Ned Christie
 Home | Oklahoma Trails To The Past | Trails to the Past

This site is proud to be a part of TRAILS TO THE PAST.

Ned Christie
(December 14, 1852 — November 3, 1892)

Ned ChristieNed Christie (December 14, 1852 – November 3, 1892), also known as NeDe WaDe (Cherokee), was a Cherokee statesman.

Ned Christie was born at Wauhillau, in the Going Snake District of the Cherokee Nation, in the present-day state of Oklahoma. He was the son of the Removal Era Trail of Tears survivors, Watt and Lydia (Thrower) Christie. They were of the Keetowah band, the most traditional of Cherokee peoples. As a child and young man, Christie was a marble champion, stick ball player and popular fiddle player. Christie was a big man at 6'4", and became a blacksmith and gunsmith. In 1885 he was elected to the tribal Senate. Ned was a member of the executive council (1885) in the Cherokee Nation senate, and served as one of three advisors to Chief Bushyhead.
In May 1887 a U. S. Marshal Daniel Maples was shot and killed in the Cherokee Nation. Christie was accused of the murder by a companion, John Parris, who was at first arrested for the crime. Parris told authorities that Christie had fired the shot that killed Maples. Friends convinced Christie to hide, but he also appealed to the United States Court of the Western District of Arkansas in Fort Smith for bail to allow time to prove his innocence. (This court also had oversight over the Indian Territory.) US Judge Isaac C. Parker did not believe he could comply with the request.

Fort Worth Daily Gazette. (Fort Worth, Tex.) 1882-1891, November 20, 1887

A Batch of United States Prisoners — The Boudinot Case

Special to the Gazette
Fort Smith, Ark., Nov. 19 — Deputy United States Marshal J R Cole came in today from the Cherokee nation with six prisoners, among them the notorious Bud Trainor who surrendered to him some days ago. Trainor was committed to jail to answer a charge of introducing whisky in the Indian Territory and for complicity in the murder of United States Marshal Maples. Trainor says Ned Christie is the man who killed Maples and Christie does not deny the charge but on the contrary admits it to his friends and says he does not propose to surrender. Besides Trainor Deputy Cole registered Bill Middleton, charged with robbery; Seqouyah Houston, Skilly Vainn, Jack Walkingstick, Granville Austin and Stephen Drew for introducing and selling whisky in the Territory.
The Boudinot case is still under investigation, no bond having been allowed yet, though the defendant is allowed to remain at his hotel in charge of a deputy marshal. The friends of B F Stone have been sending in telegrams asking the court to allow no bond until they have a hearing in the matter which is supposed to be the cause of no action having thus far been taken in regard to bail.

{Note: Col. Elias Boudinot Jr. shot and killed the editor of a competing newspaper, B. F. Stone. }

Fort Worth Daily Gazette. (Fort Worth, Tex.) 1882-1891, September 28, 1889


Ned Christie Slain and a United States Marshal Wounded In a Territory Fight

Special to the Gazette
Tahlequah, I. T., Sept. 27 — News was received at noon to–day that one Ned Christie, a desperate outlaw, and murderer of Deputy United States Marshal Maples over a year ago was killed early this morning by a posse of United Stated marshals one of whom was wounded in the fight.

Omaha Daily Bee. (Omaha [Neb.]) 187?-1922, November 03, 1890

Distinguished Outlaw.

Ned Christie , the most distinguished outlaw within the Territory , unless it is Bill Pigeon , is receiving close attention of Deputy Marshals A. B. Ward and C. L. Howdon , says a Muskogee , I. T. special to the St. Louis Republican.
Christie was a member of the Cherokee council, and about two years ago assassinated Deputy United States Marshal Dan Maples, from ambush, for some reason unknown. He at once took to the brush, where he has since been in hiding. About two weeks ago the above named officers learned that Christie was located about fifteen miles northwest of Tahlequah, and they proceeded to his rendezvous with a posse or two. The outlaw, it was discovered, had with him seven pals and brother desperadoes. These men have built two "fort" houses, arranged on an elevation commanding favorable view, and from which forts the inmates have a cross-fire on the only approach to their stronghold. The officers were warned , and after a consultation quietly withdrew, it is believed to make a subsequent attack when the odds are in their favor.

Fort Worth daily gazette. (Fort Worth, Tex.) 1882-1891, November 08, 1890


Bad Indian for Whom the United States Government Offers Rewards.

Ned Christie and His Desperate Deeds — How the Officers Have Failed to Capture Him — His Home a Fort.

Special to the Gazette
Fort Smith, Ark., Nov. 7. — The Indian country has produced some noted desperadoes, in fact a great many but little or nothing has ever been known of them outside the locality in which they lived or operated. Old Tom Starr the Cherokee who died a few days ago at the age of about ninety years had his day and made a record that has never yet been equaled for bloodshed and desperate deeds. Yet, unlike the laterday desperadoes he spent his declining years in peace and quietude and was never punished for any of his misdeeds.

The Barkers, the Wesley Barnet gang, John Barber, Jack Spaniard, Dick Vaun and others all met violent deaths, and, as the saying goes long since "passed in their checks." But one of the latest converts to outlawery is Ned Christie, a Cherokee who is perhaps as desperate a man—white, red or black—as was ever produced in any country. Nearly three years ago a deputy United States marshal named Maples was deliberately

one night in the outskirts of Tahlequah, the capital of the Cherokee Nation, by unknown parties. Several arrests were made and the government offered a reward of $500 for the arrest and conviction of the murderer. This brought to light the fact that Christie was the man who fired the shot and since that time many fruitless efforts have been made to capture him. He lives about fifteen miles from Tahlequah and stays at home most of the time. A little over a year ago two deputy marshals with a posse of five men surrounded his house just before daylight one morning and found him at home to their sorrow. They demanded his surrender and informed him that if he proposed to resist he had best send his family out as they intended to have him if they had to burn down the house. He answered them with a defiant yell, and they heard him ascending to the attic of the building, which was one story and built of logs, the gable ends only being weather boarded. Getting into the loft he kicked off a board and opened fire on the party, which they returned from every direction, each man having "taken a tree." Firing was kept up at intervals for some lime without effect but finally one of the marshals exposed his shoulder and quick as a flash a Winchester ball went crashing through it, inflicting a wound that will make a cripple of the victim for life. This enraged the officers and they set fire to an outhouse hoping to scare out their game without burning the main building. In the meantime Christies wife and son came out of the house and ran off, the boy being fired upon and wounded as he escaped into the brush. The outhouse burned rapidly and lit up the scene, soon spreading to the dwelling but the desperate Indian still held his fort and answered the demands of the officers with shots and yells of defiance. By ths time it was day light and the marshals fearing that Christies wife

and knowing that he had many relatives in the neighborhood, and it being apparent that he would die in the burning house before he would surrender if he had not already been shot took their wounded comrade and retreated to where they had left their horses tied in the woods making their way to Tahlequah the same day. They afterwards learned that Christie was still in the burning building when they left and was wounded in the head but made his escape. The house and all it contained went up in smoke. He kept shady for some time until the excitement died out and then went to work and rebuilt his home, This time he built a bulletproof double log house right in the middle of his field with port–holes on every side. Being entirely open all around it can not be approached from any direction without the approaching party being seen in the day time and he keeps eight or ten dogs which raise a furious alarm if anyous comes around in the night. Being well armed and ammunitioned he stays at home nearly all the time,

Two or three weeks ago two deputy marshals with a posse concluded to give Ned a round and rode boldly up to his little fort in broad daylight, but quietly and peaceably withdrew when they saw the muzzles of several Winchesters protruding from the port holes.
One day last week so it is reliably reported, Ned and two brothers named Squirrell both Cherokees were engaged in a quiet game of "draw" near "Fort" Christie, and fell out over the game. A fight ensued in which Ned was badly cut by the Squirrels once in the shoulder and twice in the head while one of the Squirrells was badly wounded by a shot from Neds pistol. At last accounts none of them were dead.
The fact that Christie is wounded may induce some venturesome deputy marshal to pay him another visit but what the result might be in such an event can not now be told though one thing is certain, if Ned is able to pump cartridges into his gun he

but will fight to the bitter end. There is but one other Indian in the Territory for whom the government offers $500 reward, and that is Bill Pigeon, whose range is not far from the Christie neighborhood and he too killed a deputy marshal, Jack Richardson by name, some time previous to the Maples murder. Pigeon has successfully eluded arrest for about four years never having as yet came in contact with the officers of the law. However he is looked upon as being equally as desperate an Indian as Christie and will never be taken alive.

The Record-Union. (Sacramento, Calif.) 1891-1903, October 12, 1892


Officers Fall in an Attempt to Capture the Notorious Ned Christie.

Tahlequah, I. T., Oct. 11.—An attempt was made this morning at daylight to capture the notorious Ned Christie at his home in the Canney Mountains, fifteen miles east from here. The attacking party were composed of Deputy United States Marshal Milo Creekmore and a number of assistants. When a demand to surrender was made the response was a volley of bullets. Deputy John Fields was mortally wounded and Joseph Bowers seriously hurt.
The officers then warned the women and children to come out of the house, which they did, and were placed under arrest. The posse then set fire to an outbuilding, in the hopes that the flames would communicate to the house, but this failed. Dynamite was then used, but the fuse failed to ignite. Christie still refuses to surrender, and one of the posse was sent here to-night for reinforcements, which have been sent.

The Evening World. (New York, N.Y.) 1887-1931, November 04, 1892, EXTRA 2 O'CLOCK


Several Marshals Wounded In an Attempt to Capturo Him.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS Tahlequah, I. T., Nov. 4.—Deputv marshals surrounded Ned Christies house last night, expecting to capture him when he arose this morning.
The outlaw did not appear, but a man named Arch Wolf came out and was ordered to surrender. He refused and was shot. He crawled into the house, and a fusillade was kept up all day, several marshals were wounded.

The Morning Call. (San Francisco, Calif.) 1878-1895, November 05, 1892


Desperate Fight Bstween Benegades and Deputy Marshals.

Tahlequa, I. T., Nov. 4.—Ned Christy, a noted outlaw for whom the officers have been searching for some time, was killed to–day.
A posse of United States Deputy Marshals headed by Dick Bruce surrounded his cabin this morning. When one of Christy's companions came out he was summoned to surrender, but replied with a shot from a Winchester, and his companions in the house also fired a volley.
Then began a battle which lasted all day without damage on either side. This evening the officers resorted to dynamite and succeeded in blowing down a part of the cabin and setting fire to the remainder.
While the blaze was at its height Cnristy tried to escape, and, failing to halt when ordered, was brought to the ground riddled with bullets. His companion gave himself up. The body of Charles Wolff, who was wounded In the morning, was burned to a crisp in the cabin. The females of the family had been allowed to retreat at the beginning of the fight.

Today Christie is honored by a plaque at the Cherokee Court House in Tahlequah, Oklahoma, the oldest public building in the state. The memorial reads that he was "assassinated by U. S. Marshals in 1892." The Fort Smith Historical Site also has material recognizing Christie's assassination.
Return To Cherokee Nation Index
This page was last modified on July 10, 2018