughton. Rev. A. H. Lilly, a
non-resident pastor, supplied the pulpit from the spring to the fall of 1871.
The corner stone for the new church was laid on June 8, 1872, by the
Masons and Odd Fellows, no minister of the Gospel being present. The
church was dedicated on September 18, 1874.
The first regular pastor was Rev. E. G. Fish, who remained six months.
The first members to be admitted on profession of faith were Alexander
Campbell and Isabella, his wife.
On April 14, 1872, Rev. Frank E. Sheldon began his pastorate and it
was largely through his efforts that the church was built. The services at
that time were held in an upper room of the new stone school building,
which was erected in 1866. Title to the present site of the church was procured in February, 1871,
and contract for its erection was let on April 10,
Mr. and Mrs. Perry Hutchinson, Rufus Edwards, T. W. Waterson,
Frank Schmidt and C. F. Koester, although not members of the church,
contributed largely to its erection and maintenance.
Return to Marshall Co. KHHP
This website created July 4, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© 2011 Kansas History and Heritage Project