John B. Colt

In the year of 1870 Mr. Colt began thinking about going west and as Kansas had been much talked about in the east he finally decided to make this state his home. He arrived in Leavenworth in 1870 and traveled over Kansas for a hardware firm. In making this western country down about Beloit and Concordia he heard so much about the great Sappa valley that in 1879 he made a trip to Oberlin and was so infatuated with the country and town prospects he at once made arrangements to go into business. He has been here since and has sold more hardware of all kinds than any man now living in this county. He was a charter member of the Presbyterian church and at present the only one now living in the city who joined at the first meeting. You will notice Mr. Colt's ad in the first issue of the HERALD and he has been advertising a good share of the time since. Mr. Colt has always been an upright and honest business man and has always had the respect of the town and community. He is still hale and hearty and no doubt will live to read the HERALD'S 40 year supplement.

 

Back to Thirty-Year Supplement List

Back to Decatur County History   Back to Decatur County Home Page


2001-2003 Sharleen Wurm and   Ardie Grimes
This site was  established Oct 2001 by Sharleen Wurm and Ardie Grimes and is dedicated to free access to records, documents and photos of historical and genealogical value. Documents contained herein may be copied for personal, non-commercial use as long as this message remains on all copied material.   These records, documents and photos may not be reproduced, published or re-published for any reason, in any format,  including electronic (web pages or CD's) and print, without prior written consent of the contributors or copyright holders.

Last updated Monday, February 17, 2003