Early Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana
Wea township


   
   

Tippecanoe County Area area Genealogy Society members, aka: TIPCOA, published this list of early school houses in Tippecanoe County.  This database is an effort to help others find, share and preserve this early history.  Information came from history books and from past newsletter issues as well as other resources sourced below to publish our newsletters. Many photographs were contributed by our members. We would love your help. You can send us a scanned photograph and the picture information, or a webpage that I can link?  Help us all continue to share this history. Thanks to our members and Susan Clawson, our Newsletter Editor.

E-mail: TIPCOA SCHOOL INFO.  Scanned digital copies, please add your source and your name as contributor.
Or mail to - P. O. Box 2464, West Lafayette, Indiana 47996.

Fairfield, Jackson, Lauramie, Perry, Randolph, Sheffield, Shelby, Tippecanoe, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne.

 

School symbols are showing on the County and township maps. 1878 County map showing townships and some school locations. & the 1878 Atlas of Tippecanoe county. WEA Township maps. (Historic Map Works)  Click a few times to blow the map up. Look for the matching section number.

 

       Schools in Wea Townships

      Originally published in the TIPCOA Newsletter Winter 2011  issue #1.

             Numbered Schools for Wea Township:

No.  1.  Brady, aka, Reser Section 11 on SR 52. The location illustrated on the 1878 Atlas appears to be just south of the new overpass over the railroad tracks, although the location is escribed in “History of Wea Township” as SR 52 and 350S. This was the last school open in the township (Hooker). It may have offered some high school courses as Wea Township High School (“Students”); closed 1911. See Wea Township High School.
No.  2.  Reser, aka,Fischer Section 9 150E (S 18th) and 350S (Veterans Memorial Parkway) (1878 Atlas and “History”); closed in 1904.
No.  3.  Leaming, aka, Lehman, ala, Layman Section 8 west of Old Romney Rd. and 300 S (“History”), but shown in the 1878 Atlas at what is now the southeast corner of SR231 and 300S, across from the Protestant Methodist Church; closed in 1915. “History of Wea Township” says this was the last district school in the township to be closed.
No.  4.  Ray, aka, Hall Section 17 (in 1878 Atlas), E of SR231 on 500S near Mayflower Mill elementary school, on Ray land in 1878 Atlas; “History of Wea Township” says it was located on 700S near 450E. It closed in 1903 or 1904
No.  5.  Earl, aka, Kenny Section 15 (in 1878 Atlas, at 450S east of Concord Rd [250E]), near Kenny cemetery, but “History of Wea Township” says it was on 400S near 250E. It closed in 1903.
No.  6.  Grubtown, aka, Campbell, Ash, aka,  Roudebush, aka, DeHart Section 25 School, sec. 25, W of 450E on 700S (1878 Atlas). The school was shown on DeHart land in 1878; closed in 1905.
No.  7.  Roudebush, aka, Greenhill Section 34 where 750S meets 200E (1878 Atlas); closed in 1904. However, Susan has found some confusion on different sources. Read more below.
No.  8  Talbert Section 32 SR 43S (US231S) and 700S (“History”), shown at that location in the 1878 Atlas on land that belonged to W. Talba; closed in 1911.
No.  9.  McCoy, aka, Spring Grove Section 27 300E and 600S (“History” and 1878 Atlas), next to Spring Grove cemetery and church (600S goes on West to become Wea School Road); closed in 1903.
No. 10.  Chicken Coop Section 3 corner of 250S near 250E (Brady Lane and Concord Road) according to the “History of Wea Township,” but not shown on the 1878 map; closed in 1903.

During the days of early white settlement, the area now in Wea Township was part of Fairfield, Randolph, and Lauramie townships. The first school was held in 1825 in a cabin on the farm of Samuel Black (later elected school commissioner). This school was called Black School and is reported to have been the second school in Tippecanoe County. “Education was not compulsory then and school lasted only four months out of the year” (“History”). In 1827 Joseph Tatman taught in a school by the Little Wea Creek. Later there was a school on the farm of Stephen Kennedy known as the Yount Schoolhouse (DeHart). Around 1850 education in the area grew to include ten one-room schools scattered across the township (“History”). In 1857, Wea Township was created. In the 1860s, red schoolhouses, all of the same design, replaced earlier buildings (“Students”). By 1878, there were nine district schools in Wea Township, and the school year lasted eight months (1878 Atlas, p. 25).

More on No. 7. Roudebush, Greenhill, , where 750S meets 200E (1878 Atlas). However, Grubtown, Campbell, Ash, Roudebush is described as at 200E and 750S in “History of Wea Township” and by Lemuel Hudlow. Greenhill school is described as at 500S near SR43S (US231S) in “History” and as “over by the old Earl place” by Hudlow.   Lemuel Hudlow remembered that Peyton Ash built the Grubtown Campbell Ash Roudebush school in the 1850s and served as the first trustee. Mr. Ash lived nearby on a farm known as the Roudebush farm and the school was built on Roudebush land. The surrounding community was known as Grubtown, because of the life-sustaining supplies available there. Grubtown included a small grocery store east of the Concord bridge over Wea Creek on 800S (the Attica Road) that sold “pop” when soda pop was new, and the site came to be called Pop Center. The Grubtown community was spread out along 800S and 200E (the intersection was then called Cottonwood Corner because of the tall trees there). The school stood on 200E where 750S forms a T as it comes in from the west. Teachers included Will Campbell, Mary Cox, John Monk, George Revis, Mamie Throckmorton, Mr. McBroom, and Dr. Whalen. Several teachers boarded with Henry and Nettie Ilgenfritz. After it was closed, the building was used as aresidence (Hudlow). The location describes the school numbered 7 on the 1878 map, but the name is theone Hooker and Cheesman assign to school number 6. It is possible that the names or the numbers havebeen reversed.

WEA HIGH SCHOOL 1911-1958. In 1896 (Hooker says 1892) the first building was erected on Wea’s present site, at the intersection of 200E and Wea School Road. It contained two rooms andhoused a three-year high school program. In 1898 it offered two years of high school work (Hooker),and in 1899 Wea High School graduated its first graduating class. In 1900, two more rooms were added (Hooker). In 1911 a new building was erected at a cost of $25,000 (Hooker). It was a two-story brick building with basement and nine classrooms (Horwood). There was a store across the street (Thompson). Wea High School was certified in 1912 and commissioned in 1914 (Hooker, p. 129). The 1939 graduates were from the families of Burkhart, Knowles, Morehouse, Rayburn, Timmons, and
Wilson. Prof. Oakel F. Hall was one of the teachers (Debbie Frantz, “Commencement Program”). In1958, Wea High School consolidated with four other County high schools to form Southwestern High School. In 1975 McCutcheon High School opened. It replaced both Wainwright and Southwestern High Schools. Part of the old school still stands on Wea School Road. The building and the accompanying ball fields on Wea School Road, as well as new ones on S 18th St. (CR150E), are still inheavy use today.

Other schools:
Edglea, Miami, and Earhart schools are located in Wea Township, but are a part of the Lafayette School Corporation. Mayflower Mill, also in Wea Township, is part of the Tippecanoe School Corporation. Edgelea School, built in 1955, is located at the southwest corner of S 18th St. and Beck Lane. It built by National Homes Corp. In 1962 Miami School was built in Tecumseh addition (“History”). In 1995Amelia Earhart School opened on S 9th St. (Amelia Earhart school website). Mayflower Mill Elementary School opened in 1971 (“History”) on 500S east of SR231.




Wea High School 1911.This building replaced the earlier school.
(Source: “Lafayette/West Lafayette Nostalgia-Do You Remember” photograph album: on Facebook.com).


SOURCES USED:
Biographical Record and Portrait Album 1888

Borum, Helen. “History of Jackson Township, Tippecanoe Co.” 1937. Transcribed Mildred Hanselman, 1975. TCHA vertical file.

“A Brief History of Schools in Perry Township, Tippecanoe County.” Comp. Mrs. Francis__??__. TCHA vertical file.

Cheesman, David R. Past and Present Towns, Villages and Cemeteries of Tippecanoe County, Indiana.     Privately printed, about 1980.

DeHart, Richard. Past and Present. 2 vols. Indianapolis: Bowen, 1909. Author of chapter on  schools is Brainard  Hooker.

Horwood, Murray P. Public Health Survey of Lafayette, Indiana and Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Lafayette, IN: Tippecanoe Co. Tuberculosis Assoc., 1921. Accessed on Google Books, 3 Aug. 2010.

Frantz, Debbie. “Commencement program, 1939 class of Wea High School.” Intippec Archives, 6 Mar 2008.

Hanselman, Mildred Poisel, with help from Mark Beers for school locations. West Point Memory Book.
1998.

“History of Wea Township 1857-1975.” TIPCOA Newsletter Issue 2 (2008): 3-14.

Hudlow, Lemuel, as recorded by his daughter Eva Hudlow Rush and published by Alameda McCollough under the title of “Let’s Go See” in Weatenotes, TCHA Newsletter, June 1974.

Hooker, Brainard. The First Century of Public Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana. Lafayette IN: Haywood, 1917.

Horwood, Murray P. Public Health Survey of Lafayette, Indiana and Tippecanoe County, Indiana.

Lafayette, IN: Tippecanoe Co. TB Assoc., 1921. Accessed on Google Books, 3 Aug. 2010.

Indiana Inventory of the County Archives of Tippecanoe County (Lafayette). Indianapolis: Indiana
Historical Records Survey, 1941.

Reser notebook, Tippecanoe Journal, 21 Aug. 1845 [1945?], TCHA Vertical file

“The Road Least Taken.” By Paula Woods and Fern Martin. Lafayette [Ind.] Leader, about 1990.

“Students Faced Challenging Curriculum.” TSC Newsletter. Fall 1991.

Thompson, Jim. Personal interview, 18 Sept. 2010.

Woods, Paula, and Fern Martin. Traveling through Tippecanoe. St. Louis, MO: Bradley, 1992.

TIPCOA Home   |   Online Resources    Churches   |   Meetings   | Cemeteries |


© June 2021 Tippecanoe County Area Genealogical Society,  L. A. Clugh, webmaster