Early Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana
Wabash township


Tippecanoe County Area area Genealogy Society members, aka: TIPCOA, published this list of early school houses in Tippecanoe County.  This database is an effort to help others find, share and preserve this early history.  Information came from history books and from past newsletter issues as well as other resources sourced below to publish our newsletters. Many photographs were contributed by our members. We would love your help. You can send us a scanned photograph and the picture information, or a webpage that I can link?  Help us all continue to share this history. Thanks to our members and Susan Clawson, our Newsletter Editor..

E-mail: TIPCOA SCHOOL INFO.  Scanned digital copies, please add your source and your name as contributor.
Or mail to - P. O. Box 2464, West Lafayette, Indiana 47996.

Fairfield, Jackson, Lauramie, Perry, Randolph, Sheffield, Shelby, Tippecanoe, Union, Washington, Wayne & Wea..


School symbols are showing on the County and township maps. 1878 County map showing townships and some locations.  The 1878 map shows districts 1-10, outside the Lafayette Corporation limits. These districts were administered by the Fairfield township trustee and advisory board until they were closed or incorporated into the city schools.  1878 Atlas page of Wabash Township map. (Historic Map Works)  Look for the matching section number. 1894 Cory & Sons map for Wabash township, top half & Bottom half of 1894. Some parts missing.


       Schools in Wabash Townships

        Originally published in the TIPCOA Newsletter Winter 2011  issue #2.

               Numbered Schools for Perry Township:

No.  1.  Jamison, aka, Grange Hall Section 11 (T24 R5, in the northern half of the township), 5 mi. north of US 52 on Dresser Road, at the corner of 850N and 300W. On the 1878 map there appear to be two buildings side by side marked “Grange Hall” and S.H. No. 1. Pictures taken in 1901 and 1905 show a brick building. Teachers included L. K. Cottington, Rev. Ernest Linton, and Miss Crider (TCHA Vertical file). It was a one-room wood frame building in 1921 (Horwood). On January 27, 1922, the school burned to the ground, but Miss Crider got all her students out without injury (“Out of the Past,” 27 Jan. 1932).
No.  2.  Octagon, aka, Round Section 16 (T24 R5), called Round School because of the shape of the building, which was torn down about 1872. The map in the 1878 Atlas shows the community of Octagon P.O. at this location at the crossroads of 750N and 450W. There are symbols representing a Masonic Hall, a store, a blacksmith shop, and a UB church. The designation S. H. No. 2 is written along the top of the symbol for the Masonic Hall, suggesting the school was meeting in the two-story lodge hall. An eight-sided one-room building called Octagon School was erected in 1914. It was designed on the “ideal plan”: adjustable seats, windows admitting light only from the north, heated by a Smith Heater. All eight grades were taught (Hooker; Woods and Martin p. 82). Horwood described it as a one-room stucco in 1921 (Horwood). The town of Octagon is still marked on some county maps, although the school has long been closed
No.  3.  Hebron Section 35 where 500N crosses Morehouse Road, and Taft Roads into the intersection. Morehouse Road was then part of the Hebron Gravel. The school, originally a one-room building, is shown on the map in the 1878 Atlas beside a Baptist Church. In 1888 a tworoom school was built. Horwood identifies the school as a two-room brick building still open in 1921. The Hebron school was closed in 1926, when Klondike School opened (“2-Room School”). See also Hebron High School  (1866 symbol)
No.  4.  Union Hall Section 3 (T23 R5), located at the intersection of what is now US52 (US231) and CR400W, west of the present-day town of Klondike, which is located at the intersection of US52 (US231) and CR300W (Klondike Road). It closed in 1910 (Hooker).
No.  5.  Morris Section 11 (T23 R5), on the road now called McCormick Road, stood on land entered by Cornelius and William Morris and .and Samuel Martin In 1879, it was a one room brick.  About 1897, the teacher was Edna Gather (TCHA Vertical file.) It was still open in 1916 (Hooker). It is not mentioned by Horwood in 1921. (Now being restored, see story below)
No.  6.  Castor Section 6 (T23 R5), at the corner of Yeager and Kohlerer Roads. The school stood on Castor land in 1878. It was a one-room brick in 1921 (Horwood).
No.  7.  Science Hall, aka, Grand View Section 18 (T23 R5), north of Chauncey on Salisbury St. just past the intersection with Grant St. In 1916 the Science Hall building was sold (“Out of the Past,” 12 June 1942). A new frame building was erected at a cost of $3,900, and the name changed to Grand View (Hooker, includes photo). In 1921, Grand View was still open as a one-story frame building with a basement, offering only one classroom (Horwood).
No.  8.  Wea View Section 23 (T23 R5), in the southern part of the township to the west of Chauncey/Kingston, on Sharon Chapel Road just south of where it crosses Newman Road. It was one of the first to be opened in the township and one of the last to be closed, in 1916 (Rotman, Hooker). A recent Purdue University archeological dig turned up artifacts. The location is identified as a school lot in an 1855 plat map, and the house is first illustrated on the 1866 map. In Hooker’s 1916 map, it is represented by the symbol for a 2-room consolidated school. The enrollment was 45 in 1868, 58 in 1869, and 58 in 1871. Teachers included S. H. Edwards (1868- 69), Sarah J. Hoilman (1870), Mr. Einsil (1870), Peter M. Wiles (1871), G. H. Wilkinson (1896), Miss Andrew, and Miss Ogden. The lot had a fence along the eastern and southern boundaries. The interior plaster walls were painted dark red, deep brown, and lime green at various times. There were three outside privies. The building was also used for community events, which may The original clapboard schoolhouse was replaced by a brick schoolhouse, probably about 1875, following a fire in the original building (Rotman). The building was sold in 1917 (“Out of the Past, 12 June 1942), and was torn down in the 1950s (Rotman). In 1917, a new building was erected midway between Wea View and Fox Den schools (“Out of the Past,” 9 June 1941)
No.  9.  Jacob’s Temple Section 22 (T24 R5), located at the intersection of CR600N and 375W, in the northern part of the township. This school is marked on the 1878 Atlas. It closed in 1906 (Hooker).
No. 10.  Number Ten, aka, Mug Section 10 (T23 R5), on SR 26 at its intersection with CR400W, 200N, and Jackson Highway. This section of SR26 and Jackson Highway formed part of the Oxford-Lafayette Gravel Road in 1878. A large landowner at that location was J. Mugg, which probably explains the name Mug School. It is marked on the 1878 map. The teacher in 1886 was John Golden. The building burned the night of January 12, 1886, but was rebuilt. The school was still open in 1916 (Hooker). Horwood described it in 1921 as a one-room brick school. It was closed in 1926 when the Klondike school opened. That same year the No. 10 Grange #2313 (a fraternal organization for farmers) purchased the property. The building was renovated in 1986 (“Celebrating”; “Number Ten”).
No.  11.  Flat Creek Section 4 (T24 R5) in the northern part of the township, stood along 450W near Burnett Creek. This school appears on the 1878 Atlas and closed in 1906 (Hooker).
No.  12.  Fox Den Section 22 (T23 R5), in the southern part of the township. In 1878, the school is shown on what is now Division Rd to the west of CR350W, near a small creek. The location changed in 1897 when a new house was built.
No.  13.  Union Section ?? School exact location unknown. Open after 1878? Hooker lists this school, and his 1894 and 1917 maps show a school northwest of school No. 4 and southwest of school No. 9, near Shelby Township, one that isn’t on the 1878 map. A 1908 map shows a school in sec. 28 at the township line on the north side today’s 500N. Horwood lists a one-room brick school called Union still open in 1921.

Schools of Wabash Township:
The first school to open in Wabash Township was a subscription school taught by Sanford C. Cox in 1832 in a newly erected building. District schools existed in the township as early as 1841. Records have survived for years between 1841 and 1855 listing from 6 to 9 districts. By 1878 there were 12 district schools teaching the “common branches” (1878 Atlas, p. 26). The final count of district schools was 13. Total enrollment for Wabash Township in 1878 was 670 scholars (1878 Atlas). There were twelve teachers in the township in 1879, but only ten in 1916 as a result of consolidation (Hooker)

No. 3. Hebron school. Photo courtesy of L.A. Clugh, 2003

Inside look at Hebron about 1908. Courtesy of Toni Butcher.

Morris,  No.5. Photo courtesy of L.A. Clugh, 2006

Wea View, No. 8.  Photo from Brainard Hooker

Number Ten,  aka, Mug, No.10 Photo courtesy of L.A. Clugh, 2006

Fox Den #12, courtesy TIPCOA member Kathy Hiser


HEBRON HIGH SCHOOL, 1894–1915. Eight grades plus 1–3 yrs of high school were taught in a two-room brick building, which was erected in 1894 (Hooker, p. 127). In 1915 it was reduced to a district school (Hooker). Hooker asserts that the presence of three surrounding high schools caused the closing of Hebron High School (p. 105). KLONDIKE HIGH SCHOOL, 1926–1970. Grades 1–12. Consolidated in 1970 with East Tipp and Battleground to form Harrison High School (Klondike High School Alumni).

West Lafayette Schools Chauncey School (?-1892). The area on the south side of North Street between Salisbury and Chauncey streets has been used for school purposes since settlement began in the area. The first school was a log structure later replaced by a frame building. The plat for Kingston in 1855 designated a school lot at the corner of North and Salisbury Streets that was donated by the founders. The Chauncey Public School is listed in the Lafayette City directory as early as 1873. In March 1875, teachers were Minnie Wallace and Thomas McCarthy. In 1875 a two-story, fourroom brick building was erected (Lafayette, Ind. Sunday Morning Leader). The 1878 Atlas speaks of the Public School of Chauncey, a “very handsome edifice” with four departments and competent instructors and an enrollment of 362. In 1887 the building was remodeled and two rooms were added (Lafayette, Ind. Daily Courier). Ninth grade classes began in 1885. In 1890 a fire caused by a gas leak in the furnace destroyed the aging brick building. Classes were held in temporary rooms until a new building could be erected: Morton School (Hayman, p. 29; Stallard). Morton School (1892-1985), corner of North and Chauncey (222 N. Chauncey). Elementary school. Previous buildings were called Chauncey School. The name Morton school, after Gov. Oliver P. Morton, was first applied in 1892, when the rest of the lots on the block were purchased and a two-story brick and stone building (the 4th building) was constructed at the corner of North and Chauncey. The 5th building stood at the east end of the block, at the corner of North and Salisbury. The present (6th) building was erected in 1929 at the west end at the corner of North and Chauncey, beside the old building. In 1930 the 5th building was demolished in order to build the present playground. The school closed in 1985. The building now houses the Morton Community Center (Morton Community Center Website).

Oakwood School (Dec. 1899-1921?), northwest corner of S. Grant and Steeley Streets, in the Oakwood Addition. The four-room school was designed as an elementary, but the first high school classes in West Lafayette met there in 1900-06, until the West Lafayette High School was built. Then Oakwood was again used as an elementary until it was closed and sold after WWI (Kriebel et al. p. 76; Hayman, p. 31).

WEST LAFAYETTE HIGH SCHOOL (1896-present). High school classes began in West Lafayette in 1896 in the first Morton Elementary School (built 1892) at the corner of North and Salisbury. High school classes moved to Oakwood School in 1900 and remained there until the new high school opened (Kriebel et al., p. 76). A two-story red brick building (with basement) was constructed in 1905-06 at the corner of Fowler and Vine streets. It was doubled in size in 1915.  The high school moved out in 1939 and the building became a Junior High (Kriebel et al., p. 76). This building was demolished in the 1960s (Ross). The present building at 1105 N. Grant St. was constructed in 1939 of cream-colored brick and glass, and remodeled in the 1990s (“West Lafayette Junior-Senior High School”).

A snippet of the history of a County Superintendent John M. Sullins: 
 On March 3, 1890, John M. Sullins was appointed upon the resignation of Mr. Caulkins, County Superintendent. He served in this capacity until 1899. On 1892, on the order of the County Board, Mr. Sullins issued the first published report. For this year the report indicated that the grade schools had the number of teachers indicated: Stockwell 4, Romney 2, Sugar Grove 2, West Point 2, Dayton 3, Buck Creek 2, Colburn 2, Montmorenci 2, Clarks Hill 4 and Battle Ground 3. The outline of study for Grade Schools for 1893 covers ninth and tenth years work, which seems to indicate that but two years’ high school work was done in the County at this time. Mr. Sullins/s report of 1899, the last year of his term of office, indicates that the High School courses of study for the County covered three years; and that there were third year students in the following schools: Stockwell, Clarks Hill, Sugar Grove, West Point, Dayton, Buck Creek, Colburn and Battle Ground. There were two years of high school at Wea and Montmorenci, and but one years work at Elston. It may be said that this administration did much toward elevating the high schools, and much of this was done by closing small districts. Mr. Sullins’s report for 1890 indicates that there were 149 district schools in operation. His report for 1899 shows 122 districts. During his term, there were 27 districts closed; hence the policy of consolidating schools had been given a strong impetus by Mr. Sullins.
Hooker, Brainard. The First Century of Public Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana. Lafayette IN: Haywood, 1917. – 100-103.


1866 C. O. Titus Wall Map of Tippecanoe.  Now on Library of Congress

1878 Atlas, Kingman Bros.

1908 Tippecanoe County, Ind. Highway Map. Rand McNally, 1908.

Biographical Record and Portrait Album. 1888 “2-Room School Gives Way to Today.” Lafayette, Ind. Journal and Courier, 27 Feb. 1987. TCHA Vertical file. “

Celebrating the No. 10 Grange.” Lafayette, Ind. Journal and Courier, 31 Mar. 1986.

Cheesman, David R. Past and Present Towns, Villages and Cemeteries of Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Privately printed, about 1980.

DeHart, Richard. Past and Present. 2 vols. Indianapolis: Bowen, 1909. Author of chapter on schools is Brainard Hooker.

Hayman, Allen, ed. The Heritage 75-76: Commemorative Book of Tippecanoe County 1826-1976. Lafayette, IN:
Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce, 1976.

 Hooker, Brainard. The First Century of Public Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana. Lafayette IN: Haywood, 1917.

Horwood, Murray P. Public Health Survey of Lafayette, Indiana and Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Lafayette, IN: Tippecanoe Co. TB Assoc., 1921. Accessed on Google Books, 3 Aug. 2010.

Indiana Historic Sites and Structures Inventory. Sheets describing Hebron School #3, Morris School #5,
 Number Ten School #10, and Fox Den School #12. TCHA Vertical file.

 Klondike High School Alumni Website. Accessed Fall 2010.

 Kriebel, Robert C., Fern Honeywell Martin, Ernest Wilkerson, and Paula Alexander Woods.
   Tippecanoe at 2000: A Hoosier County Recalls Its Past. TCHA Millennium Committee. Lafayette, Ind.: Lafayette Printing,    1999–2000.

Lafayette City (and County) Directories. TCHA Research Library.
  Lafayette, Ind. Sunday Morning Leader. 28 Mar. 1875 and 24 Oct. 1875. TCHA Vertical file.
   Lafayette, Ind. Daily Courier. 21 June 1887. TCHA Vertical file.

Morton Community Center Web Page. City of West Lafayette, Ind. . Accessed 1 July 2010.
“Number Ten Community.” TIPCOA Newsletter (Wabash Township). No. 3 (2008): 6.

“Out of the Past.” Lafayette Journal and Courier. Various dates. TCHA Vertical file.

Ross, Ben L. “West Lafayette High School.” Ben L. Ross Webpage. 25 Feb. 2006. Accessed 29 Jan. 2011.

Rotman, Deborah L. “Rural Education and Community Social Relations: Historical Archaeology of the
   Wea View Schoolhouse No. 8, Wabash Township, Tippecanoe County, Indiana.” The Archaeology of Institutional life.
   Ed. April M. Beisaw and James G. Gibb. Tuscaloosa: U of Alabama P, 2009. 69–85.

Stallard, Charles T. “West Lafayette, Indiana.” Manuscript. 22 Feb. 1948. TCHA Vertical file. West Lafayette Alumni Webpage. Accessed 29 Jan. 2011. . Lists graduates 1928-2009.

“West Lafayette Junior-Senior High School.” Wikipedia. 25 Jan 2011. Accessed 29 Jan. 2011. . Woods, Paula, and Fern Martin. Traveling through Tippecanoe. St. Louis, MO: Bradley, 1992.

Newspaper article on Morris School

Inside look at Hebron about 1908. Courtesy of Toni Butcher, 2021 Facebook post.

Wea View photo by TIPCOA member Kathy Hiser.

New find. 2020.

Morris School One Room Schoolhouses in Tippecanoe County from 1865-1873  History by Lafayette Kiwanis Club


TIPCOA Home   |   Online Resources    Churches   |   Meetings   |  Cemeteries

© June 2021 Tippecanoe County Area Genealogical Society,  L. A. Clugh, webmaster