Morgan County Naturalizations
Hosted websites will become read-only beginning in early 2024. At that time, all logins will be disabled, but hosted sites will remain on RootsWeb as static content.
Website owners wishing to maintain their sites must migrate to a different hosting provider before 2024 (More info)
INDEX TO NATURALIZATION RECORDS
MORGAN COUNTY ILLINOIS
This is a more complete index to Morgan County Naturalization Records - the names contained in the
separate file called "Index to 426 Naturalizations" elsewhere on this web page should appear in these
files. We've decided to put both files online since Florence indicated that there should be at least one
paper on file for each name contained in the "426 Index". She stated that many the naturalization
documents were destroyed back in the 1960's due to lack of space (with permission from the State)
so there may or may not be documents on file for many of these individuals. She also said that there
are no petitions for naturalizations which contain family history.
She had the following notes on the requirements for citizenship in the front of the index. I
thought it was interesting.
1. Any White person of European descent
2. Born in the Colonies
3. Loyal to the cause of the American Revolution
4. Automatically became a citizen of the colony in which he resided.
1. Articles of Confederation of the 13 United States
2. Decreed common citizenship regardless of state of residence
1. Resident of the U.S. for 2 years
2. Residence in a state for 1 year
3. Took oath to support the constitution
1. 14 year residence
2. Declaration of Intent files 5 years before filing final papers
1. Resident of the United States for 5 years
2. Resident of state for 1 year
3. Declaration of Intent filed 3 years previously
4. Witnesses as to good moral character
5. Oath of Allegiance to the U.S.
6. Renouncement forever to "all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, State
or Sovereignty Whatever", and particularly to the designated head of the country where the
applicant had been a subject.
7. Automatic citizenship for children of naturalized parents
8. Special provision for wives of naturalized males
Column abbreviations used are as follows:
D/INT = Declaration of Intention - 1st Papers;
P/CIT = Petition for Citizenship - 2nd Papers;
NFP - Naturalized Final Papers..
Return to Home Page
All Rights Reserved ©Copyright 2000
All material contained on these pages are furnished for the free
use of those engaged researching their family origins. Any commercial use,
without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited.
All persons contributing material for posting on these pages does
so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further,
is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.