One of the most distressing accidents that has come to The Star's notice, for some time, occurred at our neighboring city of Nescatunga, Tuesday of this week. The little three year old daughter of Fred Wilkins, a highly esteemed citizen of this county, by some means got hold of some arsenic or strychnine that had been kept at the house for mice. The poison had been kept in a large box in a tin can, and while Mr. Wilkins was arranging to go to Oklahoma recently, the can was set upon the window sill and unnoticed, left there. The child discovered the poison and told her mother she licked it from the can. She at once became very sick and clenched her teeth and it was impossible to get her to take an emetic. A doctor was sent for, but she died in agony before he could reach her.
This is the second sad death of a child we have to chronicle this week. One extremely sad feature is that her father was absent in Oklahoma at the time of the accident, and only her mother and brother were at home at the time. Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins have the sympathy of all in this hour of such trial. The funeral occurred Thursday.
Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site!
This RootsWeb website is being created by HTML Guy Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 28 August 2004.