Edgar Johnson Accidentally Shot, Comanche County, Kansas Hosted by RootsWeb, the oldest & largest FREE genealogical site. Click here to visit RootsWeb.
Bibliography     Biography     Cemeteries     Churches    Cities & Towns     Clubs     Contributors     Diamond Jubilee    Events     FAQ     Genealogy     Guest Book - Sign     Guest Book - View     History     Links     Maps     News Articles     Newspapers     Opry     Photos     Poetry     Queries     Records     Resources    Satellite Images     Schools     Search     Veterans     HOME

The Western Star, August 5, 1921.


Edgar Johnston, aged 21, and son of Mr. and Mrs. P. A. Johnston, who live three miles west of Coldwater, was accidentally shot while hunting rabbits on Tuesday afternoon. He was riding in a buggy and had just gotten out of the vehicle and was lifting the gun, a hammerless Winchester 22 rifle, to the ground, when in some manner the gun was discharged, the bullet entering an inch or two above the heart and lodging in his back. Edgar, who is in a crippled condition, due to an accident when he was a boy, crawled into the shade and waited for help. The accident occurred about 4 o'clock in the afternoon and for nearly five hours he called for help in vain. The accident happened three quarters of a mile west of the Johnston home. When he did not come in for supper it was thought that he was watching a tractor which was plowing on the farm. When the man on the tractor came to the house about nine o'clock without Edgar, the rest of the family became uneasy and had just started to search for him, when he drove into the yard. Although weak from the loss of blood, he had summoned all his strength and laboriously untied the horse and climbed into the buggy and driven back to the house. He was taken on Wednesday to St. Francis hospital in Wichita and an X-ray picture was made to locate the bullet. It is thought that the wound will not prove fatal. Edgar was accompanied to Wichita by his parents and Dr. E. M. Ireland. His many friends here hope for his speedy recovery. A telegram from Wichita received here Wednesday evening stated that Edgar stood the trip well and that hopes of his recovery were considered quite good.

Thanks to Shirley Brier for finding, transcribing and contributing the above news article to this web site!

This RootsWeb website is being created by HTML Guy Jerry Ferrin with the able assistance of many Contributors. Your comments, suggestions and contributions of historical information and photographs to this site are welcome. Please sign the Guest Book. This page was last updated 9 April 2005.