Marshall County Biographies
BURTON MARSHALL WINTER.
Burton Marshall Winter, one of the best-known and most successful stock-breeders in northern Kansas and the proprietor of a fine farm, the old
Winter homestead, in Wells township, this county, is a native of the great
Empire state, but has been a resident of Kansas ever since he was eight years
of age and has therefore seen Marshall county develop from its pioneer state.
He was born in the city of Buffalo, New York, August 22, 1864, son of John
Marshall and Sarah Boyd ( Goodman ) Winter, both natives of that same
state, who later came to Kansas and established themselves on a homestead
farm in this county, where the former spent his last days and where the latter is still living.
John Marshall Winter was born in Warren county, New York, May
21, 1832, a son of Moses Winter, a native of Massachusetts, of old Colonial
stock, and on November 12, 1856, was united in marriage, in Warren county,
to Sarah Boyd Goodman who was born in that same county, April 6, 1834,
daughter of Samuel and Lovice (Turtle) Goodman, also of old New England stock, tracing back to the "Mayflower" contingent, members of the
family also having rendered service in the patriot army during the Revolutionary War. John M. Winter established his home in the city of Buffalo,
where he lived until 1872, when, on account of the failing state of his wife's
health, he came to Kansas with his family and settled in Marshall county.
Upon his arrival here Mr. Winter bought a piece of land near Blue Rapids,
but was not satisfied with that location and presently bought a homesteader's
right to an "eighty" in Wells township, of which he took possession in March,
1872, and later bought an adjoining "eighty" of railroad land, still later buying another adjoining tract of eighty acres, thus giving him a fine farm of
two hundred and forty acres, which he developed and on which he for years
gave much attention to the raising of registered live stock, with particular
attention to Hereford cattle, and did very well. On that pioneer farm John
M. Winter spent his last days, his death occurring on April 10, 1902. To
him and his wife were born three children, of whom the subject of this
sketch is now the only survivor, the others having been Nancy, who died in
infancy, and Catlin Goodman, who died at the age of twenty-six years. Mr.
and Mrs. Winter, in October, 1883, took into their home as an adopted
daughter a four-year-old girl, Madge Fay Walrath, who subsequently assumed the name of Winter. On October 2, 1901, she was married to John
A. Boyd, and lives in Irving, this county, where Mr. Boyd is a farmer and
also rural route mail carrier.
Burton M. Winter was but eight years of age when his parents came to
this county and his schooling, which had been begun in the schools of Buffalo,
was completed in the school in district No. 7, in the neighborhood of his new
home in this county. He grew to manhood on the home farm and has lived
there ever since, with the exception of one year spent in Arizona, in 1904,
he having gone there seeking betterment of health through a change of
climate. After the death of his father in 10,02. Mr. Winter assumed charge
of the old home farm and is now proprietor of the same, a fine tract of land,
with his home on the original homestead "eighty" in Wells township, the
remaining quarter section lying over the line in Bigelow township. Following his father's example Mr. Winter has continued the breeding of registered
Hereford cattle and has a fine herd, now numbering thirty-four head, the
products of his cattle barns being disposed of to special buyers and to large
breeders, the reputation of the Winter herd having been well established
throughout this part of the country ever since John M. Winter founded the
herd on his farm in November, 1875, the foundation of that herd having
been a registered Hereford heifer he bought at the Woodward sale on Elm
creek, the original stock having been brought into this state from Ohio about
1872. John M. Winter continued breeding and had a large herd at the time
of his death, his sales over this part of the state having done much during
the years of his activity toward improving the strain of cattle in this section.
In [904 Burton Al. Winter disposed of his herd and went to Arizona, but
upon his 'return from there a year later renewed the herd and has ever since
given close attention to the same. For several years and at the time the
original Winter herd was sold in 1904, the famous "Theodore" was the head
of the herd and since renewing his herd in 1905, Air. Winter has had several
notable sires, the present leader of his herd being "Simoon, No. 102857";
dam, "Lakeview Queen VIII, No. 204372." Former heads of his herd
were "Go On VI, No. 219256", "Albert, No. 368527", from the William
Acker herd, and "Sir Simoon XLVII, No. 451694". Mr. Winter has a
splendid herd of Herefords, gets good prices for his stock and makes a proper
profit on his sales.
On March 21, 1900, Burton M. Winter was united in marriage to Effie
A. Young, who was born in Ohio on April 20, 1868, daughter of Albert and
Mary I. (Bird) Young, the former a native of the state of New York and
the latter of Ohio, who moved from the latter state to Minnesota in 1874
and thence, in 1876, to Kansas, locating at Frankfort, where Mr. Young
became engaged as a stationary engineer. He formerly had been engaged
as a locomotive engineer on the Rock Island railroad. His wife, who was
born in December. 1845, died at her home in Frankfort on February 20,
1896, and the next year, 1807, be went to Arkansas, where he since has made
his home. He was born on May 31, 1845. Mr. and Mrs. Winter have an
adopted son. Donald Marshall, who was born on January 22, 1909. They
attend the Presbyterian church and take a proper interest in the general
social activities of the community in which they live. Mr. Winter is a
member of the Farmers Union, of the Anti-Horse-Thief Association and
of the American Hereford Breeders Association, in the affairs of which
organizations he takes a warm and active interest.
Return to Marshall Co. KHHP
This website created July 4, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
© 2011 Kansas History and Heritage Project