Brutal Murder, Nescatunga Enterprise, 10 July 1886, Comanche County, Kansas Hosted by RootsWeb, the oldest & largest FREE genealogical site. Click here to visit RootsWeb.
Bibliography     Biography     Cemeteries     Churches    Cities & Towns     Clubs     Contributors     Diamond Jubilee    Events     FAQ     Genealogy     Guest Book - Sign     Guest Book - View     History     Links     Maps     News Articles     Newspapers     Opry     Photos     Poetry     Queries     Records     Resources    Satellite Images     Schools     Search     Veterans     HOME

Nescatunga Enterprise, July 10, 1886.


Last Tuesday, near the town of Comanche City, John Nelson was brutally murdered by one Willis.

It seems that there was some feeling of animosity existing between Nelson and Willis. Nelson having been a witness against Willis in a land contest case, as results show the feeling engendered only needed slight provocation to stir up deadly strife.

The facts as near as we can get them regarding the trouble, which resulted in murder, are about as follows: There is a patch of sand plums on Nelson's place; Willis persisted in going there to gather plums, notwithstanding Nelson had notified him that he wanted the plums himself.

On Monday preceding the murder, Nelson's father found Willis gathering plums, and asked him to desist. Willis used abusive language and informed the old man that he would quit when he got ready.

Tuesday, Nelson and Willis met in the patch; what occurred between them is unknown. A couple of men who were gathering plums some distance from where the murder was committed, say they heard the report of a gun and a minute afterwards saw Willis running, gun in hand towards Cavalry creek.

About 2 o'clock in the afternoon some of Nelson's family discovered his dead body. He was laying on his back with his hands over his face; there was a bullet hole in his neck; his forehead had been crushed in with some heavy instrument, and his body had been terribly beaten.

We understand that the two men who saw Willis running away have been arrested. Willis is still at large, a reward of $250 is offered for him.

Clark County Clipper, July 8, 1886.


John Nelson, a quiet orderly young man, was murdered a few miles south of Protection in Comanche County last Tuesday. The foul deed is supposed to have been done by one Geo. B. Reymer.

It seems young Nelson, who had been married only a short time, was still living with his father, Joseph Nelson, and on their place was a very fine patch of sand plums, which they were trying to protect for their own use.

On Sunday Geo. Reymer, living with a Mr. Willis near by, went into the patch and was helping himself, when the old gentleman requested him not to do so, and on Monday it was repeated with a like result.

On Tuesday morning the old gentleman went out with a surveying party and during the forenoon young Nelson walked out to Protection as his family thought, but instead went to the plum patch where he was found dead in the evening. He had been shot from the front with a Winchester ball that passed through his hand and breast. People near by heard the shot and saw Reymer walk hurriedly away with a Winchester in his hand, but suspected nothing wrong. He went to Mr. Willis' where he lived, rested a short time and then walked off with his gun.

Sheriff Bowers of Comanche County has offered a reward of $50, for the arrest of the supposed murderer, and describes him as about 22 years old, height 5 feet 9 in., weight 160 pounds, dark hair, grey eyes, dark complexion and wore a suit of dark colored clothes.

Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news articles and scan of the Nescatunga Enterprise masthead to this web site!

This RootsWeb website is being created by Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 12 Oct 2004.

The following RootsWeb Visitors Counter began counting on 6 July 2008.