Kansas History and Heritage Project--Douglas County Obituaries

Douglas County Obituaries

Obituaries published after 1923 will be abstracted to avoid copyright violations.

The funeral of Mrs. Mary S. Akers was held at the First Methodist church at Baldwin, yesterday, Rev. Rice conducting the service. Mrs. Akers came to Kansas in 1856 and taught in the Lawrence schools. After the Price raid she enlisted an a hospital nurse. In 1868 she married Rev. J. W. Akers, and at the latter's death in 1880, moved to Lawrence and subsequently to Baldwin, where she died. She was a sister of M. J. Shepherd of Wakarusa, and three children survive her. The son is teaching the Washington Creek school, and the younger sister is teaching in the Baldwin public schools. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 4, 1894)

Henry Altenberne, aged 45 years, died early this morning of dropsy of the heart. Funeral arrangements have not yet been made.(Lawrence Daily World, Friday, June 1, 1906)

Mrs. Ida Ray Anderson, a former resident of this neighborhood (Woodstock) died at her home in Laramie, Wyoming on Nov. 5. She was 60 years of age. Burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery in Laramie. She is survived by her husband, Frank of the home; a son, Lawrence S., of the home; a daughter, Mrs. Dorothy O'Brien of Laramie; her mother, Mrs. Rachel Buckminster, her sister Miss Addie Buckminster, and brothers Robert and Fred Buckminster, all of Lawrence. (abstract, Lawrence Journal-World, Sept. 15, 1938)

Mrs. L. M. Anderson, sister of O. D. Pickens of this city, died at 8 o'clock this morning in Spring Hill, Kansas. The body will be brought here on the noon train tomorrow, with funeral arrangements to be announced tomorrow. (Lawrence Journal World, Dec. 6, 1909)

Mrs. Sylvia S. Alford died last Thursday at the home of her daughter, Miss Ida Alford, 1131 Ohio street. The deceased is the mother of D. S. Alford She has been seriously ill for three weeks past. Arrangements for the funeral have not yet been made. (Lawence Weekley World, Nov. 29, 1900)

The 5-year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Adam Baker died of diphtheria Saturday evening. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 3, 1891)

Lulu Banning, daughter of Nathan Banning, died Thursday of diptheria, aged about four years. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 3, 1891)

The funeral of William Beal, which took place Sunday from the family home, was one of the largest funerals ever held in Lawrence. Mr. Beal had been reared in Lawrence and had many relatives and friends here who assembled Sunday afternoon to pay their last respects and listened to the funeral sermon delivered by Rev. Russell of the Baptist church. All arrangements were conducted by the F.A.A., of which the deceased was a member. He was also a member of the Lawrence fire department and the first of them death has summoned. Floral offerings were sent by both these organizations, by the liverymen from Beal & Goddings livery barn, wich which the deceased was connected and by friends in Leavenworth, Topeka and Kansas City. Four white horses drew the hearse to the cemetery and all the Lawrence hackmen lent their services in the funeral procession to Oak Hill Cemetery. (Lawrence Weekly World, Feb. 28, 1901)

Waldo B. Belden was born at Farmington, Ohio, March 25, 1849, and died at his home in De Soto, Kansas, December 25, 1900. His early life was spent in the east,, but for for the last twenty-one years he has lived on a farm near De Soto. In 1871 he married Miss Lydia Register, of De Soto, who survives him. He also leaves four children— three daughters and one son. The deceased was an active member of the A. O. U. W. and Masonic lodges, who conducted his funeral services at Oak Hill cemetery. He was a moral man and a deep thinker along religious lines, although not a believer in creeds or dogmas. He was an ardent prohibitionist and a staunch repulican. His last fatal illness was due to paralysis, from which he had been a sufferer for the last ten months.(Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 17, 1901)

Mrs. Elizabeth Benjamin, wife Of D. 0. Benjamin, died at her home in Kanwaka Dec. 12, at the age of 77 years. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 31, 1891)

Mrs. Benjamin, of near Big Springs, died Saturday, the 19th, of la grippe. Funeral services were held. Monday at 1 p. m. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891)

Annie Bennett, wife of J. Bennett, residing twelve miles north of the city, died very suddenly Saturday afternoon. She was seemingly as well as could be within a few hours of her death, which occurred under peculiar circumstances. The cause of death is thought to be neuralgia of the heart. Mrs. Bennett was a bride of three months and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. J. Patterson, wno are among the oldest residents of Douglas county. She was well known in this city. The funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Mayor Gould last Friday received a letter from Orlando, Florida, stating that Capt. Bickerton, an old, time citizen of Lawrence had died at that place at the advanced age of 89 years, and one of the deceased last wishes was that the Lawrence papers make mention of him so that his former friends would know what had becdme of him. Capt. Bickerton was one of the original John Brown men and claimed to have fired the first cannon under Brown's leadership. He had made the ball himself out of type metal and was at that time an artilirist in Jim Lane's regiment. Mrs. Bickerton survives him. He was buried under the auspices of the G. A. R. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 31, 1901)

The death of Mrs. T. A. Blackman occurred Sunday night at 11 o'clock at the home of her daughter, Mrs. A. W. Cunningham, 1316 Vermont Street. Funeral announcement will be made later. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

The funeral of Mrs. Huldah R. Blakeley was held at 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon at the home of her son-in-law, Judge L. S. Steele, 702 Mississippi Street. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 11, 1894)

Mrs. Hannah Boughton, mother of Mrs. Paul Brooks, died at noon Thursday of old age. She was a few months past 90 years of age. The funeral will be Friday afternoon from the house. Mrs. Boughton is well known in Lawrence, having made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Brooks, for the past twenty-five years. She has been an invalid for years and for the past few years has been practically helpless. (Lawrence Weekly World, Aug. 29, 1907)

Joseph Bowers died Sunday in the Soldiers' Home in Leavenworth. His remains were shipped to Lawrence, where his funeral was held yesterday afternoon. The colored Methodist church was well filled. An impressive sermon was delivered, and burial followed at Oak Hill cemetery. The death of "Uncle Joe" Bowers calls for more than a passing notice. He was one of the most familiar figures on the streets of Lawrence. He was close to the hearts of many people and his big life was a help to many people. He always had a pleasant smile, always a good word, and always a hopeful view of life. Now matter how bent with age or how twisted with pain, Uncle Joe was glad to meet a friend, glad to say words that would make one feel better. The children loved him because of his kindness and grown people loved him because he retained to the last the courtesy of a master of ceremonies and the heartiness of a big soul. He was a slave in early life and the mark was on him to the last. He was a strong partisan but he always stood for the best. He was never a leading citizen but he belonged to a class that makes people better. He never influenced public thought but public thought never influenced him much either. He was simply a good, kind old man who took a joy in life without anyone being able to see why. And yet the wealth of his smile was suffused throughout the town and many went far to meet him. It was an inspiration after a hard day's work to run across Uncle Joe and listen to his earnest optimism and his devout love of his kind. He was never crabbed, never sour, no matter how strong the provocation. He had gone from among us and in his going the town has lost a good soul who contributed his share to make life worth living and heaven worth hoping for. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 31, 1901)

Thomas Breeze, 68 years old, died of cancer, from which he has been a sufferer for a long time, last night at his home, corner Haskell avenue and Banks street. He is survived by his widow. The funeral will be held Friday afternoon at 2:30 from the late home. Interment will be in the family lot in Oak Hill, the Odd Fellows Lodge having charge of the services at the graveside. Thomas Breeze has been a resident of this county since 1853, moving to this city from Baldwin. He was a member of the Grand Army and that organization will be represented at the funeral service. (Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, April 12, 1911)

The funeral of J. F. Broeker, who died at his home on New York street Saturday afternoon, will be held from the family residence tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. He was a shoemaker and an old resident of Lawrence. Death was due to old age. Rev. E. E. Stauffer of the English Lutheran church, will officiate the services. The pall bearers will be old time friends of the family. They are: Al Graeber, Otto Fischer, Joel Gustafson, Clark Bouldin, Carl Thudium and Phillip Preisach. The Turners, to which organization Mr. Broeker belonged for so many years, will have charge of the services at the grave. Interment will be make in Oak Hill Cemetery. (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

Uncle Peter Brubaker, who has been sick for several weeks, died at his home Dec. 16. He was a highly respected resident of Douglas County and will be greatly missed by both old and young in this neighborhood. Had he lived until April he would have been 83 years old. He was a minister of the Dunkard denomination. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891)

Addie Buckminster, age 81, died Sunday at her home on Third Street in Lawrence. She served 30 years as secretary of the board of the Lawrence Public Library. Miss Buckminster is survived by her brother of the home, and a niece, Miss Dorothy A. Focht of Los Angeles. Burial will be in Hardy Oak Cemetery, near McLouth. (abstract, Lawrence Journal-World, March 7, 1955)

The funeral of J. G. Buckminster, whose death occurred yesterday afternoon after a long illness, will be held from the home Sunday morning at 9:30 o'clock. The services at the house will be brief and will be conducted by F. M. Bennett, of the Unitarian church. The pall bearers will be Alfred Whitman, A. J. Griffin, H. W. Hendeson, R. L. Gilbert, W. Campbell and F. Irving Williams. The burial will be at Hardy Oak cemetery in Jefferson county, fifteen miles north of Lawrence, where the family lived for years. Mr. Buckminster was born at Limerick, New York, Aug. 10, 1839. When only seven years old he accompanied his parents to Chicago, and the family lived near that city until 1869, when Mr. Buckminster came to Kansas. They have lived in or near Jefferson county ever since then, and since March of the present year have made their home on the north side. In December 1866 Mr. Buckminster was married. They have four children, two sons and two daughters. The oldest son, Fred Buckminster, is living in Chicago and will come with his wife tomorrow. The other children are living on farms in Jefferson county. Mrs. F. I. Williams, a sister of Mrs. Buckminster's, with her husband, is here from Williamstown, Iowa. The Buckminster family is very well known in about Lawrence, and the sorrow that has come to them will be shared by their many friends in town and county, and they sympathy of all will go out to the mourning relatives. (Lawrence Daily Journal, July 22, 1904)

Died, yesterday at one o'clock, Rose Buckminster, oldest daughter of James and Rachel Buckminster, of heart disease. Funeral will take place from the family residence just west of town on Saturday afternoon at 2 o'clock. Friends of the family invited. (Lawrence Daily Journal, Jan. 5, 1883)

Hugh Cameron, the Kansas Hermit, was laid to rest yesterday. His funeral was largely attended by the members of the G.A.R. and burial was made in Oak Hill cemetery. Although he never affiliated with the G.A.R. while alive, the old soldiers stepped in and took charge of his funeral in honor of his splendid war records. Rev. O. C. Brown of the Baptist church officiated at the funeral. (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

Private services will be held from the Miles Funeral Home on Thursday morning for Mrs. Pearl Champion, who died last night. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery. Mrs. Champion had no known relatives. (abstact, Lawrence Journal World, Thursday, Mar. 21, 1939)

Mrs. Thomas P. Champion, 85, a former resident of the Valley Grove community, died at her home in Pleasant Plains on January 4th, from complications of influenza, Elizabeth E. Thompson was born in New Jersey on March 3, 1847. She came to Menard Co., Ill. in 1849 with her parents, and married Thomas P. Champion on January 17, 1867, and they became the parents of one son, Edgar R. Champion, who died in early manhood. They lived in Kansas for a short time, their son being born here, and after the grasshopper scourge returned to Illinois. She is survived by her husband, who is over 90 years old, and her niece, R. Olive James, of Chicago, and her relatives here, Fred and Frank Champion, Hannah Champion and Mrs. Worswick. Burial was in the Pleasant Plains Cemetery.(abstract, Lawrence Journal World, Jan. 19, 1933)

Amanda Gray was born May 23, 1851, at Barnsville, Ohio, and died October 19, 1911 at the home of her daughter, Mrs. O. J. Clark, at 641 Maine Street, Lawrence, Kansas, age 60 years, 4 months and 26 days. In 1854 the family moved to Iowa, where in 1869 she was married to Edwin W. Cheney. To them were born eight children, six of whom survive, one son dying in infancy and one son, Paul, who died four years ago, at the age of nineteen and was buried in Oak Hill cemetery. Those who survive to mourn her death are Mrs. Grace Van Arsdale, of Chariton, Iowa; Mrs. Minnie Ralph, of this city; Mrs. Sarah McCormick, of Lewllen, Nebraska; Mrs. Rachel Clark, Miss Janet Cheney and her husband all of Lawrence. Mrs. Cheney became a christian in early girlhood and at the age of 16 she joined th United Presbyterian church, and later the Baptist church, ever living a constant christian life. About ten years ago she became afflicted with paralysis which caused her death. She bore her long suffering bravely, uncomplainingly, until the death angel came to take here from all pain. Funeral services were conducted by her pastor, Rev. O. C. Brown and the remains were laid to rest in Oak Hill cemetery. (Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, October 25, 1911)

George Churchill was bom at Finmere, England, March 26, 1829. In 1847 he came to America, settling in New York, where he lived until the fall of '54, when he joined one of the earliest parties coming to Kansas, and preempted a claim northwest of Lawrence. For many years he carried on his business of carriage making, having his manufactory where Mr. Shaw's lumber yard is now. October 17, 1859, he was married at Norwich, New York, to Helen M. Shaw, a prominent teacher in Chenango county, New York and New Brunswick, New Jersey. They came to Lawrence where they have lived almost continuously since. At the time of the Quantrel raid his carriage shop was burned down; a few years afterward he moved to a small farm southeast of town where he has resided most of the time until about three years ago, whea his health failed and he came to town where with his wife and son, Whitman, he has resided until his death, which occurred Saturday morning, January 12th, at 10 o'clock. He was one of the kindest and best of men, one who never had an enemy. His home life was beautiful and his devotion to his wife and son unceasing. His only daughter, Delia, a graduate of K. U., died very suddenly on the 14th of September, 1888, and her death was a blow from which he and his wife never recovered. She was a lovely young lady and will be remembered by many. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 17, 1901)

The grandchild of Henry Cooper died this morning.(Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, January 15, 1898)

Mrs. Thomas Craven, living three south of Baldwin, committed suicide early Friday morning by jumping into a well. Mrs. Craven had been ill for several weeks with the grippe and it is supposed that the became temporarily insane through despondency. It is not definitely known at what she threw herself over the well but her husband discovered her body about 5 o'clock. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Mrs. B. W. Woodward received the news of the death of her brother, Mr. Thomas Darlington, yesterday at his home in Westchester, Pa. He had been sick several weeks, and the grippe with other complications was the cause of his death. Mr. Darlington and his daughter, Miss Grace, visited Mrs. Woodward, and were known by many here. The deceased was Mrs. Woodward's only brother (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Harry Dicker, age 56, died March 31st at his home on Locust Street. Services were held this afternoon from the Centenary M. E. church, with burial in Oak Hill cemetery. He is survived by his wife, and son, Wayne, both of the home; a brother, C. S. Dicker of Lawrence; and two sisters, Miss Josephine Dicker of Lawrence and Mrs. J. L. Usher of Pomona. (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, April 2, 1934)

Mrs. Elizabeth Dixon died Sunday afternoon at 2 o'clock at her home onNew Hampshire street. The deceased was 86 years old and had no living relatives. She was one of the oldest residents of Lawrence, and a loyal member of the Methodise church, from which place the funeral services were held at 3 o'clock tomorrow afternoon. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 31, 1901)

The funeral of Mrs. Martha Lee Dixon was held from the home, 711 Connecticut St. this afternoon, at 2 o'clock. She died Saturday of heart trouble, after a lingering illness. She leaves three daughters and one son. Burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery. (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

J. M. Doyle, chief clerk of the passenger department in the auditor's office of the Southern Kansas railway, died at 12 o'clock last night. Mr. Doyle has been very low with typhoid fever for several days and his death was not wholly unexpected. He was an unusually bright young man and stood at the head of his department and was highly respected by all his associates. The funeral will be held Saturday afternoon. (Lawrence Weekly Journal, Mar. 8, 1888)

News was received yesterday of the death of Mrs. R. C. Edgerton on Tuesday, in the Indian Territory, about 15 miles south of Coffeyville. Mrs. Edgerton was well known in this city as Miss Mary Jones. She is a niece of Mrs. O. W. McAllister, with whom she lived many years. She was a daughter of Rev. John B. Jones, who was a missionary among the Cherokee Indians. She attended the city schools of Lawrence and afterward the Baptist College at Alton, Ill. She was married in 1884 to R. C. Edgerton. The funeral will take place at Coffeyville, today, from the residence of Mr. H. M. Upton, an intimate friend of the family. (Lawrence Weekly Journal, Mar. 8, 1888)

Saturday morning (July 28th) about 6 o'clock Henry Eggert, one of the oldest residents of Douglas county, passed away. The deceased settled in Wakarusa Twp. in 1856 and was prominent in the affairs of the community for many years. He was 77 years old and lived with his son W. H. Eggert, of Wakarusa, from whose residence the funeral took place at 2 o'clock Sunday afternoon. Mr. Eggert was also the father of Fred and Charles Eggert, once successful merchants of this city, now residents of Oregon. (The Lawrence Gazette, Aug. 2, 1888)

Died, in this city, at 11 o'clock on the 25th inst., infant son of Charles and Nettie Eggert, aged seventeen days. (Lawrence Daily Journal, May 27, 1873)

Mrs. Martha "Mattie" F. Eggert, wife of H(enry). W. Eggert, died at 12:30 yesterday afternoon at the family home in Wakarusa Twp. Mrs. Eggert sustained a severe fall about a month ago [note: broke her hip after falling down the stairs on Nov. 21, 1903], which caused her death. She has been bedridden since that unfortunate accident. She was 63 years of age and had lived in the county for many years. She leaves a husband and three children. Mrs. Eggert was quite well known in this county and her death has called forth many expressions of sympathy for the family. The funeral will be held at the family home, at 11 a.m., on Tuesday, and interment will be in the Blue Mound cemetery. Rev. Dr. Lenig will conduct the exercises. (Lawrence Daily World, Jan. 2, 1904)
Martha Filton was born in Green county, Ohio, August 17, 1841, and died at her home, near Blue Mound, Kansas, on New Year's Day, as the resut of a fall, for about six weeks. When a child of 14 she moved with her parents to Franklin county, Kansas, and in 1865 to Lawrence. On October 17, 1876, she was married to Henry W. Eggert, with whom she passed the remainder of her life in the vicinity of our city. To them were born four children, James H., now of Hood River, Oregon; Nettie W. Palmeteer, Lawrence; Frederick W., who lives on the home place, and Arthur W., deceased. For nearly forty years she was a faithful member of the First Methodist Episcopal church and had also for a long time done active work in the Woman's Relief corps. Her end was peaceful. The affection in which her neighbors held her was seen in the large gathering at the last sad service. These were conducted by the pastor an then she was laid to rest at Oak Hill cemetery with impressive W. R. C. services. She will greet us in the resurrection. We mourn, but not without hope. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 14, 1904)

The remains of John C. Emery arrived here from Rico, Colorado, Thursday, for burial. The deceased was the son of Chas. C. Emery, an old and respected resident of Kanwaka. He was 33 years old and had lived in Douglas county until a few years ago, having many friends and acquaintances here who mourn his death. Pneumonia was the cause of his death. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 3, 1891)

Mrs. Ida Fench, wife of George Fench, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Baldwin, of Lapeer, died in Chicago, the 18th inst. The remains will be brought home ior burial. Mr. Fench will leave the two youngest children with Mrs. Baldwin and return to Chicago after the funeral. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891)

Frank Fetherolf, a well known cigar maker, died Jan. 3 at 10 o'clock in the evening. His funeral held Thursday afternoon at 4 o'clock, u n d er the auspices of the Fraternal Aid Association, at the late residence of the deceased. Beautiful floral emblems from the various lodges to which the young man belonged, were sent as tributes to his memory. C. Frank Fetherolf was born in Lehigh Co., Penn., Dec. 28, 1867. With his parents he removed to Kansas in 1878, settling in Dickinson county. In 1880, the family removed to Lawrence where they have since lived. The deceased was ill over a year. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 11, 1894)

The death of A. T. Fincher occurred Sunday morning at the family home, 801 Lincoln Street, after a brief illness. Funeral services will be held from the Centenary Methodist church tomorrow afternoon at 2:30, conducted by Rev. Mr. Foster. Burial will take place in Maple Grove cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

Adam Flory, son of E. K. Flory, died at Colorado Springs, Col., December 29, of consumption. He was a very stout and bright young man until last spring when he had an attack of typhoid fever. He get better, then took a relapse and it settled on in his lungs, from the effects of which he never recovered. He went out to the above place to regain his health, but the result was as above stated. He stayed with our friend and neighbor, John Baker, formerly of Willow Springs, where he was cared for and everything done friends could do, for which his father is very thankful. His father was with him the last five weeks of his illness. His sister was also with him the last five days of his life. He was a very kind and honest boy, loved respected by all that knew him. He was always ready to lend a helping hand whenever he had an opportunity. He was born one mile east of Willow Springs and lived all his life on that place. Ha was born June 26, 1877. He leaves a father and one sister living, and three dead. His mother died when he was quite young. His father, E. K. Fiory, his two companions and four children dead, has only himself and one daughter left. The funeral was preached in the Willow Springs church by J. B. Rhinehart to a large concourse of relatives and friends. He was buried at the Pleasant Grove cemetery. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 10, 1901)

Miss Mary L. Frazer died Tuesday of apoplexy. Miss Frazer had lived in Lawrence a long time and was highly respected by a large circle of friends. Mary Lucy Frazer was born December 10, 1829, in New York, daughter of John Frazer, Methodist minister in New York and Ohio conferences. Educated in Poultney, Vt,, seminary, and instructor in French in some school. Has made her home with her sister, Mrs. S. J. Rushmer, for thirty years, in Lawrence. Member of the Methodist church. Mourned by two sisters, Mrs. Rushmer now of Pueblo and Mrs. R. Oehler of Chillicothe, Mo.; latter is now here and Mrs. Rushmer will arrive this evening. Funeral will be held from her late home, 744 Louisiana st., at 3 p. m. Thursday. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 31, 1901)

The funeral of Mrs. H. S. Gardner, who died Saturday, was held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from the family home, on Kentucky street. The funeral was largely attended and the floral offerings were beautiful. Rev. M. E. Nethercutt of the Methodist church, of which Mrs. Gardner was a life-long member, had charge of the services. Her Sunday School class of girls attended the funeral in a body. The pallbearers were all old friends of the family: Profs. Dunlap, Engel, Wilcox, W. F. March, C. B. Starkweather and Hugh Blair. (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

The funeral of Wesley Garrett of Lecompton, was held yesterday and the interment was made by the side of his wife who died December 18. Mr. Garrett came to Kansas in 1849, and was one of the oldest settlers in Douglas county. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 11, 1894)

The funeral of John Gillham was held yesterday at the Methodist Episcopal church. Rev. M. E. Nethercut had charge of the services. The pallbearers were S. J. Churchil, Ed. Munk, W. J. Flintom, J. H. Herman, B. J. Whitman and Frank Durland. Burial took place in Oak Hill Cemetery. (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

The funeral of Mrs. I. J. Gray, who was stricken with heart trouble while on a visit to relatives in Beloit, Wis., was held this morning. The services were conducted at the home at 12 o'clock by the Rev. N. S. Elderkin and interment was made in Oak Hill cemetery. A pathetic feature of Mrs. Gray's sudden death was the absence of her husband. Mr. Gray had not accompanied here to Wisconsin, but had gone west on a business trip. He received word of her death while away. (Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, October 25, 1911)

Phoebe Ann Gudgell, age 74, died this morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nelson Green, in Lawrence. The body will be taken to Fairfield, Iowa, for services and burial. Besides Mrs. Green, Mrs. Gudgell is survived by two other daughters, Mrs. Lila B. Nicholes and Mrs. Susie B. Green, both of Burlington, Iowa, and two sons, Licurgess Gudgell of Rock Island, Illinois and Clayton Gudgell of Fairfield, Iowa. (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, April 2, 1934)

The funeral of Mrs. B. F. Harmon took place last Thursday from the Centenary Methodist church in North Lawrence, before a number of friends and relatives from out of town. These included several sons and daughters who came from distant points to be present. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 17, 1901)

The mother of Albert Harris, of Lapeer, died suddenly last Sunday with heart disease. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891)

Mrs. Perris Harris died Nov. 18, at her home near Black Jack, and was buried at Prairie City cemetery from tbe Presbyterian church in Media. Rev. L. E. Stanard conducted the service. Mrs. Harris was born August 18, 1808, at Springfield, Massachusetts. At the age of 19 she was married to Archibald Harris and together they emigrated to Illinois in 1845. There she joined a Baptist church. They came to Prairie City, Kansas, in 1855, where she lived with her husband until he died, seven years ago. Since then she has lived with her daughter, Mrs. Pierson, near Black Jack. Mrs. Harris was the mother of seven children, five of which survive. (Baldwin Ledger, Nov. 26, 1891)

Mrs. H. Hase, of Twin Mound, after an illness of four days, passed quietly away. She leaves a husband and four children to mourn her loss. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891)

The community is saddened by the death of David Herries, a well known and esteemed citizen and resident since 1867. He was one of the sturdy pioneers whose life and faith and worth have made the "desert to blossom as the rose." His family was exemplary. His sons and daughters grew to maturity here and are useful, consecrated men and women. He lived his four-score years and three, tempered by storms and sunshine, joys and sorrows, and made ready for the "house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens." David Herries was born at Dumfries, Scotland, Nov. 15, 1838. Died at McLouth, Kansas, March 20, 1922. His boyhood and school days were lived in Canada. In 1865 he went west to Leavenworth county, Kansas. Since 1867 he resided continuously on his farm, 4 1/2 miles east of town, now one of the handsome farms of Leavenworth county. In 1870 he was married to Margaret Gatchell, the devoted wife, who survives him, with three daughters and two sons: Mrs. Herman Eggert, of McLouth; Mrs. Murray C. Eggleston, of Lawrence; Emma, who resides at home; James F. and Hiram E. Herries, of St. Joseph, Mo. Two sons preceded him "over there." In early life he united with the Presbyterian church; in 1899 he joined the Methodist church of McLouth. Funeral services were held at the home, conducted by Pastor A. H. Christensen, from the text Job 16:22, a beautiful eulogy to the departed, and full of comfort to the living. Interment was at McLouth cemetery. (Lawrence Daily Journal World, Mar. 28, 1922)

David Herries, one of the very early settlers of McLouth, passed away at his home east of town last Monday at the age of 84 years. He had been ill for a couple of months. Funeral services were conducted at the house Wednesday at 2:30 o'clock by Reverend Christenson and burial was at McLouth cemetery. (Leavenworth Times, March 28, 1922)

Funeral services for Mrs. David Herries were held at her home, northeast of town, Wednesday morning. Those from out of town attending were J. F. Herries, of Lincoln, Neb., Mr. and Mrs. H. E. Herries, David Herries and Islem Herries, of Omaha, Neb., Mrs. Charles Fultz and children of Lawrence, Mrs. Libbie Stites and Miss Liza Landon, of Topeka, and Mr. and Mrs. Harold Kessinger and daughter, of Kansas City. The services were conducted by Rev. Russell with burial in the McLouth cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, July 31, 1936)

Willie Herris (Herries) died Friday, Jan. 31, age 23 years. He had been an invalid all his life with paralysis, which finally took him off. He was the son of Dave Herris, five miles east of McLouth. The funeral services were conducted from the home, and many friends attended. The interment was at the McLouth cemetery. (The Farmers' Vindicator, Feb. 7, 1902)

Forrester Hill died Tuesday night at 6:30 at his late house on the California road in the Brackett school district. He was 73 years of age and came to Kansas at an early year, settling in this part of Douglas County. The cause of his death was paralysis and Mr. Hill was sick only since last Friday. The funeral will be held Thursday morning from the home and interment will be made in Maple Grove Cemetery. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, May 30, 1895)

Will. Hogg, an old resident Lecompton died Thursday night. The cause of his death is not known. Mr. Hogg was feeling well till about 5 o'clock in the evening when he was taken with a severe pain, in the head and death resulted as above stated in three hours. The deceased was 65 years oŁ age. and had resided near Lecompton for the last twenty years. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 10, 1891)

This morning, about 5 o'clock, occurred the death of Mrs. Kate Holloway, widow of the late Collins Holloway. Death was due to cancer of the liver. Mrs. Holloway has been making her home with her daughter, Mrs. J. S. Akers, 1927 New Hampshire street. Mrs. Holloway has been ill for several months. She was born in Brown County, Ohio, Dec. 18, 1830. She leaves six children to mourn her death. The funeral will be held Sunday afternoon at two o'clock at the home. Interment in Richland cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, Jan. 2, 1909)

Miss Fannie Hook died at the home of her brother in Osborne, Kansas, last Friday. Her father, who had gone to Osborne to be at her bedside, accompanied the remains home that afternoon. The sincere sympathy of the community is extended to the family in this, their fourth bereavement in one year. Two sons have died and now two daughters have been taken from them.(Lawence Weekley World, Nov. 29, 1900)

Mrs. M. Hornby, aged 41 years, died yesterday at the family home, 1846 Louisiana street. Funeral notice will be made later. (Lawrence Journal World, Dec. 6, 1909)

Edward Hubbel, the 16-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Benton Hubbel, 228 Pennsylvania street, died Saturday evening of pneumonia. The funeral was held this afternoon at 3 o'clock from the home. Burial will take place tomorrow morning at Tonganoxie. (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

Lennie Hughes, colored, died yesterday of consumption, and was buried today at 2 p. m. He was the son of Mrs. Delia Hughes of North Lawrence. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Mrs. Henry Jennings, 23, died last Saturday at 9 o'clock at the family home at the corner of Warren and Delaware streets. Funeral was held Monday morning at 9 o;clock from the Catholic church. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 3, 1901)

The death of Miss Julia Etta Keefe occurred Saturday night of consumption. She had been confined to the house for the part year with consumption brought on by throat trouble and grippe. Etta was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Keefe and was born October 27, 1872. She was educated in the city schools of Lawrence and spent the few years of her life almost entirely here. She was dearly beloved by her school companions and those drawn about her in her long suffering. She was a bright girl and her parents and brother and sister have the deepest sympathy. The funeral services were held Tuesday morning at 9:30 at St. John's Catholic church, and interment was made in the Franklin Catholic cemetery. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, May 30, 1895)

A sad occurrence befell the family of Mr. Clark Kendall, of Hesper, on Wednesday. On rising in the morning the baby, an infant about two months old, was found dead in bed. (Lawrence Weekly Journal, Mar. 8, 1888)

Elizabeth D. Kimball was born in Stoddard, New Hampshire, Nov. 28, 1822, the daughter of Asa and Abigail Davis. She grew up and was educated in her native village. On Sept. 8, 1847, she was married to Franklin Kimball and they made their home in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, where Mr. Kimball was a pattern maker in a large factory. Here they remained about ten years, when they removed to Lawrence in 1857. In Lawrence Mr. Kimball became a member of the firm of Kimball Bros., machinists, and continued in that connection until he went to the pacific coast. Here they built their home and reared their family. They had three children, two of whom, a son and a daughter, grew up. The daughter, Fannie, married Mr. Arthur Carruth and removed to Las Vegas, where she died a few years ago, leaving a son and a daughter. The son, Charles, removed to Los Angeles, California, where he engaged in business and was married. He died a few years ago leaving a widow but no children. in 1886 Mrs. Kimball's health began to fail and it seemed as if only a change of climate could stay the disease. They moved to Los Angeles, and for twelve years she lived very comfortably. However, a few months ago complications appeared and she died, April 16, 1898. Services were held in California, and in Lawrence at Plymouth Congregational church, April 24. (Lawrence Journal World, Tuesday, May 3, 1898)

S. J. Lamb died today at the County Home. He was 82 years of age. Services will be held Tuesday, and interment will be in Memorial Park Cemetery. (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, April 2, 1934)

News of the sudden death of William Lescher, which occurred last Sunday at his home, came as a shock this morning to his many Lawrence friends. The deceased was 80 years of age, but hale and hearty always, until this sudden stroke of heart trouble took him away. Mr. Lescher was born in Eastern Pennsylvania Feb. 10, 1821 and came to Lawrence in 1867 where he was actively interested in the contracting business for many years. The postoffice building, Frazer Hall, K. U. in Lawrence, Washburn college building in Topeka, and the old Coates House in Kansas City were built under his supervision. He was several for several years land commissioner at different times for the Santa Fe and Union Pacific railroad systems and was well known in this vicinity, until his advanced years compelled retirement from active labor. Mr. Lescher leaves a wife and four children all of whom are residents of Lawrence: W. A. Lescher, C. L. Lescher, Mrs. Sadie Howe and Miss Ella Lescher. He also has two brothers and three sisters surviving him. The services were held Tuesday afternoon from 1036 Kentucky st. (Lawrence Weekly World, Feb. 28, 1901)

Frank Lewis, the infant child of Charles Lewis, died this morning and was buried this afternoon.(Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, January 15, 1898)

John McCall, son of Moses McCall, living near Lecompton, died Tuesday of consumption, aged 21 years. (Lawrence Weekly Record, Friday, May 8, 1891)

The passing of a well known Lawrence man and one who was a member of a very prominent family, took place last evening when death claimed Mr. Wallace McGrath at half past eight o'clock. The funeral will be held tomorrow morning at 11 o'clock when strictly private services will be conducted by Rev. I. E. Baxter, pastor of the Episcopal church. Tomorrow afternoon the body will be taken to Topeka for burial. Mr. McGrath was born in Ohio and was 65 years of age at the time of his death. Mr. McGrath was one of those valiant men who served in the Civil war, where he received injuries that resulted in making him a confirmed invalid for years. He was always one of those optimists, however, and although he was always stricken, he was as cheerful as could be. (Lawrence Journal World, Dec. 6, 1909)

Funeral and burial services for W. J. McTaggart, formerly of Lawrence, will be March 18 at Williamsburg. Mr. Taggart died this morning a the home of his daughter, Mrs. Charles A. Stewart, at Kansas City, Kansas. (abstract, Lawrence Journal-World, March 16, 1934)

In the death of Mrs. Emily Mason, which took place yesterday, Lawrence lost one of its oldest settlers and one who was connected with one of the most prominent families in the state, that of the late ex-governor Robinson. Mrs. Mason was also the mother of Lynne Mason, manager of the Bell Telephone company. Mrs. Emily Mason died yesterday morning at 6 o'clock at her home, 198 Elm street, North Lawrence. She had been confined to her bed with heart trouble since before Thanksgiving. Mrs. Mason suffered several rather severe attacks and it was during one of these that the end came peacefully. Mrs. Mason was born in Massachusetts November 3, 1844 and came to Lawrence in 1867 with her widowed mother and one sister. She has been closely allied with Lawrence and Kansas for the past 40 years. Mrs. Mason taught school in one of the first log cabin school houses in the county, when the school system was in its most primitive condition. In 1870 she married Levi P. Mason and since then she has lived continuously in North Lawrence. In 1885 she was left a widow with three sons, Myron R; Earnest G. and Lynne E., all of whom survive. The latter is well known here being the, manager of the Bell Telephone Co. and very prominent in business circles Mrs. Mason was a niece of the late Ex-Governor Charles Robinson and her many friends attest to the fullness and goodness of the life just closed. Interment will be in Oak Hill cemetery and the funeral services will probably be held on Thursday depending on the the arrival of the eldest son, Myron, from California. Further announcements will be made later. (Lawrence Daily World, Jan. 14, 1907)

Mrs. Emilie H. Mason died at 6 o'clock Sunday morning at her home 198 Elm street, North Lawrence. She had been ill and confined to her bed since before Thanksgiving from an acute attack of heart failure. There were ten weeks of sickness and during that time there were hopeful periods when her friends though she would recover. It was during one of these that she passed away peacefully. Mrs. Mason was born in Fitchburg, Mass., Nov. 3, 1844. She came to North Lawrence in 1867 was one of the first school teachers in a little log school house in Douglas county. She was married in 1870 to Levi P. Mason and they lived continuously in North Lawrence. She was left a widow in 1885 with three sons, Myram R. Mason, Ernest G. Mason and Lynne E. Mason, all of whom survive her. She was niece of Ex-Governor Charles Robinson. Her many friends will attest the fullness and goodness of the life just closed. Interment will be in Oak Hill cemetery probably on Thursday, the lime depending upon the arrival of her oldest son from California. The exact date will be announced later. (Lawrence Journal World, Jan. 14, 1907)

The funeral of Joseph Mendenhall will be held from the Unitarian church tomorrow at 3 p.m.(Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, June 4, 1904)

Mrs. S. E. Mendenhall died in Chicago Saturday. The body will be brought here for burial, which will take place tomorrow from the Friends' church on Kentucky street. Mrs. Mendenhall was 71 years of age. (Lawrence Journal World, Dec. 6, 1909)

Mrs. Alexander R. Miller was born in McLean county. Illinois, April 22, 1835. Her maiden name was Clarinda Danson, daughter of John Danson, one of the first settlers of McLean county. She was married to A. R. Miller September 22, 1852. After a residence of several years in Bloomington the county seat of McLean county, she with her husband and one child removed to Iowa in 1857 but on account of the severity of the climate came to Johnson county, Kan., July 4th, 1850, and settled on the farm where she with her husband and children lived until the time of her death. She was a member of the Presbyterian church of De Soto, Kansas, being one of the few who organized the church at that place. She leaves a husband and nine children to mourn her loss, all of whom were present but the eldest daughter, Mrs. Helen Northrop, of Danbery, Conn. Mrs. Miller was 60 yeard, 8 months and 9 days old at the time her death on New Year's morning. The funeral took place Saturday morning at the home east of Eudora and the burial was in the De Soto cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, January 6, 1896)

A telegram was received in the city Sunday announcing the death of Mrs. Ella Fricker Moody, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Fricker who were for a number of years residents of this city. The remains were brought to this city for burial, arriving on the Union Pacific train at 1}:35 a. m. yesterday. The funeral was held from the English Lutheran church at 1:30 p.m. Mrs. Moody spent all the years of her childhood here and is beloved by a large circle of friends. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, May 30, 1895)

Donald Munro, aged 59, died at his home, 1341 Ohio street at 11 o'clock last night. The funeral will be held Monday. Mr. Munro was a Scotchman and a man of strong character. (Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, January 15, 1898)

H. C. Muzzy, aged 72 years, died this morning early at his home, 11 Maine, North Lawrence. He is survived by a wife and four children. The funeral is to be held tomorrow afternoon, 2 o'clock, from the house. Mrs. Lull will officiate. G. A. R. Post, No. 12, will have charge of the body at the grave, and it will be interred according to their rites. (Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, Jan. 2, 1907)

The funeral of Houston T. Nesbitt was held yesterday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock from his home on the Pine road, north of Dicker's store. His son, Robert, arrived Thursday from Denver. The members of Acacia lodge No. 9 had charge of the services. The pall bearers were A. J. Dicker, Charles Finch, Tyson and J. Underwood. Burial was in Oak Hill Cemetery. [another article in the same paper called his Husted Nesbit] (Lawrence Weekly World, Dec. 17, 1908)

Mrs. Nowlin, of Hesper, whose illness was reported last week, departed this life Monday, the 21st inst., at the age of 61 years and ten months. Funeral service took place on Wednesday, at Prairie Center at the M. E. church, of which she had long been a consistent member. She leaves a husband, three daughters and two sons, to hold sacred the memory of wife and mother. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 31, 1891)

Mrs. Eleanor Draper Oakes was born in Yorkshire, England, April 8, 1829, and died November 20, 1911, aged 82 years, 7 months, 18 days. When she was two years old her parents came to America, locating in Oakland county, Michigan. Her mother died when she was sixteen years old, leaving her the care of the home. She kept house for her father and brothers, at the same time striving to obtain an education. She was converted when quite young, joining the Protestant Methodist church. When her father remarried she began to teach school. About 1860 her health failed and having to try a warmer climate she came to Scott county, Illinois, where she taught for five years. She was married August 20, 1865 to Captain Henry T. Oakes. They came to Kansas in 1869, locating on the farm where she spent the remainder of her life. Her husband died in March, 1903. She leaves two children: Mrs. W. G. Temple, of Chatauqua county, Kansas, and C. H. Oakes, who lives on the home farm; five grandchildren, Oakes, Mary, Emory and Emma Temple, and Harold Oakes; one aged sister, Mrs. Ann Reed, and several other relatives. The funeral services were held at the Fairview M. E. church Tuesday morning at 10 o'clock, and were conducted by Rev. Babbitt, assisted by Rev. M. B. Brownlee. Interment was in Oak Hill cemetery by the side of her husband.(Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, Dec. 13, 1911)

Funeral services for the late Delos O'Brien were held this afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at the First Methodist church, Rev. H. E. Wolfe officiating. Interment was in Oak Hill cemetery, and was in charge of the Masons, of which order Mr. O'Brien had long been a member. The attendence of friends and neighbors was large. (Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, October 25, 1911)

Dr. M. A. O'Neill, of Black Jack, died Sunday, from lagrippe, aged 70 years. He was an old and honored resident of this county, having lived here since 1858. In 1872 he was elected state senator.(Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 31, 1891)

Robert H. Pearson, an old pioneer of Douglas county, died at his home near Black Jack Saturday evening, January 27, after a few days illness. Mr. Pearson was 78 years old and leaves a wife and nine children. Funeral services will be held at the house Wednesday morning. Interment at Baldwin Cemetery. (Lawrence Daily World, Feb. 1, 1906)

Cecelia Peterson died at 9 o'clock this morning of typhoid pneumonia. The funeral will be held at the English Lutheran church at, 3 p. m. Sunday.(Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, January 15, 1898)

Mabel Ina Pontius died at her home in Kanwaka Tuesday, January 22, 1901aged 9 years, 2 months and 27 days. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Bream of Lawrence on Wednesday. Music was furnished by Mrs. Martin, Misses Harris and Saylor, and Messrs. Harris and Burgtorff. The remains wore laid to rest in Oak Hill cemetery. Little Ida had been a sufferer lor eight years. She had passed through many days and nights of pain and died after great agony. During her whole life she has been sweet tempered and patient with a smile and a welcoming hand for all her friends. Her life was secluded and quiet, but her friends were all who knew her. In all her troubles and pleasures she turned to her mother, whose devoted care for her was repaid by little Ina's great love. She was the center of the home life and all the family plans have depended upon her condition. She is now at peace. There will be a great void in her home, bet her friends rejoice with her that her sufferings are over. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 24, 1901)

C. B. Price, an old and respected resident of this county, died at his home near Black Jack on Saturday, from apoplexy. He was 74 years of age and had resided in Palmyra Twp. since 1857. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, May 27, 1897)

Saturday evening at nine o'clock a well known woman passed away when death claimed Mrs. Ella Jackson Ralston. The funeral was held this morning from the Fairview church, interment taking place in Oak Hill cemetery. Mrs. Ralston was born in Tennessee May 13, 1845. She came to Kansas with her parents in 1857 and settled in Coffey county, coming to Lawrence in the 60's. She was married in 1867 to Charles Ralston and went at once to the farm south of the Wakarusa, where she has ever since lived. Her husband died twenty years ago, and she is survived by a son, Ernest. Mrs. Ralston was stricken with inflammatory rheumatism over two years ago and for over a year has not been able to be moved from her invalid chair, and she has been perfectly helpless. Her son, Ernest, has had full care of her all this time as she wouldn't let any one but him do anything for her. Mrs. Ralston's neighbors were all very kind to her. (Lawrence Journal World, Dec. 6, 1909)

James P. Randall, who died in Shawnee county last Thursday of consumption, was interred in Oak Hill cemetery yesterday. (Lawrence Daily Record, Monday March 2, 1891)

Miss Margaret Reed died Sunday evening at 9 o'clock, at her home dhere. Funeral services will be held at 1 o'clock Tuesday morning from the home. (Lawrence Journal World, Dec. 6, 1909)

Mike Reedy died Sunday afternoon after a long illness. The nature of his ailment was never positively known but it was a complication of diseases. Mr. Reedy was well known in this city where he had resided for a number of years. (Lawrence Journal World, January 6, 1896)

The death of Apolonia Rohrer occurred this morning at her home, 1766 Barker avenue. The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon from the United Brethren church, Rev. Mr. Nicholson and Rev. Mr. Hoffman officiating. Burial will take place at Oak Hill cemetery (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

From Wednesday's paper: The funeral of Mrs. W. H. Russell was held this morning at 11 o'clock from the First M. E. church, the Rev. J. K. Miller officiating at the services. A large number of the deceased's friends followed the body to Oak Hill Cemetery. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Funeral services of Mrs. Wilhelmina B. Sanderson took place at 4:00 this afternoon at the home of her daughter, Mrs. E. A. Kasold, 326 Indiana street, conducted by Rev. Frank Jennings of the First Baptist church. Burial took place at Oak Hill cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

Rachel Sheets, aged 76, died Saturday morning at 11:45 at the family home six miles northeast of town. Funeral was held at the home at 1:30 Sunday afternoon.(Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 3, 1901)

Buddy Rovelle Shirley, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Theodore Shirley died January 2. He was born Dec. 28, 1927. (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, January 28, 1928)

Frank J. Shirley passed away early Friday morning at St. Francis hospital in Topeka. He was the son of F. P. Shirley, and had become ill Sunday night. Mr. Shirley suffered from diabetes. Among the relatives attending his funeral at the United Brethren Church at Lecompton were his cousin, Mrs. Walter Brown and family. [see also below] (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, July 24, 1930)

John Franklin Shirley, 35, of Lecompton, died yesterday in Topeka. Services will be held Sunday from the United Brethren church in Lecompton, with burial in the Lecompton Cemetery. [see also above.] (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, July 19, 1930)

Glenn Community News--Pete Shirley died last week of cancer in a Topeka hospital. Relatives from this community who attended the services in Grantville were Mr. and Mrs. H. A. Davidson, Mr. and Mrs. Will Glenn and B. F. Glenn. (abstract, Lawrence Journal World, April 3, 1923)

Luan Simpson, an aged colored woman, said to have been nearly 100 years old died Friday, at her home, 915 Louisiana Street. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 24, 1891)

Mrs. Wm. T. Sinclair died at the family residence on Ohio street at 10:30 o'clock Saturday night of Bright's disease, after an illness lasting about two months. The announcement of this death will bring sorrow to many hearts in Lawrence, where her kind nature, pure and noble character and refined tastes had raised her to a high position in society and attracted many warm friends. Mrs. Sinclair, whose maiden name was Frank L. Smith, was born at Whitney's Point, New York, 46 years ago. She was educated at Oberlin College, Ohio, and was married to Wm. T. Sinclair at Topeka in 1869. She was a member of the Congregational church. Besides the husband, she leaves two daughters to mourn her death, Miss Bella, a young lady, and another several years younger. The funeral will be held at the residence, corner of Pinckney and Ohio (Lawrence Daily Record, Monday March 2, 1891)

The funeral of Mrs. W. G. Smith took place Friday afternoon from the family home south of the cemetery. Rev. Wooten of the Friends church conducted the services and a goodly number of friends came to pay their last respects and burial took place at Oak Hill cemetery.(Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 31, 1901)

Died, Sunday night. Nov. 29. at the home of her parents. Mr. and Mrs. G. W. Snyder 8 miles north of this city, Millicent, aged 6 years, of croup. The bereaved parents desire to extend to their neighbors and many friends their heartfelt thanks for favors tendered during their great affliction. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 10, 1891)

At 8:20 Christmas morning L. J. Sperry, an oLd and highly respected citizen of Douglas county died at his home 2 1/2 miles east of Lawrence. He was born in Homer, N. Y., on Jan. 5, 1828. At the age of 4 years he moved to Harrisburg, Pa., later he moved to Fulton county, Ill. He started to Texas in 1856. He was so well pleased with Kansas that he stopped and settled on the farm that has been his home eVer «ince. Coming to Kansas when he did, he was in the midst of the border trouble, taking an active part with the free statesmen being a very radical he was in many skirmishes with the border ruffians. When the war broke out he enlisted in Co. M, 11th Vol. for three years service, but in a larger sense he has been serving his country all his life. He has seen the state develop from a a wild wilderness to its present condition. His work and stability as a citizen indicative of his character as a man and his life as a Christian. At an early age he joined the Methodist church. His religious experience has been very clear. His testimony during his late illness has been very blessed. For many years he has been one of those Christians you could expect to find in his place at the service of his Savior on the anniversary of whose birth he ascended to the reliazation of the hope he so long and faithfully studied and anticipated. He was a member of the G. A. R. and No. 6 A. F. & A. M. He leaves a wife and two sons, R. K. and F. M. McFarland, and a large circle of friends to mourn his death. (Lawrence Weekly World, Jan. 3, 1901)

Perry B. Stebbins, aged 6 years, 7 months and 7 days, died at Clinton, December 16, from la grippe and rheumatism. He had not been well for two months but was only confined to his bed two days. He was at Sunday school on the 13th and had gone to school all the time. He was a member of the Junior league; was a bright and good boy and was liked by all that knew him. He had talked of Christmas and of Heaven for the past month but he spent his Christmas in Heaven. The funeral was held at the Methodist church on the 17th. conducted by the pastor, Rev. McQuery. The remains were laid to rest in the Clinton cemetery. The grief stricken familiy have the sympathy of their many friends. Perry was a bud on earth that has gone to Heaven to blossom. James Stebbins, the father of deceased died April 12, 1891, and Nellie Stebbins, sister of deceased, died March 12, 1891. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 31, 1891)

Bridget N. Murphy Surgrue, wife of John P. Sugrue, died at the Simmons hospital Sunday. She was born in Montreal, Canada, and was married in Lawrence in 1876. Four children were born: Margaret Sugrue, deceased; Mrs. George Chambers, of Los Angeles; Mrs. Roy Lawrence of this place; and John Sugrue of Los Angeles. She has been a faithful member of St. John's Catholic church ever since coming to Lawrence, and the funeral will be held from that church tomorrow evening at 9 o'clock. Burial will take place at Mt. Calvary cemetery. Mrs. Sugrue's body was taken to the home of her daughter, Mrs. Roy Lawrence, 919 Missouri St. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

On Saturday the 5th inst. the remains of Charles R. Sutliff of Denver were brought to this city and interred in Oak Hill cemetery. He was the son of John B. and Augusta Sutliff, old and honored residents of this city in its early days. Mr. and Mrs. Sutliff removed from Lawrence to Kansas City, Mo., with their family consisting of one son and two daughters about ten years ago. At the time of their removal the deceased was 12 years of age. There he learned the trade of manufacturing stained glass and art windows.After a few years of persistent industry he was enabled to commence Business for himself. This he did in Denver, Col. He gave promise of an unusually successful career. Socially he was much esteemed. He was an earnest Christian worker and will be greatly missed in church, and Y. M. C. A. circles. Charles Sutliff was born in Lawrence in 1869. He is remembered as a boy of unusual cheerfulness, always ready and willing to "lend a hand." His spirit of helpfulness was an early, marked characteristic, and his devotion to and affection for his parents rendered him a conspicuous example for many others whose obligations, might have been far greater. In the great bereavement which Mr. and Mrs. Sutliff and their lovely daughters have been called on to bear in the loss of their only loving and devoted son and brother they have profoundest sympathy of all their many old friends and associates in this city. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Dec. 10, 1891)

From Wednesday's paper: The funeral services of James Tegart who died yesterday, will take place tomorrow morning from his residence at 1007 Alabama street, after which the body will be taken to Clinton, with services at the Clinton M.E. church and burial in the Clinton Cemetery. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Frank Walters died at his home in Lecompton township last night.(Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, January 15, 1898)

Mrs. Rachel Miller Wark was born June 8, 1852 in Fayette County, Pennsyvania. She died at her home in Lecompton, Kansas, May 28, 1904. She had been a christian all her life. For four years she suffered with little intermission, but she was so patient as a sufferer and was so tenderly care for by her husband, sons and daughters that the long road of suffering had more than sunlight flooding it. She and her husband were for many years members of the Methodist church. A loving mother, a tender wife, an unobstrusive Christian, a gentle friend was Mrs. Wark, and she is now in great comfort in the saints' everlasting rest. (Lawrence Daily World, Saturday, June 4, 1904)

Funeral services for the late J. B. Watkins were held at the home at 2:30 this afternoon, conducted by Rev. E. A. Bleck, of the First Presbyterina church. Burial took place at Oak Hill cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

Mrs. Eli Westheffer died Saturday evening at the home of her daughter. Surviving are her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Charles Starkweather, a son, Don Westheffer, and a brother, Joseph West. Funeral services will occcur Tuesday afternoon from the home of her daughter, 401 Maine street and burial will take place at Oak Hill cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

From Monday's paper: Maggie Wey, the 9-year old daughter of John and Anna Wey, of Shawnee county, died this morning of consumption. The interment will be made in Maple Grove Cemetery at 11 o'clock tomorrow morning.(Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 18, 1894)

Louisa White, aged 58 years, died of lagrippe at DeSoto last night. The funeral will be held tomorrow. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 11, 1894)

Died, in Eudora, Friday, May 17, 1895, of general nervous debility of the system, Milo White, aged fifty years, ten months. The deceased was born July 18, 1844 in St. Joseph county, Indiana, and has in his time traveled extensively. Previous to his coming here he resided in New Zealand. for the past two years he was city marshall of Eudora and constable of the township. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, May 30, 1895)

The death of William H. H. Whitney, 79 years old, occurred Saturday night at his home, southeast of town. Funeral services were held at 4:00 this afternoon from the Cross undertaking rooms, conducted by Rev. Thomas Popplewell. Burial took place at Oak Hill cemetery. (Lawrence Journal World, Feb. 7, 1921)

Alfred H. Wilson, aged 63 years, died at his home, three miles northwest of town, last night. The cause of death was paralysis, from which he had suffered for eleven weeks. He leaves three children. Mrs. Jerry Ewers, Mrs. Eudaly and John Wilson. The funeral will be held from the Friends church tomorrow afternoon. Interment will be in Oak Hill cemetery.(Lawrence Daily World, Friday, June 1, 1906)

John C. Wiley, son in law of Mrs. E. J. Moys, died at the home of Mrs. Moys this morning of hemorrhage. The funeral announcements will be given later. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, May 30, 1895)

Solomon H. Wiley, 66 years and 6 months old died of complications last night at the home of his nephew Mr. B. F. Wright, living three miles northeast of this city. A daughter whose presence whereabouts unknown is a survivor. A sister, Mrs. H. W. Broat, also lives here. The funeral will be conducted tomorrow afternoon at 2:30 from the Broat home, almost a mile east on the Eudora road. Interment will be made in Oak Hill cemetery. Mr. Wiley was an old soldier, serving in the 25th battery, New York Volunteers Light Artillery. He was not a member of the G.A.R. (Lawrence Jeffersonian Gazette, November 15, 1911)

Eliza Williams, widow of I. J. Williams, aged 79 years, was born in Canada in 1812 and died in Lawrence, November 27, 1891. She with her husband came to Kansas in 1871 and located near our city. Since the death of her husband she has resided in Lawrence. She had been a true and faithful member of the M. E. church since her girlhood and died in the faith of Christ. Her remains were interred in the Baldwin cemetery last Saturday followed by a large number of friends and relatives who mourn her death.(Baldwin Ledger, Dec. 3, 1891).

The following was written by John Walton, S. K. Funk and W. H. Gill of Seth Kelley Post No. 410, G.A.R., Vinland, on the death of their comrade, James A. Williams:
James A. Williams was born in Fayette county, Pennsylvania. He was a glass blower by trade. He came to Kansas soon after the close of the Civil war and purchased a farm near Vinland, and turned his attention to farming; later made a specialty of small fruits. Some ten years ago he removed to Arkansas, where he bought and made a farm, still retaining his old homestead near Vinland. He enlisted in Co. D, 8th Penn. R.V.C., July 1, 1861; served in the army of the Potomac to the end of the war. During the war he belonged to a crack regiment nicknamed the "Buck Tails," who were distinguished for their valor and efficiency in many trying ordeals. We dare not trust our memory to state the many battles in which our comrade took part; suffice it to say that he served in Gen. Hancock's corps and Gen. Meade was his pet commander. "Jim" Williams, for that is what we called him, was a charter member of Vinland Grange and Seth Kelley Post G.A.R. department of Kansas. As he was singularly independent in expressing his convictions some might consider him eccentric, even rough, but a closer acquaintance revealed the true man, a generous, whole-souled neighbor. In times of sickness and distress he and his good wife were ever ready and willing to go. While we shall ever retain a pleasant memory of our departed comrade, we shall not think of him as a man without faults, but his failings were those peculiar to brave hearts and strong minds. A homely phrase expresses our admiration for our comrade--he always took the side of the under dog; he was for the weak against the strong. He died at Aurora, Arkansas, March 29, 1900.

The mortal remains of Mrs. Elizabeth Yewdall, wife of Joseph Yewdall were laid to rest in Oak Hill cemetery yesterday afternoon. (Lawrence Gazette, Thursday, Jan. 11, 1894)

Wm. B. Young, one of the earliest settlers of Douglas county, died Sunday at the residence of his son, Wm. Young, Jr., three and one half miles southwest of Lecompton, of ailments resulting from la grippe and old age. The deceased was born in Ireland and was 83 years of age. He settled in Lecompton among the very first, away back in '54 or '55, and has lived there over since. Robert Young of this city is a son, and there are several other children. The funeral will be held tomorrw and the remains will be interred in Oak Hill cemetery. (Lawrence Weekly Record, Friday, Feb. 6, 1891)

Return to Douglas Co. KHHP

This website created Feb. 24, 2012 by Sheryl McClure.
© 2011-2015 Kansas History and Heritage Project