Kansas History and Heritage Project--Ford County History

Ford County History
"A New Centennial History of Kansas," Charles Tuttle, 1876


Ford County was organized in 1873, being named in honor of Brig. Gen. Ford. The area is 1,008 square miles; population in 1875, 813, with a preponderance of males as of 626 to 187. Dodge City, the county seat, is in one sense the county also. There are no banks, no libraries, no newspaper, no church edifices, and one school building, valued with all appurtenances at $1,525. There is only one tannery at Dodge City to represent manufactures in the county. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Eailroad has a station at Dodge City. The county seat is 251 miles southwest from Topeka, and the whole population of Ford county is centered in that township. One-fifth of the county is bottom land, and there is only one per cent, of forest. The principal streams are the Arkansas river, Mulberry, Duck, Sawlog, Crooked, and other unnamed creeks. Springs and well water abound. Coal is indicated, but no great discoveries have been made. Good limestone is found near Fort Dodge. The county received no help after the locust plague.



Return to Ford Co. KHHP



This website created March 9, 2012 by Sheryl McClure.
2011-2012 Kansas History and Heritage Project