Early Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana
Jackson township


   

Tippecanoe County Area area Genealogy Society members, aka: TIPCOA, published this list of early school houses in Tippecanoe County.  This database is an effort to help others find, share and preserve this early history.  Information came from history books and from past newsletter issues as well as other resources sourced below to publish our newsletters. Many photographs were contributed by our members. We would love your help. You can send us a scanned photograph and the picture information, or a webpage that I can link?  Help us all continue to share this history. Thanks to our members and Susan Clawson, our Newsletter Editor.

E-mail: TIPCOA SCHOOL INFO.  Scanned digital copies, please add your source and your name as contributor.
Or mail to - P. O. Box 2464, West Lafayette, Indiana 47996.

Fairfield, Lauramie, Perry, Randolph, Sheffield, Shelby, Tippecanoe, Union, Wabash, Washington, Wayne & Wea.

 

School symbols are showing on the County and township maps. 1878 County map showing townships and some locations.  The 1878 map shows districts 1-10, outside the Lafayette Corporation limits. These districts were administered by the Fairfield township trustee and advisory board until they were closed or incorporated into the city schools.  1878 Atlas of Tippecanoe county. Jackson Township maps. (Historic Map Works)  Click a few times to blow the map up.

           Schools in Jackson Townships

            Originally published in the TIPCOA Newsletter Winter 2010  issue #3.

               Numbered Schools for Jackson Township:

No.  1.  O'Dell Section 6 O’Dell (Odell) is a town named for early settler John Odell, who settled there in the 1830s. It gained a post office in 1871. Although the post office has been discontinued, the town is still located at the intersection of SR25 and SR28. The first school building was a one-room school. George Price taught there in 1884-85. About 1890, a two room house was constructed. In 1903 the school was located in the Old Masonic Lodge Hall. It closed in 1914. See O’Dell High School.
No.  2.  Granny's Corner, aka, Fairview, aka,  Carter Section 2 located a half mile N of Shawnee Mound (Borum); closed/sold 1914
No.  3.  Shawnee Mound, aka, Wheeler Grove, aka, Shawnee Academy Section 26 Named for Shawnee Mound, a hill said to have been used as a lookout post by Shawnee from a  nearby village. The teacher in 1845 was Ann Manlove (DeHart). One of the first women to teach in Indiana, she rode horseback to school. Her brothers handled her check because she was a woman. In 1850 the old school was replaced with a one-room brick building (Borum), and in 1888 a new brick school house was erected. The school closed in 1903. The old Shawnee Academy building was torn down in 1897 and the newer building was sold in 1914. Student: James Wallace.
No.  4.  Sugar Grove, Section 30 /31 a frame three-room brick of which only two rooms were ever used. There was one teacher employed in this school in 1885; two in 1889. George Price taught there 1885-87; students: Irvin Miller, James Wallace. Closed in 1914
No.  5.  Center, aka, Insley Section 18 in which it was hoped during the 1880s to start a high school for the township. It seems not to have succeeded and was closed in 1889.
No.  6.  Haywood, or Goose-Nibble Section 22 4 ½ mi. N of New Richmond (Borum); closed/sold in 1914.
No.  7.  Sycamore Section 34 2 mi. S of Haywood school (Borum); closed in 1913, sold 1914.
No.  8  Shelby, aka, Jones Section 3 2 mi. N of Haywood school; closed in 1905. (Also possibly known as Jones School.)
No.  9.  McMillan Section 8 this school burned in 1913, and the children transported to No. 4. Replaced by brick building. Sold 1914.
No. 10.   Locust Grove Section 19? located 1 ½ mi. N of Sugar Grove and ½ mi. S of SR28 (Borum), ½ mi. E of the “new centralized school” (Hooker); was abandoned when Sugar Grove Academy opened (Borum). Student: James Wallace.

An early school in the Pinhook area burned and was rebuilt across the road, putting it in Wayne Township (Borum). Shawnee Academy (later school No. 3), was a log building located 1 ½ mi. S of Shawnee Mound on SR 25, in Wheeler’s Grove. It was built in 1833 and offered basic education, not the secondary classes offered by an academy. Students were from the families of Meharry, Newman, Kerr, Pike, Strack, Gilbert, McMillan, Francis, Wheeler, Haywood, House, Bonwell, Doxy, Sayers, Holtsclaw, Insley (Hanselman, Jackson). There were ten district schools in Jackson Township. The teacher was responsible for the heat in the district schools in the winter. It was advantageous to have a janitor who lived near a country school who could tend the furnace in the winter when roads were impassible. Jackson Township High School maintained a home for the janitor for this purpose.

SUGAR GROVE ACADEMY 1856-72. Lot was 8x16 rods, two-story frame building, second story used as church, three rooms on main floor for Academy, outside stairway to second floor, foundation laid on geodes, no picture remains, description by Dr. George W.
Hiett, (Hanselman, Jackson).

SUGAR GROVE HIGH SCHOOL 1872? Opened when Academy closed. Two teachers in 1892; first graduate in 1895; three-year high school in 1907; last year 1907-08 school years. From 1908 to 1914 first eight grades, two teachers. Closed 1914.

O’DELL HIGH SCHOOL 1893. Teacher in 1895 was Effie Kious. Located in the old Masonic Lodge Hall in 1903.

OLD CENTER HIGH SCHOOL 1893-1908. First attempt at a high school located in the country; until then high schools were always associated with a city school system.

JACKSON TOWNSHIP HIGH SCHOOL, located west of Romney (Romney is in Randolph township), was erected in 1914 at a cost of $45,000. Consolidated with four others into Southwestern High School in 1958. In 1975 McCutcheon High School replaced both Wainwright and Southwestern High Schools.


SOURCES USED:
Biographical Record and Portrait Album 1888

Hooker, Brainard. The First Century of Public Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana, (Lafayette IN: Haywood, 1917).

Horwood, Murray P. Public Health Survey of Lafayette, Indiana and Tippecanoe County, Indiana. Lafayette, IN: Tippecanoe Co.
   TB Assoc., 1921. Accessed on Google Books, 3Aug. 2010.


*Mildred Hanselman’s book, Jackson Township High School (1998), contains pictures of schools 1, 2, 3, 6, 9, and 12, and
Sugar Grove School. The book is available at the Tippecanoe County Public Library.

Borum, Helen. “History of Jackson Township, Tippecanoe Co.” 1937. Transcribed Mildred Hanselman, 1975. TCHA vertical file.

Hooker, Brainard. The First Century of Public Schools of Tippecanoe County Indiana. Lafayette IN: Haywood, 1917.

“John Wesley Odell.” Accessed 10 June 2010.
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jacmac/odell.htm.

 


TIPCOA Home   |   Online Resources    Churches   |   Meetings   | Cemeteries   |  


© June 2021 Tippecanoe County Area Genealogical Society,  L. A. Clugh, webmaster