Funeral services for Mrs. C. E. Richardson were held at the Baptist Church, in Wilmore, at 2:30 P.M., August 1st. Rev. Pittman, pastor of the church officiating. A large audience listened to a splendid and appropriate address by the pastor, using as his text, the fifth commandment and also emphasizing the value of mothers.
The music was well rendered by a male quartet composed of Myrl Dellinger, Ray Bigbee, Roderick and Nick Baker who sang "The Haven of Rest" and "Beautiful Land." Mr. and Mrs. Lee Roy Cline of Coldwater sang "Goodnight and Good Morning." Mrs. Nick Baker served as accompanist. "Haven of Rest" was one song among many admired by the departed.
Flower girls were Helen Alder, Doris Snyder, Helen Fausett, Marion Wells, Roberta McCorkle and Rose Boles.
The Eastern Star attended in a body and conducted an impressive service at the grave.
The floral contributions from relatives and friends were unusually large and very beautiful.
Acting as pall bearers were two sons, Valtos and Royce Richardson, two sons-in-law, Mr. Horace Ferrin and Mr. Sidney Leiss, Mr. Vernon Wells, a nephew, and Mr. David Golobay, a friend of the family.
Mrs. Richardson was laid to rest beside her husband, on the hill in the nice little cemetery, near Wilmore to await the Great Resurrection morn. She is gone, but not forgotten. Will be so much missed by her children, and other near relatives and all who knew her.
Mrs. Amanda Richardson was born November 25, 1870, and reared to womanhood on her parents old home farm, near Libertyville, Jefferson County, Iowa. Died July 29, 1940 in Wilmore, Kansas, having lived sixty nine years, eight months, and four days.
She was the youngest daughter of Julius L. and Emaline Clark, of whom nine children were born. Both parents, four brothers and one sister having preceded her to the Spirit world. Surviving are two sisters and one brother, Mrs. Mary B. Smith of Yakins, Washington; Mrs. Nora Shoemaker of Ottumwa, Iowa; and T. M. Clark, formerly of Seattle, Washington, who has been with the family during the last few months of his sisters illness.
Amanda was educated at the Old Eagle School House, near her parents home, erected by her father when she was a very small child. When a young woman, she secured more of her education at Birmingham Academy at Birmingham, Vanburen County, Iowa. For a number of years she taught in the public schools in the vicinity where she was reared, with unquestioned success.
As a girl and young woman she had many friends who admired her strength of character, and the moral upright things she stood for.
A little later in life, she took a business training course at a college in St. Joseph, Mo. For a time she was employed as clerk in one of the large department stores of that city, also serving as bookkeeper in a basket and box factory in St. Joseph. Later was appointed Deputy Treasurer for Edwards County, Kansas at Kinsley under her brother, Mr. S. C. Clark and was well known for her efficient work.
She was married to C. Elmer Richardson, Sept. 23, 1902, in the old home where she was born, owned at that time by her brother, Manford, purchased by her father, prior to her father's death. Also where three of her elder sisters had been married. There were about seventy five relatives and friends who witnessed the marriage ceremony performed by Rev. Barbour, a Methodist minister well known in southeastern Iowa. Following the ceremony, they all partook of a bountiful feast, prepared by her brother, Manford's good wife, who has long been deceased. This was a memorable occasion, long to be remembered by the ones present.
Mr. and Mrs. Richardson left Iowa at once for their home in Kinsley, Kans., where Mr. Richardson for several years had been employed as clerk and manager of a large grocery store. A few months later they moved to Wisconsin where Mr. Richardson was raised and had spent most of his younger life. A year or two later, they moved to Wilmore, Kansas where Mr. Richardson erected the first hotel in Wilmore, soon afterward selling out and engaging in the mercantile business, which he followed until his death in 1938.
This marriage union was blessed by six children, who all grew to manhood and womanhood in Wilmore, Mrs. Lorena Ferrin of Oklahoma City, Mrs. Velma Leiss of Greensburg, Kans., Valtos, Royce, Sylvia and Rita who survive, together with eight grandchildren, two sisters and one brother and other relatives and many friends and neighbors.
Mrs. Richardson was raised by Methodist parents. Later in life, became affiliated with the Baptist Church of Winfield, Kans., being baptized by immersion, retaining her membership there until her death. This act, is evident of her faith in Christ, as a personal Savior, the resurrection of the soul and life everlasting. She was an active member of the Eastern Star order, becoming a Past Worthy Matron. Was one of the few charter members left at the time of her death.
She was a lover of home, and the things of nature. Was a kind and loving mother, performing her duties to her home and family, with apparently untiring energy and faithfulness. Was of a quiet disposition. Few words a deep thinker with strong convictions of what she thought was right. She lived her Christianity.
One of her ambitions in life, was to live to see each and all of her six children secure sufficient education, as to guarantee them in livelihood which was accomplished, as is evident of the fact that all four of her daughters became teachers in public schools. Two sons and two daughters, became graduates of Southwestern College, at Winfield, Kans. The two sons followed the profession of their father in business.
Amanda Bell (Clark) Richardson is buried in the Wilmore/Powell Township Cemetery.
Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site!
This RootsWeb website is being created by Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was created 18 January 2006 and was last updated 27 November 2006.