07 February 1919, World War I, Comanche County, Kansas Hosted by RootsWeb, 
the oldest & largest FREE genealogical site. 
Click here to visit RootsWeb.
Bibliography     Biography     Cemeteries     Churches    Cities & Towns     Clubs     Contributors     Diamond Jubilee    Events     FAQ     Genealogy     Guest Book - Sign     Guest Book - View     History     Links     Maps     News Articles     Newspapers     Opry     Photos     Poetry     Queries     Records     Resources    Satellite Images     Schools     Search     Veterans     HOME
Civil War Veterans   Gravestones of Veterans   Heritage Park Memorial   Home Front   Memorial Rose Garden   Photos of Veterans   Research Sources   Spanish-American War   World War I   World War I Casualties   World War II   World War II Casualties   Undeclared Wars: Korean, Vietnam and the Gulf Wars  

World War I, Comanche County, Kansas

The Western Star, February 7, 1919.

In Honor of Roy Gates -- Among Our Boys


The home of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Gates was the scene of a happy gathering of people on the evening of January 25, when about 125 of the neighbors and friends gathered to spend the evening. The gathering was in honor of Mr. and Mrs. Gates' son, Roy, who had only recently returned from France. A nice lunch was supplied by the guests and greatly enjoyed by all present. The evening was delightfully spent. All gave evidence of the high esteem in which Roy is held by his friends. Besides being a splendid young man, he is every inch loyal and a true-blue American. His record as a member of the U. S. Marines is one which deserves more than ordinary mention. He was among the number who received 11 citations for bravery from the French government, an honor conferred on very few. Roy's only wound was that inflicted by German gas, which, fortunately, was not very serious. Not a man in his company escaped uninjured. Comanche-co. feels proud of the young men of Roy Gates' type.


Asa Hoofer returned home on Wednesday, having recently been mustered out of Army service at Camp Funston. For a while last fall he was a truck driver between Detroit and Baltimore.

Arthur Fisher returned last Saturday to Omaha, Nebr., to resume his duties in the 47th Balloon Company. He had spent a five day furlough with home folks.

Robert Asa Cooper arrived home last Saturday from Camp Devens, Mass., where he had been stationed for a few months. He was attached to the medical corps while there. Asa was among the boys who received honorable discharges from the service.

Wm. Kennedy and Basil Hunt, who live near Wilmore returned last week from Camp Funston, having received their discharge from Army service. They have been at Funston for about six weeks.

Walter Thompson returned home on Wednesday, having been honorably discharged from the service of Uncle Sam. His duties during the last few months had been that of driving trucks between Detroit and Baltimore.

W. H. Williams and Everett Schultz who live near Coy, returned home last Saturday from nearly 12 months of service for Uncle Sam in the lumber camps near Vancouver, Wash. They were honorably discharged from the Army.

Ernest Hecht, who had been serving as a mechanic in the Aviation Corps at Kelly Field, Fort Worth, Texas, for a few months, received his discharge from the service on January 23 and at once returned to Kansas. On Ernest's return at Hartford, where his wife had been staying with her parents during his absence, he was introduced to his 8 pound daughter, who was born on January 24.

Mr. and Mrs. J. M. McCay were in Eureka, Kans., during the past week for the purpose of visiting their son, Oliver, who for about 20 months has been a member of the U. S. Navy. Oliver was a member of the crew on the "Northern Pacific" when the ship was grounded a few weeks ago on the eastern coast of the United States. The crew was taken off the ship and started to a Receiving Ship in New York. Oliver, however, decided to take a furlough of his own, and so started for home without having first occurred permission to do so from the proper authorities. In that, of course, he did wrong, and failed to reckon with the strong arm of the law in the Navy, as elsewhere. He got as far as Eureka, Kansas, where he became stranded. In order to secure money to buy something to eat he forged the name of a business man in Eureka and readily obtained the money on the check. But he was soon apprehended and stood trail. The case was s settled by Oliver pleading guilty but a stay of sentence was granted upon the condition that Oliver would return to the Navy and there abide the consequences of his wrong doing. Oliver had never had a furlough, and he says that he was simply so homesick that he did not know what else to do than to do as he did. His recent experience will doubtless be a valuable lesson to him.

Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site!

This RootsWeb website is being created by HTML Guy Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 17 October 2004.