Early Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana
Lauramie township


Tippecanoe County Area area Genealogy Society members, aka: TIPCOA, published this list of early school houses in Tippecanoe County.  This database is an effort to help others find, share and preserve this early history.  Information came from history books and from past newsletter issues as well as other resources sourced below to publish our newsletters. Many photographs were contributed by our members. We would love your help. You can send us a scanned photograph and the picture information, or a webpage that I can link?  Help us all continue to share this history. Thanks to our members and Susan Clawson, our Newsletter Editor.

E-mail: TIPCOA SCHOOL INFO.  Scanned digital copies, please add your source and your name as contributor.
Or mail to - P. O. Box 2464, West Lafayette, Indiana 47996.

Fairfield, Jackson, Perry, Randolph, Sheffield, Shelby, Tippecanoe, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne & Wea.


School symbols are showing on the County and township maps. 1878 County map showing townships and some locations.  The 1878 map shows districts 1-10, outside the Lafayette Corporation limits. These districts were administered by the Fairfield township trustee and advisory board until they were closed or incorporated into the city schools.  1878 Atlas of Tippecanoe county. Lauramie Township maps. (Historic Map Works)  Click a few times to blow the map up. 

           Schools in Lauramie Townships

             Originally published in the TIPCOA Newsletter Winter 2010  issue #3.

               Numbered Schools for Lauramie Township: 

                Because Lauramie Township lies in two civil ranges, some sections have the same number. The abbreviation
R (for range) has been added to distinguish them.

No.  1.  Concord Section 2 R4, named for town; closed 1906. Personal home today.
No.  2.  Little Brown Section 13 R3. The school house was first painted brown, then white; closed in 1906.  Students were from families of Wright, McKee, Bell, Eberhart, Bowles, Arnold, Richards, Osborn, Shafer, and Abrams (clipping, TCHA vertical file).
No.  3.  Prairie Section 23 R4, near Chizum’s ME Chapel; closed in 1904
No.  4.  Boggs Section 35 R4; closed in 1905 .
No.  5.  Clarks Hill Section 23 R3; 1861 one-room frame building, teachers Nettie Thompson, Florence Crick, Miles Carver;  1868-70 subscription high school in old Masonic Hall (Ream and Ream). 2 teachers in 1885, 3 in 1890 (Hooker).
No.  6.  Cartmill Section 12 R4; closed in 1890
No.  7.  Yorktown Section 21 R3, named for town of Yorktown, located S of Stockwell; closed in 1906
No.  8  Brushwood Section 30 R3; closed in 1902
No.  9.  Pierce Section 27 R3; closed in 1901
No. 10.  Stockwell Section 8 R3, 1 teacher in 1869, 1871, 1875; 2 in 1874; 3 in 1879; 2 in 1882 and 4 in 1890 (Hooker). Closed in 1890 (Cheesman).  See Stockwell Collegiate Institute.
No.  11.  Monroe Section 10 R3, named for town, 1 teacher in 1881; 2 in 1879 and 1888, 1 in years before it closed in 1911. Last district school in the township (DeHart).
No.  12.  Gladden Section 10 R4, district school a frame building with bell tower, closed in 1906. Gladden or Gladden’s Corner was a community named for a local family. See also Gladden’s  Corner High School.
No.  13.  Redwood Section 28 R3, named for its color in 1872, closed in 1906
No.  14.  Swede Section 30 R3, probably named for community of folks from Sweden, frame building similar to Gladden School, closed in 1906. This school was located 6 miles west and a little south of Clarks Hill. The teacher in 1902-03 was Miss Anna Creswell. Family names of pupils included Hinton, Patton, Summers, Davis, Parvis, Horney, Isfalt, and Erickson (“Fountain of Learning”).
No.  15.  Youngs’, aka, Sunny Side Section 35 R3, brick building with a bell tower on the oof; closed in 1902
No.  16.  Fidler’s Section 1 R4. Pupils had to cross a stile to get to the school. This was a frame building with a bell tower on the roof (Lafayette Journal and Courier). Closed in 1906. No. 17. Swamp Angel, section 36, on Wildcat Prairie; closed in 1890.
No.  17.  Swamp Angel Section 36 Located on Wildcat Prairie; closed in 1890.

“The public school system traveled a rocky course until the 1850 era. At the start money was a basic problem. The constitution provided for public schools, ‘Wherein tuition will be gratis and equally open to all,’ but failed to set up an effective means of financing them. In 1829 Mr.
Carmine [or Cormeen] opened a subscription school, the first in the township, and although a very rude affair, it was, like many of that period, the spot where bright intellects received their early impressions and training” (Morgan). In 1840, the first school house at Clarks Hill was built on the William Bryant farm, 2 mi. SE of town. It was a log, one-room building and may have been called Bower School (Ream and Ream).

Gladden No. 12
Photograph of Gladden School.  Courtesy of Tippecanoe
County Historical Association
1915 Article  on Gladdens Corner, contributed by Peggy Bryant

, 1861-1894. “The town of Stockwell, when
platted by the Stockwell Company, in September 14, 1859, set aside 17 and 1/2 acres for an Academy. The first bricks were laid in 1860. It was dedicated August 22, 1861 and placed under the patronage of the Northwestern Indiana Conference of the M. E. Church and called the Stockwell Collegiate Institute. The students were expected to attend religious services every morning and church and lectures on Sunday. There is no list of those who attended this Institute. Some of the Principals for this Institute were: Rev. Henry Godden Jackson, J. A Richard, A. R. Brown, J. P Rouse, R. D. Utter, J. G. Laird, H. A. Merrill and Mr. Owen.  In 1895 the Academy was razed. A new school had been built” (Morgan). See sketch on p. 10 of this newsletter.

, built in 1906 to replace Concord, Gladden,
Swede, Fidler, Prairie, and Boggs district schools; noncertified high school in 1909 (DeHart, p. 357; Hooker, p. 132). Closed about 1929 (Horwood).

. On September 15, 1894, a new school building was
dedicated in Stockwell, replacing the Institute (Morgan). This building was replaced in 1913. “The building was of brick and almost fireproof, affording the students a splendid place to study. The school contained ten classrooms and a large study hall. The adjoining gymnasium, constructed in 1926, housed the school lunch program and the home economics department. The school was a consolidation of Stockwell, Gladden's Corner, and Concord Schools” (Morgan). In 1955, Stockwell consolidated with Clarks Hill to form Lauramie High School.

, a frame one-room building was erected in 1861. Another
room was added later. In 1882 the first brick school was built, a 2-story building with 3 rooms.  This was followed by a two-story frame building used while the second building was under construction. The new building (two-story) opened in 1900. A gymnasium was added in 1926. The school burned in 1932; it was repaired and rebuilt by 1935. It consolidated with Stockwell to form Lauramie High School in 1955. The elementary remained at Clarks Hill, and the Jr/Sr. High School was at Stockwell. The Clarks Hill building remained an elementary until it was closed in 1988 and torn down. Students then went to the new James Cole Elementary School.

1955-1965. Consolidated with Dayton High School to form
Wainwright High School in 1965. In 1975 McCutcheon High School opened, replacing both Wainwright and Southwestern High Schools.

Biographical Record and Portrait Album 1888

Borum, Helen. “History of Jackson Township, Tippecanoe Co.” 1937. Transcribed Mildred Hanselman, 1975. TCHA vertical file.

Cheesman, David R. Past and Present Towns, Villages and Cemeteries of Tippecanoe County, Indiana. 
   Privately printed, about 1980.

DeHart, Richard. Past and Present. 2 vols. Indianapolis: Bowen, 1909. Author of chapter on  schools is Brainard  Hooker.

Horwood, Murray P. Public Health Survey of Lafayette, Indiana and Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Lafayette, IN: Tippecanoe Co.

Tuberculosis Assoc., 1921. Accessed onGoogle Books, 3 Aug. 2010.

Journal and Courier Online. Lafayette, IN. Accessed July 2010. http://www.jconline.com

Lafayette (Ind.) Courier, 1861. Microfilm. Tippecanoe County Public Library.

“Memorial Resolution: George Clinton Price.” Stanford University. Accessed 10 June 2010.

Morgan, Thelma. Stockwell, Indiana. 1997. Consulted at TCHA.

Hooker, Brainard. The First Century of Public Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana.
Lafayette IN: Haywood, 1917.

School census Lauramie TownshipTippecanoe County, Indiana January 1848. Females
Children over age 5


TIPCOA Home   |   Online Resources    Churches   |   Meetings   | Cemeteries    |  

© June 2021 Tippecanoe County Area Genealogical Society,  L. A. Clugh, webmaster