Chauncey Elmer Richardson, Comanche County, Kansas Hosted by RootsWeb, the oldest & largest FREE genealogical site. Click here to visit RootsWeb.
Bibliography     Biography     Cemeteries     Churches    Cities & Towns     Clubs     Contributors     Diamond Jubilee    Events     FAQ     Genealogy     Guest Book - Sign     Guest Book - View     History     Links     Maps     News Articles     Newspapers     Opry     Photos     Poetry     Queries     Records     Resources    Satellite Images     Schools     Search     Veterans     HOME

The Wilmore News, September 16, 1938.


Funeral services for C. E. Richardson were held Saturday afternoon at 2;30 o'clock at the Baptist Church, and were conducted by the local pastor, Rev. Pitman.

The pastor spoke on the very unpopular subject of "The Day of Death" using for a text Eccle. 7:8; "Better is the end of a thing than the beginning thereof."

Death was likened to a happy birthday when friends gather around. The Day of Death being our birthday into the new realm of the spirit world.

Death is also like a glad commencement day. The commencement season is a joyous time for youth. The Day of Death is just such a day for the child of God.

Death is also like a brilliant coronation day. On such a day people from all over the world gather to see a king crowned. God's children shall be crowned with an eternal crown placed upon them by Christ's own hands.

Henry Ward Beecher, returning from Europe on an ocean liner, was handed a telegram from home. It thrilled him to know that his return was expected. Someday we shall all be handed such a summons. Many appeals to Christian duty we neglect or reject during a life-time, but this summons of Death none of us can avoid. To faithful Christians it should be a joy to know that God expects us.

The many beautiful floral pieces emphasized the love and esteem of the community for Mr. Richardson.

An octet composed of Mrs. Donald Waters, Mrs. Morrow Hecht, Mrs. Arthur Barber, Mrs. Pauline Hill, Ray Bigbee, Myrl Dellinger, Roderick Baker and Rudy Alder sang "Will the Circle be Unbroken" and "Sometime We'll Understand." Mrs. Hecht and Mrs. Hill sang "Goodnight Here But Good Morning Up There."

Pallbearers were C. O. Masterson, F. H. Moberly, T. C. Pepperd, Earl Ferrin, Wm. Booth and C. B. Austin.

Flower girls were Geneva Pepperd, Iva Ferry, Rowena Booth, Marian Foree, Tryphena Redfield, Helen Booth, Mrs. Edward Baker and Mrs. J. W. Cooper.

Burial was in the Wilmore cemetery where Masonic services were conducted.


Chauncey Elmer Richardson was born in Erieville, New York, September 7, 1868, and passed away at his home in Wilmore, Kansas, September 8, 1938 shortly after his exact age of 79 years had been reached. Although afflicted with a prolonged illness, yet he was a patient sufferer and remained cheerful through it all until death finally mastered the weakness of the flesh.

At the very early age of 4 years his mother died and he was sent to Wisconsin to be cared for. There he grew to young manhood and developed a fondness for rugged out-door life. In these experiences he won the confidence and friendship of old Joe Eagle, an Indian chief of the Winnebagos, with whom he learned to love and appreciate natural art and outdoor life. Many and interesting were the tales of Indian lore which Mr. Richardson could recite.

At the age of 17 he came to Kansas and attended school while living with relatives. In 1888 he came to Kinsley, where he took employment in the Edwards and Nobles grocery and dry goods store. He was married September 23, 1902 to Amanda Belle Clark of Libertyville, Iowa, and to this union six children were born.

The survivors are: his wife, of Wilmore, his six children, Mrs. Horace Ferrin of Oklahoma City, Okla.; Mrs. George Leiss of Greensburg, Kans.; Valtos, Royce, Sylvia and Rita, all of Wilmore, Kans.; 6 grandchildren; one brother, Herman Richardson of Baraboo, Wisc.; three half brothers, Ray of Aurora, Ill., Willard and Oscar of Baraboo; and one half sister, Mrs. Grace Britton of Baraboo. Two sisters, Mrs. Susie Clark of New York and Mrs. Lavonia Wells of Aetna, Kans., preceded him in death.

Mr. Richardson came to Wilmore in 1906. He developed various business and educational contacts in and out of Wilmore. He built and operated the only hotel in town. He was also engaged in farming, real estate and the mercantile business.

Mr. Richardson had been a member of the city council, was city clerk, and 30 years a member of the school board. He was a 32nd degree Mason, belonging to the Blue Lodge at Wilmore, and the Consistory at Wichita. He had been a member of the Knights of Pythias at Kinsley. At one time Mr. Richardson was deputy state game warden, and county game warden.

Wilmore lost another highly respected citizen in the passing of Mr. Richardson. He was a man of high ideals, of personal integrity, of pleasing personality, and always ready to extend a helping hand to his fellowmen.

The heartfelt sympathy of hosts of friends is extended to the bereaved relatives.

Dedicated to Dad


Only a dad with a tired face
Coming home from the daily race;
Bringing little gold or fame
To show how well he has played the game,
But glad in his heart that his own rejoice
To see him come and to hear his voice.
Plodding along in the daily strife,
Doing his best from day to day
Only a dad, in his usual way
Bearing the whips and the scorns of life
With never a whimper of pain or hate
For the sake of those who at home await.
Only a dad, neither rich not proud,
Merely one of the surging crowd,
Toiling, striving, from day to day,
Facing whatever may come his way;
Silent whenever the harsh condemn,
And bearing it all for the love of them.
Only a dad, but he gave his all
To smooth the way for his children small,
Doing with courage stern and grim
The deeds that his father did for him;
This is the line that for him I pen:
Only a DAD, but the BEST of men.

Copy from Mr. Richardson's diary while he was in Kansas City hospital Friday, Dec. 31, 1937 -- "Left Wilmore for Salina, had big blow out Sat. and Sunday. Had several punctures in arms, legs, fingers and had picture taken. Was pounded, punished and finally kicked out on the street and told to make tracks for K.C. or some other seaport. So I put my car into soak and proceeded to K.C. via train. Arrived 8:30 A.M. Was immediately put into a big black box and had another picture taken after which I was put into another enormous machine and received my first degree of heat for a couple hours. I wouldn't squeal so they kept that up till Monday this week when they proceeded to give me the works by placing me on a slab with many gadgets to keep me from falling off. Then they tested my battery, punctured some tires, tore up the carburetor and messed things up in general. Then they tempted me with a fine dinner, but I would not plead guilty. So to wind up the old year, Friday, the last day, they put on more mechanics and proceeded to shoot at me, puncture me with knives and other instruments of tortue until I said I would plead guilty, then they put me to bed with a nice warm room, brought me cooked sausages, eggs, lettuce, cottage cheese, chocolate cake, bread, butter, milk and cigars so now with a few more repairs they think they in a few days hand me my bill of Health and passport out of Missouri. It is now 7 P.M. and the head mechanic told me I had better turn on the radio and listen till next year, but I don't intend to take all of that medicine tonight, but will try to sleep enough tonight so I can resolute tomorrow."

Sat. Jan. 1, 2:30 P.M. -- "Came on about 30 minutes on slab. Well, I will remember this New Year day as I make resolutions and break them."

Tues., 10:30 A.M. -- "The black slab double time this time. Then pound me, listen to my heart draw blood. Just to see how I like it. Keep up this process till Friday, then simply turn me o__ on parole and tell me to return in three weeks."

We wish to acknowledge our sincere appreciation and thanks to all our friends for their expression of sympathy and comfort during the illness and death of our beloved husband and father.

Mrs. C. E. Richardson
Mr. and Mrs. Horace Ferrin and family.
Mr. and Mrs. George Leiss and family.
Mr. and Mrs. Valtos Richardson.
Royce, Sylvia, and Rita Richardson.

Also see:

Amanda Belle Clark, wife of C.E. Richardson.

Red Cross Fund Oversubscribed, The Wilmore News, 28 June 1917.

The 1924 Pocket Directory of Wilmore, Kansas

Mable (Brown) Frost, "The bride had made her home in Wilmore for some time and was an employee of the Richardson Mercantile Company as a clerk where she made numerous friends who will all wish her a happy and prosperous married life."

Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site!

This RootsWeb website is being created by HTML Guy Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 9 September 2006.