Catholic Parish of St. Casimir South Bend, In
Founded : 1899 Current Parish
Pastor: Rev. Christopher Cox, CSC
AssociatePastor: Rev. Eric Schimmel, CSC
(Click on the Pictures below to see the enlargements)
#1 # 2 # 3 # 4
The Interior of the Church
Another of the Interior
A look at the outside of the Church
The 100 Year Old Interior
Church records, 1899-1927
Catholic Church. St. Casimir's (South Bend, Indiana) (Main Author)
Microfilm of originals in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Text in English and Latin. Most indexed
Baptisms 1899-1906 - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1617057 Item 1
Deaths 1899-1924 - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1617057 Item 2
Marriages 1899-1927 - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1617057 Item 3
Baptisms 1906-1912 - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1617057 Item 4
Baptisms 1906-1924 - FHL US/CAN Film [ 1617057 Item 5
South Bend Public Library
Films are available in the Genealogy Center, second floor, Crimp Film rolls 27
Item 1 Baptism 1899-1906
Item 2 Deaths 1899-1924
Item 3 Marriages 1899-1927
Item 4 Baptism 1906-1912
Item 5 Baptism 1906-1924
Research assistance is available at 574-282-4621 in the Genealogy center
Church Web Site and Contact:
This a magnificent web site with many beautiful pictures and a detailed history of the rich tradition of St. Casimir's parish.
1308 W. Dunham
St. South Bend,
Monday thru Friday 10:00 am - 12:00 noon 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
E-mail: [email protected] or [email protected]
History Of St. Casimir
BEND. St. Joseph County.
St. Casimir's Church.
In the year 1896, Father Czyzewski, anticipating the needs of Polish Catholics in the south-western part of South Bend, bought the four lots of ground on West Dunham and Webster streets.
On September 11, 1898, Rev. Anthony Zubowicz, C. S. C., at the time assistant to Father Czyzewski and the director of St. Hedwig's School, was appointed the pastor of the new St. Casimir's Congregation. He began at once the erection of a building, which was to serve the purposes both of church and school. It is a two-story brick building, 65X125 feet, the first story containing six school-rooms and the second story having seating capacity of 749, costing $25,000. Whilst this building was being erected Father Zubowicz resided at St. Hedwig's.
On March 4, 1899, the new structure was dedicated by the Very Rev. John Guendling, Administrator of the diocese of Fort Wayne.
On April 11, 1899, Father Zubowicz resigned and was succeeded by Rev. Eligius Raczynski, C. S. C. During his pastorate many improvements were made: a beautiful organ was secured for $1,300, together with some statuary, and especially the new parochial residence of brick, 35X44 feet, which cost over $3,000. Quite suddenly, Father Raczynski in the prime of life expired, on June 11, 1902. Two days later, Father Zubowicz again took charge of St. Casimir's Church.
Up to this time the school had been taught by lay men and women, but now it was placed in the charge of the Sisters of Nazareth, who, six in number, live in a rented house one block from the church, and teach 543 children. Five boys of the parish have entered the seminary, and eighteen girls the convent. The census of St. Casimir's Congregation shows a record of 480 families, with a total of 2595 souls.
The societies of the parish are:
St. Casimir's, for men, since 1898, with 250 members; the Sacred
Heart of Jesus Confraternity, since 1899, with 112 members; St.
Stanislaus Kostka's Society, with 200 members; St. Valentine's
Society, since 1902, with twenty-five members; St. Hedwig's
Society, with eighty members; St. Cecilia's Society, since 1901,
with thirty members; St. Casimir's Literary Society, since 1899,
with forty-three members; the Boys' Altar Society, since 1903,
with 75 members; the Ladies' Rosary Sodality with 295 members;
the Young Ladies' Sodality, since 1901, with seventy-two members;
the Children of Mary, since 1903, with forty-seven members.
Rev. Casimir Olszewski was assistant at St. Casimir's Church.
St. Casimir's Church has money in the treasury.
In his 1941 book, The Diocese of Fort Wayne: Fragments of History, Bishop Noll relates that in 1910, Rev. Boniface Iwaszewski was appointed to the pastorate of St. Casimir's, but served as pastor for only 3 months. He was succeeded by the Rev. Stanislaus Gruza, who served as pastor until September, 1915, when he was succeeded by the Rev. Stanislaus Gorka. Father Gorka remained as pastor until July 1931. During his pastorate, in 1919, he built a convent for the Sisters of the Holy Family, and in 1924, a new church was built.
In July, 1931, Father Anthony Rosewicz became the pastor of St. Casmir's, serving until 1937, when Father Gorka again returned to pastor this parish. Father Gorka was the was the attending chaplain in 1941. Priests who have served at St. Casimir's more recently include: Rev. Thomas F. Lemos, C. S. C. (pastor, 1998), Rev. Robert G. Steigmeyer, C. S. C. (in residence, 1998), Rev. David J. Porterfield, C.S.C. (pastor, 2003) and Rev. Christopher W. Cox, C.S.C. (associate pastor, 2003).
St. Joseph County is presently encompassed within the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend.
· St. Casimir (est. 1899) 1308 W. Dunham St. - South Bend, IN 46619 Phone: (219) 287-9551.
Source: The Diocese of Fort Wayne, 1857-September 22-1907, A Book of Historical Reference, 1669-1907. By the Rt. Rev. H. J. Alerding. Fort Wayne: The Archer Printing Co. 1907
Information submitted by: Jim Piechorowski and John Kovatch
Created: Thursday, August 18, 2005, 8:02:15 PM
Updated: Sunday, August 21, 2005 10:26:16 AM
Saint Joseph County, Indiana INGenWeb Site