Virgil N. Platt, who for several years was one of the prominent stock men and best known citizens of this county, died in St. Mary Hospital in Kansas City about 3 o'clock p.m. on last Saturday, November 22, 1919, after a 12 day illness, resulting from taking, three dichloride of mercury tablets. Mr. Platt at the time of his death was 38 years of age. He was a son of Mortimer R. Platt, who, also was well known here, having made many visits here to look after his extensive ranch interests in the southern part of the county. After his father's death several years ago, Virgil assumed entire management of the Platt ranch in this county, making his home on the ranch. About 7 years ago he sold his property in this city, and moved to Kansas City, where he continued to make his home. For a couple of years before moving to Kansas City he made his home in this city, having built and for some time occupied the residence now owned by Alfred Hall. Later, the ranch in this county was sold to John Arrington. Virgil had business interests in Kansas City, his principal investment there being in the stock of the Bell Coal Co., of which he was vice president. He retained his interest in the Platt-Gilchrist Lumber Co. of this city.
In all his business relations Mr. Platt was true to every impulse of honesty and fair dealing, always generous and whole souled, and possessed of a naturally jovial and kind hearted disposition. He thus won many friends among his associates in a social and business way, and all who knew him share alike in the keen sorrow which the announcement of his death brought, and many feel that a real personal friend has been taken away. Burial was made in Kansas City on Monday.
Mr. Platt is survived by his wife and one daughter, Marianna, aged about 8 years; also by three brothers - Mortimer Jr., of Kansas City, and Beverly C. and Ernest C. Platt of Fort Worth, Texas. Mrs. Virgil Platt was formerly Zora Pyle, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Pyle, who were early day residents of this county and later of Emporia. The sincere sympathy of many friends here and elsewhere goes out to the bereaved relatives in their hour of sad affliction.
The Kansas City Star of last Sunday gives the following account of the last sickness of Mr. Platt.
After a heavy dinner at his home, 1 Morningside Drive, the night of November 12, Mr. Platt complained of indigestion. Seeking soda mint, he went to the medicine closet in his dark bathroom. He swallowed three tablets, each containing about eight grains of the poison. Almost immediately after swallowing the tablets and drinking a glass of water he noticed a bitter taste. Turning on the light, he discovered his mistake. He took a homemade emetic while his wife called a nearby doctor. The latter gave him treatment and advised Mr. Platt to call his family physician next day if any effects were noticed.
Dr. Samuel Ayres was called next day and late that day Mr. Platt was taken to St. Mary hospital, where five physicians and surgeons met in consultation. One or more of them remained throughout the struggle.
Mr. Platt showed unusual vitality in the early stages of the battle. He fought on almost equal terms throughout that week, but the poison had spread through his system. Last Monday two of his brothers gave their blood for a transfusion. He rallied after that and for a time his recovery seemed assured.
The collapse came Friday, when, after an especially successful night, hemorrhages weakened his resistance. That night the brothers again gave their blood, but the poison victim's system was too weakened.
Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site!
This RootsWeb website is being created by HTML Guy Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 11 March 2005.