Kansas History and Heritage Project-Jewell County History

Jewell County History


A New Centennial History of Kansas, Charles Tuttle, 1876:

Jewell County was organized in 1870, and named in honor of a lieutenant colonel who died of wounds received in the engagement at Cane Hill in November, 1862. The area of the county is 900 square miles, and the population in 1875 was 7,651. Males preponderate about 600. Farming occupies about ninety per cent, of the population. Bottom lands amount to six per cent, of the area, and forest about three per cent. The Republican River runs about ten miles along the northern boundary, and the other principal streams are White Rock creek, Johns, Big Timber, Porcupine, Smith, Montana, Walnut, Burr Oak, Buffalo, Limestone, and numerous smaller creeks and streams. Springs are numerous, and well water is found at depths varying from six to one hundred feet; but the average is about twenty-five. Good coal has been much sought here, but only a poor lignite discovered about twenty inches in thickness. Magnesian limestone is found in many places, and sandstone is also found occasionally. In the southeast corner of the county is a salt marsh, but it has not been developed. There are no railroads in this county. Jewell Centre, the county seat, is l00 miles northwest from Topeka; it is built on a beautiful plain, and has a weekly paper, a large school house, churches and nurseries. There are no water powers available, and manufacturies are represented by one steam saw mill at White Mound township. Jewell city publishes a weekly paper. There are no banks in the county. There are 118 districts and 44 school houses valued at $26,259. There is only one church, built by the Methodists at a cost of $806. Jewell county suffered much, from the locusts, as 1,500 persons were reported wanting rations.




This website created Oct. 24, 2011 by Sheryl McClure.
2011 Kansas History and Heritage Project