Clifton Wood born September 4, 1861, in Saline County, Missouri, came to Kansas in the fall of 1886, and homesteaded on land one mile north of the present Comanche-Kiowa County line, eight miles northwest of Wilmore, Kansas. A dugout was built on the (4 quarter corner) where he and his two brothers, Lisha Wood, Jasper Wood, Isac Bailey and Abe Hoffslot lived the first winter. This was the first year of the big blizzard of 1886, and many unusual and interesting stories were told of their hardships.
The requirements for improving on school land at this time, one must build a house and live in it for six months, this would entitle a person to have 160 acres with a period of 20 years to pay.
After meeting his reqiurements for homesteading, Clifton Wood returned to his home in Missouri. The next year, December 28, 1887, he married Anna Mae McDaniel (born May 13, 1866). While living there 3 sons were born. Harold Boyd Wood, born July 4, 1891; Ernest Clifton Wood, born March 11, 1893; John Prowell Wood, born February 16, 1895.
In October 1898, Clifton brought his wife and three boys to his Kiowa County homestead. They came by covered wagon and lived in a tent the first year. With no shelter for the horses they were tied each night to the wagon wheels. They endured great hardships this first winter. Before the winter was over, Clifton became quite ill and was thought for awhile he would not live. With severe weather they were forced to move to the school house to finish the winter.
The next spring a four room, two-story house was moved from near Greensburg (by team and wagon) to the homestead for their first home. Their barn and granary were made with poles for uprights and hay for a roof. The boys learned to help their father break sod and farm.
August 4, 1900, Samuel Basil Wood was born. After much hard work and progress by the year 1910, Clifton and Anna Mae were able to build their first big barn. The lumber for this building was purchased for the price of $35 per 1000 sq. ft. In 1912 they built a two-story, six room house. (This house was moved and is now the home of Molly Dillinger on the old Willis Ray farm).
During these years most of their social interests were with people in Wilmore and Coldwater communities. They helped organize the First Christian Church in Wilmore and were charter members. Their first meetings were held in a schoolhouse located in the north part of Wilmore. Clifton and Anna Mae also had an active part in building the new Christian Church, which was built with cement blocks made by Henry Baldwin.
In the fall of 1926 Clifton and Anna Mae retired from farming and moved to Wilmore where they lived for a period of seven years. They again returned to the farm where they lived until the early 1940's. At this time they purchased the Sam Fausset property (now the Harold Bragg home) and moved back to Wilmore. They lived at this residence until their death. Anna Mae died in March 1943, and Clifton Wood died in March (sic) 1945. They are buried in the Wilmore Cemetery.
By Gladys Wood
-- Comanche County History, page 765, published by the Comanche County Historical Society, Coldwater, Kansas, 1981.
The Western Star, February 9, 1945.
OBITUARY OF CLIFTON WOOD, PIONEER OF WILMORE
Clifton Wood, son of Mr. and Mrs. Elisha Wood, was born at Marshall, Mo., September 4, 1861, and passed away January 29, 1945, at his home in Wilmore, age 83 years, 4 months and 25 days.
He was united in marriage with Anna May McDaniel December 28, 1887. To this union were born five children, four sons and one daughter, the latter dying in infancy. His wife preceded him in death March 14, 1943.
Mr. Wood moved to Kiowa county, Kansas in 1885, where he homesteaded and lived on the old homestead north of Wilmore 37 years. The rest of his life was spent in Wilmore.
He joined the Christian church while a young man in Missouri. he had an abiding faith in his Lord and loved the church to which he was loyal until his death. Mr. Wood was a good neighbor, a kind and loving husband and father and an upright citizen. He was held in high esteem by all who knew him.
He leaves to mourn his passing four sons; Harold of Wichita, Kans., Ernest and Basil of Wilmore and Powell of Sheridan, Wyo., and two sisters; Mrs. Minnie Wilson, Sweetwater, Texas, and Mrs. Susan Gibson, Clebourne, Tex. Also surviving are 18 grandchildren, six great grandchildren, other relatives and a host of friends.
Ernest Clifton "Ert" Wood, son of Clifton and Anna Wood.
Robert Edwin Wood, son of Samuel Basil & Gladys Wood, grandson of Clifton and Anna Wood.
Report of the Wilmore Church of Christ, August 23, 1953.
Dedication of the Wilmore Christian Church, March 15, 1913
Sitting with the Dead - "The last that I can remember for sure was that Mom sat with Clifton Wood's body in 1945" - Wendel Ferrin.
Thanks to Bobbi (Hackney) Huck for providing the above history and to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above obituary to this web site!
This RootsWeb website is being created by Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 05 July 2008.
The following RootsWeb Visitors Counter began counting on 5 July 2008.